Need VPS Help!
I have a 512mb CentOS 6.4 64 bit VPS and PuTTy! I have no VPS experience and need to host a couple servers! Please give me a step by step walkthrough on how to host multiple servers or just one! Please hurry!

Is this supposed to be in help section? If so please move it for me!
Thanks given by:
Can you please tell me your VPS ip and root password. Ty
Thanks given by:
(30 Jan 14, 04:51AM)Casius Wrote: Can you please tell me your VPS ip and root password. Ty

Why would you need that?
Thanks given by:
You need more RAM.
Thanks given by:
(30 Jan 14, 05:12AM)TheNihilanth Wrote: You need more RAM.

How much then? I've been told that I only need around 50 mb a server...
Thanks given by:
(30 Jan 14, 05:12AM)TheNihilanth Wrote: You need more RAM.

I heard that actually used to work back in the day for either Windows or Mac. What it did was it implemented virtual memory correctly so you weren't just limited to physical memory. Of course, nowadays all decent operating systems have that implemented correctly so.........................
Thanks given by:
Can Someone just give me a tutorial?
Thanks given by:
Aw, that reply made me realize...
Anyways, 512mb is ok for a coupe of ac servers. I don't know how set up a server on a vps but I have some friends that know how to so I'll ask them to reply here. Hang in there buddy the help is coming ;)
Thanks given by:
cd
wget http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project...irror=iweb
tar -jxvf *tar.bz2
cd Ass*
http://wiki.cubers.net/action/view/Server_setup
Thanks given by:
(30 Jan 14, 05:23AM)TheNihilanth Wrote: Aw, that reply made me realize...
Anyways, 512mb is ok for a coupe of ac servers. I don't know how set up a server on a vps but I have some friends that know how to so I'll ask them to reply here. Hang in there buddy the help is coming ;)

THANK YOU! all I wanted was to host 1-3 servers!

(30 Jan 14, 05:24AM)Mousikos Wrote: cd
wget http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project...irror=iweb
tar -jxvf *tar.bz2
cd Ass*
http://wiki.cubers.net/action/view/Server_setup

Type that in PuTTy ?

I also want to be able to customize my server before running so I need a tut for that also..
Thanks given by:
If you want a simple AC server, make me an account on your VPS and I'll do it for you. Please, PLEASE don't be an idiot and run everything from root. kthx. Tutorials are hard. Doing is slightly easier at times.
Thanks given by:
(30 Jan 14, 05:44AM)Mousikos Wrote: If you want a simple AC server, make me an account on your VPS and I'll do it for you. Please, PLEASE don't be an idiot and run everything from root. kthx. Tutorials are hard. Doing is slightly easier at times.

How do I make you an account on my VPS? Like I said I'm new to VPS
Thanks given by:
either useradd or adduser. There's a bit more involved, but ya know.. Google
Thanks given by:
(30 Jan 14, 05:51AM)Mousikos Wrote: either useradd or adduser. There's a bit more involved, but ya know.. Google

Can't exactly does this now but I can tommorrow! My laptop is not with me as I am on the forums off of my iPhone so. Can you just post a quick tut now or we can do it later?

As I would much rather you benefit a lot of people instead of just me
Thanks given by:
Later. I have two homeworks and a pre-lab to finish and I have to get up in 6 hours for lab. I'm just taking a 5 minute break. If you want, we can do what DES|twist did and I can Teamviwer into your computer and show you personally, as well as make that initial account.
Thanks given by:
(30 Jan 14, 05:56AM)Mousikos Wrote: Later. I have two homeworks and a pre-lab to finish and I have to get up in 6 hours for lab. I'm just taking a 5 minute break. If you want, we can do what DES|twist did and I can Teamviwer into your computer and show you personally, as well as make that initial account.

Sure! Can you skype me? So I can tell you when?

Add me on skype*
Thanks given by:
If you know nothing about VPS/linux, I suggest you learn that first. My comment was a joke; I thought you'd fall for it :p
Thanks given by:
(30 Jan 14, 06:23AM)Casius Wrote: If you know nothing about VPS/linux, I suggest you learn that first. My comment was a joke; I thought you'd fall for it :p

Well, at least you didn't say

1) sudo rm -rf /
Thanks given by:
(30 Jan 14, 06:47AM)Mousikos Wrote: 1) sudo rm -rf /

Just so you know, Exodus, never ever type this command.
Thanks given by:
Look kid, RTFD. It's not hard, and if you don't know what you are doing, then you shouldn't have a server.

We are not your god damn servants.

1)Grow a brain
2)RTFD
3)RTFD 'cos I bet you thought it was too hard to do step 2
4)Use the search function dickhead
5)If all else fails, you're an idiot, go outside and climb a tree
Thanks given by:
PMS?
Thanks given by:
(30 Jan 14, 05:34PM)DrauL Wrote: Look kid, RTFD. It's not hard, and if you don't know what you are doing, then you shouldn't have a server.

We are not your god damn servants.

1)Grow a brain
2)RTFD
3)RTFD 'cos I bet you thought it was too hard to do step 2
4)Use the search function dickhead
5)If all else fails, you're an idiot, go outside and climb a tree

Real helpful, he just wants some help and you lash out on him for trying to learn? Pretty harsh..
Thanks given by:
I sent you a PM of how to setup AC servers, and 512MB of ram is perfect for AC servers. I have like 10 servers on a 256MB ram VPS and they run just fine.
Thanks given by:
(30 Jan 14, 03:49PM)PhaNtom Wrote:
(30 Jan 14, 06:47AM)Mousikos Wrote: 1) sudo rm -rf /

Just so you know, Exodus, never ever type this command.
Not saying it's a good idea now, but recently some distros have been guarding against that so if you /really/ want a harmful command you have to

sudo rm -rf --no-preserve-root /

I don't really know why they are building stupid-tests into linux.
Thanks given by:
Maybe this will help you, and get back to the topic with which you had originally posed....
http://forum.cubers.net/thread-7467.html
Thanks given by:
Draul, although your intentions are good, the way you present yourself comes across that of a dickhead.

QG|Exodus, I've run servers for quite some time and have set them up a lot of times, over and perfected a set-up. Here's a real tutorial for any noob:

1) Research if actually running your own server is of any real benefit to you. Why are you doing it, opportunity cost, etc.
2) Research your VPS provider thoroughly. If you're paying next-to-nothing for a VPS, you'll get what you paid for (i.e. next to nothing). Check your VPS provider gives good service, has a history of uptime, isn't an overnight operation, etc. Check that pings are suitable and PJ is OK.
3) After purchasing your VPS, do the following:
* Google "common linux terminal commands" and learn a few of them.
* Google "how to access SSH with putty"
* Google "how to secure/harden ssh"
* Google "how to secure/harden linux"
* Google "how to block ports with iptables" and then, block all unused ports.
* Google "how to use apt-get update"
* Google "analyzing linux log files"
4) Once you've done lots and lots of research and you're confident your VPS is secure and you're happy that you know enough terminal stuff to do things, then you can haz AC.
5) Extract AC somewhere, go modify the cfg files to your liking.
6) Install "screen"
7) Learn how screen works. HINT: If you want to learn how any linux command works, type "man screen" (or whatever the command is). Use 'q' to quit 'man'.
8) Use this: screen -d -m -S SCREENNAME bin_unix/linux_64_server -c8 -etc -etc -etc (put whatever command line options you want there).
Thanks given by:
Still need help?
Thanks given by:
Exodus did ask for a server from us, so we set that up for him.
However he still might want help if he wants to host his own from his VPS, I will send him a PM.
Thanks given by:
(01 Feb 14, 11:49AM)RandumKiwi Wrote: Draul, although your intentions are good, the way you present yourself comes across that of a dickhead.

I shall take that as a compliment.
Also when haven't I done that.
Thanks given by: