6th Official Mapping Contest
What "constructive criticism" is?
After all, that make you learn faster! :p
Thanks given by:
geez. Way to jump on Nightmare for solid feedback.

"again, you could make the same statement about certain official maps"

Yes? He is pointing it out with your map. He isn't saying that official maps are any better. Why shoot for official map standards when you can shoot for higher?
Thanks given by:
Quote:1) Has spawnkill encouraging designs throughout. Not cool on such a small map.
2) CLA is God.
and add to that his little jab at the meme and i think you got more then just some grown basic criticism.

I never said the map was for large public games of 12-16 players, and in that case, I'm quite sure that there would be spawn camping and that it could be somewhat biased towards one team. With that being said, any argument could be made with similar points about any map, official or not. The only true, 100% way of not having a map be biased, even the slightest, would be to make it 100% symmetrical throughout, but that isn't what Assault Cube was founded upon. I have since spoken with Nightmare, and I might should have edited the post, but we spoke about it and I even managed to show him some helpful things, such as evading spawn camping, and playing as RVSF (both in a match environment, not a public game, of course). The only thing that struck me as a "cheap shot" at me was his multiply (upwards of 2+) post about ac_lainio but none about any other map. I could go on as to why it could possibly be a "cheap shot" towards myself and/or ac_lainio, but that is a completely different subject none related to the Assault Cube forums.

Also just as an extra 2 cents worth, the similar maps and storyboards (similar to ac_lainio) was making me alittle uncomfortable with the ability to stand out from the crowd like I had originally attended to do. (plus the storyboard was a complete pun in the first place)
Thanks given by:
lainio got more love because it's the only map thats popped up on BoB Ladder pubs so far. :)
and haven't had time to throw together intras/inters for other entries outside of B}'s own productions. ;)
Thanks given by:
so . er. whens ac_icicle gunna pop up on BoB ? <3 hehe
Thanks given by:
(01 Dec 11, 07:34AM)Nightmare Wrote: lainio got more love because it's the only map thats popped up on BoB Ladder pubs so far. :)
and haven't had time to throw together intras/inters for other entries outside of B}'s own productions. ;)

That's why i think a vote by Judges should be better.

Thanks given by:
Its a popularity contest (i think) so pretty much the voters vote a familiar name like *halo* lols
Thanks given by:
(04 Dec 11, 11:32PM)Titan Wrote: Its a popularity contest (i think)

Finally figured it out eh?
Actually all mapping contests are the same way..
Thanks given by:
We are adding two more maps from the contest to our rotation. We feel that some of the maps would be ineffective as pub games due to a few things. Some have very few or very unbalanced pickups. Some have custom content that would require all players to dl to appreciate the map in it's full glory. Some maps just have poor design for ac_ style gameplay.

This is not meant as an affront to anybody, this is merely our personal opinions and choices as server administrators that everyone is entitled to.

If you wish your map to be on the ladder i suggest you make sure the map is playable in most public settings and also ask us to play inters on it with you so we would be more inclined to like it.

[troll]Any problems with our decisions can be sent to makebettermaps[at]gmail.com or wafflesDGAF[at]hotcops.net[/troll]

EDIT: I believe the next episode of AC radio will feature a full map review of every map thus far contributed, so hopefully that will bring some publicity to the maps if this thread already hasn't.
Thanks given by:
^ is ac_icicle on there :) just wondering >:)
Thanks given by:
AC Radio ftw!
Thanks given by:
(05 Dec 11, 09:57AM)Titan Wrote: ^ is ac_icicle on there :) just wondering >:)
sorry it's not, but it can be, contact me pls so we can discuss it :)

P.S, As waffles said we are going to promote maps on ac radio as well as on ladder, to help u guys get media coverage ;)
Thanks given by:
EDIT:
AC_Index By MykeGregory
http://forum.cubers.net/thread-4377.html
http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/8059/...dextdm.jpg

Cant be downloaded anymore. wrong theme. sorry everyone.
Thanks given by:
ummm, MykeGregory, the theme is snow, and no offense, but your map has 0 snow
Thanks given by:
No snow?!
That is offensive!!
Thanks given by:
i was more or less speaking about the lack there of snow (or a map for that matter)
Thanks given by:
(05 Dec 11, 10:15PM)Pi_Halo Wrote: ummm, MykeGregory, the theme is snow, and no offense, but your map has 0 snow

Non taken. sorry.
I stupidly read the first post AFTER me submitting the map. my fault entirely.
Thanks given by:
If I don't get to finish it, here's my entry.
As I said, I will probably update in the future.
Thanks given by:
So, as of 2PM +11 GMT, I have started my map.
Good layout: nope
Good detail: nope
Good custom content: nope
Dead rat mapmodel: possibly
Unusual attempt at pushing the boundaries of what is considered to be an acceptable candidate for the theme: most definitely
Thanks given by:
(07 Dec 11, 01:41PM)Frogulis Wrote: So, as of 2PM +11 GMT, I have started my map.
Good layout: nope
Good detail: nope
Good custom content: nope
Dead rat mapmodel: possibly
Unusual attempt at pushing the boundaries of what is considered to be an acceptable candidate for the theme: most definitely

Stop copying my map, bro. :(
Thanks given by:
I hath officially got a halo review :) and from that im not likely to win the competition or even get close :L
Thanks given by:
(07 Dec 11, 02:31PM)Nightmare Wrote: Stop copying my map, bro. :(
History tells us that your map will be something like a lump of snow surrounded by snow on a base of snow with a background of snow with a snowy skymap and snow mapmodels.
Called nm_snow or something like that ;)
* Frogulis is tempted to change his map completely now.
Thanks given by:
* V-Man imagines a ghost looking for his sheet in a snowstorm
Thanks given by:
December 10th already D:
* Nightmare uses V-Man's map generator for a quick snow map.

jk, but to update on ac_unfrozen, finally stopped being lazy and worked on it this morning&afternoon. All thats left is more details basically.
andddd lights/flags/spawns/pick-ups but those are being revised through a series of top secret B}eta testing.
On pace to be done in time. :)
Thanks given by:
:3
rr_ferric is slow
Thanks given by:
^hurry up and finish it already :L
Thanks given by:
(07 Dec 11, 12:25PM)Orynge Wrote: If I don't get to finish it, here's my entry.
As I said, I will probably update in the future.

Oh, yes, I'm entering as a newcomer. I've never released a map before. :)
Thanks given by:
^WUT .______.
Thanks given by:
(11 Dec 11, 12:04PM)Titan Wrote: ^WUT .______.

wut?
Thanks given by:
oh nothing :D
Thanks given by: