"Regen capture" into AC [unofficial WIP]
I've heard a few times some requests to implement something similar, or a base system into AC, so i started to work on something like that 2 or 3 days ago.
(I had made a "base keeping" gamemode long time ago, but it was totally different).

How does it work ?

It's a teammode. At the beginning of a game, you spawn in your usual base (RVSF or CLA). Different "control points" are placed around the map. Typically, one in each base, plus 1, 2 (maybe 3 ?) other bases around the map.

You have to capture as many bases as possible, and for each base, you score every time you keep it captured for 15 seconds.

Your enemies can claim your bases if they stay long enough in numeric superiority around them.

Staying around one of your base will "regenerate you" (giving you some health and armour, 10 of both each 2 seconds).

Once you have captured 1 base or more, your spawn near your control points.

A few screenshots :

Capturing a base
It takes some time to capture a base, ~6-7 seconds. The more you are in the base, the faster it is !
It's twice as longer to capture a base already taken by the enemy.

[Image: capturing.jpg]

Base captured !
Got 70 of armor by staying near the flag

[Image: captured.jpg]

Current bases state

You can see to whom the bases belong at any moment on the minimap/radar

[Image: minimap.jpg]

Editmode
You can place a control point anywhere in the map, although is it recommended to place them in fair spots and at least 1 in each base.

[Image: editmode.jpg]

How to test it ?

1) Download the latest SVN version
2) Download : http://88.190.35.204/mods/regen/regen_beta.zip
3) Extract it in your SVN local copy. On windows, the binaries are already available.
On linux, you would have to compile.
4) You need to test it on a server. Mine should be available at any moment of the day.
/connect ac-akimbo.net
5) Vote a map in regen capture. Just do /regen the_map. The map must have control points.
Most official maps are available. So you'd just have to do /regen ac_depot for example.

=> This gamemode requires at least 4 players to be fun.

Credits

i did the coding myself from scratch, but the sounds come from sauer.
cleaner is working on a base-mapmodel ATM.
Thanks all testers for their great help, including youngstud, phantom, aekom, bukz, etc.

Please, if you have any suggestion... it is welcome.
Thanks given by:
Thanks so much for implementing this dude, much appreciated.

Hope we can get some more testers to help get this into 1.2! :D
Thanks given by:
Ah, Xemi was talking to me about this while he tested it, i believe he really likes it :D

Gg
Thanks given by:
This looks amazing, whoever says devs do nothing can eat shit. Really looking forward to try it :D
Thanks given by:
This sounds really cool, great job.
Thanks given by:
(25 Jun 13, 09:25PM)Luc@s Wrote: you score every time you keep it captured for 15 seconds.

The only thing that worries me about this is that keeping a base for 15 seconds on a crowded pub server will likely be quite difficult.

Maybe have the score times scale based on the current # of players. But as always Luc@s, great work. :)
Thanks given by:
Model is ready, only a few bits and pieces to sort and it will be added.

[Image: wyskoel.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Finally, now we need more testers to simulate it on public server (8v8 minimum or 10v10...).
I would like to test this mod with many others players of course!
Thanks given by:
Is the model clipped ? :P
Thanks given by:
(25 Jun 13, 10:24PM)Krayce Wrote: Finally, now we need more testers to simulate it on public server (8v8 minimum or 10v10...).
I would like to test this mod with many others players of course!

There are only 2 "real" servers offering 8svs8 or more atm (and this since years), so I think 12 players is far enough for a public simulation.
Thanks given by:
Keep in mind, in AC 1.2 the maxclients is set to 16 instead of 20. 8v8 is the max.
Thanks given by:
Ok Bukz thx, it's better so!
By the way, this regen mod it's like the idea of Habbluka said on june 2010...
(15 Jul 10, 05:24PM)iOD|Habluka Wrote: I would like to be able to make maps that have multiple flags per team so each team would have to defend two locations and can steal from two locations.
...with the regeneration in more.
Thanks given by:
I tested it last time and it really is fun to play. It drasticly changes from the usual CTF gameplay as in regen you're always in movement and fragging.
It was a nice idea to try it in AC and I believe it will be sucessful, once again good job Lucas ! ;-)
Thanks given by:
Looks great and good idea. Keep up the good work :)
Thanks given by:
+10
Thanks given by:
you guys are so smart and creative! :-D gj!
Thanks given by:
looks really good, i hope good maps will be designed for this!
Thanks given by:
I tried testing it out with Foxy-Grim (who for some reason was having trouble with it) this evening.

I tried voting /regen ac_depot on your server, Luc@s, and got this error:

"Could not vote: the next map/mode is already set"

However, when I tried another vote /tdm ac_douze, it worked.

Any idea why this happened?
Thanks given by:
ingenuity at its finest. OUTSTANDING :) p ,and all the other positive emoticons to go with it :)
Thanks given by:
will this be in the next version i hope?
Thanks given by:
YAY DOMINATION
Thanks given by:
(26 Jun 13, 04:28AM)MerCyKiL Wrote: will this be in the next version i hope?

Possibly, that's why it's important to get many testers for this, to see what needs fixing.
Thanks given by:
sweetness. this is pretty much the only thing that sauerbraten has that i wish ac had :D
Thanks given by:
One request, please make sure you put the flag points on map at the spots where it's fair for both RVSF and CLA teams.

Thank you :)
Thanks given by:
(26 Jun 13, 04:42AM)DrauL Wrote: YAY CONQUEST DOMINATION

Fixed. :D
Thanks given by:
(25 Jun 13, 10:28PM)PhaNtom Wrote: Is the model clipped ? :P
That's one of the things that need refine, this is the basic model but it may still vary in size or shape accordingly.
Thanks given by:
Thank you for your support, everyone!

@Bukz: well at least you should be able to protect your main bases (remember that spawns were rearranged) but the central control points will be disputed a lot, indeed.

(26 Jun 13, 03:26AM)ShadowFlameZ Wrote: I tried testing it out with Foxy-Grim (who for some reason was having trouble with it) this evening.

I tried voting /regen ac_depot on your server, Luc@s, and got this error:

"Could not vote: the next map/mode is already set"

However, when I tried another vote /tdm ac_douze, it worked.

Any idea why this happened?
Please, make sure you're using the latest version of the mod.
Here is the latest download link : http://88.190.35.204/mods/regen/regen_beta.zip
Then, i'm sorry, but i forgot to update the latest version of a CFG file in the patch zip.
So everything will work if you do /mode 22 and then vote for a map.
I'll update the patch this evening (i can't right now) but you can still play anyway ;)
Thanks given by:
Link don't work '404'
Thanks given by:
(26 Jun 13, 10:01AM)Cleaner Wrote: Link don't work '404'

sorry, was because of the period ending my sentenced, which was inserted in the URL by MyBB.
Link fixed.
Anyway this link was already available in the first post.
Thanks given by:
Wow, looks something totally new for AC. Great job, Lucas!
Thanks given by: