AC 1.1 OR AC 1.0.4
NO GEMA, NO OFTEN PLAYED AND WELL KNOWN CUSTOM MAPS

I am no game-freak, I play sometimes, and I really liked AC. I like the official maps, and I like the gameplay, I also liked some of the changes in 1.1. I also started a server on AC 1.1. called FREE4ALL. But my original reason to start a server was, to make my own GEMA server, where the maprot is only GEMA maps. But then i realized that this wasn't possible in 1.1....

But I also liked GEMA maps and some custom maps like oldvillage, Headshotcity-Reloaded, etc.. And oldvillage really was a good map. And GEMA is a welcome change when always playing ac_desert TOSOK! So where is all the variety of AC??? It's gone. Now if I logon to the masterserver, there are no new maps to discover, always the same few ac_xxx maps in always the same game modes played. THIS!! is really sad. It's sad that there are developers who forces their opinions on the whole community, although a great part of this community really liked GEMA and really loved the variety of custom maps. So it feels like you wanna program a game for your own, where you can make everything like you want. But that's not the case. There are many people who liked it. And the ones who claim about custom maps always had and have the possibility to play only official maps. So where's the problem?
Really sad...
Thanks given by:
Kinda agree.
Thanks given by:
(19 Sep 10, 05:36PM)Cybershot Wrote: And the ones who claim about custom maps always had and have the possibility to play only official maps. So where's the problem?
Really sad...

There's a difference between custom maps and custom crap :)

Speaking of variety, have you ever played HTF ac_mines? You didn't... I thought so. Or maybe you don't even know what HTF is..
Thanks given by:
How about team survivor ac_shine? ;]
Thanks given by:
(19 Sep 10, 07:18PM)KN!F3 Wrote: How about team survivor ac_shine? ;]

I have, yes
Thanks given by:
Sometimes it's just not fun to keep playing the same maps. And it's the player's job to decide wether a custom map is or isn't "custom crap". Certainly NOT the devs' choice.
Thanks given by:
(19 Sep 10, 08:54PM)titiPT Wrote: Sometimes it's just not fun to keep playing the same maps. And it's the player's job to decide wether a custom map is or isn't "custom crap". Certainly NOT the devs' choice.

Yes
Thanks given by:
Yes that's right it's the players job to decide, that's what I mean, to satisfy the community, not only the devs own wishes.
And yes I played most of the ac_xxxxx maps in most game modes. But the maps remain the same. So at some point people love to discover NEW/OTHER things.
Thanks given by:
Quote:13: Community Comes Last

This is not to say that the community should never be involved, but building a community is something that should happen at the end of a project, when it is finished or nearly finished. Creating a community too soon invites trouble that you definitely do not want.

Community members will want to make their opinions known, and since everyone wants to be liked there is a really high chance that these opinions will be taken seriously. This will lead to a lot of second guessing of the plan, implementing new things, tweaking other things, and generally wasting time that needs to be spent actually making progress and finishing the project. Some of these things might be great ideas, but DON'T DO IT.

Implementing community wishes and wants before the project is done is like the dark side of the force: Once you give in, it will forever dominate you. And it will also forever distract you from getting to the goal.

Community is one of those things that certain developers do right. Valve comes to mind immediately. Team Fortress 2 is updated constantly, and it continually involves community members and keeps them interested. But one thing to keep in mind is that before there was a community, there was a finished game, and that makes ALL the difference in the world. We did it backwards, and it contributed heavily to our demise.
http://bloodfrontier.com
Of course, AC is already finished but it still applies because AC is still being developed. Stop making devs second-guess themselves!
Thanks given by:
I use it, it works, there are no bugs, there is no "beta" status, everyone can download it, and it works out of the box. its version 1.1 !!!! so don't tell me it's not finished. and by the way, community is ALL the game has and IS actually. The game is nothing more than the people who are playing, enjoying it! Without them, it's nothing, just code.
Thanks given by:
Generally speaking, non-commercial open source games are never ready. They are not like commercial games, with lots of buzz around one release date, then there will be a few patches, and that's it - next release in 3-4 years. Non-commercial games (or rather any kind of NC project) have the huge advantage of being able to re-release frequently, because they don't have to fire up a huge ad campaign each time.

EDIT: I meant to say finished, not ready. Sorry for that.
Thanks given by:
Quote:Generally speaking, non-commercial open source games are never ready.
You couldn't be more wrong...

... I bet we wouldn't be talking about all this if AC was not 40 MB, but a 400 MB game...

P@ndel
Thanks given by:
if it is ready, finished, whatever. fact is, it's a game which is enjoyed by many players, and a large number of these players enjoyed custom maps and gema. that's a fact. and cutting these things off (custom maps, gema), makes it not even half as good as it was before. a clever company would release a new version (like you, but for money) and because they are clever, they look what their players like. and they realize that there are (beside the official maps and modes) some other often played maps and a new game mode which is also played by many people. so they would have implemented this into their new version, because they wanna satisfy the people who are playing this game, not themselves. (tongue in cheek of course, money)

ok the problem is obvious. Why are so many people even talking about 1.1. or 1.0.4? why are there many other threads and discussions in this forum started by disappointed players who liked gema and other custom maps? do you want to ignore them all? do you want a great part of the community to leave? then why do you develop this game, if you are not doing it for the people out there?
Thanks given by:
Is there anything you do which is motivated by something other than money or "what others think"?
To the devs, this is that.
Thanks given by:
(20 Sep 10, 05:53AM)Cybershot Wrote: Why are so many people even talking about 1.1. or 1.0.4?

Because, for some reason, people always think new things are worse than the good old ones.
May I remember everyone that exactly the same stupid discussion was going on when 1.0 came out. The interesting part is that some of those who cried how bad 1.0 was now defend it in all vehemence against 1.1.

(20 Sep 10, 05:53AM)Cybershot Wrote: a clever company would release a new version (like you, but for money) and because they are clever, they look what their players like
You obviously have no experience at all regarding the actions of commercial software developers. Just think of Microsoft. Really, almost all open-source developers listen so much more to users than any average company.
Thanks given by:
(21 Sep 10, 06:45PM)tempest Wrote:
(20 Sep 10, 05:53AM)Cybershot Wrote: Why are so many people even talking about 1.1. or 1.0.4?

Because, for some reason, people always think new things are worse than the good old ones.

http://forum.cubers.net/thread-975.html

(21 Sep 10, 06:45PM)tempest Wrote: Really, almost all open-source developers listen so much more to users than any average company.

This is not true for AC. Hopefully, THIS will prove me wrong.

P@ndel
Thanks given by:
the problem is, now, you can't really "try" your map, I mean, the only way to make your map played on other servers, is to be a well-known player, but you can't share your maps by the game as easily as before.
Oh, and; if AC 1.1 is not considered as "finished"
well, now you have a lot of feedback. Isn't it time to take them in consideration ? Some ideas were good. But we saw they were not working. Remove them ! So ideas were good and work fine. Let them !

But don't forget that if devs do w/e they want, players can do w/e they want too. If they don't want to be called "cheaters" just because they prefer a older version of the game with no anticheat, they can decide to stop to give advices...
Thanks given by:
(19 Sep 10, 05:36PM)Cybershot Wrote: NO GEMA, NO OFTEN PLAYED AND WELL KNOWN CUSTOM MAPS

I am no game-freak, I play sometimes, and I really liked AC. I like the official maps, and I like the gameplay, I also liked some of the changes in 1.1. I also started a server on AC 1.1. called FREE4ALL. But my original reason to start a server was, to make my own GEMA server, where the maprot is only GEMA maps. But then i realized that this wasn't possible in 1.1....

But I also liked GEMA maps and some custom maps like oldvillage, Headshotcity-Reloaded, etc.. And oldvillage really was a good map. And GEMA is a welcome change when always playing ac_desert TOSOK! So where is all the variety of AC??? It's gone. Now if I logon to the masterserver, there are no new maps to discover, always the same few ac_xxx maps in always the same game modes played. THIS!! is really sad. It's sad that there are developers who forces their opinions on the whole community, although a great part of this community really liked GEMA and really loved the variety of custom maps. So it feels like you wanna program a game for your own, where you can make everything like you want. But that's not the case. There are many people who liked it. And the ones who claim about custom maps always had and have the possibility to play only official maps. So where's the problem?
Really sad...

Cybershot i couldn't have put it better myself. Well then again maybe I could but I cba to. I agree with you completely though.
Thanks given by:
gema is ftw
Thanks given by:
Now the game was drasctically changed there are more problems.I read Draka's 1st page comment and i'm totally agree about the changes.

The nades between rounds were awesome I don't understand why that was a problem =/
The spectating mode is really stupid cuz you get autokicked so fast.
The lag issue,why we get banned/kicked if we lag for a little moment? With all the respect That's a noob command/script whatever it's named, called anti-hack? IMO the correct way to do this was to make a ban/kick for the ones who score a ratio 10+ or 8+ if we talk about ratio whores.

Speed hack could be kicked if you set the location of a player to a max in a second,there are some stats in the right low corner that say some stuff and you can set that in the map where you CAN'T go too far in a second or you get kicked/banned for speedhacking.

I know there are brilliant minds around here,I'm really sorry for being a n00b that doesn't know about this but if nooby lag kicks are posible then what i'm telling is possible.

BTW now the game is called ShotgunCube because now everybody uses the shotgun because it's so freakin' easy to get a gib. That was to fix the smg and sniper problems but where's the assault riffle?

The gemas,I won't discuss much about it but it was not bad the problem was that lot of noobs started to make a 2 min map called gema.The gemas that had dedication were good to relax a while if you have been pwning n00bz for a long time.There was nothing wrong with it.

This version was focus on innovations than in fixing problems.
Thanks given by:
(23 Sep 10, 07:57AM)Monas|SK| Wrote: IMO the correct way to do this was to make a ban/kick for the ones who score a ratio 10+ or 8+ if we talk about ratio whores.
I'm afraid that wont work and is quite silly. Have you ever started a game of have gotten 10 kills before your first death ? I have seen that many times on pubs and if your method was implemented, then they would be kicked. Besides, kicking or even banning somebody for their ratio is just so outrageous.
Thanks given by:
then increasing it to 15+ ,its not a bad idea what i meant is that haxing or ratio whores will gdfo if thats implemented,nuke hack can be fixed cuz of that or an autoban for making a 10 gib combo,idk im doing my brainstorm xD
Thanks given by:
(23 Sep 10, 09:32AM)Ext3rmin8or101 Wrote: I like 1.1 better.

You should GTFO of here already.

P@ndel
Thanks given by:
.... Well at least they are getting more punctual.

Btw I like how you sign all your posts P@ndel :D
Thanks given by:
(23 Sep 10, 10:29AM)P@ndel Wrote:

P@ndel

P@ndel, stop it. The heading of this thread, started by you in case you've forgotten, is "1.0.4 OR 1.1". If you're not interested in opinions differing from yours, don't come here and fake a discussion.
Thanks given by:
(23 Sep 10, 12:12PM)Mr.Floppy Wrote:
(23 Sep 10, 10:29AM)P@ndel Wrote:

P@ndel

P@ndel, stop it. The heading of this thread, started by you in case you've forgotten, is "1.0.4 OR 1.1". If you're not interested in opinions differing from yours, don't come here and fake a discussion.

You should have looked closer before writing that. This is that famous spammer that has been spamming AC forums for so long.

-.-

P@ndel
Thanks given by:
How's that? He joined the forums today.
Thanks given by:
Indeed. His first post was: http://forum.cubers.net/thread-995.html - very amusing IMHO x)

P@ndel
Thanks given by:
Then why did you say "been spamming the AC forums for so long" lol
Thanks given by:
That doesn't matter. You've got enough warnings already and yet you still can't behave. I'm not in for discussing.

---edit---

@Pandel: You may learn the difference between making a point and discussing before playing the smart guy.
Thanks given by: