Ideas
(26 Jun 11, 05:54PM)DES|Cleaner Wrote: btw my dear V-Man, since it's only an idea thrown in the air and unless a massive following there is no real expectations for it to be officially implemented I suppose you could easily make a script for it couldn't you? If you do I promise I will fix all your files transfers to the AKIMBO Forum :D

I suppose, but it'd be a thousand times more efficient and easily made/implemented when a CubeScript ident that tracks health is available. I believe Bukz said it's planned for the next version.
With such a variable, it might even be easier to make such a mod in CubeScript than in hard-code.
Thanks given by:
Hummm I though it was already the case, I have seen screenies showing stats of who shot you, how many hits/damages aso... very detailed.
Thanks given by:
I think it would most probably lag if done with CubeScript, since the script would have to load the sound from a specific file into the game and apply it every single time you're below a certain health number (20?).
Thanks given by:
Same as any other game sound, actually, especially if it's loaded into the sound config file or using the registersound wrapper.
Thanks given by:
Can't be done in script AFAIK. In C++, it'd be two lines, unless you want it timed.
I just need two things:
1) an answer on whether it should be enabled by default
2) a sound with an appropriate license
Thanks given by:
tbh I can't remember at all where I got that one from it's been in my archives for ages but I got another one here [Image: ogg.gif].

Credits: Herbert Boland
Source: http://www.freesound.org/
License: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/sampling+/1.0/

About having it enabled by default I suppose not, if there is a lag issue it should be up to the player to switch it on.

EDIT: If there is a need to rework it, like just a single beat that is looped via script let me know.
Thanks given by:
A spectator mode which doesn't actually kick you for inactivity :|
Thanks given by:
I like that the beating in that audio is slow. The obvious choice would have been a pounding, fast heartbeat but I think this is better.
Thanks given by:
Sorry about the misunderstanding, Cleaner!
When I saw map configuration, I thought .cfg and then wondered what that had to do with it :S
Thanks given by:
No worries mate, it happened to me also when I once mistook 'trunk' for a mapmodel XD
Thanks given by:
I finally got around to committing that heartbeat stuff. To you SVN testers out there, please tell me if it's loud enough (don't forget to enable it before ;) e.g. /heartbeat 25 )
Thanks given by:
<3 tempest
Thanks given by:
* Cleaner can't wait for a positive post
Thanks given by:
[20:14] <+Huntsman> but both games we won by kills
[20:15] <@Xu|Orynge> points, actually
[20:15] <@Xu|Orynge> it goes flags-points-frags-deaths
[20:15] <+Huntsman> pfft
[20:16] <+the_andyman> i know
[20:16] <+the_andyman> that's stupid
[20:16] <+the_andyman> should be flags-frags-deaths
[20:16] <+the_andyman> or flags-frags-deaths-points
[20:16] <+the_andyman> or even just flags
[20:16] <+the_andyman> with overtime
[20:16] <+the_andyman> they should put in some system
[20:16] <+the_andyman> in matchmode
[20:16] <+the_andyman> flags are the only deciding factor
[20:16] <+the_andyman> if tied, next flag wins
[20:17] <+the_andyman> and add respawn delay
[20:17] <+the_andyman> to prevent depot games going forevre
[20:17] <+the_andyman> ie. after 1 minute of overtime, you have to wait 6 secs to spawn, instead of 5
[20:17] <+the_andyman> after 2 mins you wait 7 secs etc.
[20:17] <+the_andyman> eventually something's gotta give
[20:17] <+Huntsman> yeah
[20:17] <+the_andyman> because you get, like, 10 seconds after each kill to get flag and leave

I was also thinking that maybe the flag bases could swap around...
Thanks given by:
(01 Jul 11, 11:26AM)Orynge Wrote: I was also thinking that maybe the flag bases could swap around...

So the enemy flag would be at your base and vice versa? You would have to grab the flag from your base and just get to the enemy base after killing the guy with your flag?
I kinda like this idea, but it sounds more like a twist on HTF/CTF than a sudden death thing.
Thanks given by:
There's no need for this overtime crap. What are the chances of two teams having the same flags, frags, deaths, and points?! The team at the top of the scoreboard is the winner no matter what you believe, unless like said before, every singly goddamn thing is tied, and that's just remarkably dubious.
Thanks given by:
(02 Jul 11, 01:08AM)|BC|Wolf Wrote: --

I get what you mean, but a lot of players are unhappy with a match being decided by points.

I doubt this will change anyway, it was just an idea.
Thanks given by:
It's only decided by points if Flags is tied.
Thanks given by:
Either way you'll always have players unhappy about something not going by their liking.

Back to that heartbeat feature, as anyone tested it yet? If so how did it turned out?
Thanks given by:
Just tested it.
When I first boot up AC, I get the following errors in my console:
unknown command: persistidents
(from code or builtin)
unknown command: persistidents
(from code or builitin)
//map loaded messages
unknown alias lookup: tmpclientdata
(from console or builitin)
unknown alias lookup: tmpsurvdata
(from console or builitin)

and when I try to enable the sound with "/heartbeat 75" it says:
unknown command: heartbeat
(from console or builtin)

and ofc, the heartbeat sound doesn't play no matter how low my health is.
EDIT: yes, I did remember to update my SVN first :)
Thanks given by:
I don't believe the heartbeat feature has been committed to the SVN yet, the persistidents unknown command errors is probably due to the SVN trunk having outdated binaries, the others (tmpClientData/tmpSurvData) were attempts to clean up all the aliases in saved.cfg into two list aliases, turns out it doesn't want to work as I had planned. I just reverted those changes and if you update your SVN again, delete saved.cfg - and try again, the only errors you may see still are the ones pertaining to persistidents, and heartbeat commands.

Tempest may come in and clear things up about the heartbeat feature.
Thanks given by:
I did commit it, but you probably didn't compile your own binaries, and the SVN ones weren't updated in the meantime, thus you don't have the feature.
Thanks given by:
Just tried it out, pretty cool other than it seems a tad quiet.
Thanks given by:
Maybe combine the reduced volume players experience when hit with a grenade with the heartbeat. The volume of the heart need not be overwhelming but if you deaden other sounds it could have a nice result.
Thanks given by:
Yeah, that's what I feared. The problem is that any heartbeat sounds I could find were rather quiet, and I couldn't overmodulate them much without getting artifacts. Anyways, I'll try.
Thanks given by:
throw it my way if you have lossless source and the licence allows; unfortunately it's in the nature of that particular sound that it's got deep bass and little upper frequencies to "cut through" other sounds
Thanks given by:
(02 Jul 11, 10:04PM)GeneralDisarray Wrote: unfortunately it's in the nature of that particular sound that it's got deep bass and little upper frequencies to "cut through" other sounds

Yeah, you're probably right. Didn't think of that, I just chose it because it appeared a little louder than the one Cleaner suggested.
That's what happens when a noob dabbles at sound engineering ;)

But yeah, give it a try.
The one I used: http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=22416
Cleaner's: http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=32731
Thanks given by:
The one you used doesn't sound like a heart tbh. It sounds like some drum sounds :/

What do you think about this one: http://www.soundsnap.com/node/13108?

I think that if you just turn the volume up a little, and reduce the volume of the other sounds it would work.
Thanks given by:
(02 Jul 11, 10:18PM)|BC|Wolf Wrote: The one you used doesn't sound like a heart tbh. It sounds like some drum sounds :/

What do you think about this one: http://www.soundsnap.com/node/13108?

I think that if you just turn the volume up a little, and reduce the volume of the other sounds it would work.
Erm... http://www.soundsnap.com/products :(

btw, I did mentioned that I could rework the sound if needed.

Thanks given by:
@ tempest, I did try the heartbeat feature on svn and indeed it sounds kinda metallic drum, I have enhanced the Herbert Boland sound and converted it in mono, see if that's any good to you [Image: ogg.gif]

EDIT: What I do like with this one is the fact that it ain't totally regular, they are variances between different beats.
Thanks given by: