More maprestriction in next AC?
<@Undead> Improving quality is better than making something compatible
<@Undead> i thought compatibility was the whole point of AC
<@Undead> so people on old machines and shit connections could play a multiplayer game
<+ilucky> yes
<+ilucky> shit connections like mine

Cant agree with this enough
Thanks given by:
Yeah, but when a map is so laggy that it defeats that purpose, then there's no point
Thanks given by:
Simple...official maps.
Thanks given by:
AC hasn't changed so much since 1.0.4 that people on old machines and slow connections cannot play it (in fact it should have gotten better for most), therefore your reference doesn't really apply in this case. The compatibility debate started because Alien thinks that map restrictions are a bad idea because some maps from older versions of the game "no longer work" in the current version.

Like I said, compatibility is a priority, but making a quality game takes precedence. I would hope the community feels the same way. Many times in the "coding world" developers have to make tough decisions, ones that shape the future of the project. The decision to add restrictions in the hopes that mappers would begin cranking out better, more appropriate maps for this engine was made a long time ago - yet we're still bickering about it today.

AFAIK, the restrictions are here to stay, if you have any constructive criticism that would maybe help improve them, that is always more than welcome. But throwing a hissy fit and saying that you will leave the community if the developers do not change their mind about the restrictions is quite elementary, and won't get you (or us) anywhere. ;)
Thanks given by:
I think it is possible to host alternative MS (i have still free capacity for 3 servers, i don't host now maps for stupid shooters in default maps, so they are free) but it needs else something ...

... i like that concept of custom packages, if the custom MS could work with it, it will not die for lack of players, if custom MS, it needs to be really custom, mapmodels, textures, sounds, entities, maps (without focusing on one type of gameplay)

Could you guys to create branch in SVN for custom part of the game ?
Thanks given by:
(22 Nov 11, 07:43PM)Alien Wrote: I think it is possible to host alternative MS (i have still free capacity for 3 servers, i don't host now maps for stupid shooters in default maps, so they are free) but it needs else something ...

... i like that concept of custom packages, if the custom MS could work with it, it will not die for lack of players, if custom MS, it needs to be really custom, mapmodels, textures, sounds, entities, maps (without focusing on one type of gameplay)

Could you guys to create branch in SVN for custom part of the game ?

we're working on this so you can't say we're attempting to kill creativity or to impose official maps.

By the way, @ those who say "what ?? More map restrictions again ?" : please read all posts carefully, don't stick to the thread subject

(22 Nov 11, 06:34AM)lucky Wrote: <@Undead> Improving quality is better than making something compatible
<@Undead> i thought compatibility was the whole point of AC
<@Undead> so people on old machines and shit connections could play a multiplayer game
<+ilucky> yes
<+ilucky> shit connections like mine

Cant agree with this enough

I don't the the relation with thread, maybe you meant map quality checks can help to prevent players to release maps which won't be rendered properly by old hardware ?
Thanks given by:
(18 Nov 11, 11:38PM)AnGeL* Wrote: I wish they would just put 1.0.4 back and leave it there...

Thanks given by:
(20 Nov 11, 10:12PM)Mai Mee Tur Wrote: Then play the maps off MS, simple solution for a simple problem!

If it was that simple there wouldn't be a problem. How many people would play in a server off the ms? It's just more convenient and easier not to.

(22 Nov 11, 08:42PM)SiL3nT Wrote:
(18 Nov 11, 11:38PM)AnGeL* Wrote: I wish they would just put 1.0.4 back and leave it there...
Thanks given by:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/actionga...n%201.0.4/
Thanks given by:
(22 Nov 11, 08:42PM)SiL3nT Wrote:

[Image: pikitfleur.gif]
if that's all you can say...
Thanks given by:
the point is that although it's there it's not the 'default' ac. Me and a bunch of others who liked 1.04 more could try and start it up again but the thing is who's gonna download a game they've kind of already got except it has 5 at a time tops playing on it?
Thanks given by:
yes who would download a deprecated game with no anticheat (=more cheaters), less playable maps, weapons, etc.

but maybe you have something constructive to say to improve the current version? if you don't, then please keep your comments for yourself, seriously, they don't make us feel like doing any effort
Thanks given by:
because people would care about the lack of a carbine... Also, the no anticheat thing isn't really a useful comment as everyone complains about how there's still hackers despite the anticheat, no disrespect to who made it and as long as 1.04 doesn't become popular again then there'd be no insentive to download it to cheat in anyway.
Constructive? Not that your comment was particularly constructive.
Thanks given by:
There is nothing stopping you from "bringing 1.0.4 back" except for yourself. If you want it that badly it will take a lot of effort, and I doubt it will ever take off (I've seen previous attempts fail).

The reason Luc@s is saying you are not being constructive is because, rather than throwing out suggestions on how to improve the current game, you along with some others are just saying bring 1.0.4 back and throw out all the improvements and hard work thats been put into the current version/SVN. That is not only a slap in the face to the people that volunteer their free time to work on the game, but it's also a lot less constructive than giving legitimate suggestions.

About the anti-cheat, yes it needs to be refined and updated in certain areas.

I remember when open source communities worked together to turn it into a good project. Apparently its more cool to "rebel" and have a bunch of different forks nowadays.
Thanks given by:
Bukz wrote:

“I remember when open source communities worked together to turn it into a good project. Apparently its more cool to "rebel" and have a bunch of different forks nowadays.”

Forks! People want forks ffs. We’ve got knives haven’t we?!
I suppose they’ll be lots of players sitting on the steps on ac_mines eating their supper next and chatting. Oh well, FPS obviously aren’t what they used to be.
Still, the parents will like it and the Germans won’t have to worry so much about the game getting banned because it’s too violent.
On second thought, I’m for the forks bit. I’ve been running around these maps killing people I hardly know for years, so yeah, let’s do lunch and get to know each other a bit.

Overall I’m not keen on this map rotation idea. It’s hard enough playing them the way round they are.
Course, if you make a big green field with a few pick ups in it I don’t spose it matters which way round it is. Mind you, that won’t stop the “pro” players complaining about a side advantage.
Maybe the devs could colour in one complete side of the map; that way even if it’s rotated the stupidest…and we do get some exceedingly stupid people here, would know where they are. This seems to be a major problem for a lot of players. I know memorizing stuff can be hard but I would have thought after three or four years of playing the better players would be able to memorise more than say three or four maps. Anyway, apparently not so I suppose rotating a map would at least alleviate some of the tedium.

Anyway, jolly good job devs and if you do go for the colour scheme idea my vote is pink and black.

;)
Thanks given by:
Awesome!
Finally tipper showed up.
The discussion was degenerating without ya, mate.

P.S. Wifey also votes pink and black.
Thanks given by:
An unbalanced map is a chance to improve your skill and devolpe strategies.
Thanks given by:
Before you decide what maps pass and fail, let me help you pull your heads out of your nether regions and point you on the path of awesomeness... MAKE RIVERSIDE OFFICIAL MAP. However since the odds of this happening are zero to nil I'll fallback on an old standby. Ready?

DUST2DUST2DUST2DUST2DUST2DUST2DUST2DUST2DUST2DUST2DUST2DUST2DUST2DUST2DUST2DUST2
Thanks given by:
(24 Nov 11, 11:31PM)SleepKiller Wrote: An unbalanced map is a chance to improve your skill and devolpe strategies.

A map in AC is supposed to be a challenge for both teams, not one.
Thanks given by:
Oh, if such a masterpiece wouldnt apply...
Ac_spider + ?
What a loss.
[+ map is my map of the week, ac_spider my best map of all time, I´d love to see two OSOK masters hand to hand on this one.]
Credits given where due...
Thanks given by:
No, the big loss is no ac_bunker :'(
Thanks given by:
(23 Nov 11, 12:00AM)Bukz Wrote: There is nothing stopping you from "bringing 1.0.4 back" except for yourself. If you want it that badly it will take a lot of effort, and I doubt it will ever take off (I've seen previous attempts fail).

The reason Luc@s is saying you are not being constructive is because, rather than throwing out suggestions on how to improve the current game, you along with some others are just saying bring 1.0.4 back and throw out all the improvements and hard work thats been put into the current version/SVN. That is not only a slap in the face to the people that volunteer their free time to work on the game, but it's also a lot less constructive than giving legitimate suggestions.

About the anti-cheat, yes it needs to be refined and updated in certain areas.

I remember when open source communities worked together to turn it into a good project. Apparently its more cool to "rebel" and have a bunch of different forks nowadays.

If I had it my way everyone would get their own way, by which I mean there being 2 selectable masterservers. One with restrictions one without. I realise this will never happen though.
Thanks given by:
there's no difference between 1 unique masterserver with no restrictions and 2 selectable masterservers; if they're selectable they're both public and it just brings more complexity for the same effects
Thanks given by:
And that's why it probably was a bad idea to ever get started with this whole thing.
Thanks given by:
It sounds to me as good idea to have switcher for clients

+ switching clients related to concrete MS
+ simpler releasing of new version (just adding next instance of MS on the list and force the switcher download it)
+ possible to have more types of game
+ no discussion about the restrictions :)
+ custom materials related to specific MS (for example western MS), all clients would download necessary material for playing
etc.

Only you would probably lost the control on some threads in development, it is all how it would be driven, if in sense OS, if you wanna use my code, keep yourself open for others too or if how you lick right asses -> you have that privileges to open MS.

I cannot forget that statement of Clown - "it is a privilege and not the right to play on my servers" ;)

Thanks given by:
Seriously, what about all this great visionary people in here just team up and make their own game? AC is open source, you know. Get up your arses and create this mess of a game you've been demanding for years yourself.

Or, if this may be no option for you folks, just look for another game. Life could be so easy...

_____
Sorry for putting this thread even further off topic, but this whole map restrictions bla bla isn't worth being discussed anymore.
Thanks given by:
aff... Clown... Brings me back nice memories

* Cleaner wishes he'd never left but DES|Cleaner has now a new policy... No more tears for leavers!
Thanks given by:
There are only 4 updates that really needs to be made in AC (The others i just want them to be implemented.)

1.Cone(not cylinder) shaped lighting on X,Y,AND Z Axis and the radius depends on how close you put the lighting to the floor.(basically put cone as a lighting option.)

2.Wall Editing Make it so you can Draw/heightfield Cubes on the walls.

3.Better Weapon Balancing!!!!

4.STENCIL SHADOWS FOR MAPS not just the playermodels or the pickups :\.

5.an HD and SD version of the game SO the rich people can stop complaining about why ac so low quality.

6.AC Official SERVERS!

7.Different weapon models for each team.

8.Allow for custom skins to be seen online(w/o you having to download it also.).

9.Kill feed (Instead of you fragged or gibbed, ect.) you should just show the killers name the gun that he used and the victims name afterwards.

10.Built in ac server maker

11.Slower movement for a more realistic appeal ; as well as a run button.

12.Sticky GRENADES!!!!

13.Add equipment to your Guns (Silencer, extra ammo, etc.

14.AIM DOWN SIGHTS. also knowN as Iron sights.

15.A OFFICIAL ZOMBIE MODE!

16.Better RELOAD ANIMATIONS. (like actually show the hand taking the clip out and inserting a new one.)

17.Ac will download all the Custom content via Akimbo(or something else.)when you get a map with custom content.

18.A variety of player models including Girl ones.

19.Better looking water.(mostly like cube2's water.)

20.A BOMB MODE!

Thanks given by:
1. Don't know enough about it to comment.
2. Not going to happen with the cube 1 engine. Cube 2 can do it however.
3. We're working on it.
4. Maybe.
5. We're working on it.
6. Not going to happen AFAIK. The development team has enough services to maintain (forums, MS, etc.)
7. Maybe one day.
8. They already can, but it's impossible without downloading them ahead of time. Luc@s/tempest may have something up their sleeves for this. :)
9. Maybe, it would require a lot of recoding of the console though.
10. See the server_wizard.
11. Meh, slower movement?! I certainly wouldn't like that. About the run feature, strafe-running pretty much covers that already. It's a bug from cube 1 that was intentionally left in the engine because it seems more fun that way.
12. Meh. Maybe, not sure if I support the idea of having /more/ nades. :p
13. Probably never going to happen. AC is meant to be simplistic.
14. Maybe one day.
15. Probably never going to happen since there are so many scripts/mods for it already.
16. Maybe. It would require major reworking of the weapon models.
17. Luc@s/tempest already have something up their sleeves for this. :D
18. Maybe one day.
19. Probably not going to happen.
20. Maybe one day.
Thanks given by:
1. idk
2.idk
3.Ok
4.No need
5.Ok
6.Ok
7.No need
8.No need
9.No need
11.No need
12.No need
13.No need
14.why not
15.No need
16.No need
18.No need
19.idk
20.No need

I like this game like this. only connection, cheat, bugs, servers, weapons ( balance) problems has to be change.
All others points are supose to be like other existing games.
I don't want a counter-strike_bis, COD_bis, Unreal_bis, or any other games which you can stop breathing to aim...
Thanks given by: