More maprestriction in next AC?
Quote:The only people who want to play on maps with 100 fps+ less than normal are the noobs jumping off megatowers thinking they are cool.

The map size influences fps rate, but it is also the quality of computer. I play under 100 fps on official maps and "that laggy maps" still work for me. It sounds to me so arrogant. I enjoyed maps with FPS 26 on old computer. You should try better games where you can show your FPS skills, Mr. Pro ;)

Quote:Sauerbraten has no restrictions and a "better" map editor, people can go map there instead.

But Sauerbraten has other gameplay. And you cannot apply there maps created in AC and vice versa. The engine is so different. Your friends in AC will not move to Sauer because your map.

Quote:wonder why people want things that the engine just can't handle

But the engine can handle them, the maps aren't just focused on FPS tournaments and official matches. You can find difficult maps for engine even in commercial games. It is prize for something other in the game. It is strange to have fear of it in OS.
Thanks given by:
1. We can't come up with a better engine if Assaultcube is based off the CUBE 1 engine.

2. Nothing to do with creativity, actually, it breeds it, if you can make a map within the map protections and have it pass and playable by all.

3. The majority of the gamers agree that the map restrictions are for the best anyways. It's there to enforce the prevalence of better maps that aren't @camper or the like. The only thing that's changing is that we're getting rid of the glitch that allows you to bypass maps that normally wouldn't get pass the restrictions. (This is to my understanding, correct me if I'm wrong)

4. I still have fun, and I don't feel fucked.

5. The engine doesn't have much to do with my hardware, for example, I get good FPS on any map that falls under map restrictions 120+, but on an open, laggy map like HS tower, It'll drop to 30-70 in a ton of areas. And why would someone blow 100+ dollars to update or upgrade their hardware so they can play a map like HS city without lag?
Thanks given by:
I invite you all to play a Clan Match in File name: [email protected] File size: 3.34 KB
Note the importance of CLAN MATCH (or reliable companions)...
And comment:

FPS Drop occurred (When):
Graphical issues:
Add you own category here:
Fun had: "If less than over 9000, then dont bother. "
Thanks given by:
FPS Frop occurred: Everywhere, especially looking at other palyers and the walls and open corridor.
GFX Issues: Looks unsightly as a map over all
Thanks given by:
(19 Nov 11, 07:48PM)tempest Wrote: .....Seriously.
+1 hum on second though, no... +10

Thanks given by:
@unbabalanced clients
Do you limit color toolbar because of there exists colorblind people ?

@technical issue
the engine can handle it, it isn't true, the view is just part of memory, only if there is bigger map the rendering new parts of map lows FPS, it is the same with water in map. The recalculating of the view is slower.
Thanks given by:
@ Cleaner. My most recent post was a joke making fun of the 'other side' of the debate. :3
I have two other posts on this thread hugging and kissing the map restrictions, so yeah. <3
Thanks given by:
Don't enjoy playing playing megatowers/@camper maps? Don't play it. Don't like how it's killing your frame rate? Don't play it. There's plenty of populated servers available in the lobby that play official & well optimised custom maps.

Personally, I don't believe in any map restrictions. I feel the decision should be made by players, if somebody decides to call a map vote.
Thanks given by:
(19 Nov 11, 11:09PM)Aekom Wrote: Don't enjoy playing playing megatowers/@camper maps? Don't play it.
Ah, see, that's why the restrictions are so nice -- because it would be much more difficult (i.e., possible once a week or so) to avoid those maps otherwise.

Quote:There's plenty of populated servers available in the lobby that play official & well optimised custom maps.
You are right! All thanks to the map restrictions.
Thanks given by:
(20 Nov 11, 12:59AM)V-Man Wrote: You are right! All thanks to the map restrictions.

I remember seeing plenty of them being played in 1.04 too, though.

I don't enjoy playing megatowers, @campers or any other similar maps myself, but given the fact that there's a high number of people who do, surely there has to be some kind of compromise.
Thanks given by:
Ok ok! :(

Is there away?:

1. to add second ms-server.

2. in gamesetting you could with ease change to a 2nd ms-server that are preconfigured allready, to play on custom maps servers

3. Is this a solution perhaps?

Thanks given by:
then the second masterserver would get too popular for some people's likings
personally i wouldnt bother using the first when I could play all the maps I could play on that and more, and i imagine most other players would do it too. I don't think certain haughty cubers would enjoy only getting to play on their formulaic small-spaced but still laggy maps with the occasional unarmed who hasn't yet discovered the second ms.
Thanks given by:
A second MS is an unneeded waste in my opinion.

Just play maps that fit the map restrictions.

shad, from what I hear, all your maps and those by 40+ are well within those restrictions.
Thanks given by:
(18 Nov 11, 08:14PM)shad-99 Wrote: I heard of Z3ro that you increased maprestriction in next version of AC? -Is that right?

(20 Nov 11, 07:02PM)Mai Mee Tur Wrote: shad, from what I hear, all your maps and those by 40+ are well within those restrictions.

What's with all this "I heard" stuff? Why don't you just get the SVN version and see if your maps still load? That might prove more useful than starting another red apple thread.
Thanks given by:
(20 Nov 11, 07:02PM)Mai Mee Tur Wrote: A second MS is an unneeded waste in my opinion.

Just play maps that fit the map restrictions.

Hate to be captain obvious but it's not an unneeded waste (as a opposed to a needed waste) if you want to play maps that don't fit the restrictions.
Thanks given by:
Then play the maps off MS, simple solution for a simple problem
Thanks given by:
(20 Nov 11, 10:12PM)Mai Mee Tur Wrote: Then play the maps off MS, simple solution for a simple problem!

Thanks given by:
Oh c'mon... more map restriction? really ...
Thanks given by:
@Aekom:
You're right, 1.0.4 is where I got to know and love the official maps. I believe the best compromise I've seen proposed so far was the thread about having map restrictions server-side only.
Thanks given by:
I realize I'm new here, and this might be out of place, but nonetheless.

I feel that it should be up to whomever is running the server to decide which maps they decide to include in their roster/rotation. If the client itself had some sort of a restriction, the creative minds behind mapmaking stand a chance of dying out.

Also, it doesn't seem realistic to ask the devs to change the engine. That would basically be changing the entire game, and not everyone might be able to run it.

I'm assuming there is only so much that this engine can handle. If you, as a creative modder/mapmaker, decide that this engine is too constricting, you can create your own, use another one for a different game, or the like.

*EDIT* My opinion, of course, is invalid if by "map restrictions" one is referring to how restrictive the next release will be in how maps can be designed, and how they can be implemented into the game within the confines of the engine itself.
Thanks given by:
Ultimately it is up to the devs they have worked extremely hard on this game. And if they do not want crappy maps to be played then the players must comply or go play a differant game.
Thanks given by:
(21 Nov 11, 07:45AM)SleepKiller Wrote: Ultimately it is up to the devs they have worked extremely hard on this game. And if they do not want crappy maps to be played then the players must comply or go play a differant game.

Hmm. I must say I agree, actually (despite my previous post). In any game, the devs have the final say of what goes down (though they can, and hopefully do, take input from the community seriously).
Thanks given by:
This thread is all "If's" and "I heard"... Fact is, it hasn't been confirmed that there will be more restrictions, or what sort of measures these will be... (I don't think, anyway. I briefly read over everything.)

These restrictions certainly don't affect anyone who is serious about mapping. These do restrict certain maps, though.

As much as I hate some of the maps the 'wider community' play, I find the best way to solve the solution is ignore those maps. A month ago or so, I made a map edit of TwinTowers, for the pure fact that if they enjoy this gameplay (No matter how terrible it is) they should at least play a map with a bit of quality in.

I have similar views to that of ac_douze, which is official! Again, my solution is to simply ignore it.

I never felt that it was necessary to restrict maps, but I suppose with the MS situation it's necessary. I do though think that the current restrictions are perfect! They could though be done with refining. There are ways to get around such things...
Thanks given by:
I wouldn't say there are more restrictions in the next version, but fixed restrictions. Had they been implemented and functioning properly from the release of 1.1, a lot of "noob" maps wouldn't be getting played on the MS. I don't think the restrictions will ever be removed, /maybe/ tweaked a bit to be more lenient, thats about it.

The cube engine simply was not meant for such maps. The restrictions do not inhibit creativity anyways, as we've seen with some fantastic maps being released since 1.1. In fact, I would say the only thing inhibiting your creativity is your unwillingness to challenge yourself and work around them. Some really cool things can be done with this engine if you put in a bit of effort. (I said "you" a lot in that paragraph, but I'm only generalizing. This isn't directed towards anyone in particular.)

Just IMHO, anyways. Flame on.
Thanks given by:
I think it's great that the map editor in AC is easy enough that anynoob can crank out a map. However, this doesn't mean that I want to play on everynoob's map, or even this noob's map that is pretty good. I am not just against noob maps, either. If the server loads any map that I don't like, official or otherwise, I vote for a new one.

Also: only server side restrictions ftw!
Thanks given by:
F1 for Ezjemville, oldvillage, and Headshot_City :DD!!
Thanks given by:
i will repeat but it is limitation and not addition. It is different. ;)

Quote:Flame on
I think this is exactly one reason why restrictions and why weapon balance changes, fulfill sick reality ... or what ? why i would change something if at least 50% my users liked it ?? why i wouldn't try to communicate with them or develop their interest ...

the restrictions have greater impact than you think, it limits gameplay, it limits possibilities in this game, but if the only one real map here for you is ac_complex, it is really difficult to understand why "no" for restrictions ... at least you could understand it destroyed many maps from previous versions which nobody will repair, try to think why from devs anybody don't care about it, it is basic thing in coding world - compatibility with previous versions ...
Thanks given by:
Compatibility doesn't always hold precedence over improving quality.
Thanks given by:
Compatibility is fact, quality is relative.
Thanks given by:
Improving quality is better than making something compatible
Thanks given by: