[2021] Assaultcube developpement
Hello everyone

A couple of days ago I came across this forum for the first time after many years. I am very happy to see that there are still people playing the game. This is great. I want to say thank you to everyone who kept this game alive over the years.

Yes, it is correct that the first generation of developers handed over the project in an orderly fashion to the next generation.

I am ready for a temporary comeback to support the project in this current situation.

Three goals:
- AssaultCube 1.3 - Lockdown Edition
- AssaultCube Mobile [Android]
- Getting new traction in the project

Currently I am in touch with grenadier and we are working on a masterplan. We will propose a masterplan to you by end of next week.

Thank you all and have a nice weekend.

[Edit: This post was originally a reply on this thread -> https://forum.cubers.net/thread-9043-pos...#pid174370 but has been moved to its own thread later on.]
(06 Feb 21, 05:42PM)driAn Wrote: Hello everyone

A couple of days ago I came across this forum for the first time after many years. I am very happy to see that there are still people playing the game. This is great. I want to say thank you to everyone who kept this game alive over the years.

Yes, it is correct that the first generation of developers handed over the project in an orderly fashion to the next generation.

I am ready for a temporary comeback to support the project in this current situation.

Three goals:
- AssaultCube 1.3 - Lockdown Edition
- AssaultCube Mobile [Android]
- Getting new traction in the project

Currently I am in touch with grenadier and we are working on a masterplan. We will propose a masterplan to you by end of next week.

Thank you all and have a nice weekend.

This is beautiful news. If possible I'd like to donate to those who are still actively working on the game, whether that's just to keep hosting the AC website/forums or whatever else you may need it for. Let me know how :)
Thanks given by: Nemo , piotrekmpc
(07 Feb 21, 08:14PM)Jason Wrote: If possible I'd like to donate to those who are still actively working on the game, whether that's just to keep hosting the AC website/forums

at the Home/News page. One of the 'Hot Links' is "donate to this project". I believe that goes to forum/MS upkeep.
Thanks given by:
I agree with Jason. We are very happy for this announcement. You have all our support. Let us know how we can cooperate (testing/opinions/ideas money/etc).
Thanks given by: piotrekmpc
(19 May 20, 05:57PM)Mr.Floppy Wrote: ...

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see things changing direction and development kicking in again, but the kind of miracle required seems too big of a magnitude to ever become reality...

Looks like I was wrong about that miracle!

Welcome back driAn! I hope you're doing well and things are going to work out the way you envision. Looking forward to learning what those plans are about.
Thanks given by: RandomPanda , SrPER$IAN
Thanks a lot for welcoming me. Yes, I'm doing fine given the circumstances. And thanks for your offer to help. We will definitely need manpower. A lot of manpower :)

The situation seems to be as follows: The last AssaultCube release dates back to 2013. Since then a significant amount of changes have been implemented in the codebase without being released. There are a total of 1000+ code changes accrued over seven years. We are currently discussing how we could divide (and conquer) this complexity in order to publish a release that meets the quality goals. As of now two things are clear. First, this is a mission everyone in the community should join to make it happen. Second, one of the key areas of this mission will be Testing.

Please let us know how you can support us in Testing:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...sp=sharing

* In the first worksheet pick all areas where you want to help with testing
* In the second worksheet write down your contact details and your hardware specs

Share this with your friends and spread the word. We need many people to join this mission.

This is just one key area that needs resources. To be continued...
Thanks given by: zero , 1Cap , piotrekmpc , RandomPanda , EndGame
Hi all

Please find below the proposed masterplan on how to move forward:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1p2-e...sp=sharing

Three questions:
- Do you agree with this proposal / what changes do you suggest?
- What squads would you like to join? Ideally more than 1.
- Who should lead the squads? Please propose one name per squad.

Thank you for your feedback.

I will be away for the weekend and will be back on Monday evening (CET).

PS: The previously posted link regarding Testing had wrong permissions and people could not edit the file, sorry. Please try again and add your name to all areas you want to test, thank you! https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...sp=sharing
Thanks given by: RandomPanda , SrPER$IAN
Sadly, but not quite surprisingly the shared file has been taken over by some jerk already. I hope google docs has some version control in place.
Thanks given by:
I restored the previous version and set it to read-only. If anyone wants to make a modification to the file please simply post to this thread so that we can update it. Thank you.
Thanks given by:
Hi all, please find below an update regarding progress:

Q Squad:
* Members: A total of nine people signed up for Testing: Jason, Anemoi, Husk, Halo, Mr. Floppy, pio, EndGame, BrutalSystem, 1Cap. Thank you very much!
* We will let you know once there is an ALPHA version available to test.
* BrutalSystem is already pre-testing the unstable work-in-progress codebase that we currently have.

Dev Squad:
* Members: Currently Grenadier and drian.
* The source code from four different branches has been successfully merged.
* Grenadier is working on merging the fifth branch.
* Alpha version of AC Mobile submitted to Google Play Store, waiting for review.

3M Squad:
* Members: Currently Halo (and hopefully Mr. Floppy... discussion later today)
* As of now it seems that the maps will need some more work according to Halo.

Doc Squad:
* No members / no progress

Com Squad:

Proposal:
* No feedback received in this forum regarding the proposal since a week now. We consider it to be approved.
* Through other channels we received three requests: Remove Spectatemode 6, Make al_referencedistance and al_rollofffactor unconfigurable [from Armed], Fix crosshairfx 0 for assault rifle [from Jason, already fixed].

Is there anyone who wants to get some things done in Doc Squad / Com Squad?

Have a nice weekend everyone.
Thanks given by: RandomPanda
(20 Feb 21, 01:57PM)driAn Wrote: * Through other channels we received three requests: Remove Spectatemode 6

why remove spectatemode 6? It just needs to be fixed.
I see 2 ways to solve the problem.
1) it should only work on a match server, exclusive to the spectators.

2) the other solution is similar to the first, the only difference is that you need to claim admin.

spectatemode 6 is exclusively dedicated to the competitive scenario, more for those who broadcast championships.
Thanks given by: Marti
Thanks BrutalSystem for raising this.
Thanks given by:
I would like to make a comments/suggestion, if you don't mind me saying it.

Back in the day, I remember there was a map contest/poll. The best maps were added to the new version (1.2). Let me know if I'm delusional and everything I said is part of my imagination.

In any case, wouldn't it be a good idea to have a map contest to add 3 new maps to the official maps?

(21 Feb 21, 04:04AM)Brutal System Wrote:
(20 Feb 21, 01:57PM)driAn Wrote: * Through other channels we received three requests: Remove Spectatemode 6

why remove spectatemode 6? It just needs to be fixed.
I see 2 ways to solve the problem.
1) it should only work on a match server, exclusive to the spectators.

2) the other solution is similar to the first, the only difference is that you need to claim admin.

spectatemode 6 is exclusively dedicated to the competitive scenario, more for those who broadcast championships.

I completely agree with BrutalSystem. Don't remove spectatemode 6 for players who are not actively playing (spectators), please.
Thanks given by:
@map contest/poll:
Thank you for sharing this suggestion. This is a decision for 3M Squad. Halo and Floppy, could you please take a decision regarding this suggestion? Originally I shared my thoughts with Halo that it would be nice to have ~5 new maps but to be honest that should not be my decision. It would be great if you Halo and Floppy can take full ownership and take the decisions needed. Thanks!

@spectatemode6:
Roger that.
Thanks given by:
Can we at least add the updated versions for iceroad and cavern then? Make those maps at least playable
Thanks given by:
I have two more things to say, if you don't mind me saying them.

1- What about a /pause feature for inter and cms ? (in mastermode 1 or 2).

2- what about more commands to watch demos? (Slow motion, speed x2,3,4 etc)
Thanks given by:
(25 Feb 21, 06:14PM)EndGame Wrote: I have two more things to say, if you don't mind me saying them.

1- What about a /pause feature for inter and cms ? (in mastermode 1 or 2).

2- what about more commands to watch demos? (Slow motion, speed x2,3,4 etc)

Demo speed can already be increased/decreased with /gamespeed, presets can be set with binds.
But I agree, AC should come pre-installed with these controls binded to some key(s) in saved.cfg.
Thanks given by:
Hi all, please find below an update regarding progress:

Dev Squad:
* We are still working on merging the fifth branch. We will keep you posted.
* There is a beta version of ac mobile, please ask XRD (discord X-Ray_Dog
#6947) if you want to try it out.

3M Squad:
* Update follows by Halo/Floppy regarding the decision if there will be a map poll/competition.

Doc Squad:
* RandomPanda und BrutalSystem are currently investigating if it is possible from them to update the docs.

Com Squad:

Have a nice Sunday everyone.
Thanks given by: piotrekmpc , RandomPanda
Floppy and myself are looking and discussing a couple of maps to see if we can find some good ones to add. I have been asking around my clan's discord for suggestions, but I will open it up a topic on Assault Cube's forum here in a few days to get additional ideas. As far as the updates to iceroad and cavern, I will discuss this with floppy and probably ask around to see how well received these are as well. Floppy and myself have been trying to get a plan together on this and we will move forward soon.
Thanks given by:
(28 Feb 21, 07:50PM)Pi_Halo Wrote: Floppy and myself are looking and discussing a couple of maps to see if we can find some good ones to add. I have been asking around my clan's discord for suggestions, but I will open it up a topic on Assault Cube's forum here in a few days to get additional ideas. As far as the updates to iceroad and cavern, I will discuss this with floppy and probably ask around to see how well received these are as well. Floppy and myself have been trying to get a plan together on this and we will move forward soon.

I am not really aware of the current official maps, but from what I see on the public servers, the following maps should be integrated: ac_casa, ac_lainio, ac_village, ac_rapiez (I think it is called that way), ac_syria (although I hate it and that bug in the middle (or however you call it) is really annoying). Beside from that, I personally would like to see ac_wasteland (the old one), ac_riverside, ac_douze in ctf mode and a couple of apollo's famous maps. I just noticed that there is ac_stellar, but I can't remember that I have ever played it. So either promote it or drop it.
Thanks given by:
(02 Mar 21, 12:06PM)Elite Wrote:
(28 Feb 21, 07:50PM)Pi_Halo Wrote: Floppy and myself are looking and discussing a couple of maps to see if we can find some good ones to add. I have been asking around my clan's discord for suggestions, but I will open it up a topic on Assault Cube's forum here in a few days to get additional ideas. As far as the updates to iceroad and cavern, I will discuss this with floppy and probably ask around to see how well received these are as well. Floppy and myself have been trying to get a plan together on this and we will move forward soon.

I am not really aware of the current official maps, but from what I see on the public servers, the following maps should be integrated: ac_casa, ac_lainio, ac_village, ac_rapiez (I think it is called that way), ac_syria (although I hate it and that bug in the middle (or however you call it) is really annoying). Beside from that, I personally would like to see ac_wasteland (the old one), ac_riverside, ac_douze in ctf mode and a couple of apollo's famous maps. I just noticed that there is ac_stellar, but I can't remember that I have ever played it. So either promote it or drop it.
I agree with Elite's proposal to integrate these maps. However, if ac_douze gets flags again we'll need to also fix ac_desert flags.
I feel the need to point out ac_syria skybox camping spot that would need to be also fixed.
Also, isn't ac_lainio already a official map?
Thanks given by:
ac_desert had flags?

and sorry to say but syria becoming official...... those shit pillars are literally so it avoids the map restrictions...
Thanks given by: Nemo
(03 Mar 21, 12:56AM)Marti Wrote: ac_desert had flags?

and sorry to say but syria becoming official...... those shit pillars are literally so it avoids the map restrictions...

No, it never did. ac_douze did however, and that always seemed weird to me, as what is the point of an official AC map if it's lacking flags... Seems unfair douze gets in while desert gets left in the dust so to speak.
Thanks given by:
(03 Mar 21, 01:25AM)RandomPanda Wrote:

No, it never did. ac_douze did however, and that always seemed weird to me, as what is the point of an official AC map if it's lacking flags... Seems unfair douze gets in while desert gets left in the dust so to speak.

The thing is, Douze is FUN.

And I believe there was a Douze clone around with flags spots, I know I've played that before in some server. It was really messy and almost imposible to score.
Thanks given by:

There is no point to keep map restrictions at all, old retarded arguments about system reqs for the game is bs, since all these pcs wont even start, cause they all dead by time

imho best way if some1 wants to save his work on it - add message about "map quality" and yes/no to join and play, like u get about updating map from a server
Thanks given by:
(03 Mar 21, 01:25AM)RandomPanda Wrote: ... what is the point of an official AC map if it's lacking flags...

Even though CTF is kind of the main game mode today, it wasn't like that back in the days and there is no, and in my opinion shouldn't ever be a 'hard' rule all maps have to feature flags in order to support CTF mode.

When creating a map particularly for T/OSOK or FFA the layout demands are quite different from what you'd expect from a CTF map. It can work well for either mode category at the same time, but sometimes that's simply not the case. Then, why not just leave the flags out and make it obvious to everyone the map wasn't designed for CTF.

I think eventually most mappers, including me, started adding flags routinely to every map they built, regardless the game mode it was initially designed for. Simply because this raises the overall probability for the map getting played.

Therefore, adding flags to ac_desert makes no sense to me, since it most certainly wasn't built with CTF in mind and I personally can't picture it working out in that mode.

Actually, I believe it might even help the diversity in terms of game modes, at least to some extend, when not every map can be played in CTF.

Welp, ac_douze is a whole story on its own. It was built as a typical arena map for Cube. When ported to AC the obligatory flags got added, because why not, right?

In my opinion, ac_douze doesn't work in any team mode to begin with, let alone CTF. Yeah, ac_douze in CTF is this silly kind of fun, which I too welcome as a refreshing change from the core game play every now and again. Unfortunately people have a tendency to grind exclusively on the silly stuff 24/7. Hence, that map/mode combo became that much overplayed, eventually someone felt the need to pull the plug and remove the flags.

Personally, I'm not too fond of putting the flags back into the official map, because this would be the worst possible representation of what CTF in AC is about.  However, if people really want to play ac_douze in CTF, they still can do so. *cough*ac_douzectf*cough*
Thanks given by:
(03 Mar 21, 06:24PM)Mr.Floppy Wrote: Therefore, adding flags to ac_desert makes no sense to me, since it most certainly wasn't built with CTF in mind and I personally can't picture it working out in that mode.

ac_gothic would like a word with you
Thanks given by:
(03 Mar 21, 01:25AM)RandomPanda Wrote: what is the point of an official AC map if it's lacking flags....

there's other official maps without flags. like complex or toxic.. there are other official modes than CTF x)

edit: didnt see floppy's reply but he said pretty much the same thing.

also @morry: the point its its evading the map restrictions by having these shit "invisible" pillars in the middle of the map, thus it shouldnt be official. I'm all for removing map restrictions to then have a more playable syria, or other oldschool maps like rabins oasis, wintertown, oldevillage or ezjemville
Thanks given by:
(04 Mar 21, 03:02PM)Marti Wrote: I'm all for removing map restrictions
Well, im pretty sure only that guy who is coding map restrictions wants to keep it in game.

IMHO ac is dead bcuz of this, from 200+ players online 10 years ago to 20-30 now, no freedom for players, mappers and coders at all.
You have to play only modes that made by devs, maps they want u to play and... u can create only maps that they want xD And every time some1 starts to complain about, u will hear smthing like "go fuck yourself and create a fork". Changes doesnt discuss at all with community, and nothing tbh, its like notifications which looks like - we did this, fucked up this and this, removed this, enjoy and fuck ur opinion.

I never seen such attitude from software/game developers, any other game support modding, free mapping etc. Just look at teeworld, best example imho. Online about 300-1000 players, but only 10 of them playing official modes/maps, and 99% playing community mod, which is hated and not supported by dev team, but they never ban it from ms, because players will decide what to play

Its just sad bcuz i love ac
Thanks given by: 1Cap
I have some doubts, they are probably mostly addressed to dryAn.
What is your interest in changing the game again and now? Why do you think it needs to be changed? I understand fix bugs and some things, but include all the community, what is the intention?
1) Or, most importantly, where do you intend to go? Whats your target? Do you have one? 
Change maps in the installer? What that changes, everyone connects and downloads new maps anyway. If significant changes will not be made, say now, say it clearly. Please do not create new frustrations here. 
The game has "survived" all these years, hasn't it? Don't risk it please.
Look, we have old players who think the game is good, players who want to change weapon damage, want to remove binds, others want more scripts. We have clan players, they want a more competitive game, others want fun, freedom to create maps (this is a strong point of the game), they want to be able to play GEMA maps, they want to play zombie mode, etc. 

Just as important as listening to clan players is listening to pub players too. And listen to those who know  a lot about games, they are, the community of GEMA players. The arguments of this community are very robust. By doing a basic SWOT analysis it is possible to easily understand the advantages that the GEMA mode brings to the game in terms of player base and advertising. It does not make sense to pay attention to a mobile version of the game and not pay attention to introducing the GEMA mode as the "official" mode of the game.

So, do you really want to listen to everyone or create a smokescreen while executing what you've already decided to do?

I'm not trying to be rude, but the latest implementations and decisions made in the game have been disastrous. That everyone agrees. So from my point of view, what you want to do is a huge risk for the game. This is because you are not being clear. You adriAn just arrived unexpectedly proposing changes. And as I said, the latest changes have been terrible.
Thanks given by: vector