Current development status
Hello,

So regarding recent threads made on the forums about the development process, and some threads underlined the lack of communication. Well, this point is half-true. Indeed, we do not post very often on the forums about the recent changes. However, everyone can get the SVN, we make it so everyone can use it (binaries are compiled for you) and a changelog was even added.

So first, here is the list of changes made. It is based on the changelog with a few explanations;

Changes made from 1.1.0.4 to the trunk

Weapons

[*] Sniper spread reduced (60 to 50)
[*] Sniper damage set to 82
[*] Sniper ignores some armor
[*] Pistol spread reduced
[*] Pistol magsize enlarged (8 to 10)
These 5 changes are supposed to make the sniper a more competitive weapon, as it used to be in the past (especially 1.0.4 actually).
The amount of bullets needed against very-armored player was ridiculously high.
Now it will be more similar to AC 1.0.4 :
100/0 : 1 sniper shot + 1 pistol shot
100/25 : 1 sniper shot + 2 pistol shots
100/50 : 1 sniper shot + 3 pistol shots
100/75 : 1 sniper shot + 3 pistol shots
100/100 : 1 sniper shot + 4 pistol shots

This changed was brought because it was asked by many members of the community and we believed it was the right way to do it.

[*] SMG damage increased (15 to 16)
[*] SMG initial spread reduced
[*] SMG recoil increased
SMG was too weak in 1104, in comparison to other weapons. It was the least used weapon after carbine.
Its damage was increased a bit to make it stronger against armored players.
The recoil was increased though, making it weaker at long range than other weapons. Also, it couldn't be much stronger because the hitreg bug (which mainly affects automatic guns) is now fixed.

[*] AR damage reduced (24 to 22)
[*] AR kickback reduced (40 to 30)
[*] AR spread reduced
[*] AR recoil increased
The assault rifle was way too strong. Because of its impressive kickback (2.67 times as much as the SMG) and newly big magsize, and also its high damage which made it strong against armored players, it had to be weakened.
It's obviously still an interesting weapon to play, and should beats SMG at long range.

[*] New shotgun behavior :  3 types of rays (center, medium, outter) with different properties.
The way shotgun worked before was too simplistic and we couldn't tweak its parameters slightly. The new way it works allows finer settings.

[*] Knife fully ignores armor
The high amount of armor on the maps made the knife weaker.
Also, maybe it's more realistic like this.

[*] Carbine ignores some armor
Carbine was too weak (almost not used at all).

[*] Quicknadethrow now switches to nade even if the player was attacking.
More logical and intuitive

[*] Grenades accuracy, real shotgun accuracy.
Will made the approximative damage calculation scripts useless for grenades.
Also, the shotgun accuracy felt a bit weird because it could be 100 % even though only one ray hit each time. Now it's based on the "ratio rays that hit / rays fired "

[*] Hudgun can be displayed when spectating (and in demos - e.g. /specthudgun 1).
The question is not: "why was this implemented ?" But "why wasn't this implemented sooner ?" ;)
There were various reasons to do that, which do not only concern aesthetics. For example, it's hard to record a video of a game on some slow computers while playing. So sometimes you have to record a demo. It's way better if the video looks like it was recorded in-game.

[*] Burst fire settings
This was available as a script but not to everyone. It's now hardcoded and everyone can use it. It can help to shot by bursts (to reduce spread, for example).
It's a kind of "guide".

Gameplay

[*] Votable timelimit
Sometimes you just want to vote a game for a few minutes only (e.g. in a clan match, to vote a map for 10 minutes and swap bases at intermission).
Anyway i don't see what criticisms could be done about that change.

[*] New gamemodes Team Last Swiss Standing / Team Pistol Frenzy
Was suggested by someone, i don't remember who.
It doesn't require much work (it's quite easy to add new modes to this game provided that they're similar to the existing ones, for example insta ctf could be added easily);

[*] HTF now forces those who have the best health to pickup the flag instead of allocating it randomly
This is actually more like a bug fix, as it seemed to be the way it was supposed to work.
It was fixed after someone reported that issue on IRC (iirc).

Chat

[*] New Private messages feature (/pm cn message) default bind is N
This one was suggested a few times on the forums. I can see multiple use (e.g. asking someone if he thinks another player is cheating, or talking to someone in particular w/o annoying the whole server).

Servers

[*] Sets kill messages to appear in log for each weapon from a config file. (Default: serverkillmessages.cfg)
It was implemented after the discussion we had on this thread : http://forum.cubers.net/thread-1218.html

[*] New switch to disable game status table of scores logging. (-l switch)
Reduces server logs size; even ladder servers could turn this switch off.
I don't remember who suggested this. Maybe i decided to implement it myself.

[*] Linux server available HDD space bug fixed.
[*] /setnext bug fixed.
Fixed bug with map names containing slashes
Bug fixes don't need explanations or justifications i think.

[*] The carbine is now consistently called such. (not "Rifle")
This change was supposed to fix an ambiguity issue in the code;

[*] The server now differentiates between CTF/HTF scored flags in the serverlogs. (Useful for parsing/stats[ collection.)
This is a very little change, and it can be useful in some circumstances. Why shouldn't it have been done ?

[*] Server can restricts voting from a mode for any map
Makes it way easier to configure a server supposed to run specific gamemodes only. I think i did it after Brett told me he had to disable each mode map by map manually.

[*] Prevent name/skin changing spam
Asked several times on the forums. It was very annoying and had to fixed.
[*] Prevent clients from downloading the same demo twice
Some servers (especially those who are home hosted) can get laggy if one (or several) user(s) spam-download a demo.
This issue is now fixed.

[*] Server side spawn delay check
As suggested on the forums by various members, something had to be done so as to prevent players from evading the spawn delay by reconnecting to the server.
This change also fixes a possible hack.

Server browser

[*] Colored ping in serverbrowser.
It might dissuade a player to join a server where his ping will be too high.
It was certainly not a waste of time to implement this since it took longer to do the commit than it took to code it.

[*] Ability to connect to a server that requires a password via the server browser. (password protected, deban, etc.)
Asked several times on the forums.
It's more user friendly.

Media (maps/textures/models)

[*] Ability to download maps, textures, mapmodels on the fly when they're missing
This is a major new feature. It will allow more creativity and high quality maps with custom contents to be actually played.
We need as much feedback as possible about this feature.

[*] New map "ac_edifice"
[*] New map "ac_industrial"
[*] New map "ac_stellar"
[*] New map "ac_lainio"
Added after internal discussions. These maps were considered good enough to be official.
If you don't like them, don't play them. Adding them to the package was only a matter of a few more or less kilobytes.

[*] New map "ac_avenue"
[*] New map "ac_cavern"
[*] New map "ac_swamp"
[*] New map "ac_terros"
[*] New map "ac_venison"
[*] New map "ac_wasteland"
These maps were added because the community asked for it.
A public poll was done, and everybody was free to register his map(s).
http://forum.cubers.net/thread-6200.html[/b]

[*] md2 models converted to md3
The reasons are given here : http://forum.cubers.net/thread-4444.html
md3 is a richer, more "recent" format which produces smaller files.

[*] Many new mapmodels and textures
I don't have the list here, i wish i had it. Having more mapmodels and textures in the official packages is a plus.

[*] Packaging reworked
The package structure had to be cleaned. A few redundant files were deleted (such as skins/textures used by several mapmodels).
The gain of file size allowed new packages to be added (hence the previous update ^)

Mapping

[*] Key "F7" is now key bound to toggle fullbright on/off.
Very minor change (didn't take much time) and useful yet.

[*] Key "7" is now key bound to "nextclosestent" - it gets typo'd all the time.
same

[*] entproperty now works in MP coop, but buffered.
everything that makes the coop mode closer to the offline editmode is a good thing.

[*] Textures can now have a non-default scale, definable through the texture command.
This change is a preliminary change introducing hi-res textures.

[*] Multiple selections support
It was suggested on the forums. It can make tedious and repetitive tasks faster to achieve. I discovered a few weeks ago that it was even in the TODO list of the first creators of the Cube engine actually.

[*] Configurable wave height
I can't tell why it was introduced. If someone knows...
But anyway, it isn't harmful.

[*] newmap crash fix
/newmap 11 (or higher size) used to crash the game on some machines. It's now fixed.

Rendering / HUD / ...

[*] Now using ANIM_REVERSE for playermodels going backward
There was not very much to do iirc (not trying to minimize anything ;)) so it was done.

[*] Fixed flag icon transparency.
[*] Nearplane fix.
Should i justify bug fixes ?

[*] screenshotscale - in-engine scaling of screenshots.
Making the process of saving, uploading and sharing screenshots clearly makes the game more user friendly..

[*] showtargetname - turns on/off showing the player name on the HUD when in your crosshair.
It was suggested on the forums. I think the reason given was that sometimes it was a pain to have it displayed while recording a video.

[*] Scoreboard doesn't show ping/score/pj in singleplayer
"Score" is calculated by the server and unavailable in SP.
pj and ping had no reasons to be printed in single player either.

[*] Customizable scoreboard, ability to display ratio
This was asked several times and despite many dev's concerns about re adding the ratio (including myself), it was finally implemented.
One of the reasons (i think) was that some players use modded clients just because they displayed the ratio and we'd like as many people as possible to use the official binaries. (indeed, it means they are happy with the default binaries and many don't trust those who use modded clients - and they are right!).

[*] Scoreboard shows the winner of each game.
It was asked in the proving grounds i think, and RR did it.
If there is a flag equality in flag modes, the game is considered as a tie.
If there is a frag equality in frag modes, the game is considered as a tie.
There was a debate on the forums about what should be looked at in case of a frag-flag equality to determine the winner.
This feature answers this question, and i strongly recommend competitive players to follow this "rule".

[*] showspeed - turns speed indicator on/off
A guide for newcomers. It shows that strafe running is faster.

[*] Improved tab completion.
I can't tell what it is, sorry.

Physics

[*] New "flyspeed" variable for determining how much to multiply your fly speeds by. (Range: 1.0...5.0)
Very useful in editmode (changing gamespeed was definitely an awful way to move faster)

[*] Jump/Crouch raises or lowers the camera in editmode, release to stop.
Some believe that minecraft creative mode commands are more intuitive i guess.

Demos / Spectating

[*] Drop camera to previous followed player position when switching to fly specmode.
It's kinda a bug fix. It was reported on the forums.

[*] Fix broken demo-viewer not able to change to SPECTATOR
Bug fix....

[*] Servers now choose a unique file name for the temporary demo file ("demorecord_<IP/local>_<port>")
Fixes a bug. (demos sometimes got corrupted because of this issue iirc).

[*] Hitsound while spectating
Sounds better like that ! And i think it was supposed to be like that actually.

[*] Experimental compatibility mode for 1.1.0.4 demos
The problem came with the old tutorial. It wasn't compatible with the new version. We had different options :
#1 record a new tutorial
#2 "patch" the tutorial
#3 make the demo viewer able to read old demos

We opted for #3. But it's still experimental and maybe we should consider implementing a demo patcher instead (as an online service for example) or somethind different because we won't be able to keep the demo viewer compatible with any old demo in the future the same way it's currently done.

Sounds / Audio
[*] Optional heartbeat sound when health reaches a certain level.
Asked on the forums.

[*] New KTF score sound.
Should have been done a while ago.
Though, nobody ever suggested a specific sound iirc.......

Menus

[*] New menuitems in the Keyboard menu, for looking up keybinds, and enabling/disabling the old editing binds system.
Newcomers don't know about cubescript and as many options as possible has to be settable through the menus.

[*] New menuitems in the gameplay settings menu, for setting fly velocities, and the color that your name is highlighted in, when it appears on the console via chat. (HIGHLIGHT)
Same as above....

Bots

[*] New scripted "bot survival mode".
Interesting new bot mode where you have to stay and protect a zone as long as possible.

[*] Bots in plclips bug fixed.
[*] Bots now actually fire the carbine.
[*] Bots can switch to, and use pistol, knife or grenades.
[*] Bots can crouch
[*] Bots have different fov, depending on their difficulty.
[*] Bot PF, LSS, Team Survivor & TOSOK modes.

1.1 Bots felt broken. It's now way funnier to play against them. They are still a bit dumb ofc but, well, try yourself !

CubeScript

Well, the cubescript changelog is quite long, and i'm not going to detail everything myself.
Although, here is the main idea :

Cubescript should allow everyone to custom their client as much as possible so as not to require modifications to the code.
Yet, it should remain as simple as possible an minimize its impact on the gameplay.
That's what we are trying to deal with. I think we're doing it right actually.
Some people criticized a few new commands, such as onHit. (which represent 0.1 % of cubescript changes) and we listened to their opinion. We also listened to those who agreed with the changes;
Don't believe that we haven't thought about it. There were internal discussions (a while before the proving grounds were set up).
We came to the conclusion that it was worth implemented these changes.
To those would criticize these changes : Are you criticizing the use of modified clients with so much spite ?

What has to be done before releasing 1200 ?

We're now sticking to bug fixes.
Here is a list of bugs that have to be fixed (some of them might already be fixed)
We also need more testing (i mean, we mean testing, because we nearly don't have any).

I'd like a "Beta 2" version to be released, even though the first Beta was almost not played, i hope this one will be more successful and brings more feedbacks.

Why does it take so long ?

After 1.1, a few members of the dev team left or became inactive for different reasons. The team had to be renewed and that's how many of us became devs (Bukz, me, tempest, etc.).
It took a few months :
Actually, we couldn't seriously tackle to everything we wanted at first. We were new and we looked for the "older" devs approval for most changes, because they are more experienced of course. But some of them had left and wouldn't reply to our messages. (I'm not blaming them).

Then, we started to work on the main issues : weapon balance, package downloader, and recently the anticheat.
From this point the main limiting factor was the lack of support, in any kind. Maybe we're too few. But actually, it's very hard to get testers. And testing takes time. It's a necessary step for weapon balance and ACAC;
And once you've asked Brett, or the other devs, sometimes SKB, you won't find anyone else.
We can't release something that is not tested enough. Most criticisms or feedbacks we get are about AC 1.1.

And things gets "worse and worse" : the longer we wait, the more features we add. 1200 will have taken years to come, so it's expected to be a major version, and we should provide something accordingly.
Finally, we put off the release so many times that we felt like the release date didn't matter anymore. What matters is now exclusively the quality of next release.

I'm not ignoring the fact many members of the community offered their help so as to implement new features recently. Thanks Felix the ghost, thanks the others.
Unfortunately, i think the main concern at the moment is not the lack of new features (check the changelog again, and keep in mind it's not exhaustive !).
The main concern is the few bugs remaining and the lack of testing.

Regarding violent criticisms and moderation

Moderation has always been criticized. As long as it was done in a constructive manner, it was a good thing. The same goes for the dev team.
But we cannot tolerate insults, agressive posts, or everything that is the proof of an obvious ignorance of the development status and process.
Those who can't express their opinion w/o hurting the others are not welcome here.
Inconsistent criticisms are not welcome either.
(e.g.: If you believe that the dev team is ignoring everything that is said on these forums, please prove it.)

Is there anything planned beyond 1200 ?

We have plenty of ideas for future versions, and many things are already half-done :
  • A pickup/drop weapon system, which is likely to be implemented as a new gamemode (i personally think it would be better this way) (thanks VonDrakula)
  • A auth-system
  • make cubescript available for servers
  • Bots available in multiplayer (new gamemodes ?)
  • Singleplayer campaigns

We're also planning to report and explain more the changes we bring to the game regularly on the forums.

NB: this is not the official "dev team statement", i'm just trying to explain the current situation. I tried to be as objective as possible. However, it's possible that some devs disagree on some points

PS : i apologize for my poor English.
Thanks given by:
[Image: thumbs_up.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(23 Apr 13, 04:12PM).ExodusS* Wrote: [Image: thumbs_up.jpg]
Thanks given by:
good job
Thanks given by:
Good job that has been done!
Thanks a lot!
Thanks given by:
Great! It's a really nice job you made to sum up everything into a clear post.
Thanks a lot Lucas!
Thanks given by:
Thanks for that!
Thanks given by:
Thank you!
Thanks given by:
Good job, thank you !
Thanks given by:
Thanks, looks promising!
Thanks given by:
I can't thank you enough for this, Lucas. It's a great job, well done.
Thanks given by:
Thanks for taking the time to put this thread together Luc@s.

(23 Apr 13, 03:33PM)Luc@s Wrote: (check the changelog again, and keep in mind it's not exhaustive !)

Emphasis on this. Please keep in mind the changelog doesn't list everything. A lot of things have been changed/fixed in 1.2
Thanks given by:
Well done mate, must have taken you some time to put all this down!

Some WIP addition in " Is there anything planned beyond 1200 ? "

Custom ammobox pickups
According to what your primary weapon is a specially designed pickup will show.

Mapmodels menu
Weapons alike mapmodels will show up in model's menu.
Thanks given by:
(23 Apr 13, 03:33PM)Luc@s Wrote:
[*] Ability to download maps, textures, mapmodels on the fly when they're missing
This is a major new feature. It will allow more creativity and high quality maps with custom contents to be actually played.
We need as much feedback as possible about this feature.

I love this!
That's an awesome new thing!
Thanks given by:
(23 Apr 13, 08:15PM)MathiasB Wrote: I love this!

Agree'd. One of the best new features IMO. :)

Edit: It also downloads missing ambient sounds. Anything required to run the map properly that would normally ruin FPS in the past.
Thanks given by:
Great!
Tomorrow, I'll (try to) compile AC 1.2 from the SVN and play a bit with it. Because you're asking testers...
Thanks given by:
thanks for the insight... well done indeed!
Thanks given by:
(23 Apr 13, 09:20PM)Bukz Wrote:
(23 Apr 13, 08:15PM)MathiasB Wrote: I love this!

Agree'd. One of the best new features IMO. :)

Edit: It also downloads missing ambient sounds. Anything required to run the map properly that would normally ruin FPS in the past.

F1
I've never considered trying a map with major custom content because they just don't get played on pubs. At best you'd get a few mapping enthusiasts downloading it, saying their thoughts, maybe intering on it once or twice, then it collects dust.

Yay Luc@s.
Thanks given by:
(23 Apr 13, 03:33PM)Luc@s Wrote: And once you've asked Brett, or the other devs, sometimes SKB, you won't find anyone else.

i hope to god you are kidding. not only are those poor choices for testers, but there are dozens of other people who would help you test the game with far greater efficiency.
Thanks given by:
Only thing that I don't like is:
Quote:Bots available in multiplayer (new gamemodes ?)
because then it would make the online part of AC feel like AC Reloaded

or at least that's a feature I've noticed when i last played acr ~7-10 months ago
Thanks given by:
(24 Apr 13, 05:13AM)Iguana Wrote: Only thing that I don't like is:
Quote:Bots available in multiplayer (new gamemodes ?)
because then it would make the online part of AC feel like AC Reloaded

or at least that's a feature I've noticed when i last played acr ~7-10 months ago

hopefully zombie co-op :D
Thanks given by:
Can we expect this new version within the next 9months?
Thanks given by:
(23 Apr 13, 09:52PM)Nightmare Wrote: I've never considered trying a map with major custom content because they just don't get played on pubs.
At best you'd get a few mapping enthusiasts downloading it, saying their thoughts, maybe intering on it once or twice, then it collects dust.

Why is it you're always so negative?

Custom maps never had big success because the whole process (if you knew how to in the first place) was a pain in the neck...

For a start you had to know such and such was available and where to download it from (only a very few newbies know about AKIMBO or Quadropolis).
Then you had to install it, how many message have we had like: meh I don't see models, how do you install that nice skymap, where do I put this and where do I put that?
This is for those who knew a little, for any other newcomer entering a custom map it all looked like a right mess, missing content image all over and they get blocked by invisible mapmodels clippings... "Say, what is this shite game? I'm out of here!"

All you gonna have to do now is connect (the feature is also available offline) to a server and fully enjoy playing any of the maps you want without having to bother about the search/find/download/install process... Isn't that marvellous?

Also note that Staff at AKIMBO are converting thousands of items from our archives, making them compatible for v1.2 and available for Auto-Download... Plenty of long forgotten maps will also resurface.

So, contradict me if wrong but all of this will for sure bring a lot more enthusiasm in playing AssaultCube.
Thanks given by:
Well done!
a lot of really good and positive change.
Thanks given by:
(24 Apr 13, 07:00AM)Cleaner Wrote:
(23 Apr 13, 09:52PM)Nightmare Wrote: I've never considered trying a map with major custom content because they just don't get played on pubs.
At best you'd get a few mapping enthusiasts downloading it, saying their thoughts, maybe intering on it once or twice, then it collects dust.

Why is it you're always so negative?

[...]

All you gonna have to do now is connect (the feature is also available offline) to a server and fully enjoy playing any of the maps you want without having to bother about the search/find/download/install process... Isn't that marvellous?

So, contradict me if wrong but all of this will for sure bring a lot more enthusiasm in playing AssaultCube.

Heyo, chill out. Ya'll are on the same side.
Thanks given by:
(24 Apr 13, 07:00AM)Cleaner Wrote: Plenty of long forgotten maps will also resurface.

I hope for ac_palenque (so many work and never played yet)
Thanks given by:
Don't you worry, I'm chilled, I just wish ppl could see the bright side of things every now and then.

@Exoduss, ac_palenque is up for auto-download (svn only atm)
Thanks given by:
I want to try it, but first I need to find SDL_image somewhere :)
Thanks given by:
i downloaded the forum framework, to check what is the limit of text in database :D
Thanks given by:
(24 Apr 13, 04:49AM)Undead Wrote: i hope to god you are kidding. not only are those poor choices for testers, but there are dozens of other people who would help you test the game with far greater efficiency.

So what are you waiting for? Start testing. Looking forward to your expert analysis.
Thanks given by: