[split] Map discussion
I have played, or if not seen most of those maps in that list. However...there are a few which I surprisingly don't have... Since I have quite a number of custom maps.

Does anyone have a download link? I have tried Akimbo but I only found ac_origin.

Oh and I would love to see ac_terros to be included in the 1.1.0.5 release, it is a very well-made map, and brings me nostalgia from playing in HI-SKILL servers.
Thanks given by:
Try this.
Thanks given by:
An alternate way is to get the maps off of the following servers:
www.ac-news.tk Server
Q-be Root Server (Yellow Coloured)
DES| Server

And type:
/dm (mapnamehere)
Thanks given by:
I'm a bit confused about which maps are already "official" and which ones are not. Every time you get into a server, whatever map is currently played is downloaded, so it doesn't make much of a difference. More important is which maps server admins are including in their maprot, I would say.

Anyway, if ac_industrialisies (by jiba, sanzo & brett) isn't yet an official map, here is one which deserves to be included. It's beautifully done, colourful, with nice details and lighting. The only thing is, maybe the two bases are not quite balanced (I find it harder to get away with the blue flag in CTF).
Thanks given by:
As I said Venganza looks like a fair map with many ways to go. It looks like a map you can play in the public and play in a clan match. Also I would like to see the map "ac_wasteland" in. I used to play that map so much and I would love to see it back in the next release of AssaultCube!
Thanks given by:
you won't see ac_wasteland, as the creator i have put it out in the cold until i can get the motive to upgrade it, i had planned on an update to wasteland, but i don't like it much anyways :P

one of the best maps IMO that should be official is ac_ruinas1.1

also on the list of official quality maps i would include, but not limited to: ac_oasis (by ruthless), ac_avenue2 (by jiba), ac_edifice (by bukz & optus), ac_dusk (by shadow), ac_fabrik (by mr.floppy), and ac_metl3 (from sauerbraten, made for AC by halo)
Thanks given by:
(26 Jan 11, 11:03PM)tempest Wrote: Are you trying to start a flamewar or just unaware of the past?
(Of course, the above only applies if by "dust" you mean the various bad copies of a bad CS map with the same name)

I don't intend to start a flamewar. It's just a map which i really enjoy playing in, and i now for sure that i'm not the only one.
Thanks given by:
(26 Jan 11, 02:59PM)SnowOak Wrote: - ac_wasteland by DES|Halo and DES|R4zor <-- TOSOK

i pointed that out.
anyway, could the winner of the map competition have their map made into an official one. that would be cool.
Thanks given by:
MykeGregory, lets look at the mapping contest in a logical way, what if the winner is a map that is made poorly, to automatically give official map to the winner isn't the right thing

but on the plus side, there has been an official map out of each mapping contest (sunset, iceroad, stellar, noone entered the 2nd contest, so obvious no winner or official map)

so the mapping contest does draw attention from the devs atleast
Thanks given by:
True!
i meant that if it was of a good standard. should have said that in the first place.
Thanks given by:
Hmm good idea

Edit: I don't think they'd win if the map was of poor standard.
Thanks given by:
F1 to all except ac_dusk, I think it's a bit simple & a bit hard to manuver
Thanks given by:
i tell you what AC needs...an underwater map! call it AC_atlantis
Thanks given by:
ac_atlantis is already a map
Thanks given by:
one map that always seems as fun as ac_derb is

ac_krullskeep

go vote it in (it's on some servers) and give opinion if you haven't already played on ac_krullskeep
type

/tosok ac_krullskeep

to vote it in
Thanks given by:
wasteland back please.
Thanks given by:
Swamp
Thanks given by:
(27 Jan 11, 11:30AM)Lumpaz Wrote: Anyway, if ac_industrialisies (by jiba, sanzo & brett) isn't yet an official map, here is one which deserves to be included.
F1.

also ac_yard :)
Thanks given by:
It's been said already, but why not ac_swamp?

The map is literally one of the most fantastic maps I've ever seen.
Thanks given by:
In MY point of view (i won't have enemys) :

First , official maps = match map.
It mean that : public/pub maps should be official.
For me : ...
-ac_arabian
-ac_rattrap
... are public maps.

All maps i writed are very good maps with good designs etc...but ac_arabian is huge and not really playable in match (maybe better in HTF or T-KTF) , i'm sure that i hadn't fun to play match on it (sorry Jiba).

For ac_rattrap , very good design , custom mapmodels , custom textures and very good way to use custom mapmodels and officials mapmodels.
But there are too mutch mapmodels on the way , always roadblock , box , crates , barels , pallette , bench , brick , weels , lockers , milk crates , dumpsters ... when i play on this map i'm like "oppressed".

Secondly , map who should (must) be in 1.1.0.5.
For me : ...
-ac_industrial
-ac_swamp
-ac_zanka
-ac_terros
...are good match map.

For ac_industrial , this map have one of the best design ever , the public gameplay is awesome and i tested it in match/inter 3-4 times and it rocks.

For ac_swamp , this map isn't good in public , i made this with Undead and we did this map only for match (2V2-3V3) and for a lot of mods (CTF HTF T-KTF TDM and T-OSOK) we tested it 5-6 times and it's good in match. I don't say it cause it's my map , i'm not here to make pubs for myself.

For ac_zanka , after me the best use of Nieb textures and custo mapmodels , good gameplay in match and in public only for 10 players max.

For ac_terros , look at the minimap , it's just awesomely fair , symetric and good gameplay , you can play all weapons , there are little ways for shotguns and far distances for the sniper and a good design.

ac_wasteland was fine in match , good and simple gameplay in 1V1 TDM Survivor as in match (2V2 3V3) TSurv.
One of the most played map for the 1V1 ESL.

I think that AC should have 2 maprots , one for match and the other only for public servers.

I repeat that it was MY point of view and that i'm not better than everybody.

Thanks given by:
(30 Jan 11, 11:40AM).ExodusS* Wrote: I think that AC should have 2 maprots , one for match and the other only for public servers.
Two maprots? Or do you mean two lists of maps?

Better yet, it wouldn't hurt to sort maps into categories. It'll just take a bit of cubescripting to make those menus.

It's a bit annoying to scroll through hundreds of maps. It'd be nice to have "categories" (which is probably what you meant by maprot), like match, public, etc etc.

I think Red Eclipse did it nicely. They had the maps sorted into different categories so you can find what you're looking for easily.

The current single, long list of maps quickly becomes messy. 'Twould also be nice to be able to sort by preferred game mode, or if there are flags in the map, and other miscellaneous things.

I understand that you can just type in /map <etc>, but sometimes you forget the name of the map, or you're just looking through all your maps trying to find some random one that you like.
Thanks given by:
A maprotation for public servers , and a list of map in the "AssaultCube/config/menu.cfg" only votable in match.
2 different official map catégory.
Thanks given by:
+100 maps = win
Thanks given by:
I believe we should get together and sort/vote maps on whether they should be official or not. They should probably be map pack quality, and better. A bit like cream of the crop.

But when I think about it, it's not really that necessary. Good maps are inevitably played and people will have it in their folder. The biggest question is, "What makes an official map so official?"

When I think about it, there are A LOT of high quality maps out there that aren't official yet. Why? Why isn't a map like ac_swamp official? Why is ac_iceroad (which is acknowledged by Undead himself as being far inferior to ac_swamp) official?

I think what we should do right now is tally up all the suggestions for maps in this thread (ofc repeats by the same user don't count), a bit like how tallies were made every 15 or so pages for all those "Ideas" threads we had.

Actually, since it's not very hard to do and only takes a few minutes a day, I'll start doing it so that SnowOak doesn't need to suffer so much updating his post. I guess you can feel free to throw out a name of a map or two during discussions.

Thanks given by:
whats with the map dust_2 ?
Thanks given by:
It's a copy from a CounterStrike map.
But actually now that I think of it, why is that map hated by the devs but not ac_douze since it comes from Cube?
Thanks given by:
http://pastebin.com/Lq4pdjrM
ac_swamp: 6
ac_venganza: 5
ac_terros: 4
ac_dusk: 4
ac_wasteland: 4
ac_edifice: 3
ac_derb: 3
ac_zanka: 3
ac_yard: 3
ac_origin: 2
ac_casa: 2
ac_casa2: 2
ac_oasis: 2
ac_avenue: 2
ac_cairn: 1
ac_roofs: 1
bs_dust: 1
ac_ore: 1
apollo_desertcity: 1
ac_hq: 1
ac_victorian: 1
ac_rubble: 1
ac_debris: 1
apollo_arabicnight: 1
ac_sylang: 1
ac_egypt: 1
ac_industrailises: 1
ac_fabrik: 1
ac_metl3: 1
ac_krullskeep: 1
ac_industrial: 1

Okay, I've compiled most of the suggestions. I didn't count things like,
Quote:ac_egypt is what convinced me that mapping can be an elegant art form.
it had to be explicit that the person wanted the map to be in the next version.

It would be a lot easier for me (or anyone who would like to help), to give a +1 or something similar (as V-Man suggested).

I don't think the popular opinion of what should be in the next version should reflect what is a map that MUST be in, but I suppose, they should be treated as candidates with high potential due to their appeal.
Thanks given by:
Figured it's worth mentioning, edifice is already in the SVN trunk so it can be taken off that list/out of voting. :P
Thanks given by:
Going back on my previous statement, make a poll if you really want to count votes. :-P

Regarding the sorting of maps into map "types:"
If I made a map, I'd hope it would be playable in all modes. I wouldn't want it to be thought of as a "TOSOK" map or a "CTF" map only.
Thanks given by:
(31 Jan 11, 12:58AM)V-Man Wrote: Going back on my previous statement, make a poll if you really want to count votes. :-P
Of course, but isn't there a limit to the amount of options there can be on a poll? Or do you mean an off-site poll?

(31 Jan 11, 12:58AM)V-Man Wrote: Regarding the sorting of maps into map "types:"
If I made a map, I'd hope it would be playable in all modes. I wouldn't want it to be thought of as a "TOSOK" map or a "CTF" map only.
I don't mean by modes, I meant "categories", which players can make if they wish to organize their maps folder.

On another note, I think it would be nice for the maps menu to be split to "maps currently in the rotation" and "other maps" when you're in multiplayer.

Quote:It's a copy from a CounterStrike map.
But actually now that I think of it, why is that map hated by the devs but not ac_douze since it comes from Cube?
There's nothing wrong with dust2 -- it's just that back in 2009, there were servers run by the now defunct Black-Squadron clan that played it 24/7. It made players believe that all there was to AssaultCube was dust2 and that it was a Counter-Strike clone, when it really wasn't.

There was a pretty epic flame train in the forums around July-August 2009, and eventually the devs decided to kill all the dust2 servers and other servers that were running low-quality maps (I remember Makke changed his forum DP from a man with a sword to a man with a banhammer). Overnight all the dust2 servers were gone. This is sorta why we have servers being rickrolled, and just hatred for any fun map. There was just so much controversy at the time that most of us are still feeling the stigma attached to fun maps and dust2, which for a time "ruined the game".

But either way, I don't think I'll mind if any server runs dust2, as long as they don't push it 24/7. However, it shouldn't be made official anyway--I don't think the devs want to make AC look like a CS clone, and some parts are a bit too "open", if you get what I mean.

That's just my two cents.

Thanks given by: