I want your maps!
Hey all,

I am currently making an online map archive, which will host many (I hope) maps for assaultcube. Not an akimbo-like site with forums and quality control, but more or less a site where you can find a map you liked but lost at one time.

Right now I only have my maps folder which is rather large (close to 1000 maps), but I want to make this archive as complete as possible and I don't have a lot of the recent maps.

So if you have a big maps folder, it would be awesome if you could send it to me.

Note that if you have your own maps that are IP that you don't want to share, you might not want to send those to me. As I won't filter them out myself.
Thanks given by:
Cool idea RR!
By the way, map archive allow 1.0 maps too or only 1.1 maps?
Thanks given by:
Anything you have, I will have a way to filter based on the map revision.
Thanks given by:
Ok, i could provide some old maps.
Im waiting your site, if you want any help...
Thanks given by:
Won't need help with the site. I probably won't have any sort of upload feature in the near future, so if you could find a temporary upload site it would be awesome. I will probably download it within 24 hours.
Thanks given by:
Just a question, do they need to be quality maps or any kind of stuff is welcome?

I have tons of those sniper@camper, twin towers and such in my maps folder...
Thanks given by:
Any sort of stuff.
Thanks given by:
Ac_sapiens best diamond in the ruff map.
Thanks given by:
Finally, we will have fun with old "great" maps!
*memories*

(29 Jul 13, 03:12AM)Ronald_Reagan Wrote: if you could find a temporary upload site it would be awesome.
Owkay, try it: http://www.qfpost.com/
- 100% Free and no account;
- Limit size of 20MB;
- Up to 90 days after the last time someone downloaded it.

Or use mine dedicated to you: http://upload.1freebb.com/index.php
- 100% Free and no account;
- Limit size of 300MB;
- No ads
- Up to 30 days after the last time someone downloaded it.

[New release soon]
Thanks given by:
(29 Jul 13, 03:23AM)Ronald_Reagan Wrote: Any sort of stuff.

http://www.kiwi.ac/weta/
Thanks given by:
i got 50mb of files, not sorting .baks
will upload when done sorting, and ill see if i can find my 1.0/0.93 folder later(think its on other computer)
Thanks given by:
Will provide a mirror or proper webspace RR.
My maps are all new :P
Thanks given by:
+1 RK, but I probably have all of those. Downloaded just to make sure.

Krayce, awesome, wasn't expecting that but probably will serve useful to people without easy access to a webhost and don't want to deal with mediafire (I certainly dont like mediafire).

Awesome Undead :D If you want to remove .BAKs yourself feel free, otherwise I don't really care about them. They won't get included anyhow, my packaging script will jump over anything not .cgz or .cfg (provided it has a proper correlating .cgz file).

Yeah, my folder of compressed maps (using .zip for map and cfg, probably not saving tons of space) came out to about 19 mb. I even forgot to add my 1.0.4 maps.

Draul, I'll keep you in mind if I need more webspace, I'm not sure if I'll need it. I'll keep you in mind though :)
Thanks given by:
Oh, another thing I'll take is a preview image.

If you have an image you want to be seen as a preview image, feel free to give me them too. Any common format I suppose, just named <mapname>.<extension>, so like ac_desert.png.

Not asking for this, but just if people want to submit these previews, it might be nicer than my auto-generated preview.
Thanks given by:
what about map models and stuff?

---

Maps I have from 0.9.3: here.
Thanks given by:
(29 Jul 13, 09:58AM)Ronald_Reagan Wrote: If you have an image you want to be seen as a preview image, feel free to give me them too.
Owkey, but what resolution for preview image?

(29 Jul 13, 09:25AM)Ronald_Reagan Wrote: Kryace, awesome, [...]
It's Krayce bro! <3
Thanks given by:
(29 Jul 13, 01:35PM)SKB Wrote: what about map models and stuff?

I don't care about media as much. Media is always floating around, esp. on akimbo. Also, a little out of the scope for this project.

(29 Jul 13, 01:35PM)SKB Wrote: Maps I have from 0.9.3: here.

Awesome, I got them. Thanks!

(29 Jul 13, 02:18PM)Krayce Wrote: Owkey, but what resolution for preview image?
Doesn't matter, if it is too large I'll scale it down myself. I think I am going to be working with 600x600 squares for the autogenerated images if you really do want to know.

(29 Jul 13, 02:18PM)Krayce Wrote: It's Krayce bro! <3
Sorry, fixed.
Thanks given by:
if someone own old " aw_" maps... :D
Thanks given by:
Thus far, you guys have helped me add 4770 maps to my archive. As well as 30.5 MB. Keep them coming :D

Exo:
aw maps that came up were:
aw_Gare.cgz.zip
aw_gema_Tarzan-revised.cgz.zip
aw_gema_Tarzan.cgz.zip
aw_Gema-Tarzan.cgz.zip
aw_Inside-Out.cgz.zip
aw_stalingrad.cgz.zip
Thanks given by:
I just got up and still on coffee so I might have missed something...

I really don't get it about ignoring custom media, a map with missing content is totally unplayable.

It's clear that you can find almost everything on AKIMBO (certainly will when we've finished uploading archives... 448 maps, 448 textures, 252 mapmodels, 77 skymaps, 66 sounds so far) but then correct me if I'm wrong, every one is going to have to download all missing files separately and manually.

On the other end I really fancy that project of yours because staff at AKIMBO (or anyone really) will be able to go dig there some maps, convert it to v1.2 and upload them.
Note that in that case the problem of missing custom content will be automatically solved (or maybe not for a few exceptional cases)
Thanks given by:
turns out i only have 10mb of zipped files, then again i did not transfer my 1.0/0.93 folders to this computer. i'll go dig that up when i can.
Thanks given by:
Awesome, its kinda surprising how many maps are out there. That would be awesome, as many old maps as possible would be great.
Thanks given by:
I keep on forgetting about peoples posts. I am sorry.

Cleaner, the reason for not including media is the fact that it is out of the scope of this project. I just repeated myself, so I'll explain a little more.

This map archive is only one part of my project, one aspect. Adding media is not part of the project as a whole. The project isn't designed to be a map hub, we already have that. That is akimbo.

Another part of this project is that everything in this map archive (or repository, I'll call it either probably) will be reachable by AC 1.2's autodl feature. Working alongside akimbo will probably make it aquire all the media it will need. Now I realize that I don't know how the autodl searches for missing packages, if it searches all added servers, or just the one with the best ping so I realize this might be a little troublesome.

If I wanted to mirror akimbo, I'd ask Lucas if he needed help. However, he already has a USA mirror, so he should be good.

About if people have maps and need to download the media separately: If they aren't using the autodl feature, they will need to. However if they are then akimbo servers should be queried automatically upon loading the map. Again, I'm not sure what happens when multiple package repositories exist and the required packages cannot be found on one.
Thanks given by:
(30 Jul 13, 05:23AM)Ronald_Reagan Wrote: Exo:
aw maps that came up were:
aw_Gare.cgz.zip
aw_gema_Tarzan-revised.cgz.zip
aw_gema_Tarzan.cgz.zip
aw_Gema-Tarzan.cgz.zip
aw_Inside-Out.cgz.zip
aw_stalingrad.cgz.zip

Wow that's already nice! aw_gare is by DaylixX, the GEMA is by Spako (and I think Cleaner should look at it, it's a very well realised map :P), btw I don't remember "stalingrad" it's strange.

I would say my most wanted maps are still not found: toxic-water / winter-assault / air-force / little-village / warfare
Thanks given by:
I have warfare (actually 'rondvert' in mapmsg), I don't have the cfg tho, some textures are messed up
Thanks given by:
you have "ac_warfare", not " aw_warfare" :D
And yes the mapmsg is "ronfvert" vecause I started by a green circle heighfields.
Thanks given by:
Whats the point of having an archive of old/new maps?

If people can't play the older/bigger maps on the public servers, then why wast anyone's time doing this?
Thanks given by:
Because not all old maps are unplayable? Because the point of having a map isn't always to play it? Because sometimes nostalgia parties are fun?

I'm not forcing anyone to do anything. If they want to "waste" their time, then they are free to do it. I'm the only one putting significant amount of time into this project, and I certainly don't think it is a waste.
Thanks given by:
Nostalgia parties are amazing.
Thanks given by:
(31 Jul 13, 06:22AM)Iguana Wrote: Whats the point of having an archive of old/new maps?

If people can't play the older/bigger maps on the public servers, then why wast anyone's time doing this?

what's the point of making maps that lag too much to be played on some computers, on a game claiming to be running perfectly on old machines ?
Thanks given by: