Semantic Request
Let's call cheaters "cheaters" and avoid glamorizing them with the more powerful-sounding term "hackers." If someone is creating unauthorized clients, call that person a hacker. But none of the cheaters I've run into have enough spine, skill, or guts to be called hackers. They're merely using the (probably tiny) work of a hacker somewhere.
Yes, I know you mean that the person is "using a hack," but it still probably makes them feel all 1337, and we don't need to encourage that.
Edit: Just saw this, thanks to a_slow_old_man for summing it up succinctly!
Thanks given by:
slow man summed it up nicely, but I consider cheaters to be script kiddies (hehe, not the best term for a cubescript geek like yerself eh, V? :p), no time, effort, or skill is put into their cheating, they just punch a few keywords into a search engine and go surfing around.

Hackers *usually* rely on script kiddies to actually use the cheats they develop - therefore referring to a cheater as a hacker is entirely wrong. I know this will irritate Mael, I know how much he likes made up statistics (:p) but I'd say a good 98% of all cheaters in AC are script kiddies.

It's the other 2% that we need to stop, IMO.
Thanks given by:
:/ I know... "Script kiddie" sounds like a good term for you and me! But alas, it's not what the truly 1337 mean by it. Maybe we should call ourselves something like
"CubeScriptorians"
LOL
Thanks given by:
I just call them n00bs :P

well, yes you´re right, hackers do the work, cheaters are the users
Thanks given by:
Script kiddie is always good. Or, "NOOB CHEATER WHO DOWNLOADS CRAP TRAINERS THAT MESS WITH THE MEMORY OF AN OPEN SOURCE GAME".
Thanks given by:
Isn't it ironic that the front man of OpenSource, Eric S. Raymond is a hacker?
Thanks given by:
Perfectly poetic, IMO.
Thanks given by:
If someone is creating unauthorized clients, call that person a cracker! hacker is brahma or alien
Thanks given by:
MacAdresS... please... if you will not add, at least do not subtract
Thanks given by:
I'm sure he means White hat.
Thanks given by:
Originating in MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology), the Jargon File defines hackers as

Quote:A person who enjoys exploring the details of programmable systems and stretching their capabilities, as opposed to most users, who prefer to learn only the minimum necessary.

Read this and you'll understand hacker in such terms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacker_(pro...ubculture)

The reason why it is so closely related to Open Source because most of the OSS culture originated from MIT, UC Berkeley and Carnegie Mellon.
Thanks given by:
I do not have this kind of hat... this is what I meant.
Thanks given by:
:O
Brahma... You're...
BLACK HAT?!?!
lulz
Thanks given by:
No hats! :@
Thanks given by: