Upcoming Release Balance Discussion (SVN)
(03 May 12, 04:40AM)Terran Wrote:
(02 May 12, 03:08AM)RCJD Wrote: But add something better to the AR, even if it's just something small.

Low power scope?
/end sarcasm

It would have to be something aesthetic.

Actually, you can zoom in with your AR using the smoothzoom script.
And you can aesthetically improve your AR with skins and mods.

I did not have any suggestions of my own in mind for the changes to the AR... but as an example:

"OK, AR has less damage and/or bullets to balance the game. At it's not completely scaled down - apparently has 5% less spread."

Something like that.
Thanks given by:
I dislike the smooth zoom script's fairness. :s
Thanks given by:
(03 May 12, 04:40AM)Terran Wrote:
(02 May 12, 03:08AM)RCJD Wrote: But add something better to the AR, even if it's just something small.

Low power scope?

Actually, something occurred to me.

With smoothzoom, the AR spread remains the same. What if it was reduced, like the sniper?

So basically:
***New AR***: "Less damage, Less bullets, but can do a small zoom in for a bit more accuracy."

IDK - go criticize!
Thanks given by:
AR zoom would be really useless imo. You guys are missing to understand the reason why sniper even has zoom (scope). It has the zoom so that you can make sure it hits cause without it the spread is all over the place, unlike the AR which still without zoom you can hit perfectly if aimed right, it would be hell annoying to have to press another button simply to make my fov smaller to have better accuracy with the AR.
Thanks given by:
I am fully aware that the AR zoom would be a poor addition. It was not a serious suggestion. I even marked it as sarcasm. Please read the full post if you intend to respond to it.
Thanks given by:
(06 May 12, 02:08AM)Terran Wrote: I am fully aware that the AR zoom would be a poor addition. It was not a serious suggestion. I even marked it as sarcasm. Please read the full post if you intend to respond to it.
Sorry for my ambiguous post, but I was replying to RCJD's post.
Thanks given by:
dead thread is dead.

make a new one, delete posts that mean nothing.
Thanks given by:
It's not the thread which is the problem xenon, more like the lack of people willing to test the svn, maybe a new thread which allows people to discuss the balance of the svn this would encourage others to test the svn and balance the game for a quicker release.
Thanks given by:
anything to that extent would be better, i mean if your not testing the SVN, you shouldn't really be in this thread? o0
Thanks given by:
hey guys. Why would I waste my time posting in this useless thread anymore. And why would you do it too? Anything you could say here will not change anything.

Only few people want the AR to 15 rounds but unfortunately they do not play assaultcube and they are devs. I am not using AR (so I am rather objective) but I see why you are wrong.

I expressed myself many times here but who give a shit? Not the devs btw!! AR is still 15 rounds. Kevlar is still 100 (back to 50 gogogo).

Some people had good ideas like Jamz or roflcopter. You should give them some attention. Next version will be so easy for smg like me against ar... Disgusting !

/end of my massive rage post kkkk
Thanks given by:
kkkkkkkkkkk

new thread
Thanks given by:
There's no point in making a new thread; it would only go the same way as this one.
Xenon, you're right to say that there's no point trying to contribute to a thread about upcoming release weapon balance if you're not actually playing with the SVN code. I understand that this isn't a simple task for most players, and that's why I'd like to see a beta release for testing, to open it up to a wider audience. However, there is an issue with the anti-cheat code and weapon values that needs to be addressed first; there's no point issuing a beta which doesn't play like the final release, so, please, bear with us while we take several years to get our house in order.
I can't promise it will be soon. I can't even promise it will happen at all. But I can promise that as long as you are all prepared to wait, and help when help is required, the game will not die.
Thanks given by:
(12 May 12, 01:59PM)jamz Wrote: I can't even promise it will happen at all.
o_e

jamz, can you consider putting up poll threads on the topics that are holding up this release? There seem to be a few builds of each gun that have been heavily supported in this thread. If you put up polls with 3-4 different changes to the current 1104/or svn versions of the weapons, the people will choose, and a dev can whip in the numbers and such quickly. Instead of a 1000 page brainstorm like this. Force a decision from the community and make them pay the consequences if they fail. :)

Then maybe a thread of "take out anti-cheat vs. help Brahma fix anti-cheat"
Thanks given by:
(12 May 12, 01:59PM)jamz Wrote: so, please, bear with us while we take several years to get our house in order.

but but

jamz ._.
Thanks given by:
Upcoming Release Balance Discussion (SVN)
18 Jan 11, 07:35AM

17 May 12 11:47PM

We have dicussed balance for over a year...
Thanks given by:
Yet as stated above, there's not a lot of people playin with the SVN, there's quite a lot of people like me, who dont even know how to code the SVN.

Im really hoping for a new release like a lot of us. This is game takes a lot of ward work and time from the dev team, and if you remember the devs do this for free. There's no point in bitching about it when all the people that "work" for this game do it for the love of doing it, and if you add that most of the players don't even know about the forums it's even harder to try and test every one of this ideas.
Thanks given by:
(12 May 12, 04:46PM)Xenon Wrote: Upcoming Release Balance Discussion (SVN)
18 Jan 11, 07:35AM

17 May 12 11:47PM

We have dicussed balance for over a year...
Nice work, Detective!
Thanks given by:
When I (sadly) had to drop my involvement with this project at the end of 2011 the only thing really required to get a release out were a few selected values for the new shotgun code. After some initial values from makkE, who left shortly before I did, and some dilligent testing and commendable feedback from a few choice community members (you folks know who you are - but most kudos to Ronald_Reagan for making it happen) there was no real concensus on the values. Here's the table I created from what RR posted:
/-------------------------------------------------------\
|      VALUE | DEF |  #1 |  #2 |  #3 |  #4 |  #5 | D->5 |
|------------+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+------|
| SGDMGTOTAL |  88 |  95 |  95 |  95 |  95 |  95 | +  7 |
|    SGCCdmg | 500 | 495 | 495 | 490 | 480 | 470 | - 30 |
|    SGCMdmg | 325 | 325 | 325 | 330 | 335 | 338 | + 13 |
|    SGCOdmg | 175 | 180 | 180 | 180 | 185 | 191 | + 16 |
| SGDMGDISTB |  50 |  50 |  50 |  50 |  50 |  50 |    0 |
| SGDMGBONUS |  62 |  62 |  62 |  62 |  62 |  62 |    0 |
|   SGCCbase |   0 |   0 |   0 |   0 |   0 |   0 |    0 |
|  SGCCrange |  45 |  45 |  50 |  50 |  50 |  53 | +  8 |
|   SGCMbase |  25 |  25 |  25 |  33 |  33 |  33 | +  8 |
|  SGCMrange |  60 |  60 |  60 |  64 |  64 |  64 | +  4 |
|   SGCObase |  50 |  55 |  55 |  57 |  57 |  57 | +  7 |
|  SGCOrange |  75 |  82 |  82 |  84 |  84 |  84 | +  9 |
\-------------------------------------------------------/
DEF is (was?) the default, meaning makkE's values. #1 to #5 were the consecutive tweaks Ronald_Reagan and his collaborators produced. The last column is the difference from DEF to #5.
Oh .. in case it's no longer being advertised: the WiP-Shotgun-Stuff is @ pastebin:WiP-AC-Shotgun .. not the most user-friendly, but if you really want to help ;-)
Thanks given by:
And it would be worth linking to the most recent suggested values, which haven't gotten a ton of notice: http://forum.cubers.net/thread-2074-post...l#pid89334
Thanks given by:
I put it onto the pastebin post, I even updated it with a few "Usage"-notes .. but probably someone not as familiar with the code should suggest some clarifications/rephrasing!! ;-P
Thanks given by:
New Mac build

Please tell me if you cannot run this. If it fails for you, try going into windowed mode at startup (there is a checkbox for this) and send me your OSX version (ie 10.6, 10.5).

Otherwise, enjoy.

Flow, can we have a link to this pastebin?
Thanks given by:
Just take shotgun out of game, in EVERY game their will be 1 gun that is underpowered or overpowered, to balance the shotgun perfectly it'd take 4 years.
Thanks given by:
Link was in my post above - here it is again: pastebin: Shotgun-Testing - to be clear: the protocol-ID is unchanged, but still it requires that a server of this "mod" is used, otherwise protocol failure will cause disconnect, not to mention the features/functions won't work. Use it as a client testing enviroment (with (idle)bots), then possibly organize a network/multiplayer on a non-public server. Thank You!
Thanks given by:
I know this thread is about balance, but this is indirectly related. I have a hard time with my sniper more because of one simple damn thing. I can't hear when I chamber another round :( It would be nice to have a bolt sliding/round chambering sound that accurately informs me when my rifle is again ready to fire. I think this is probably a simple edit with audacity for me, so I am going to make the sound... (from opensource audio ;) for myself. If anyone else wants it I will link them.

EDIT** since it was such a minor task, I went ahead and made an alternative sniper sound. The original sound for sniper is still used, only with the re-chambering of a round added.

Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?w15eekb1j4n9zg7
Thanks given by:
I tried ur sound.. But the problem is u here every sniper now shooting really loud. I got the feeling someone was behind me shooting everytime.. So that's why I shouldn't use ur sound. But if u can fix that: the idea is good. (although I normally count (feeling) which works fine too..)
Thanks given by:
The problem is probably because the sound is stereo instead of mono.
Thanks given by:
Yep, it was in stereo. The game will only alter the sound correctly with regards to distance if it is in mono. To correct this in audacity, simple click the track name and select 'split stereo to mono' from the dropdown, delete one of the resulting tracks, and export it. Since I already had it open, I took the liberty of correcting it.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13110746/sniper.ogg
Thanks given by:
(22 May 12, 11:30PM)Lantry Wrote: Yep, it was in stereo. The game will only alter the sound correctly with regards to distance if it is in mono. To correct this in audacity, simple click the track name and select 'split stereo to mono' from the dropdown, delete one of the resulting tracks, and export it. Since I already had it open, I took the liberty of correcting it.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13110746/sniper.ogg

Ah, thx for the info, and the correction. :D

*EDIT* lol works great, i just popped into a server and went 15-0 just to test it. Sweetness. Helps me out alot thx again for the help Lantry!
Thanks given by:
IMHO there needs to be a tad bit less "silence" before the re-chambering sound starts, as the sound itself is a bit too long overall (you can fire another round before the sound is fully done playing - it is almost "close enough" though)

:)
Thanks given by:
Well I didnt think it completely accurate, I had to edit the file like 15 times by opening AC and testing it manually, making tiny time adjustments and re-exporting it to get it were it is. Any ideas as to how to time it more exact? Its still better than not having the sound at all, but I want it to be right too.
Thanks given by: