1.1.0.x - alpha/experimental testing has begun
(18 Jul 10, 11:20PM)LaNterN Wrote:
Quote:8.c) the player cannot vote for a map the server does not have (so, they need to send the map first)

what is the command for this?

/sendmap
Thanks given by:
I've been curious about that myself. I think autoexec.cfg gets executed first, then saved.cfg. Maybe if I get bored I'll look at the source code to know for sure.
Thanks given by:
(19 Jul 10, 04:14AM)Zomg! Wrote: The changes to the nade are for the worst imo. They kill the purpose of nades. Why use nades if you can just smg them. No incentives for nades, and don't give me that tactical bs.

I don't agree. The changes only kill the purpose of nades if said purpose was nade spamming, suicide bombing, and getting a high ratio easily, which were probably not their primary purpose anyway.
As far as I know, nades still do the same damage as before. They will just be a little harder to get, but you can now carry three at a time, which can be useful. And the 1 nade gib = 1 frag is logical.
In my opinion, these changes are for the best. Just be a little more cautious about wasting nades uselessly is all it will take.

I agree with Apollo and TheCrema about the AFK kick time... 45 sec is way too short, something like 2-3 minutes would be more realistic. If you get disconnected every time you go take a leak or go get a drink in the fridge, and then have to wait for 10 minutes to reconnect because the server is full, it can get very frustrating. You don't want players to piss themselves or get dehydrated, do you? :-)
Thanks given by:
Hmm. Most annoying thing about the new grenade changes is that sniper users are now the only people who can get double points for gibs.
Thanks given by:
(19 Jul 10, 02:55PM)Lumpaz Wrote:
(19 Jul 10, 04:14AM)Zomg! Wrote: The changes to the nade are for the worst imo. They kill the purpose of nades. Why use nades if you can just smg them. No incentives for nades, and don't give me that tactical bs.

I don't agree. The changes only kill the purpose of nades if said purpose was nade spamming, suicide bombing, and getting a high ratio easily, which were probably not their primary purpose anyway.

what? the nades have been slightly made more useless as if i were to evaluate the risk of exposing myself and placing a well timed nade on my enemies head, what would be the point? the time it takes in showing myself means they can get 5-6 hits in while i am waiting to throw in the last milliseconds all for 1 frag, when you could frag them with good aim in this time and be ready for a potential second attack.

Also, lss has been changed now with the nade changes. IMO it was the mode of choice to get to know your opponent before, as it was like chess. however the 25% chance of picking up 2 nades introduces a degree of luck into it.
Thanks given by:
There has always been some degree of luck with nades. When you pull that pin, you seldom really know where the enemy will be when it explodes.
Unless a wallhack is involved. :-P

@ Cactus: I think the 2-frag gib for sniper is what makes it worth keeping around. I personally think it's more difficult to headshot someone than nade them. Spamming missiles with a large damage radius shouldn't count for two frags when lining up a headshot takes so much more finesse and skill.
I can't believe I said that... I hate getting gibbed by snipers.
Thanks given by:
Ok... let me try to comment each of the concerns.

1) Shotgun sound bug
This is new to me, and I will test this afternoon to find the reason of this.

2) AFK disconnect
Guys! AFK disconnect is a feature that was requested dozen of times in the old "Ideas thread".
I see people complaining about this are forgetting some specific points:
a) It works ONLY in open servers (the pubs);
b) It is triggered AFTER 45 seconds of inactivity, id est, no playing activity;
c) The AFK autokick was requested due to situations like this: You can score a flag in ac_depot in only 15 seconds... if you are chatting, your team will be playing with one (or two) players less... and so, the other team can easily make one or two flags.
d) SPECTATE MODE was created to be used in the MATCH mode (not in public servers)... so people spectating in public servers have (almost) the same effect of AFK.

Anyway, the server owner has the option to change this time (for its own risk)... but I do not remember the switch now.... :P

3) Scoretable
You are right... it is better to merge ping/pj in one column...
About the negative scores, we can simply fix this with an if ( score < 0 ) print 0;
Also, you must consider the score values are in testing, and the dev's team still not discussed what will be the final values (for the medals system).

4) Scopesens
We did some improvements in the mouse sens, filter and accel... and unfortunately changed a bit the default values of the 1.0.4 and we did not document all new options yet. Also, we MUST include these options in the QUICK setup, imo.... I will re-do this soon.

5) Nades
Less complain guys... you still can gib 4 enemies at once with a nade, gaining 4 frags! This is the real purpose of the nade... not easy score. Also, you still can throw a nade to one direction (in front of a door) and go to another one, giving your backs to the nade... if some enemy appear there, he will be gibbed. So, nades must be used with the brain and the skill... those who are missing the easy score were playing wrong, imho.

6) Anticheats / Autoban
I passed the antispeedhack in a hurry to the 1.1... and it is unexpectedly more sensible to some specific lag patterns... I am working on this... so, please, do not scare for some (very wrong) auto-bans (my fault... i should not enabled this now....)
Thanks given by:
I don't care what anyone says nade is dead.
"Less complain guys... you still can gib 4 enemies at once with a nade, gaining 4 frags! This is the real purpose of the nade... not easy score. Also, you still can throw a nade to one direction (in front of a door) and go to another one, giving your backs to the nade"
That's tactical bs. Nade is about high scores. That is the true purpose of the nade.
Thanks given by:
In my opinion the nade is NOT for high scores. It´s a tactical weapon. And in 1.0.x it got abused for spamming.
Thanks given by:
(19 Jul 10, 07:02PM)Brahma Wrote: 2) AFK disconnect
Guys! AFK disconnect is a feature that was requested dozen of times in the old "Ideas thread".
I see people complaining about this are forgetting some specific points:
a) It works ONLY in open servers (the pubs);
b) It is triggered AFTER 45 seconds of inactivity, id est, no playing activity;
c) The AFK autokick was requested due to situations like this: You can score a flag in ac_depot in only 15 seconds... if you are chatting, your team will be playing with one (or two) players less... and so, the other team can easily make one or two flags.
d) SPECTATE MODE was created to be used in the MATCH mode (not in public servers)... so people spectating in public servers have (almost) the same effect of AFK.

Brahma, you are repeating the same info again and again. But you haven't read the posts concerning this feature carefully. No one - TheCrema, Lumpaz and at least myself - have said that the AFK disconnect is a useless option. We are just talking (or begging) about a bigger waiting period or a smoother transition in the void.

(19 Jul 10, 07:02PM)Brahma Wrote: 3) Scoretable
You are right... it is better to merge ping/pj in one column...
About the negative scores, we can simply fix this with an if ( score < 0 ) print 0;
Also, you must consider the score values are in testing, and the dev's team still not discussed what will be the final values (for the medals system).

Sounds good to me so far
Thanks given by:
Nevermind.
Thanks given by:
Ok... sorry.
What I am trying to say in loops about the AFK autokick is: I would like to be 30s, but many people want to chat in the pubs... so we increased it 45s (i do not like it, but ok... people demands it)... now you are asking to increase it to "one minute"?

Look... one minute inactive and your team will lose the game. The AFK autokick was requested to kick people that do not play and just consume one slot of the pubs chatting or watching other people games... to kick people that have no care if their teammates are facing 2 or 3 enemies at once.

We have a great interest to improve the teamplay of the AC... this is the reason of the new score thing, and the future medals (and some other tricks I forget to talk about). And letting people stay inactive for more than 30 seconds disrupts completely the AC game play, which is supposed to be fast and dynamic.

I am not avoiding to read the arguments of you, TheCrema and others... I am just saying, you are wrong and you are not considering my arguments... Sorry for being arrogant, but I am a player of the pubs, not a clan player. It is extremely sad when you face 3 enemies, be killed, then press TAB to see the scoreboard and see there are two guys in your team completely inactive in the game.

Anyway, Toca put an switch in the server that allows you to change this time (0 for no autokick at all).
So, your concern is already satisfied... but I deeply beg you: do not use less than 45 seconds.
Thanks given by:
Brahma, what about... Not kicking them, but putting them in the SPEC group to let other people wanting to play, play the game
Thanks given by:
Aye, the AFK disconnect is a good thing. It just needs to be a more lengthy good thing.

As for nades:
Giving them 2 frags per kill was the mistake. This caused players to think of nades as a tool to boost one's score, rather than as a support weapon. The devs are now fixing that problem.

Think about it - When you toss a nade into a doorway and manage to frag someone that way, you have your two rewards:
1) a frag!
2) you don't have to face your opponent for the moment.
And as Brahma said, these 2 rewards will be multiplied based on how many poor fools fall victim to this powerful weapon.
Thanks given by:
Why not optionally lengthen AFK kick while text prompt is open and written to?
Thanks given by:
@|BC|Wolf
The spec state is the same as inactive in the pubs... there is no sense in letting people inactive occupying server slots.

@Mael
There is no way to detect it, since the AFK autokick is server side and the text prompt in client side... anyway, if we want team play we do not want people chatting, right?

Also,

(19 Jul 10, 10:05PM)Brahma Wrote: Anyway, Toca put an switch in the server that allows you to change this time (0 for no autokick at all).
So, your concern is already satisfied... but I deeply beg you: do not use less than 45 seconds.
Thanks given by:
(19 Jul 10, 10:05PM)Brahma Wrote: Ok... sorry.
What I am trying to say in loops about the AFK autokick is: I would like to be 30s, but many people want to chat in the pubs... so we increased it 45s (i do not like it, but ok... people demands it)... now you are asking to increase it to "one minute"?

Look... one minute inactive and your team will lose the game. The AFK autokick was requested to kick people that do not play and just consume one slot of the pubs chatting or watching other people games... to kick people that have no care if their teammates are facing 2 or 3 enemies at once.

We have a great interest to improve the teamplay of the AC... this is the reason of the new score thing, and the future medals (and some other tricks I forget to talk about). And letting people stay inactive for more than 30 seconds disrupts completely the AC game play, which is supposed to be fast and dynamic.

I am not avoiding to read the arguments of you, TheCrema and others... I am just saying, you are wrong and you are not considering my arguments... Sorry for being arrogant, but I am a player of the pubs, not a clan player. It is extremely sad when you face 3 enemies, be killed, then press TAB to see the scoreboard and see there are two guys in your team completely inactive in the game.

Anyway, Toca put an switch in the server that allows you to change this time (0 for no autokick at all).

1st) I'm playing pubs also - much more then clan matches (at least 99%). I know exactly whats going on there.

2nd) I' dont like the chat either, but past request to the devs to remove this feature has been ignored.

3rd) you are now using a new feature to disturb or make useless another feature. Well, if you all are so good in developing one server switch after another - isn't easier to develop now a "mute chat totally" switch - means also you have to add some more prebuild team commands then.

4rd) this feature is also disturbing other actions: If you are switching to the ingame menu to do some settings (for example mute some annoying voice com sounds) you will be kicked cause this action will take prbly more then 45 sec.

5th) yep, it sounds ignorant
Thanks given by:
Sorry Apollo... it was not my intention to offend you or your experience with the game.
But I do not believe you know "exactly whats going" on the pubs, and at the same time think it is appropriate a longer AFK kicking time...

I think it is an interesting idea to disable completely the chat (once I did this in my server, but I faced a lot more angry guys than I am facing here...)... so we cannot disable the chat... if it is used wisely it is a good thing. The point is, it is not used wisely... so we need to create another feature to control this. And the intention is really to disrupt the abusers.

And seriously... if you need more than 45 seconds to type a text or to change something in the config, do not make it in a middle of a ctf ac_shine 5x5 with your team counting on you... I really beg you: disconnect, let other one get your place, do what you need to do (there are appropriate softwares for chatting), and then come back to the game.
Thanks given by:
wow, chat has its spirit in AC, i am surprised that you don't like it
Thanks given by:
(19 Jul 10, 11:28PM)Brahma Wrote: But I do not believe you know "exactly whats going" on the pubs, and at the same time think it is appropriate a longer AFK kicking time...

Well, I don't know where and under which alias you are playing but I'm playing always with Apollo (there is a neat search feature, btw). Well at least it isn't exactly an AFK function, cause it's only checking one part of possible user interactions (moving the player model). That's the reason why it does some troubles, why several players are surprised why there AC isn't acting as expected anymore and why we are doing this discussion. It's quite easy. A real AFK kick would kick if there isn't any kind of user interaction after amount of time (in short: when the user is doing nothing). This AFK is kicking when the user isnt' doing what you want (in short: moving). This is a difference.

(19 Jul 10, 11:28PM)Brahma Wrote: And seriously... if you need more than 45 seconds to type a text ...

You still forget that there are

1) some ppl who are not natural english speakers who needs sometimes a bit longer to think about the right words (suprinsingly cause we both are from a countries in which english isn't the main language),

2) some ppl who are interested writing down complete sentences and not only lines like "stfu", "fu", "damn fuck Apollo", "mf", "ftp" which all doesnt take 45 sec to type in. Therefore I'm sure we will have get much more short lines and acronyms by now

Whatever

(19 Jul 10, 11:28PM)Brahma Wrote: or to change something in the config, do not make it in a middle of a ctf ac_shine 5x5 with your team counting on you...

I already state in past posts that some menus are to deep. Probably it is a good idea to make sure (!!) that the player will be disconnect whenever he used the option "go back to main menu" or using the server browser.

(19 Jul 10, 11:28PM)Brahma Wrote: I think it is an interesting idea to disable completely the chat (once I did this in my server, but I faced a lot more angry guys than I am facing here...)... so we cannot disable the chat... if it is used wisely it is a good thing. The point is, it is not used wisely... so we need to create another feature to control this. And the intention is really to disrupt the abusers.
I really beg you: disconnect, let other one get your place, do what you need to do (there are appropriate softwares for chatting), and then come back to the game.

In other words you have a feature which causes problems. Instead of removing it, you create another feature to fix it which causes other problems (sounds strange, lol). So we dont take it completly away, only a bit... (is this salami-slice strategy??)

Well if someone is bold enough to drop the abused chat feature, let me know.
Thanks given by:
D:
There are countries where English isn't the main language??
Heresy!!
Thanks given by:
Make it a server setting, but 60 seconds by default. That way no one can blame you Brahma!
Thanks given by:
While i share Apollo{TyD}'s views on AFK-Timer (make it work on only ppl that are AFK, I.E. Not moving) I really hate where the scoreboard is heading....

-Alien says "The purpose is eliminate unbalanced teams"

Is the goal to have every game end in a tie?
Thanks given by:
I think even 45 seconds is too short for AFK kick.

It doesn't bother me if a guy leaves the computer for a minute or two, it doesn't even bother me if my team loses by a flag in a pub because we had (OMGAWSH!11!) *one less player*. What bugs me if AFKers that simply don't come back and the idle dude sticks around for entire games, that messes with the team balance.
Thanks given by:
(20 Jul 10, 12:47AM)Bullpup Wrote: Is the goal to have every game end in a tie?

How many times have you seen in a pub that there is an exact tie in every single aspect (flags, frags, deaths, etc).
Thanks given by:
Scoreboard is fine. Good teams will still win the matches they deserve to. Bad teams will still lose. Teams that are even will just have to work a bit harder.
Thanks given by:
I use headphones with AC and have noticed that sound directionality seems to have changed since 1.0.x
i.e. When a shotgun is fired in front of me it sometimes sounds as though it's coming from the right.
I play with all non-essential sounds disabled and try to sound whore as much as possible. But if no changes that could have affected this were made between 1.0.4 and 1.1 then I might be imagining this difference.
Thanks given by:
Any support or help for Mac users who can't open it? 10.4.11 OS
Thanks given by:
(20 Jul 10, 05:32AM)KN!F3 Wrote: Any support or help for Mac users who can't open it? 10.4.11 OS

10.4.11? Use Leopard/Snow Leopard
Thanks given by:
About the AFK-autokick.

Actually, I did ask for such function since it happend to become a regular annoyance on 10+ servers and people even started to use 'AFK-scripts' changing the name to nickname|AFK and putting out a message telling others the player was away from keys. I wondered why they didn't simply add a [ disconnect ] command to them.

It's not the one guy being off for having a phone call for one minute. You may not even realise he'd been gone. Problems start when there are about 2 or 3 guys inactive on one team. Such games happen to be pointless and the whole game is screwed. Vote kicking doesn't work in most cases, since those 3 guys won't vote as beeing afk and still a lot of people don't know how to vote or simply ignore them.

Sure, it could be a bit smarter organised, taking menu/chat activity into account. Though, in general it's a valid function in my opinion. AssaultCube is not a long-lasting RPG where you can't avoid to leave the computer for whatever activity now and then. The longest games last 15 minutes and being away for 2 minutes... Well, you can do the calculation yourself.
Thanks given by: