1.1.0.3 Release
That last sentence made me chuckle :)

If by ratio whoring you mean not to storm in mindlessly all the time, I guess it's a good thing. I know that mindless storming and twitching is a huge part of this game, and part of it's appeal, but imho, a little strategy and tactics now and then can't hurt.
Thanks given by:
(15 Oct 10, 06:19AM)TheCrema Wrote: No its not, the reason lots of ppl are complaining about the sniper/pistol combo now is caus they can't have the auto-switch script anymore and without it they are too damn slow to make the gun work. Just train a bit more with it and try to pull your knife out for a change when you are close range and if didn't notice the pistol is MUCH better in 1.1.
Apart from the bit stronger armor and the new "smaller" head, the sniper rifle feels the exact same weapon from 1.0, at least for for those who, instead of depend on a controversial script, took their time to practice.

I myself have never used the auto-switch script, and took my time to practice the sniper in 1.04. However, I still find 1.1 marginally more difficult to use the sniper. The largest factor, by far, far, is the new scope-mouse accel thingy. I can't get used to it no matter what. I might consider playing 1.1 more if I knew how to disable it....

Thanks given by:
How did you use the sniper in 1.0 ? Did you use scopesens?

There is no acceleration by default, so I think you mean scopesenscale.
I have no idea myself why scopesens was removed actually. It should override any scaling (and has done so in 1.0 , as far as I remember).

I just saw that the scopesens alias was removed from defaults.cfg. Someone's gonna be in trouble now.
Thanks given by:
It is wasting time of discussion if someone thinks sniper = script user, try some serious match against MyS or wOOp or TyD with sniper, let them to play with AR and show here a screenshot. I had problems with 0.5 ratio in such match and only headshots gave me points. It didn't happen me in 1.0 version. I had a chance to win ctf depot with sniper, now show me a screenshot with somebody and nobody will tell any word. I am not pattern but it is my impressions.

gj, Ty for new version, time to recompile servers :)

Thanks given by:
(15 Oct 10, 04:40PM)makkE Wrote: I just saw that the scopesens alias was removed from defaults.cfg. Someone's gonna be in trouble now.
actually makkE such alias was no longer needed since scopesensscale is hardcoded in AC now (this fixed some glitches that happened frequently)
before that alias was put to make scopesensscale variable, influence sentivity, now scopesensscale variable is built-in. so just set it ingame.

scopesensscale set to 0.5 divides sensitivity by two when scoping, default behavior.
anyway i suggest to everyone to use autoscopesens, which makes the sniper sensitivity feel exacly the same as the normal sens (with this you'll only need to get used to 1 sensitivity and not 2, it's easier to learn sniper this way)
correct me if i never realized some additional use to scopesens alias.

and to everyone:
acceleration is present only in the case mouseaccel parameter get touched
so when you say "scope-accel sens thingy" you are not saying anything.
the sniper scope behavior is exactly the same as in 1.0, the only thing changed is a fix to the hitbox.

so to exactly get 1.0.4 sniper scope behavior:
run this 3 commands
autoscopesens 0 // to get 1.0.4 behavior this must be disabled
scopesensscale 0,5 // default value for 1.0.4
mouseaccel 0

(sry for the grammar/structural english mistakes)
Thanks given by:
Well, I still see the need for a separate scopesens that overrides the scale command because it's relatively cryptic to use, and also, someone might be used to his own values since 0.9 - they might not be able or have a hard time to get this with scale only.

I must repeat, when things are changed in mouse handling, we must make sure the old options remain! Mouse feel is a _sensitive_ subject, and it can frustrate players a lot when it changes!
Thanks given by:
makkE to set it to old behavior just set scopesensscale to what it was set before.
and i agree that change mouse feel is a very sensitive subject, but in this case, no real change was actually applied,

back in 0.93 you did /scopesensscale = 0.43
now you do /scopesensscale 0,43

(0.43 doesnt mean anything it's a example value)
to me it doesnt look too complicated to get used to it.
edit.
maybe now i got what you mean,
you mean a command that directly sets sensitivity without using any scaling?

sensitivity 3.5
scopesens 1,5
Thanks given by:
I know, I was wondering too why there are complaints, since nothing has changed really. Still, the scopesens command makes sense to have, simply because other games offer it too. I would think it's easier for someone to just copy his values than to adjust scopesensscale. Not everyone likes math ;)
Thanks given by:
in this case,
there is a easy addition :)

alias scopesens [
    autoscopesens 0
    scopesensscale (divf $arg1 $sensitivity)
]
just add this into scripts.cfg
it can be more practical for some people.
to use it do /scopesens [sensitivity_to_use_when_scoping]
this command just converts a sensitivity value into a scale value.
Thanks given by:
i don't scope, there is no time for scoping... Is here some sniper scoping ?
Thanks given by:
not using scope means you are very likely to miss your target
Thanks given by:
if target don't dance i am able to hit his head without scoping, i learned it by long time playing, it is just reflex, therefore some small change take me time to adapt again
Thanks given by:
I scope if the target moves and is further away than ~25 cubes, otherwise I try to headshot him w/o scope. If the target is an expierenced player I still have to scope on close distances.
Thanks given by:
I have the belief that experienced snipers will "fast scope" to reduce the sniper spread.
Thanks given by:
that's correct B :)
Thanks given by:
The thing is Alien: the sniper rifle is not an assault weapon, is a tactical one. It shouldn't be easy nor practical to be used for close range combats. In 1.0 the sniper worked perfectly in every single map. Was the most precise weapon, with the pistol combo it had a super fast killing rate (faster than the Assault Rifle and almost the same as the smg depending on the player) could kill with only one shot, scopes and kills like any other at long range. 1.0 had a super sniper rifle.

To me, it makes a whole lot more sense like it is now, on close combat the sniper should not stand a chance against assault weapons the same way that they cannot compete with sniper at long-mid range. Much more balanced now imo. For instance: the chances of a sniper beat a shotugunner at point blank range have to be slim!

To me it makes sense that no weapon should have the ability to do it all, everywhere, like the 1.0 sniper does.
Thanks given by:
(15 Oct 10, 09:34PM)TheCrema Wrote: To me, it makes a whole lot more sense like it is now, on close combat the sniper should not stand a chance against assault weapons the same way that they cannot compete with sniper at long-mid range. Much more balanced now imo. For instance: the chances of a sniper beat a shotugunner at point blank range have to be slim!

This makes me think that maybe the pistol should have a few more bullets, to give sniper users a chance to win a close combat as well.
12 maybe ?

Thanks given by:
I agree... but remember the pistol is pretty precise now.... if we increase the pistol clip we get the chance of people using the pistol as primary weapon (for fun, of course). Well... maybe it is not so bad.
Thanks given by:
I use the sniper in almost every situation and I dont think its necessary to increase the pistol mag size, 8 is ok as its very precise now! Tho, I think 12 could be fun as it may be possible to take out more than three people w/o reloading with the sniper/pistol combo :P
Thanks given by:
I agree with Robtics, combo is better now, i don't know if 12 or 8, i cannot predict if this bonus would be effective, everyone has learned reloading with current clips

Thanks given by:
Yes, 3 kills with sniper/pistol combo without the need to reload maybe would help the balance more!

Now, people can use only one weapon all the time if they fell like it, but they need to understand that in some situations, other weapons will work better. Hummm, that's a goo question, actually: All weapons working fine for any given scenario and being a match for all other weapons = good balance or we should accept the fact that depending on the case (map/tactics?), one weapon will be much better than the others?
I, particularly, like the second option more...

Thanks given by:
better have balanced weapons, there is no list of situations, no classification of maps, and mainly no count of these situations, i prefer all weapons in ac_mines and not only shotguns etc.
Thanks given by:
btw: in this version I sometimes respawn and then respawn again w/o dieing like it was in the 1.1. svn. I didnt notice that in 1.1.0.2. Did some1 else notice this too or is it just me?
Thanks given by:
@Robtics: Happens to me quite frequently.

The pistol is good now, I wouldn't mind a bit of extra ammo but I would hate if it was nerfed in other ways (maybe except 1-2 points of damage taken off), I like the slightly faster and accurate pistol a lot better than the one in 1.0. Maybe 2 extra bullets for a compromise?
Thanks given by:
(15 Oct 10, 05:00PM)Alien Wrote: now show me a screenshot with somebody and nobody will tell any word.
screenshot
(url instead of img because it's an uncut screenshot.)

Robtics and GeneralDisarray are the sniper-users in this screenshot. Notice Robtics has the most frags, and everyone else has an equal number of frags. Case in point: Robtics rules.
Oh, and also, sniper is a great weapon when it is in competent hands.
Thanks given by:
ok, thanks for the answers.
Thanks given by:
@V-Man
i said sniper vs AR users, your screenshot is sniper vs sniper and else AR or sg, there are mixed teams, next it is interclan, i often during interclan more spamm than play, please serious match, (if halo used AR, sniper finished his work, it was always good combination of weapons)

Quote:sniper is a great weapon when it is in competent hands.
ofc ;)
Thanks given by:
But Halo didnt use the AR, it was more like that I shot 'em and Halo finished my work with his SMG ;)

Here is another screenshot: CCCPgirl was using shotgun and djogli was using the AR and the SMG. I'm not totally sure what he played most with anymore! (I hope its ok for TaS that I post the screenshot here, I'll remove it if not!) It was version 1.1.0.2.

I think its better to have balanced weapons because it will always please every1 and with an increased pistol mag the sniper would be a strong weapon too (not that it isnt atm but it will be more usefull in public games)
Thanks given by:
Lotsa chat about the sniper. Want to know what I think(?)…..didn’t think so, but I’m going to tell you anyway. It doesn’t belong in ac.
Just about every beginner picks up the sniper and sits in some main traffic spot getting in everyone’s way, slowing the game down and generally pissing everyone off.
I cant count the number of sniper “players” I have to stumble over leaving or returning to base. Ac should have a “kick the sniper in the arse” key bind option.
Jamz sums up the average sniper player in this highly amusing ss (hope you don’t mind me borrowing this Jamz)

[Image: b5df11e4060b847812a969ec20d952822g.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Sniper is my life O.o I disagree. You must me an smger :D
Thanks given by: