8th Official Mapping Competition!
(19 Mar 13, 04:09AM)Cemer Wrote:
(11 Mar 13, 10:14AM)Bukz Wrote: If you want the "ultimate guide" search for the user "vern" on these forums. The URL in his user-title will answer the majority of your questions about it.

http://pastebin.com/BfwLUSCi

you are such a lazy bastard bukz :)

You should know by now that bukz is a synonym for dial-up ;)
Thanks given by:
(19 Mar 13, 08:03AM)Ronald_Reagan Wrote: You should know by now that bukz is a synonym for dial-up ;)
You should upgrade your Bukz to at least DSL, dude!
Thanks given by:
Good luck mates!
Maybe I'll join the competition next year, I need lessons from Halo first.
Have fun.
Thanks given by:
Well, maybe I'm just gonna participate :)
Thanks given by:
(26 Mar 13, 07:24AM)Nuts Wrote: Good luck mates!
Maybe I'll join the competition next year, I need lessons from Halo first.
Have fun.

You're better off learning how to map through reading docs, and then trying a map that YOU want to see made without help from veterans outside of technical questions. Players are most creative fresh from playing other fps games with more ambitious maps, and fresh with their own wacky ideas. Then learn how to make ac_stellar afterwards from Halo and try to find a good mix of fun gameplay and nice details. :)

off-topic: ac_arctic is a floating fortress of snowy doom.
http://i.imgur.com/aFs9IGs.jpg
Thanks given by:
(26 Mar 13, 12:51PM)Nightmare Wrote: off-topic: ac_arctic is a floating fortress of snowy doom.
http://i.imgur.com/aFs9IGs.jpg

Haha, name a map that isn't! :o
Thanks given by:
Most are clipped off so you can't tell without edit mode hax. ;)
Thanks given by:
Yeah, most are. 8 aren't. Go complain to makkE
Thanks given by:
(26 Mar 13, 12:51PM)Nightmare Wrote: Then learn how to make ac_stellar afterwards
No, not stellar for god's sake lol, make your own map.
Thanks given by:
I tried that already nightmare, made a map by myself, but it wasn't realy that good haha.
I also read documents, copied the most important keys to learn them etc.

Since then I didn't try mapping back, but I have always been interested.
Lucky me, Halo offered to help me and other players, I can't refuse that!

But thanks for the tipp mate :-)
Thanks given by:
There's nothing wrong with getting advice from more experienced mappers, especially if the more experienced mappers aren't getting involved directly (i.e. just teaching some good techniques rather than going and actually making parts of the map).
Thanks given by:
Absolutely Shad.
I don't expect him to do "my maps" but simply to have an eye on it and to teach me what is to know :-)

I'm sure he already knows what he's going to do.
Thanks given by:
(26 Mar 13, 09:33PM)Nightmare Wrote: Most are clipped off so you can't tell without edit mode hax. ;)

Edit Mode isn't a hack, it's a feature.
Thanks given by:
Yah nuts the best way to learn how to map in AC is to just do it. Especially COOP with other mappers who are more experienced than you. Any problems you run into get solved so you don't get "stuck" and you learn a lot faster than trying by yourself. That's how I learned back in the day in the clan MD, I would COOP with Apollo^MD, Lukas^MD, Archangel^MD and would learn so much in just 1 day.

SO DON"T BE DISCOURAGED if your not the "best" or more experienced mapper, you never know how your map will come out unless you do it and start!
Also Nuts why'd you call shadowF Shad?
Thanks given by:
(28 Mar 13, 03:48AM)DogDancing Wrote: Also Nuts why'd you call shadowF Shad?
Lol people have done that for a while. You're like the only one who says shadowf. :P
Thanks given by:
I get it yah, I just think it be confusing with the actual Shad you know? Either way MAP PEOPLE MAP!
Thanks given by:
"Mapping" makes the activity sound so boring.
Go with something more fancy, like cartography or some shit like that.

Master Cartographer.

Ilike.
Thanks given by:
@Dogdancing, haha well I don't realy know why I call him so but you're right it's quite confusing, I'll try to call him ShadowF again hehe.

Also thanks for the tip mate, I'll do my best to map a maximum and be able to do something correctly.

@ShadowF, cartography sounds like something so hard to do that I'd be scared only by hearing it haha.
Thanks given by:
Just doing an update: almost finished my map for the competition! It will be sort of arabian styled. Coming soon!
Thanks given by:
History theme seems interesting, but I have a question...
Has the map to be related to a specific event/place? I mean, if I made a Western map, does it have to be related to a specific event, or being from '800 is enough "historic"?
Thanks given by:
If it is a specific place, then it will score higher in the theme category. If it is just set in the 1800s, then it will score lower, unless there are specific 1800 details.

Just speaking about how I'll go scoring that.
Thanks given by:
Anything is historic to me, but like Ronald said, the more intuitive, the betternyournscore
Thanks given by:
Can a map be posted on Akimbo for feedback?
Thanks given by:
I personally can't say on the matter, as I am not a judge this time, though from past experience with judging I will give my opinion. You can post a map and enter it in the contest and update it later. The latest version of the map will be the one that is judged. Hopefully no judges can give feedback and most mappers entering won't give feedback either to help their on case. You can post though, that is not the issue. You can always update it before the end of the contest.
Thanks given by:
(26 Apr 13, 09:06PM)MathiasB Wrote: Can a map be posted on Akimbo for feedback?
The Maps BETA Section is indeed a good place to upload your WIP for the record.
Post the download link here for feedbacks, you will also have some on AKIMBO but as the competition rules explained no judges will intervene whatsoever either here or anywhere.

PS: I will set up a special thread on AKIMBO for this event but only for final releases.
Thanks given by:
(26 Apr 13, 10:49PM)Cleaner Wrote:
(26 Apr 13, 09:06PM)MathiasB Wrote: Can a map be posted on Akimbo for feedback?
The Maps BETA Section is indeed a good place to upload your WIP for the record.
Post the download link here for feedbacks, you will also have some on AKIMBO but as the competition rules explained no judges will intervene whatsoever either here or anywhere.

PS: I will set up a special thread on AKIMBO for this event but only for final releases.

If there are enough entries, we could even create a subforums (in "Map")
Thanks given by:
The more you do on your map, higher score overall I'll give the map. So, technically yes, you can post it for feedback. But, to error on the safe side (as I can see use disqualifying a map for not doing this), make sure your map is in a complete form.

Again, Judges cannot really help give feedback.
Thanks given by:
Reply to Luc@s post

Indeed and even with old comps added to it.
Thanks given by:
Hope people have been trying hard with there maps, you've got less than 2 months now to complete it good luck everyone.
Thanks given by:
Though I'm not a judge, I just wanted to remind my fellow mappers that you only have a month left to enter. Don't let me walk up in here and win by default!
Thanks given by: