"failed to resolve host ms.cubers.net" on all machines and installs
Hello-

I recently upgraded (with a fresh install) from Ubuntu 19.10, to Ubuntu 20.04.
When I was using Ubuntu 19.10, AssaultCube worked properly and perfectly, but now on 20.04 (on all of my machines), I have been yet to have success joining a multiplayer game.

I've joined the forum because I've not been able to find any other solution, anywhere.
After trying using both AssaultCube from the Ubuntu 20.04 archive (sudo apt install -y assaultcube), and then the game compiled from source (with the following script I wrote: https://gist.github.com/birdrocksfeather...499d3bd732 ), I've not been able to join games as I could when I was using 19.10.

The error message I get when I try to load-up the server list is: "failed to resolve host ms.cubers.net".

In case I've accidentally been banned, or you need my name for finding my session logs for debugging, my machine's AssaultCube usernames that I use are: raspberrybird, raspberrybirb, and raspberrybirdo
If you need my IP address (ipv4) I can send it in a follow-up post

I wonder if it's a simple case of missing a dependency, or something, as it was working fine before.
(and I'm sorry if it's a simple fix and I'm making a fool of myself by posting this)

Please help, I really like this game, it's been my favourite for open-source LAN parties for a while (a few years!), but I also like to play it to cool-off after hard days

Thanks,
Raspberry
Thanks given by:
It looks like problem with DNS server. What does "ping ms.cubers.net" show?

You can run AC in such way: sh assaultcube.sh -m167.114.49.127

https://assault.cubers.net/docs/commandl...l#client-m
Thanks given by: raspberrybirdeau
(12 Jun 20, 11:34PM)grenadier Wrote: It looks like problem with DNS server. What does "ping ms.cubers.net" show?

You can run AC in such way: sh assaultcube.sh -m167.114.49.127

https://assault.cubers.net/docs/commandl...l#client-m

The output of that ping seems normal to me.

Oh! Running the game with the $ sh assaultcube.sh -m167.114.49.127 command seems to fix it! That's wonderful- what does that *mean*, and why didn't it work by default? Is there any way the issue can be addressed for other players so nobody else would experience the issue? Perhaps by adding this to the .desktop file that the compile script makes by default?

Thank you for your help :)

I do still see an error on startup in the console saying;
"successfully pinged 0 media servers, 1 failure, 0 disabled"

Will this be an issue for my experience? I can seemingly connect to and play on gameservers fine.
Thanks given by:
Something wrong with DNS server which you use.
Do websites work correctly in Internet browser?
Thanks given by:
(13 Jun 20, 05:32PM)grenadier Wrote: Something wrong with DNS server which you use.

Yes, they do- I've had no networking issues or misbehaviours with anything else on my machine. It's a fully working workstation/gaming PC, this is the only time I've had an issue.

Are there any commands I can use to help us diagnose it?

(13 Jun 20, 10:04PM)raspberrybirdeau Wrote:
(13 Jun 20, 05:32PM)grenadier Wrote: Something wrong with DNS server which you use.

Yes, they do- I've had no networking issues or misbehaviours with anything else on my machine. It's a fully working workstation/gaming PC, this is the only time I've had an issue.

Are there any commands I can use to help us diagnose it?

I use the Bash shell, as is the default, in case that matters. Or if there are any in-game comments to help diagnose the problems.
Thanks given by:
X-Ray_Dog advices to test Google's public DNS servers: 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4

You can set them in network configuration on your operating system (first do a copy of IP of currently used DNS servers).
(14 Jun 20, 12:17PM)grenadier Wrote: X-Ray_Dog advices to test Google's public DNS servers: 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4

You can set them in network configuration on your operating system (first do a copy of IP of currently used DNS servers).

I checked, and in my router settings I was using Google's DNS already- with my machines being set to "automatic" (meaning, using Google's DNS as my router is). I decided to manually set the DNS to 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4 regardless in case something went wrong in that automatic procedure somehow, but no, same result of the failure to find and use the media server.

So it's not that.
Thanks given by:
I've gathered further information by running the game in a Terminal, and snooping around the logs, and found the following *suspect* lines. Please advise what I should try, based on these;

resolving hostname packages.cubers.net failed (0.0.0.0)
successfully pinged 0 media servers, 1 failure, 0 disabled

It seems, very much so, that there is something wrong with how the game (or my system) is trying to use DNS to figure out the IP of packages.cubers.net, and that's why there's the failure in pinging the media servers.

I will repeat that I've had no DNS issues on my system, or internet-related issues in any other application or game, and that I'm using Google's DNS right now.
Thanks given by:
Could you check in Sauerbraten?
Okay, I've just downloaded the version of sauer in the Ubuntu 20.04 archives.

Yeah, Sauerbraten has a similar error "master server not replying", when I click the server list, with no servers appearing to connect to.
Thanks given by:
I will add that Sauerbraten also used to work perfectly on Ubuntu 19.10.
Thanks given by: