Desura
I would like to request you add Assault Cube to Desura. If you haven't heard of Desura before, it is a game distribution client like Steam, one that actually has native Linux support. The only requirements are a small quality check, and requires you can run from the users home directory and not spread files everywhere. I know you have both of these long since covered.
Thanks given by:
Desura/howto Wrote:"your game or mod is more than a month or so away from completion then it will not be approved"
AC is, i think, about to release a new version..

Might it be a hassle to download Desura then AC for every update? How big is this Desura to download, because AssaultCube is aimed at lower-spec hardwared computers.
Thanks given by:
As i understand it there are no Mac support yet by Desura.

"On November 9, 2011 it was announced that Desura would be made partially free software in order to facilitate its further development. The client itself would be released under the GNU General Public License, while the server-side portion of the distribution platform would remain proprietary."

What, proprietary? No thanks not on my computer anyway.
Have enough with flash (puke) and GPU driver.
Thanks given by:
(01 Feb 12, 07:24PM)DES|OpenSource Wrote: ...Proprietary...

Does that mean i would have to pay to play AssaultCube?.. hmmm
Thanks given by:
"...free software..." in this context is a licensing term, not a cost indication. Like wise, "...proprietary..." simply means they're not releasing the code for the server side of their distribution network. This is simply a way of keeping linux users happy about the open source nature of the software they install on their computer.
So, no, MG, you wouldn't have to pay; they already offer free (zero cost) games.
My heart says "no", I don't like the look of this, but I've never pretended to be a software developer and I'd welcome comments from more experienced/knowledgeable brains.

Thanks given by:
AC would definitely gain more "publicity" by being on Desura, to my mind. (To those who don't know desura, think multi-platform Steam) I think I've seen Battle for Wesnoth, as well as Red Eclipse, on Desura.

The only issue i see is it would probably mean devs would have to make Desura specific packaging, which is no biggy. (you have to get approved ,tho, and that takes time)

I say go for it.
Thanks given by:
Not that I know much about Desura but I am pretty sure there is a catch somewhere, this part for example may require some pecuniary investment.

If not let's go for it, get some more cheaters in!
Thanks given by:
Desura is in fact open source on the client side, so no proprietary madness installed to your machine. Desura allows you to push back updated versions through their system. Cube2 Sauerbraten and Red Eclipse are listed and will install very well through Desura. You can go grab them and play them completely free right now. Seeing as Assault Cube is based on their old engine I don't expect it to be too hard to get AC listed. If you are a month away from a major release, it may pay to wait until that release is made and start supporting Desura with that one.

Desura really is nice and I am using it to play most the games I usually do. Notably missing from the usual is Assault Cube and MegaGlest, but one at a time eh >.> Not like I couldn't grab the upstream tarballs and play that way, I find enough convenience for myself as a user to want to use Desura.

The Desura devs seem to be a great bunch of guys trying to make an honest buck through the commercial end of the product, and seem more than happy to have the open source games on there as it makes people more likely to start using their product. They are also providing a service for Linux users in giving them a cross distribution way to install games (That aren't too old to be useful like those in a lot of repositories).

I like their service, I love your game, I would like to see both of them thrive into the future. Therefor my request yesterday/today. (P.S. I do develop software)
Thanks given by:
Certainly an option. I personally won't register there (slightly weird ToS, mandatory "Gender" field in the signup form - WTF?). However, if someone from the dev team wants to do that, if any publisher agreements and such fit with AC's license, and so on. I haven't been able to find said agreements anywhere - I hope you don't have to sign an NDA before you get to read them :P

Also, they seem to be adding games by themselves - I know this was the case with Red Eclipse, and I guess it's the same with Sauerbraten.
Thanks given by:
I believe the games they are adding themselves are the ones already listed on IndieDB. From their add a new game site:

"Or is your game already on ModDB or IndieDB? Then you don't need to re-add it to Desura, you simply need to publish it via the development page."
Thanks given by:
Quote:As i understand it there are no Mac support yet by Desura.

I don't know much about software development but this would be an issue for me personally. There is a small but dedicated fan base of mac users on this game. Obviously, we could continue to use compiled clients from the source, but it seems to me that it'd be nice for equal distribution for all platforms.
Thanks given by:
(02 Feb 12, 10:36PM)Waffles Wrote:
Quote:As i understand it there are no Mac support yet by Desura.

I don't know much about software development but this would be an issue for me personally. There is a small but dedicated fan base of mac users on this game. Obviously, we could continue to use compiled clients from the source, but it seems to me that it'd be nice for equal distribution for all platforms.

Desura would be an additional distributor, so you could still get your mac packages from Source Forge. I don't think Desura will take ages to get mac support, client is OSS, so it's easy (ish) to port to OS X. When it gets that, you can be lazy like the rest of Desura users. D:

Thanks given by: