8th Official Mapping Competition!
We're now part way into 2013, so a new mapping competition follows! Hopefully the theme will provide a wide variety of maps and we see some creative content.

The theme is history. We've had several themes over the years, and some have not particularly appealed to certain people. I hope that this theme can provide enough diversity that contestents can enter a map based on a theme they will like.

Bare in mind that if you are to use custom content, please be sensitive. Whilst in this competition a world war 2 map is plausible, a swastika is not. Just try to be a bit considerate when making the content. I've given you my trust. ;)

As these maps are to be based on history, entrants are required to at least provide what specific historical event their map is based on, whether in a map message, or upon uploading and posting it onto this thread.

So whilst the 7th competition was a bit of a flop, the judging was sound. With the departure of noobicus from the judges round table, a new veteran has joined us. They are as follows:
Judges: Cleaner, DogDancing, Ronald_Reagan, Snoosnoo, Waffles.
Chairman: Snoosnoo.

Criteria is repeated as of last year. The judges will be rating:
Theme
Textures
Lighting
Detail
Sounds
Layout/Gameplay
Average (overall of the above)
This will be rated from 1-10.

The start date is right now (2nd of March) up until June 16th.

The rules are the same as 7th competiton:
* Map wasn't released anywhere before
* One map per person (more than one person per map is fine)
* No stealing
* No judge was involved in the process of making the map
* Anyone can enter, no requirements are set based off mapping experience

If you enter a map before the deadline, you can work on it some more, the latest version will be the one to be judged.

You can make a coop map, but all people must be listed and they must not be listed on another map that is for the contest (in the case a coop map wins, its up to the persons who made the map to decide on how to split the prize, not the judges).

If you are new and working with a coop partner, this still counts as a new mapper, but only the new person in the team will get the prize (so please define who is new), if there are multiply people in the group who are new to mapping, its between those persons to define how to split it.

The prizes will be discussed and/or donated at a later time.

Custom Media is allowed, but any maps with custom media will be judged in a different category. Custom skybox, textures, mapmodels, sounds, etc, are allowed and there is no limit to the number you may use.

With this, there will 3 be different categories in which you can win. Best newcomer, best map with custom media, best map with default models/textures. Each category will be judged on their own. Meaning each newcomer will be judged with other newcomers, custom content with other custom content, etc.

Good luck to all entrants, I hope we see a decent flow of competitors!

Many thanks for reading; Snoosnoo.

Custom Content Rules Updates...by Cleaner

Regarding custom content, since I am part of the jury I will NOT during this period (2 march - 16 june) create any new mapmodels on request, not even for those who are not taking part to the competition.
It could give some unfair advantage to some mappers but it will also give me a little break to concentrate on more official forthcoming content and stuff.

However, if a mapper find something useful on AKIMBO let me know and I will double check that item for optimization and compatibility for V1.2.
Please make sure you really are going to use that particular item, don't make me waste my time this would only upset me and my opinion on your map may not be as impartial as it should be.

Thank you for your comprehension.

Entries thus far are as follows - click image to download.

ac_pompeii By Z3R0
[Image: 8814358026_c1477da251_z.jpg]

ac_chernobyl by Pi_Halo

[Image: ac_chernobyl_zpsf9e1a9f4.jpg]

ac_agora by MathiasB

[Image: Agora-by-MathiasB.png]
Thanks given by:
Wooohoooo!

I will try to enter this contest (and break my combo of 2nd place finishes).

Before anyone else ask, can you give some examples of how to fit history into an Assault Cube map and engine?
Also does future (history not made just yet) count as history?
Thanks given by:
Thanks Pi_Halo for you douchebaggery. questions.

To answer your questions, a few examples of something that could be considered 'historic' is my very own map, ac_wildwest, or ac_graben could be considered historical. Providing you have a themed map, and it can be put to a historical event (From roman civilizations either ruins or from the 'present day' to the bronze age, featuring caves & cave drawings.)

It really can be about anything.

As for your second question, you're comment is a bit of an oxymoron. To be considered 'historical' it has to of happened.
Thanks given by:
(02 Mar 13, 06:24PM)Pi_Halo Wrote: I will try to enter this contest (and break my combo of 2nd place finishes).
Combo Breaker. :3

I liked some of the desert cities in the recent wars in afghanistan & iraq but didn't know if those were too new. How old should the history be, Snoo?

I'll try to jump on a new mapper's back for some coop action.
Thanks given by:
(02 Mar 13, 06:42PM)Nightmare Wrote: I liked some of the desert cities in the recent wars in afghanistan & iraq but didn't know if those were too new. How old should the history be, Snoo?

I understand that what is considered 'history' can be far and few between. I would indeed consider that to be a historical event, since the forces are being pulled out!
Thanks given by:
If I may comment.
1) Since this is a contest for a game. The gameplay of the map should be more important than any other criteria. The grade average will must be relative. Being that the gameplay criterion should be worth more points.
2) The version 1.2 is to be released. We are at a moment of transition between the releases of the game. A good map in version 1.1 can become a bad map in version 1.2? Technically speaking.
IMO
Thanks given by:
(02 Mar 13, 07:10PM)1Cap Wrote: I may comment.
2) The version 1.2 is to be released. We are at a moment of transition between the releases of the game. A good map in version 1.1 can become a bad map in version 1.2? Technically speaking.
IMO
not really
Thanks given by:
feel bad for aNy
just released his map yesterday...
Thanks given by:
(02 Mar 13, 07:36PM)#M|A#Wolf Wrote:
(02 Mar 13, 07:10PM)1Cap Wrote: I may comment.
IMO
not really

Just don't use rbbox and you'll be fine - the config file will convert over OK.
Thanks given by:
(02 Mar 13, 08:02PM)Xenon Wrote: feel bad for aNy
just released his map yesterday...

Was his map historical?
Thanks given by:
(02 Mar 13, 07:10PM)1Cap Wrote: 2) The version 1.2 is to be released. We are at a moment of transition between the releases of the game. A good map in version 1.1 can become a bad map in version 1.2? Technically speaking.
IMO

I don't get why you asked a question then said "IMO"

There are various bug fixes/improvements for 1.2 editing but not any changes in map format yet. So far the main difference (in the maps themselves) is a bug fix that will change textures to the wrong texture on /savemap on cubes around certain heightfields.

You can get around that with this custom mapping client which fixes that bug.

Now for some potential features (that make new possibilities for maps) that could come to 1.2 or the next version of AC:
  • Mapmodels with negative z offsets
  • Mapmodels z adjustments in fractions of cubes
  • Mapmodel yaw in more directions
  • Mapmodel shadow yaw
  • Mapmodel shadow distance
  • Mapmodel tilt
I personally don't think I will enter since I developed these features among others that facilitate mapping which makes me cringe with the 1.1 mapping system. Maybe 1.2 will be released before the deadline with these features then I'll have a second thought.
Thanks given by:
(02 Mar 13, 06:42PM)Nightmare Wrote: I liked some of the desert cities in the recent wars in afghanistan & iraq but didn't know if those were too new. How old should the history be, Snoo?

I'll try to jump on a new mapper's back for some coop action.

Remember that if you are toeing the line then you might lose some points in the theme category. It is something each Judge will determine for themselves.

It might be worth mentioning what to do if 1.2 gets released during the contest. Will maps be judged on 1.2? Remember that the map requirements are different between the versions.
Thanks given by:
1. The theme is very strange, and IMO more restricted than ever, can you give me 10 more exemples than the WWII that are possible to realise on AC? And what is very significiant from the WWII? Trenches?
2. Old rating system... http://forum.cubers.net/thread-6341-post...#pid119140
3. New official contents (SVN models/textures...) are counting as custom contents?
Thanks given by:
Why not just make everyone map onto 1.2 version?
Thanks given by:
Looking forward to see some neat entries :)
GL to all
Thanks given by:
(02 Mar 13, 11:09PM)RandumKiwi Wrote: Why not just make everyone map onto 1.2 version?

+1
Thanks given by:
Release it and we will. ;)
Thanks given by:
(03 Mar 13, 12:07AM)Nightmare Wrote: Release it and we will. ;)

Get an SVN client :P
Thanks given by:
(02 Mar 13, 10:39PM).ExodusS* Wrote: 1. The theme is very strange, and IMO more restricted than ever, can you give me 10 more exemples than the WWII that are possible to realise on AC? And what is very significiant from the WWII? Trenches?

Egypt, mayans, wild west, medieval castles, gold rush, gettysburg, hamlet, dinosaur caves, ellis island, alcatraz.

That wasn't super hard.

(02 Mar 13, 11:57PM)Luc@s Wrote:
(02 Mar 13, 11:09PM)RandumKiwi Wrote: Why not just make everyone map onto 1.2 version?

+1

+1
Thanks given by:
(03 Mar 13, 01:57AM)Ronald_Reagan Wrote: alcatraz.

poor srpersian
Thanks given by:
(03 Mar 13, 01:57AM)Ronald_Reagan Wrote: dinosaur caves

Way to spoil my idea >:[
Thanks given by:
Nek minit, giant dinosaur map models.
Thanks given by:
(03 Mar 13, 02:35AM)DrauL Wrote: Nek minit, giant dinosaur map models.
ac_stoneage inbound.
Thanks given by:
By the way, version 1.2 of AC will feature Cleaner's OLDCLOCK mapmodel, that is so popularised in many AC maps to date.

Theme is history amirite?

(Note: In different location than normal, see SVN).
Thanks given by:
(03 Mar 13, 01:57AM)Ronald_Reagan Wrote:
(02 Mar 13, 10:39PM).ExodusS* Wrote: 1. The theme is very strange, and IMO more restricted than ever, can you give me 10 more exemples than the WWII that are possible to realise on AC? And what is very significiant from the WWII? Trenches?

Egypt, mayans, wild west, medieval castles, gold rush, gettysburg, hamlet, dinosaur caves, ellis island, alcatraz.

That wasn't super hard.

I can name 10 more as well; Bronze age, victorian, chinese dynasties, Renaissance, Greece, atomic war era, any of the world wars, space age/cold war, Aztec, and just to give a city that has loads of history, Auschwitz (minus the nazi symbols, this would work)
Thanks given by:
Mannn the possibilities I'm really looking forward to what people can come up with, like some GREEK or ROMAN temples, NATIVE AMERICAN settlements as well as old colonial settlements(Spanish and English).

Can't wait, hope a lot of mappers get involved in this, even none mappers/beginners its never to late to start!
Thanks given by:
(02 Mar 13, 06:42PM)Nightmare Wrote: How old should the history be?

for something to be classed as history its smart to follow the 20 year rule. so anything before 1993 could be classed as history. then again i think about every AC map could fit into the 1980s.

i guess you don't really like history

(03 Mar 13, 04:00AM)Pi_Halo Wrote: Auschwitz

i am looking forward to your realistic depiction of auschwitz.
Thanks given by:
(03 Mar 13, 04:56AM)Undead Wrote:
(03 Mar 13, 04:00AM)Pi_Halo Wrote: Auschwitz

i am looking forward to your realistic depiction of auschwitz.
hahahahahahah lol
Thanks given by:
Not really a laughing matter wolf :\

But I did laugh at when .ExodusS* said it was more restricted than ever LOL history is endless, but he probably flunked out of 7th&8th grade history his.

OOOH just thought of one, Custers last stand! Anyone been there while going through the state? TBH there's nothing much there..but obviously you've got your imagination. OOOOH better one TOMBSTONE, now that be badass.
Thanks given by:
My map will be a green version of the Titanic with a desert city on top going in nighttime that has crashed into the side of a snowy island, thus exposing a cave system that runs underneath.
Thanks given by: