ac_AssaultCube
(I don't know where to put this, live with it.)

My first map (made in Linux), under the name "ac_AssaultCube" (let me know if you get it.)

For whatever reason, it doesn't work in multiplayer. Try getting it into the actual game to be able to play it against bots.

Now would be a good time to tell you to rename it to .cgz so you can use it.

Since the forum's attachment feature is being stupid, you'll have to get it here: http://www.filedropper.com/acassaultcube
Thanks given by:
Use Akimbo to host maps so that we only have to "/getmap thenameofyourmap" to get it in-game.
It probably does not work in multiplayer as it does not fit the map restrictions, check at the error message and compare it with the 1.2 map restrictions values if needed.
Thanks given by:
(02 Nov 15, 01:46AM)ExodusS Wrote: Use Akimbo to host maps so that we only have to "/getmap thenameofyourmap" to get it in-game.
It probably does not work in multiplayer as it does not fit the map restrictions, check at the error message and compare it with the 1.2 map restrictions values if needed.
I kept on posting it at Akimbo and it kept on telling me that I needed it turned into a zip, and it already was. I need serious help...
Thanks given by:
(02 Nov 15, 03:30AM)BluffCreek Wrote: I need serious help...

Yep.

Start with the "Map editing" section here:
http://assault.cubers.net/docs/

and fill in missing details from here:
http://forum.cubers.net/thread-6549.html

Most important: keep your wqd out of the red zone!

If the current state of your map is what you had in mind, however, you are mapping for the wrong game, I'm afraid.
Thanks given by:
If you need help why not post in the Help section? Or Mapping and Modding?
Thanks given by:
(02 Nov 15, 12:57PM)Marti Wrote: If you need help why not post in the Help section? Or Mapping and Modding?

Half of the times I don't get answered in any of those sections so this kinda explains why I posted it here and not in those other 2 sections.

(02 Nov 15, 11:30AM)stef Wrote:
(02 Nov 15, 03:30AM)BluffCreek Wrote: I need serious help...

Yep.

Start with the "Map editing" section here:
http://assault.cubers.net/docs/

and fill in missing details from here:
http://forum.cubers.net/thread-6549.html

Most important: keep your wqd out of the red zone!

If the current state of your map is what you had in mind, however, you are mapping for the wrong game, I'm afraid.
What's a WQD?
Thanks given by:
Man... It's like you don't even try - Not to be mean... But...
[Image: kV1K54X.png?1]

From https://assault.cubers.net/docs/mapediting4.html
Quote:World Quads (WQD)
The WQD count can be found by typing /showstats 2. Some figures will appear at the right of your screen, one of them will be WQD...

WQD is a good way to measure how good your map will or won't lag. Maps should ideally average a maximum of 5000 WQD (less is better). It's okay for your map to exceed this if it's only a little bit more in a short area. Keep in mind that lights and details will raise the WQD counts, so a rough layout won't really represent the final WQD values of a map. In an empty map (layout is the only completed part) which only has corridors and basic geometry, WQD shouldn't be above 1000. This leaves enough overhang for details, lightning and mapmodels.
Thanks given by:
type /showstats 2 to see the wdq
Thanks given by:
(02 Nov 15, 10:58PM)+f0r3v3r+ Wrote: Man... It's like you don't even try - Not to be mean... But...
[Image: kV1K54X.png?1]

From https://assault.cubers.net/docs/mapediting4.html
Quote:World Quads (WQD)
The WQD count can be found by typing /showstats 2. Some figures will appear at the right of your screen, one of them will be WQD...

WQD is a good way to measure how good your map will or won't lag. Maps should ideally average a maximum of 5000 WQD (less is better). It's okay for your map to exceed this if it's only a little bit more in a short area. Keep in mind that lights and details will raise the WQD counts, so a rough layout won't really represent the final WQD values of a map. In an empty map (layout is the only completed part) which only has corridors and basic geometry, WQD shouldn't be above 1000. This leaves enough overhang for details, lightning and mapmodels.
No need to be a jerk about it. I don't read the docs because they don't properly explain, so that's why I'm asking.

Maybe you can be nicer for a change.
Thanks given by:
Relax, I was only having some fun at your expense... Sorry...
I thought is was funny anyway...

The reason I made the post though, is because the Docs do explain everything you were asking - I even quoted the relevant section of them to explain the WQD question.

And even MPx fails to see where my post mentions the same thing he says....

(02 Nov 15, 10:58PM)+f0r3v3r+ Wrote: The WQD count can be found by typing /showstats 2.
Thanks given by: MPx
(03 Nov 15, 01:36AM)+f0r3v3r+ Wrote: Relax, I was only having some fun at your expense... Sorry...
I thought is was funny anyway...

The reason I made the post though, is because the Docs do explain everything you were asking - I even quoted the relevant section of them to explain the WQD question.

And even MPx fails to see where my post mentions the same thing he says....

(02 Nov 15, 10:58PM)+f0r3v3r+ Wrote: The WQD count can be found by typing /showstats 2.
But you have to think about whether they think it's rude or not before you say it.

+f0r3v3r+ Wrote:And even MPx fails to see where my post mentions the same thing as he says....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2ZGBNpYo5g
Thanks given by:
(03 Nov 15, 03:17AM)BluffCreek Wrote: But you have to think about whether they think it's rude or not before you say it.

Nothing was "rude"
It was just a meme with a little joke, you don't have to take it personally and make a big deal about it. As far as I can tell, forever is only trying to help you...so thankfully accept it without being over sensitive
Thanks given by: +f0r3v3r+
Thank you to the moderator who deleted the balls post! :)
Thanks given by:
It was funny, no one thinks it's rude. If you think that was rude you're gonna have a bad time here on the internet
Thanks given by:
lol champo so defensive over forever :o
Thanks given by: BluffCreek
they are being passive aggressive because they don't like your map

this forum is run by children, don't take it personally

[Image: wyt7vCL.png]
Thanks given by: BluffCreek
(03 Nov 15, 12:54PM)Marti Wrote: It was funny, no one thinks it's rude. If you think that was rude you're gonna have a bad time here on the internet

Hey. People are different.

(03 Nov 15, 04:15PM)Undead Wrote: they are being passive aggressive because they don't like your map

this forum is run by children, don't take it personally

[Image: wyt7vCL.png]

How can you see all this? EDIT: I just realized your warning level's at 50%, so no wonder you can see it.
Thanks given by:
Your zip doesn't open on my machine, any chance you could upload it somewhere as is, or tar it? IDK how you zipped it but since Akimbo rejected it and my computer doesn't want it, it looks like there's something wrong with your zip (don't use ZIP64).

I really want to see that map.

Anyway, while you should pay attention to wqd, don't get too hung up on it. The wqd value of 5K has been there for as long as I can remember (6 years), while AC targets older and low-end machines, low end from 6 years ago is very different from low end today. One of the best unofficial maps, ac_magic-school, has a wqd reach up to a modest 130K (yes, 130000, thirteen followed by mere four zeroes) around the RVSF base. I think this is the standard you should aim to - you're allowed to map outside the box. The official orthodoxy is more of a guideline anyway.
Thanks given by:
(02 Nov 15, 01:26AM)BluffCreek Wrote: Now would be a good time to tell you to rename it to .cgz so you can use it.

Maybe that is what he meant, and why you can't use it.
That may also be why it wouldn't upload to akimbo...
Maybe it needs to be named with .cgz.zip since the upload function is likely checking against file extension in the name...

Just a guess...

EDIT: No, that "zip" archive is completely broken it would seem...
Thanks given by:
(04 Nov 15, 12:11PM)JMM Wrote: Your zip doesn't open on my machine, any chance you could upload it somewhere as is, or tar it? IDK how you zipped it but since Akimbo rejected it and my computer doesn't want it, it looks like there's something wrong with your zip (don't use ZIP64).

I really want to see that map.

Anyway, while you should pay attention to wqd, don't get too hung up on it. The wqd value of 5K has been there for as long as I can remember (6 years), while AC targets older and low-end machines, low end from 6 years ago is very different from low end today. One of the best unofficial maps, ac_magic-school, has a wqd reach up to a modest 130K (yes, 130000, thirteen followed by mere four zeroes) around the RVSF base. I think this is the standard you should aim to - you're allowed to map outside the box. The official orthodoxy is more of a guideline anyway.
Finally, a post with proper explaination. Thank you! :D (no sarcasm here.)

(04 Nov 15, 04:52PM)+f0r3v3r+ Wrote:
(02 Nov 15, 01:26AM)BluffCreek Wrote: Now would be a good time to tell you to rename it to .cgz so you can use it.

Maybe that is what he meant, and why you can't use it.
That may also be why it wouldn't upload to akimbo...
Maybe it needs to be named with .cgz.zip since the upload function is likely checking against file extension in the name...

Just a guess...

EDIT: No, that "zip" archive is completely broken it would seem...
It wouldn't post anywhere else, and it wouldn't let me compress it into a zip.
Thanks given by:
(04 Nov 15, 08:55PM)BluffCreek Wrote: ....it wouldn't let me compress it into a zip.

Can I ask what utility you are using for compression?
Thanks given by:
(04 Nov 15, 09:56PM)+f0r3v3r+ Wrote:
(04 Nov 15, 08:55PM)BluffCreek Wrote: ....it wouldn't let me compress it into a zip.

Can I ask what utility you are using for compression?

Linux operating systems have their own built in compresser. If I needed to get one, 99% of them would be for Windows, not Linux.
Thanks given by:
Yeah but did you use tar, bzip2, gzip, file-roller?
Those are all used by various distros.
I was more interested in how you made the archive, not a lesson on Windows program availability.
Specifically - I was curious if you did it in the terminal or by a GUI based utility.

Clearly something happened that made your zip file unusable once it is downloaded - so I was trying to help you figure out why.
If you are so good at compressing archives then it should not be broken.
Maybe you could humor me and answer the question?

Note: I read that you used Linux in your first post.
You are not the only one.

Without knowing what you are doing or doing wrong, I can offer a simple terminal solution.
Change directory in to the folder where your map is and use something like this:
zip ac_AssaultCube.zip ac_AssaultCube.cgz
That is a really simplified example that would take the file ac_AssaultCube.cgz and create an archive containing it named ac_AssaultCube.zip
Without knowing what compression software you have installed on your system, I can't say that zip file would be universally acceptable. But I would say it would at least work on any *nix system.
Thanks given by:
(05 Nov 15, 12:12AM)+f0r3v3r+ Wrote: Yeah but did you use tar, bzip2, gzip, file-roller, archive manager?
Those are all used by various distros.
I was more interested in how you made the archive, not a lesson on Windows program availability.
Specifically - I was curious if you did it in the terminal or by a GUI based utility.

Clearly something happened that made your zip file unusable once it is downloaded - so I was trying to help you figure out why.
If you are so good at compressing archives then it should not be broken.
Maybe you could humor me and answer the question?

Note: I read that you used Linux in your first post.
You are not the only one.

My archive manager doesn't let me archive .cgz files. Where do we go from here?
Thanks given by:
Well... What distribution are you using?
Thanks given by:
(05 Nov 15, 01:02AM)+f0r3v3r+ Wrote: Well... What distribution are you using?
Ubuntu 12.04. A lot of people use this version.
Thanks given by:
Yes...
Sadly, there is an issue with the context menu where it does not give the option to compress an archive. Since .cgz is already an archive this means that when you right-click the .cgz file it doesn't give an option to compress it.

You could instead compress the .cfg file, or make an empty zip archive, then open that zip with archive manager. Then drag and drop the .cgz in to archive manager.
Then the cgz should be added to the .zip

Otherwise, if you know the directory structure for where the .cgz is located I could walk you through doing it in Terminal.
Thanks given by:
(05 Nov 15, 01:13AM)+f0r3v3r+ Wrote: Yes...
Sadly, there is an issue with the context menu where it does not give the option to compress an archive. Since .cgz is already an archive this means that when you right-click the .cgz file it doesn't give an option to compress it.

You could instead compress the .cfg file, or make an empty zip archive, then open that zip with archive manager. Then drag and drop the .cgz in to archive manager.
Then the cgz should be added to the .zip

Otherwise, if you know the directory structure for where the .cgz is located I could walk you through doing it in Terminal.
Or I can make a new folder, stick it in there, then compress it.
Thanks given by:
Yes that should work too...
Thanks given by:
(05 Nov 15, 01:27AM)+f0r3v3r+ Wrote: Yes that should work too...

I guess I'll give it a whirl.

It works!

Link removed.
Thanks given by: