7th Official Mapping Contest
I thought about 1/2 judge votes 1/2 community votes. However that would have took a lot of planning and been too complicated. Though that would have been the way to go, truthfully.
Thanks given by:
Personally i have never entered a map into this contest. I just feel like people wouldn't grade mine as good as they would grade others. I mean all the judges seem like honest and nice guys just think that they would grade some of their friends over someone else. So for example, if two people were sending in the exact same map quality and stuff. One of them was your friend, the other was not your friend. Your telling me that you would not pick your friend?
Thanks given by:
Maybe you got me wrong. I was referring to adding either 1 or 2 more players to the judges, not about making it half judge half community.
Thanks given by:
The issue with that is adding judges that aren't in a clan with one of the judges already. It was hard enough getting the 4 that were selected this year. I wanted to add about 5 or 6, really I did. It was tough arranging it this time. @ bballn45, you stand as good of a chance as anyone else, taking into account as long as its a quality map. I judge my friends tougher then I do anyone else. If its a quality map, its a quality map. I really couldn't care who it was by as long as its good. The community needs more good maps. In the past its been talked about submitting maps anonymously. By that I mean, having someone selected to receive the maps and send them to the judges in a package. Of course that means you would have to leave the map message off and not have the person receiving the maps tell the judges in any way who is who or be a voting judge either. That might be considered.
Thanks given by:
(20 Jun 12, 09:27PM)Pi_Halo Wrote: you stand as good of a chance as anyone else, taking into account as long as its a quality map

"We will judge on:
Theme
Textures
Lighting
Detail
Sounds
Layout/Gameplay
Average (overall of the above)"

Any map is a quality map, But i don't think that you or judges will see that. I don't think imma join this contest.
Thanks given by:
Now that is an oxymoron. @campers, gemas, stuff like that is not a quality map. There is a reason why there are 6 different areas to be judged on. Having a well-rounded map means a quality map. If you lack in an area, such as say lights or textures, its not quality. However, its up to you if you will enter or not. You can't win if you don't enter. Though I must ask you to reconsider thinking any map is a quality released map.
Thanks given by:
Hey! People work hard on gemas...
* Oracle crosses that off his idea list...
Thanks given by:
(20 Jun 12, 10:09PM)Pi_Halo Wrote: Though I must ask you to reconsider thinking any map is a quality released map.

Well it may not be a quality map in your eyes, but it is to the person who built it(or someone else). We're all different you know.
Thanks given by:
(20 Jun 12, 09:27PM)Pi_Halo Wrote: If its a quality map, its a quality map. I really couldn't care who it was by as long as its good. The community needs more good maps

This ^^

(20 Jun 12, 10:09PM)Pi_Halo Wrote: There is a reason why there are 6 different areas to be judged on. Having a well-rounded map means a quality map. If you lack in an area, such as say lights or textures, its not quality.

Another benefit to having six areas is that it would make it harder to be an unfair judge :P
Thanks given by:
No sexiness category?

I'm always for new, quality maps. What I feel has been lacking are maps that do something unique with their layout. I'd love to see some entries that take some extra focus there.
Thanks given by:
Make the votes at least 50/50. Let the community have something to do with it or else it won't be fun for the community at all.
Thanks given by:
(21 Jun 12, 07:09AM)bballn45 Wrote: Make the votes at least 50/50. Let the community have something to do with it or else it won't be fun for the community at all.
The problem with that is that votes will end up biased and some people will vote for someone not for their map but because they are friends with him, they like him, he has a good reputation regarding mapping, etc.
Thanks given by:
You can never completely remove your own bias. However, as halo stated, quality is quality. If there is community involvement, there will most certainly be bias. A weighed scale could be set up, but I'm not a maths guy. Something I plan to do if it's allowed, is play inters on all the maps posted, and also potentially do video overviews without specifically stating how I feel about the map before judgement. Maybe even have other people comment instead of me so that community members could have their say. If the time comes and people would be interested in that, pm me and we'll set it up.
Thanks given by:
(20 Jun 12, 09:27PM)Pi_Halo Wrote: I judge my friends tougher then I do anyone else.

So true. It's so hard for me to impress Halo. :(
Thanks given by:
I plan on doing extensive reviews of the maps if I have time :>

To be released when my scores are ofc
Thanks given by:
Slow down the rigged judges talk. :p

Waffles are a delicious breakfast, you won't find a more honest/fair food to eat.
Reagan is a president who was quite fair, popular for a reason.
Noobicus just likes fun, so I'd expect him to give good grades to fun layouts and such.

And not many of their clan members, if any, are entering a map. :)

And now you've planted a 'Halo is cheatarrr' seed in his head, and he may feel he has to keel any of his clanmate's scores to show the fairness. Hopefully not, but that is what discussions like these can lead to.

Seems like a nice even mix of judges who are pretty unbiased.

<3 community votes, just saying.
Thanks given by:
i can garuntee someone in B}, Pi_, BoB or FD* will win
Thanks given by:
It doesn't even matter who wins, the contest is about getting more quality maps out there. Less bitching more mapping plz. :)
Thanks given by:
For once, I agree with Bukz on this one. The contest isn't about who wins or loses. To me it's about getting some quality maps released, promoting mapping, and getting the maps alittle more spotlight by entering the contest then they normally would.
Thanks given by:
My guess is that Pi will win. And that isn't any of the whole "biased" judges talk. That or some unclanned fella.
Thanks given by:
(21 Jun 12, 07:39PM)bballn45 Wrote: i can garuntee someone in B}, Pi_, BoB or FD* will win

I can "garuntee" someone in AC will win.

OH JEEZ I'M SUCH A PSYCHIC
Thanks given by:
I am pushing my guys to perform well. I denied hurpdurpson (zero) working with snoo just so more people would be entering. However, I would seriously like to see a new star win (someone like shad-99, spookyfish, Stupp, just to name a few of the under-rated mappers that stand a chance).

@Titi, don't be so sure, there are some sauer mappers around these days and I am still yet to this day see SnD (who won the 4th Mapping Contest).
Thanks given by:
(21 Jun 12, 11:51PM)titiPT Wrote:
(21 Jun 12, 07:39PM)bballn45 Wrote: i can garuntee someone in B}, Pi_, BoB or FD* will win

I can "garuntee" someone in AC will win.

OH JEEZ I'M SUCH A PSYCHIC
Inb4 a sauer mapper wins ;D.
Thanks given by:
Aah.. My map is coming along nicely. Lay out and a few areas done, though my detail isn't maxed yet. :P Any one else making any progress? <3
Thanks given by:
Totally forgot about this.
Better quit while I'm behind.
Thanks given by:
No you had better not quit! >:C Where's my challenge?! Who's gonna bloody beat me?! Some one prove me wrong ;)
Thanks given by:
(18 Jun 12, 07:41PM)Pi_Halo Wrote: We will judge on:
Who we like most.
Which clan you are in.
Who's posterior we wish to ingest.
Oh yes, and who we like most

Have fun and best of luck!

orly?

Hmm why you no want to enter the competition?

Jokes aside, mapping is dying in AC because everyone just plays douze.

Mod edit: And this is what Halo did say:
(18 Jun 12, 07:41PM)Pi_Halo Wrote: We will judge on:
Theme
Textures
Lighting
Detail
Sounds
Layout/Gameplay
Average (overall of the above)
All scores will be between 1 and 10, 10 being the best, 1 the worse.
Thanks given by:
Leave it to Bloodsport to take my quote and use it out of context and edit it to say something it doesn't. But seriously Bloodsport, some people around here are gullible and might believe that, better watch what you say.
Thanks given by:
I love map contests!!!!
This is what keeps Assaultcube fresh.

(comedy)
The judges (Halo*)
will send their scores to the chairman (Halo*)
so there is no influence on the scores based off someone elses,

Halo*

(/comedy)

*Timmmmmmmahhhhhhh!
Thanks given by:
Halo will rate me more harshly than most. Pipe down, k.
Thanks given by: