Some news from the development team !
It's been a few months since the last time you were really given information about what we had done, what we were doing, and what we were planning to do.

Here is a short post to keep you informed !

Media (mapmodels, textures, autodownloader)

A lot of media, and more custom content will improve a lot the overall maps quality. Also, more variety is always better ; we do believe that offering people the ability to play custom maps is a good way to keep this game interesting.
A lot of people try AC - they are not enough to stay. By allowing more creativity (provided it fits with the engine capabilities), we're making AC even more exciting to most players.

Things that were done
  • A few mapmodels were added by Cleaner; thanks to the recent repackaging, we could find a few free mega bytes for new content !
  • The auto downloader was fixed a bit. A "sortpckservers" command was added; it will later be automatic and will guess the best server to download content from;
  • Akimbo was updated a lot. It's fully compatible with the new autodownload system. It is still undergoing some improvements right now.
    You can now check the textures and skymaps previews, search through files for a specific mapmodel/texture, etc.

Things that are planned
  • The autodownload system seems to be working nice. If it performs good enough, it may be extended to mods. You would be able to download mods such as new weapon models, fonts, misc textures, etc. from the game itself. Before implementing it in AC, akimbo will be reworked so as to be compatible with this possible feature.
  • We're seeking for more akimbo servers (mirrors). Currently, we have one in france and one in the USA. We're working on setting up another server in Germany, thanks to gear4.
  • Dynamyic auto generated mapmodels previews (and also statistics like vertices count and such ??)

Mapping / engine

As explained above, improving maps quality is something really important, and the graphics are a major criteria for many people.
There are different ways to have better maps created, like :
- make the mapper job easier and less time consuming, so that they have more time to focus on the gameplay and the aesthetics rather than technical things
- bring more content and possibilities !

What has been done
  • A "mapeditor" branch was created. The changes to the map editor system and the engine will be brought to this branch. It may be merged later once stable enough
  • A selectable entities system was included. See http://ac-akimbo.net/showthread.php?tid=840 for more details and a video.

What is planned
  • Dynamic mapmodels and textures menus with previews containing the list of loaded mapmodels while editing.
  • Textured clips, would be somewhat integrated to the cubes rendering system, so as to make them more handy than platforms (custom dipmensions like clips) and also less expensive ?

Gameplay

I guess you're thinking it's the most important. Well yes it is. But it entirely depends on the other aspects of the game. Since everything should be ready now for the next release, apart a few technicals issues that i'm going to detail later, not much was done to the trunk. Still :

What has been done
  • SMG recoil reduced to make it actually playable, as requested by many members of the community
  • A new gamemode was created, it's currently called "regen capture" because it's pretty similar to sauer's regen capture. However, its name may change, since it was ctually created after considering some suggestions in the proving grounds. We don't know when it will be merged because of the lack of testing

What's planned
  • VonDrakula had made drop gun system and created a branch for testing purposes. We may be going to include it in a dedicated new gamemode.
  • We're studying new "bases based" gamemodes, a abit like the regen capture mode.
  • Because in was mentioned recently in the "ideas" thread, and that some of you seemed to be unaware of that project: we're working on singleplayer campaigns. A few new cubescript features to control bots would make it possible to "script" these campaigns. Anyone would then be able to make his own w/o changing the binaries.
    I guess we would provide a few campaigns with the official package.

Linux bug

Thanks to SKB we could make some tests and we got some precious information about the bug. On my side, imay be able to get AC to run on a linux machine @home, and will be able to perform some tests.
I have something in mind to "fix" that issue; i will test within a few days (i hope).
If it works, i guess the release would come fast.

However, the following bugs were "found" recently but need to be confirmed :
- voting mastermode match makes duplicate player entries appear (as DISC).
- teams shuffled when a map is voted ??! (need to be checked again)

We need testers to know more about that.
Please, organize inters/matches on the SVN. You will get used to the new balance, and also give us precious feedbacks.

Because we all want the next version to be released ASAP, we're trying as much as possible to make the wait less boring. Therefore, the dev team tried to commit itself to helping with ACWC's organization as much as we could.
Thanks given by:
Cool! Thanks for the update!
Thanks given by:
(04 Aug 13, 11:38PM)RabidViper Wrote: VonDrakula had made drop gun system and created a branch for testing purposes. We may be going to include it in a dedicated new gamemode.

do you mean we will be able to pick up other player's guns?

im so glad that regen will be added! thank you for the update too. i think the community needed it. keep going!!
Thanks given by:
What is the status on bots in multiplayer modes? Just wondering, I remember VonDrakula had a few nice ideas about this.
Thanks given by:
(05 Aug 13, 05:00AM)MerCyKiL Wrote:
(04 Aug 13, 11:38PM)RabidViper Wrote: VonDrakula had made drop gun system and created a branch for testing purposes. We may be going to include it in a dedicated new gamemode.

do you mean we will be able to pick up other player's guns?
yep :3
Thanks given by:
god fucking yes
Thanks given by:
(05 Aug 13, 05:03AM)Oracle Wrote: What is the status on bots in multiplayer modes? Just wondering, I remember VonDrakula had a few nice ideas about this.

Honestly he is the man for the job but unfortunately I don't think anyone has seen him for a while.
Thanks given by:
VonHelsing must have got to him.
Thanks given by:
It's pretty obvious who wrote this btw.
Thanks given by:
inb4 Lucas
Thanks given by:
Quote:...everything should be ready now for the next release..
Quote:we're working on singleplayer campaigns..

VOMITS RAINBOWS
Thanks given by:
i would try to remove all custom and default media from the game and put it to the donwloader. ¨by the map engine you would configure cgz for layout and cfg would contain relative paths (or GUID of item). Items would be cached in temp folder. Managing all custom material would be easer.

In this game are mapping kids, remove the restrictions and sub it with index of quality and this index add as parameter command for server. MS server will sort out all servers with low quality.
Thanks given by:
Can someone explain the regen capture game mode.
Thanks given by:
(06 Aug 13, 07:14AM)bballn45 Wrote: Can someone explain the regen capture game mode.
In Sauer it works like this: capture as many bases as possible and each of them regenerates your ammo and eventually your armour when you're close to it.
Thanks given by:
And I think (in the AC version at least) the more people there are in the base, the faster you catch them? Somebody (Luc@s) can correct me if I'm wrong.
Thanks given by:
(06 Aug 13, 02:32PM)Oracle Wrote: And I think (in the AC version at least) the more people there are in the base, the faster you catch them? Somebody (Luc@s) can correct me if I'm wrong.

Yep. Everything is explained here : http://forum.cubers.net/thread-6880.html
Thanks given by:
Nice to hear more news about the realease! Instead of regen capture, I recommend using the name Domination?
Thanks given by:
meh. thats like directly out of CoD. i would keep it "regen capture" to promote its relation to cube engine games and to not infringe on any copyrights
Thanks given by:
Base Domination? Lol

Or Battle of Bases ^^
Thanks given by:
CTB: Capture The Base
Thanks given by:
Control points has always been my preferred name for the mode. Your objective is to gain (and keep) control of various points on the map. Regen doesn't belong in the name IMHO, its really only a minor aspect of the mode's gameplay.
Thanks given by:
Point Capture, Base Command, Territories, Dominion (lol)

Append:Just checked out latest SVN; hope we get to improve some textures for new mapmodels before release.
Thanks given by:
(07 Aug 13, 01:08AM)Bukz Wrote: Control points has always been my preferred name for the mode.
So, CTP: Control The Points?

We have also; Control The Bases and Capture The Points...
...We can add Regen as: RCTB / RCTP like 4 letters modes (TKTF, TOSOK, BOSOK).

The real question it's, Bots are able to play this new mode in future?
Thanks given by:
CTB? Simple yet in pure AC style!
Thanks given by:
Base Control?
Thanks given by:
Whatever acronym you fancy can be discussed there http://forum.cubers.net/thread-6880.html

Leave this thread to it's purpose, thanks.
Thanks given by:
This all sounds absolutely wonderful. Hats off!
Thanks given by: