7th Official Mapping Contest
Z3R0, your config file has an error.
You forgot to put your custom directory prefix (ac_ripsaw/) before "desertcliffface.jpg" on line 235 in the config file.

texture 0 "desertcliffface.jpg"            // Texture #1

Perhaps this works for you, but it doesn't for me, as I don't have that texture in textures/.
I'm guessing you initially had those textures in that directory, packaged up your resources and forgot to change that line in the config file (but you changed the others).

That being said, I honestly liked the "missing content" texture more than this one after I changed the config. This is because "desertcliffface" looks really bright (default gamma). Perhaps you should darken it a bit.
Thanks given by:
Ah, never noticed. Added the missing dir prefix in cfg, same link. Thanks Felix.

I did try editing the colour/light balances on desertcliffface.jpg, but it looked bad darker.
Thanks given by:
Try switching

texture 0 "ac_ripsaw/desertcliffface.jpg"            // Texture #1

to

texture 0 "noctua/stone/stone02.jpg"

and see how you like it.
Thanks given by:
Only alittle over a month left in the contest and only one person (zero) has entered. We need to see some entries, hop to it people!
Thanks given by:
i need to finish my map Halo :) I will be entering when I'm done with my map :)
Thanks given by:
Update: ac_ancient_mines will have these mapmodels:

http://www.akimbo.in/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1080
http://www.akimbo.in/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1085
http://www.akimbo.in/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=912
http://www.akimbo.in/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=125

The map should be released in 1-2 weeks.
Thanks given by:
Nightmare wins by default.
Thanks given by:
Seriously though, I will whip something up quickly to encourage more entries, and support this mapping contest.
Legit mapshot. It might look like a mentally challenged space invader now, but at least it won't be super generic. :3
[Image: 4c11bc7577cc4eb79ab6718.png]
Thanks given by:
Still got like 20 days, cheeesh. LOL that looks like an alien with a mustache giving me the finger. no spaceinvader
Thanks given by:
We need a DogDancing or Stupp entry to turn the tide!
Thanks given by:
are gemas allowed
Thanks given by:
What defines a newcomer?
Thanks given by:
(15 Aug 12, 01:03PM)#M|A#Wolf Wrote: Are gemas allowed?
Thanks given by:
(15 Aug 12, 01:10PM)XFA Wrote: What defines a newcomer?
In the past it's been players who've only published 2 or less maps.
Thanks given by:
2 maps or less is what defines a newcomer, as Nightmare said. Why on earth would a gema be allowed in a mapping contest?
Thanks given by:
Because they can fit the requisites, are beautiful to play, provide a great in game experience, are part of this game [connect to MS and see, there is (almost) always a gema being played], require mapping, people like them and they frigging rock.
Umad? XD
Thanks given by:
(15 Aug 12, 01:28AM)Nightmare Wrote: mapshot
You should know that this is now my desktop background.

(15 Aug 12, 01:54PM)paulmuaddibKA Wrote: Because they can fit the requisites, are beautiful to play, provide a great in game experience, are part of this game [connect to MS and see, there is (almost) always a gema being played], require mapping, people like them and they frigging rock.
Umad? XD
This.
It's still a map. Although it would obviously receive no points on layout/gameplay as it's apples and oranges with gemas and traditional maps, all other criteria can be judged.
Thanks given by:
You forgot the part where they are a complete mockery of the mapping restrictions and in no way shape or form will fit (or should I say do well in) any of the judging categories.
Thanks given by:
Why can't a gema have quality sound? Or be visually beautiful?
You can't predetermine that a map gets a bad score on criteria unrelated to pure gameplay simply because it doesn't fit your prescribed idea of a map.
Thanks given by:
How would a gema have good "quality" use of textures or "quality" use of sounds? The only judging criteria that a gema could do alright on (and I say this as my opinion and not to represent the other judges at all here) is lighting. The point for a mapping contest, from my point of view, is to create new playable/enjoyable maps. Not release a bunch of new gema's that are clear disregards to the mapping restrictions.
Thanks given by:
Ive seen so beautiful gemas, its a shame im at work and I cant upload some pictures.
There are gemas which fit map restrictions, and have a very clever use of textures, search for mermaid gema, look at the very first room, and amaze yourself...
That begin said, this is not about gemas, I get it, I dont want to turn this thread into a gema war one, but bear in mind that a gema IS playable, in fact, it provides many challenges, because once you finish the course, its common to try to lower the time spent in completing it, for example, or to find new ways of doing so.
Layout is also a strong point, theme would also be very nice, like escape from a mine (chile tragedy anyone?), and details too (see any phoenix or gibbed gema to see if they detail their maps). But, as you say, its your opinion, and Im in not way trying to impose anything, as I dont even map, but would love to see a gema entry, for the kicks of it and to encourage mappers to try to build a gema (if you are interested I can help ya with gameplay!).
Also, as there is little response (for now) what would hurt to try to get a gema mapper in the mix?
Well, I will support Nightmares map anyhow, so , lulz! XD
Thanks given by:
Of course a gema can have good quality use of sound or textures.
Not every gema is an abstract piece of crap. Granted, many are, but you can't simply generalise that across an entire population of gemas (especially not if this population contains gemas specifically designed to be pretty) and assume that you'll be right. I've seen gemas that are more visually appealing than certain other maps which have more 'traditional' layouts and intentions.
Of course I sincerely doubt that a gema will win the mapping contest.
The "layout/gameplay" criterion is intended to judge traditional maps - a perfectly sensible idea, if only because the contest is meant to find fresh, new "official"-type maps. However, you shouldn't, mustn't and simply can't assume that just because a map perverts your idea of what is 'right' in the field of gameplay, it will inevitably fail in all other fields.

Aaaand finally, simply because my douchebag mind won't let it go without it being said: playability/enjoyability is completely subjective. If I were you, I wouldn't pay too much attention to this last point; I can understand what you mean, I just needed to put it out there. Otherwise I might be awake for days and develop an odd habit of rocking back and forth in front of my laptop, trying to keep it down my throat.

I have a SAC tomorrow and as such I suppose I should sleep at some point.
I'd love to continue this discussion tomorrow.
Thanks given by:
Truth be told, any map can be entered, even one that isn't within the theme guidelines, but bare in mind that your scores will suffer cause of it. Only maps that do not fit the rules can't be entered (i.e judges making a map, map released before, etc).
Thanks given by:
(15 Aug 12, 01:54PM)paulmuaddibKA Wrote: Because they can fit the requisites, are beautiful to play, provide a great in game experience, are part of this game [connect to MS and see, there is (almost) always a gema being played], require mapping, people like them and they frigging rock.
Umad? XD

I will give a gema map as low scores as possible.
Umad?

The point stands that we don't need more good Gema maps, we need more good real maps.
Thanks given by:
(15 Aug 12, 11:41PM)Ronald_Reagan Wrote: The point stands that we don't need more good Gema maps, we need more good real maps.
Ahh I see... Then I hope all contestants deliver!
Good luck!
Thanks given by:
im posting a real map: ac_ancient_mines
Thanks given by:
(16 Aug 12, 07:51PM)Jg99 Wrote: im posting a real map: ac_ancient_mines
Thank you for telling us, we all assumed it was a gema.
Thanks given by:
too many underscores in the title.

just to be clear, that's sarcasm
Thanks given by:
Thankyou for varying Waffles.
Thanks given by:
WafflesThankYouForYourInput
Thanks given by: