1.1.0.3 Release
He is a veteran... and veterans are above weapon choices.
Thanks given by:
(16 Oct 10, 12:19PM)tipper|DES| Wrote: Lotsa chat about the sniper. Want to know what I think(?)…..didn’t think so, but I’m going to tell you anyway. It doesn’t belong in ac.
Just about every beginner picks up the sniper and sits in some main traffic spot getting in everyone’s way, slowing the game down and generally pissing everyone off.
I cant count the number of sniper “players” I have to stumble over leaving or returning to base. Ac should have a “kick the sniper in the arse” key bind option.

Lol, nice pic. First newbie question in public servers: "How do you crouch?" :-)

Well, sniper-user and camper are not always synonyms. I was playing on a public server a few days ago and made a joke about a guy (nickname something like Army-Forces) who had an insane ratio and was basically sitting in red base in ac_depot and sniping every blue coming in. King of all campers, I said, but next map was ac_shine, and I soon saw that the guy was not just a good camper, he was also pretty darn good at moving around and using his sniper at any range. So irritatingly good that I wondered if he hadn't already found a way around the anti-cheat system.

Anyway, I think the new armour values are a good thing, and I like the fact that there aren't as many sniper-pistol users now as there were in 1.0.4 (and they are a bit less accurate too). It leaves more room to diversity... 1.0.4 was generally down to sniper-pistol vs SMG on public servers, now you find about every weapon in a game, a bit too many shotters sometimes, but good AR players and carbine players too.

Talking about carbine, couldn't anyone find a decent sound for that one? It just doesn't sound like a firearm at all. Sounds like playing drums with brushes, if you see what I mean.
Thanks given by:
(15 Oct 10, 10:45PM)Alien Wrote: better have balanced weapons, there is no list of situations, no classification of maps, and mainly no count of these situations, i prefer all weapons in ac_mines and not only shotguns etc.

this.
an interesting case study that i have being studying in 1.1:
i have not yet found a player who can play with sniper and get a higher score than when they were using AR. PERFECT WEAPON BALANCE.
Thanks given by:
Well... I believe a sniper guy still can do more score than anyone else... the sniper+knife combo does 2 frags, also the headshots...
Thanks given by:
On pubs all my best scores (frag wise), by far, were made with the sniper rifle and I'm not that good of a sniper, so I assume that a pro sniper will do just fine...
For matches, well, the sniper rifle was never my weapon of choice, so I have a hard time against good smg and AR, but that was the case on 1.0 too. I think that after people get use to the changes on game play, the true good snipers will still own like before.
Thanks given by:
You know, using the knife isn't the prerogative of sniper. I've done plenty of SMG + knife combos too. Just not on TheCrema. ;-)
Thanks given by:
(18 Oct 10, 08:09PM)TheCrema Wrote: On pubs all my best scores (frag wise), by far, were made with the sniper rifle and I'm not that good of a sniper, so I assume that a pro sniper will do just fine...
For matches, well, the sniper rifle was never my weapon of choice, so I have a hard time against good smg and AR, but that was the case on 1.0 too. I think that after people get use to the changes on game play, the true good snipers will still own like before.

in matches sniper is a risk, expecially in ctf. if you miss a single shot, it means that an enemy can exit your base with flag.
i love 1.1 cause now to be good you must be good with all the weapons:

carabine is absolutely the best in survivor
AR is the best in ctf open maps, while probably shotty is the best in small maps (idk im bad with it) and in HTF.
you must know sniper to play tosok
tdm: if your mate is using sniper, you probably should pick smg.
Thanks given by:
smg is better than ar against crowds (2 or 3 enemies in front of you)...
Thanks given by:
yeah i can do better on pubs than alot of players with sniper, but in matches im absolutely screwed against pro players with AR and smgs
Thanks given by:
After installing 1.1.0.3 I want to start the game but got this error:
current locale: de_DE.UTF-8
init: sdl
init: net
init: world
init: video: sdl
init: video: mode
X Error of failed request: BadLength (poly request too large or internal Xlib length error)
Major opcode of failed request: 135 (GLX)
Minor opcode of failed request: 17 (X_GLXVendorPrivateWithReply)
Serial number of failed request: 18
Current serial number in output stream: 18

The Version 1.1.0.1 worked perfectly, but now the protocol is to old.
Has anybody a similar problem in starting the new version ?

I'm playing under openSuse 11.2 and KDE 4.3.5.
Thanks a lot
kubundu
Thanks given by:
It looks like a local issue... did you upgrade the xlib?
Thanks given by:
(25 Oct 10, 04:58PM)Brahma Wrote: It looks like a local issue... did you upgrade the xlib?

It's installed from the repository.
I'm using a NVidia GeForce 9600 GT grafic card.
Which xlib ist needed vor 1.1.0.3 ?
still wondering because 1.1.0.1 is running good.
Thanks given by:
There shouldn't be any such serious changes required.
Have you tried (re-)moving saved.cfg and (!) init.cfg from inside your game-home/config directory!?!
Thanks given by:
May I suggest that the shotty is a tad bit overpowered? The 2 hit kill at medium distance is really bugging me. A while ago, the admins banned headshot city and ezjemville as they were "no skill crap maps" where any cross eyed noob could click and get a kill. They wanted assault cube to be fast paced and full of decently skilled players. Now not to discriminate or insult shotty players but it requires the least skill out of all the weapons and is arguably the most common weapon. Any player can click and "splatter" someone without taking a single bullet. But you must see that pubs are ruined because 50% of the players run around with splatter guns mindlessly. I feel that this overpowerment of the shotgun has damaged the gameplay more than buffed it. I realize you want to make it a competitive weapon but I think it should spread more but do the same damage as in 1.0 so you can still hit from far away, but less damage. Also, the low power of the sniper is a large downfall, but I cannot complain. I can use the AR and SMG pretty well in 1.1. However, I must note that few maps allow for long sniping and sniper usage. Small maps such as mines or gothic are shottyfests. Only shine and depot are semi ideal for a sniper so I would suggest bring in a bit longer distances. My 2 cents, KN!F3
Thanks given by:
I think sniper is pretty good tbh. So is SMG and AR, but the Shotty (like KN!F3 mentioned) is too powerful. I've seen too many noobs running like headless chickens but still managing more kills than they should.

What about making it one complete body shot that would normalyl splatter you instantly, but now instead damage you 50%-85% and also kick the damaged player a bit back that may throw his aim off, but it would still be harder for the shotgunner.

I think we should start brainstorming on ways to make the shotty's job harder, cause it gets really annoying when you get into a server full of newcomers, but they still manage to leave you with low health after killing them, that another newcomer runs by and clicks his shotgun and you're dead.
Thanks given by:
Shell by shell reloading. Also, I think Wolf's kickback idea is very good... but I do think that when shooting from a point blank range it should still kill with one shot. I like the current spread and number of pellets, just bring the damage down a bit.

EDIT: Come to think of it, actually... how much damage does the shotty do in one hit? If you can't bring down the damage enough to make it balanced while keeping its ability to one-shot kill from up close, I guess you'd have to adjust the spread at least a bit.
Thanks given by:
Shotgun still has 21 pellets, each does 5 damage. For a splatter to happen all 21 pellets have to hit for 105 damage. There's no problem with this but I do agree with JMM - don't change the damage, just tweak the spread.
Thanks given by:
shotgun is fine to me, one shot kill in very close range, sniper is cool to, one shot kill with headshot.
but,I think the other weapons must be improved, other weapons are weak compared with sniper and shotgun;
exemple:

Carbine: one shot kill for carbine with Headshots

SMG and Assault rifle: more damage in head, and remove pushback when shooting, would be good support weapons.

SMG: more spread and damage(improve it for close range)

AR: more damage and fireinterval(improve it for medium and long range)

Pistol: more fireinterval and damange(more like DE, kill unprotected Players in 3 shots)

new weapon> Rapid pistol: like pistol, but, less damange/fireinterval e more ammo : D(yes, another subgun)
Thanks given by:
Interesting - if you followed this thread and several others then it seems that
- sound issues,
- not executed gamma settings,
- incomplete langauge translation support,
- dropping fps issues,
- playermodel stuck together issues,
- suddenly slowed down movement,
- missing map preview,
- aso
aren't the biggest problem of this release. Nope it is the weapon/armor balance. Therefore this should be renamed into the official weapon issue thread.
Thanks given by:
Sound issues - try openAL-soft, worked for me on Windows 7 64bit.
Thanks given by:
(07 Nov 10, 05:48PM)Gibstick Wrote: Sound issues - try openAL-soft, worked for me on Windows 7 64bit.

Depends if we are talking about the same issues. And I have a mac btw.
Thanks given by:
Sounds appearing full volume out of nowhere without depth, sounds not playing if played in rapid succession (SMG and AR + hitsound), etc.
Thanks given by:
Oh, yes. I keep constantly getting stuck at my teammates.

One other issue I've had is the AFK timer... say, we're having a match (the mode is match too) and at the end of the round someone just disconnects, so we chat around a little and then someone says "oh he just timed out on IRC". So what we do is chat around some more, maybe 2 minutes, and after the guy hasn't showed up someone says "oh screw this, I get someone else", but he can't connect because the master is open. And as soon as someone opens the master, everyone gets round-house AFK kicked from the server.

One other thing I've noticed too, with automatic weapons... IDK if it's just the sound not playing, but sometimes the AR/SMG "skips" shots

Back to weapon balance:

I still think sniper should be the only weapon that gets extra damage for headshots. Also, right now I don't think it's overpowered at all - I'd lean towards saying that it's underpowered, though I think it's fine now. And I want the kickback to stay so I can rifle run.
Thanks given by:
I'm getting stuck at teammates too, it's really annoying, specially in pubs :/
Thanks given by:
Hmm, aren't there a Feedback/Bug-Reports for AssaultCube v1.1 thread?
Thanks given by:
(08 Nov 10, 10:54PM)DES|OpenSource Wrote: Hmm, aren't there a Feedback/Bug-Reports for AssaultCube v1.1 thread?
Nope, the thing you linked us to is just a clever illusion.
Thanks given by:
I don't care about the damage of the sniper the feeling of it it's what drives me crazy, somehow it's diferent so my issue is if you pleeeaase leave the sniper dynamics the way they were (?) In 1.0.4?? I know it's a lot to ask but maybe you can do it if not thanks anyway :)
Thanks given by:
jAcKRoCk: you're probably not aware that the sniper now has some "spread" (think "imprecision") to it if you're not actually scoped. Once you open the scope it will require a tiny amount of "settle time" to be a 100% precise weapon.

We've finally started adding new weapons and logically this requires us to re-balance them; if we didn't see to it that all weapons have more-or-less the same effective "punch" then it'd make no matter how many weapons we added, everybody would only be using the overpowered BFG-11K.

Similar to how currently 19% of all games over the last week were played on ac_desert, 16% on ac_douze and 4% on ac_shine, nearly 3% for ac_scaffold and ac_mines and only ever lower from there on.
26% of the games were in CTF mode, 23% TOSOK and about 10% for both OSOK and DM and tDM. LSS at 6.5%, HF at 4% and coop-edit at 4%.

Definitely lopsided .. I bet if we polled for the gun-usage we'd still be seeing the SMG ruling the scoreboard, closely followed by the SR .. and the rest huddling at the lower end of the scale.
Of course, we could just kick out all other modes except for CTF, OSOK and DM - just one team mode, yes - and eliminate all weapons except for SR and SMG.
Would anybody notice?
Thanks given by:
@flowtron
If you visit any pub playing CTF in any map 50% of the players are shotties and a few are assault rifle and less are smg. Rarely will you see a sniper doing good anymore.
Thanks given by:
Aye, I'd say the estimate of 50% is about correct in my opinion as well.
Not that I'm complaining... It's fun to see the reaction after dodging their supposed BFG-11k blasts.
There's no substitute for good footwork and tracking.
Thanks given by: