Poll: More or less official maps?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
More
76.09%
70 76.09%
Less
23.91%
22 23.91%
Total 92 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

More official maps, or less official maps?
(07 Oct 12, 02:49PM)ShadowFlameZ Wrote: YWC: If I were including 1x1's in matches (and by matches I meant inters/CMs) then I wouldn't have said douze and desert aren't played that often (I would know, I've voted douze in 1v1s before :3).
So we were talking about another kind of match then :) anyway you understood the point when i said that depot had a simple lay-out.
Quote:If you continue with that argument, you could say that a bunch of maps are rather "simple"...
Yes? Thats what i say and what is true...
Quote:As klein said, shad-99's maps would be fun for pubs for sure (as they are presently), but I'm not so sure about for matches. He wasn't at all implying that shad-99 was "whining" - you brought that up! :P
At least the point was that shad-99 shouldnt act ungratefull because: hey his maps are played often on pubs. But the whole point of this is not if his maps are good for matching or not. The thing is if the argument klein gave was good. In my idea it wasnt because the 'simpleness' of a lay-out doesnt imply 'bad matchmap'. Thats all.
Thanks given by:
(07 Oct 12, 04:02PM)YesWeCamp Wrote:
Quote:As klein said, shad-99's maps would be fun for pubs for sure (as they are presently), but I'm not so sure about for matches. He wasn't at all implying that shad-99 was "whining" - you brought that up! :P
At least the point was that shad-99 shouldnt act ungratefull because: hey his maps are played often on pubs. But the whole point of this is not if his maps are good for matching or not. The thing is if the argument klein gave was good. In my idea it wasnt because the 'simpleness' of a lay-out doesnt imply 'bad matchmap'. Thats all.

This is soo true. And I think you are making shadd's maps look bad cause Shad has maps on almost every 'niveau'. Easy's with 2 routes and less 'short cuts' and more difficult-ones with 3 or more ways and 'short cuts' every where.

as you can tell:
* ThePrinter is a big fan of Shad's maps!
Thanks given by:
-Heheh ty my inky friend xDDDD
Thanks given by:
shad's maps ftw
Thanks given by:
(07 Oct 12, 08:22PM)Jg99 Wrote: shad's maps ftw
Indeed.

Printer, nobody is making shad's maps look bad. Klein and I have both played on his server numerous times, and we like his maps. If you want, ask Undead or Roflcopter to say what they think of the maps from a "match" perspective.
Thanks given by:
Indeed. As much as I have played on shads maps, and as much as I love(d) to play on them, they are terrible in terms of competitive gameplay.
Thanks given by:
Well if you can't play any map.. then u shouldn't play matches at all?..
Good player .. as i say again.. can play and perform on any map.. .. IF not they shouldn't play matches at all.. or maybe some well trained maps that the only know of?..

advantage and dissadvantage is equal for both team what ever map they play on as long as the change side on eatch map.. witch should be the case.. (that is on matches on other games).. -Why not in AC?

-No more hypocrit.. -just do play and have fun.. (it's all about the game ) accept it and move on!
Thanks given by:
(08 Oct 12, 05:15PM)shad-99 Wrote: ...

the question is not whether a map is balanced or not, but rather, if it makes for great gameplay.

i'll be honest, i haven't seen many of your maps, but if you want my analysis then send me a map pack or something similar, i'm aware you've made alot of maps.
Thanks given by:
guys, if you map for the default package (AC match style), you must follow some rules and style and it has already been defined, for example the tutorial from Floppy. You can study current default maps and you will discover these rules too.

But i think a potential good mapper shouldn't read them because he gets this way the definition what is good and vice versa. It is exactly what destroy his naive view on this game and his creativity goes to shits.

The real progress is in details. The new untouched mapper try to cheat Cube engine his way, during cheating he produces new stuff (represented in combinations entities, textures, ...), what move the game forward. Do you remember first snow in AC ? ;) It wasn't in default map.

The discussions about Shad maps: his maps are possible for matches but it is arena style maps what isn't default AC style. The definition of good map depends who evaluates. Dev, match whore, noob .... unfortunately AC tends in last version to evaluate maps from default view.
Thanks given by:
Alien Wrote:The definition of good map depends who evaluates.
+1. i didn't want to start a discussion about his maps. maybe ywc puts a little bit too much effort into this. all i wanted to say is that (imo) shad is wrong if he thinks no one likes his maps. i do btw.
Thanks given by:
Yes Klein, i see that point and you are right that Shad is wrong to think his maps are unpopular. I think however that no-one really took the time to examine his maps carefully to see if theyre of use for matchplay, or how they could be of use.

Id vote f1 for shad packaging his maps and send it to Undead so they can be checked for matchplay. Even though the package that exists now also has maps that are not good for matchplay. I think some of Shads map have, looking at the funtime i had, really potential to be official maps. But on the other hand as Alien states his maps may not fit ACs default maps. Thats the devs that have to decide i guess.

Anyway, official or not, i want a 40+ server back.
Thanks given by:
Well personally i don't like over doing maps.. (to much details).. boxes every were and shit laying on the floor blocking your move on map.... .that makes me not want to play certain maps.. due to it's complexity and stuff :(..

I'm not very much to to much of details my self.. im more to the fun and fast paste game mode, and make maps for it.. .-trying diff layouts etc.

Well and that examination stuff i don't really care and bout.. -That's not the point.. you can examine as much as u like.. but if you stuck in same sk. AC-style.. -then i think your in wrong direction of keep this game alive in the long run.

This is what i feel and think.. -Noting much tough.. -But community is so focused on detail maps and match.. and the majority isn't!.. well if you really look and see ... all seems to be based on a map is match worthy or not?.. -crap!.. it's up to the players once again if they are flexible and good enough to play many different maps and so .. and swap team on each map .. to make it more equal and fair game.

-Don't know how many times i have to repeat my self on this.. But i guess you won't listen any way?
Thanks given by:
I'm the same way, shad. :D
Gameplay over Details.
Thanks given by:
What's holding up the beta? ,_,
Thanks given by:
I have now come to a point where I don’t understand the relevance of the “Official map”. With certain server map rotations and voting privileges you can play any map for whatever mode and occasion you would like. I personally believe the management of server map rotations, map mode restrictions, max number of players, etc; would be more beneficial in improving the game.
Thanks given by:
http://forum.cubers.net/thread-5299.html
Official gogo.
Thanks given by: