Map requirements for 1.1?
It just feels like as if something has gone wrong with AC somehow, that's the main reason why I'm questioning the restrictions. The game plays the same, and yet there are so little people. And I realise it's early into the release of the newest version, but I thought people would be more eager to move what with all the improvements.
Would there be any way in the future to allow certain maps outside these restrictions? Like say, have the map sent to someone important, get the map stamped for online play, and having a server recognise that stamp? Or, allowing custom maps outside the restrictions within a server rotation? Or both?
Thanks given by:
(18 Aug 10, 07:58AM)Sticky Wrote: so no more gema maps? i'm sorry but gema's are fun when u get tierd of killing and wanna test your movement skills.....
...as much as I like to argue against the new restrictions and be a bitter gurmudgeon that's convinced change is bad... movement skills?
Thanks given by:
(18 Aug 10, 07:58AM)Sticky Wrote: so no more gema maps?
There will be If you create a good gema map which respect the new restrictions... I could create a gema map inside these restrictions, but obviously it would not be a good map... :P

Quote:so maps like iceworld can't be played either?
Iceworld?!?!
D:

(18 Aug 10, 09:16AM)Friedslick6 Wrote: Would there be any way in the future to allow certain maps outside these restrictions? Like say, have the map sent to someone important, get the map stamped for online play, and having a server recognise that stamp? Or, allowing custom maps outside the restrictions within a server rotation? Or both?
The restrictions can change any moment... since they are not "perfect"... but there is no reason to allow a crappy map just because someone "important" created it.
Thanks given by:
It is funny almost all in community started to map with crappy maps and now all these people hate them. :D Laggy maps in AC aren't only ezjemvill and gemas :P but you probably haven't seen many cool maps around which don't fit your restrictions. Now you can delete quadropolis, it is useless. :P If player will not upload them to server, what have sense to play them in single player ?

So mapping in 1.0.2: you will create map in singleplayer , then you will upload it to some forum, if your map will be good and you will be nice to admin of the forum, your map will be add to official AC mappack and then some server admin choose your map for his maprot and then you will see if your map is playable or total shit. I don't say that it isn't possible but the process of AC mapping in 0.93 was better. More free, independent, quicker feedback.
Thanks given by:
Alien... calm down.

I have more than 400 maps here... And I played more time in crappy maps than in the officials.
So, beware before say crap.

Sometime ago I check your "aCKa Custom" server, and there were 3 or 4 maps with skymap textures in the walls and floor... if you think this is funny, you are absolutely wrong... this is pure shit. My crappiest maps are better than your maps.

These automatic restrictions were created because the devs were wasting precious time blacklisting crap servers... a really unwanted job by anyone.
With these automatic restrictions you still can play some of your crap maps, but not the TwinTowers-like or WWIIDDAY-like ones.

Stop to complain.
Thanks given by:
(18 Aug 10, 03:22PM)Brahma Wrote: The restrictions can change any moment... since they are not "perfect"... but there is no reason to allow a crappy map just because someone "important" created it.
You misunderstood him. He's saying that someone "important" (the dev team/people appointed by the devs for example) can "approve" the map so that it can be played, even if it doesn't fit within the limits.

I'm pretty sure that's what he meant anyway.
Thanks given by:
If a dev approve the blocked map, it means the restrictions must adapt to it asap.
Thanks given by:
Does the rule of majority overpower the free choice of the minority?
If some people complain about maps that they don't agree with, then why should that complaint influence everyone else who believes in a free choice of maps?
Thanks given by:
Skymap on floor is for creating effect of flying map,it is only in ac_H&H creating clouds in heaven and ac_icedream creating from ice cube flying in blue eternity, skymap on wall i dunno what is wrong with it, it is common effect in official maps too. If you liked fragging in twin-towers i understand that your imagination is a bit reduced. Try to create some map in Cube engine and don't copy some official ideas, i wanna see you.

your mentioned server is /connect eur.acka.biz if someone has some idea how improve these maps or some negative comments, be free to visit our forum, www.acka.biz/forum, i am opened for all discussions.

Quote:These automatic restrictions were created because the devs were wasting precious time blacklisting crap servers... a really unwanted job by anyone.
How many entries had that blacklist? Newcomer will download some map from akimbo or quadropolis and try to upload it to server and he will receive 20 errros. What you think what he will do ? I don't understand that these restrictions passed in dev team, so many mappers there.
Thanks given by:
(18 Aug 10, 11:59PM)Brahma Wrote: With these automatic restrictions you still can play some of your crap maps, but not the TwinTowers-like or WWIIDDAY-like ones.

So why should people not play any maps they want on THEIR servers?
Banning servers with a twin-towers-only map rotation is one thing, and that's perfectly okay because you run the masterserver.
But banning maps server-side, just based on the judgements of a computer which determines if it's a "crap map", is totally different. I thought one of the main purposes of all Cube-engine games, including AC, was to create your own maps, maybe together with others, and then share them and PLAY THEM. Without any dumb restrictions applied, of course.

Ah, and on a side note, I'm really sick of seeing the term "crap maps" being used without quotation marks. Think about what that implies.
Thanks given by:
(19 Aug 10, 07:30AM)Friedslick6 Wrote: Does the rule of majority overpower the free choice of the minority?
If you are part of the minority which spend precious hours tracking bugs, coding features, hunting cheaters, supporting forums, spending your own money to support good servers... so you have voice.

@Alien
It looks like you entered the community yesterday....

(19 Aug 10, 10:32AM)tempest Wrote: So why should people not play any maps they want on THEIR servers?
They can... just change the server code and do not register it in the masterserver.
Quote:Banning servers with a twin-towers-only map rotation is one thing, and that's perfectly okay because you run the masterserver.
But banning maps server-side, just based on the judgements of a computer which determines if it's a "crap map", is totally different.
It is the same... the guys who spent days of life developing, coding and creating maps and models for this, do not created it to run Ezjemville... and I LOVE TO PLAY EZJEMVILLE... but we need to respect the limits of the engine and the purpose of the game. The new server side requirements just follow these guidelines.
Quote: I thought one of the main purposes of all Cube-engine games, including AC, was to create your own maps, maybe together with others, and then share them and PLAY THEM. Without any dumb restrictions applied, of course.
If you want to create and play a huge map, play Sauerbraten.
If you want to play a huge map in AC, do not create a public server for this.
Thanks given by:
(18 Aug 10, 06:43PM)Alien Wrote: It is funny almost all in community started to map with crappy maps and now all these people hate them. :D

Not me though. Mine are perfect.

EDIT: All of them. <3
Thanks given by:
Quote:If you are part of the minority which spend precious hours tracking bugs, coding features, hunting cheaters, supporting forums, spending your own money to support good servers... so you have voice.
i spent many nice moths during mapping, years of playing, commenting AC features in forums, run AC servers, paying for them monthly, no caring about cheaters (kids who download hacked clients really have no privilege to take my time), run clan forum and sites (which are constantly in todo :P) and i am putting F2 for this feature. If someone don't know why, i am tired of explaining and i received forum warning ..., i like this game and wish the best all around
see you in game :P
Thanks given by:
(19 Aug 10, 04:36PM)Alien Wrote: i spent many nice moths during mapping, years of playing, commenting AC features in forums, run AC servers, paying for them monthly, no caring about cheaters (kids who download hacked clients really have no privilege to take my time), run clan forum and sites (which are constantly in todo :P)

This is why I still read what you write.
But your arguments are simply: "I do not want this solution"... if you want to give proper arguments, try to propose alternative solutions.
Thanks given by:
First off, i have had also the "quality warning" on one of my maps and it pissed me off. After several talks with Brahma and updating and reworking the map all is fine again. With this experience I can truly say that it is possible to make a map fitting into this requirements (my other maps havent had any problems anyway). Ok, this was the personal message.

Now the moderator's opinion: Everything has already said in this thread, also the usual complains. W/e the requirements are there and everyone has to deal with it. Thread is closed now.
Thanks given by: