8th Official Mapping Competition!
These map contests should run much shorter in my honest opinion.
Get a theme you have no interest in and it's just too bad for you.
Thanks given by:
Agreed less time maps people want to map more and gives em some pressure and incentive.
Thanks given by:
(16 May 13, 10:03PM)Felix-The-Ghost Wrote: These map contests should run much shorter in my honest opinion.
Get a theme you have no interest in and it's just too bad for you.

This is why you'll have no map from me for sure. It's everything but creative, lack of interest IMO.
Thanks given by:
(17 May 13, 10:40AM).ExodusS* Wrote: This is why you'll have no map from me for sure. It's everything but creative, lack of interest IMO.
History is interpretation isnt it? Anyway you cant really reproduce history with a couple of cubes. Feels not like a barrier for me in being creative.
Thanks given by:
Is there still no maps for this yet?
Thanks given by:
I'm hoping to have one. Kinda hard to do something that fits with both this theme AND the cube engine :P
Thanks given by:
DUCKY HOW ARE YOU
Thanks given by:
I would have joined this, but my lack of ideas and the theme itself made a hard time. :/
Thanks given by:
Honestly there's not a huge incentive to participate in these. Sad but reasonably true.
Thanks given by:
Incentive?

How about some tiny trophies then?
[Image: b2weMo4.png]
Thanks given by:
Hey guys, sorry for my lack of activity over the recent weeks. Sometimes the real world takes over. :c

As Halo mentioned, there is just under a month to go, and there is very few contestants (Well, actually 1 entry.) at the moment. I agree with the majority that there is no incentive, but there is little I can do. If I was to offer a reward, then the competition wouldn't be about making a good map, but just to win.

Despite a certain someone saying this theme isn't creative, any one with the slightest knowledge of history could conjure several ideas in their head. The theme was specifically thought of to overcome what the previous competitions have had issues with, and that is a lack of diversity. Implementation of the theme is a different subject all together, and I think it works in favour for the competition, as it adds a challenge.

I hope we see some entries toward the final days like most mappers seem to do, but I can tell this competition isn't a success. Regardless, I will judge the maps and part with my advice (No matter how shit you think I am as a mapper.) in an effort to promote mapping to the generation that will have to follow in the footsteps of the now lazy bunch. (Myself included, providing one more map. Yet to come.)

As mappers, we can either dismiss and quit mapping all together, or encourage others. I'm for the latter. The bare fact of it is that without the veterans encouraging the new-comers, you'll quickly see a dying art.
Thanks given by:
(19 May 13, 02:51PM)RKTnoob Wrote: Incentive?

Actually that's a pretty good idea for an account badge (like the AC logo badge for staff)

My personal aversion to this theme is for me there'd be three variables to line up: a map following a historic theme, a map that fits the "AC" theme at the same time, a map that doesn't use custom content and it's just too much for me to bother. The average person isn't ultra excited about history in the first place to be motivated.
Thanks given by:
People, start recreating Westeros from Game of Thrones.
ac_winterfell.
Thanks given by:
(20 May 13, 07:14PM)Felix-The-Ghost Wrote:
(19 May 13, 02:51PM)RKTnoob Wrote: Incentive?

Actually that's a pretty good idea for an account badge (like the AC logo badge for staff)

^ I had the same though when I saw those cubes :P
A colored cube with the year of the contest (ex: gold cube 2014).
Thanks given by:
Yea I guess the badges are some form of incentive.
What about something a bit bigger though, like if you win the map contest your map becomes has a reasonably good chance at becoming official? (I have faith in the scoring of the judges for this map contest)
Perhaps some may think that's too risky, but hey, better than nothing. Not like any of the winners of the map contests (where actual judges have decided the winner - sorry unfrozen) weren't decent maps.
Thanks given by:
cumulative score above 9.5/10. RK on the judges panel. then MAYBE there could be a chance at that.

but seriously, incentive is exposure of your maps (although popular demand often gets more exposure than these competitions).

i'm willing to bet a certain judge would provide additional incentive, but would not do so without a spectacular achievement.

as long as one new map comes out of the competition and new mappers learn and put forward product i'd call that accomplishment. [cliche]rome wasn't built in a day[/cliche]
Thanks given by:
(21 May 13, 01:45AM)Waffles Wrote: [cliche]rome wasn't built in a day[/cliche]

thanks for the idea waffles!
Thanks given by:
i have had no part in helping anybody :D
Thanks given by:
Been postponing posting this cause I'm lazy.

Entry #1 homies.
ac_pompeii By Z3R0

[Image: 8814358026_c1477da251_z.jpg]

Download here.
Thanks given by:
Damn, that looks great!

My map is also on it's way, however it needs some more refinements...
Thanks given by:
Nice !!!

I made it compatible with 1.2 and uploaded it to akimbo :
http://ac-akimbo.net/showthread.php?tid=587

You can try it with the SVN w/o downloading manually.
just type "/getmap ac_pompeii" in game and vote it.
Thanks given by:
Fuck you're awesome lucas
Thanks given by:
svn_chernobyl by Halo

I must stress that this map is only available in svn. The new paths will make this map have far to many errors to be loaded in 1.1. Because it is all official content for svn, the map would be entered as a regular map entry.

[Image: ac_chernobyl_zpsf9e1a9f4.jpg]

download
Thanks given by:
And now we wait for cemer's map...

Could be a while.
Thanks given by:
(24 May 13, 04:30PM)Z3R0 Wrote: map

i dont really care what others think of it but this is the best map i have ever seen. holy shit.
Thanks given by:
Thanks Lucas, that's awesome! Seems Halo was waiting for me to go so he could steal the spotlight ;)
Thanks given by:
Will all contest maps be uploaded to be compatible with the autodownloader from akimbo?
Thanks given by:
they already are.

(http://ac-akimbo.net/showthread.php?tid=589 )
Thanks given by:
I knew about those two, I was more or less talking about any entries that would be posted in the future. Would they too be available for auto download features? I'm assuming yes
Thanks given by:
@Z3R0: wtf
@Halo: 644 mapmodels
Thanks given by: