Ehh Stuff
I put this in the off topic section even though its about assault cube because i wasn't sure where to put it.

A couple days ago I ran across a player with a name of God_isn't_Real or something like that. Me being a christian, I asked him to change it, because it offended me. But he said he had the right to voice his views. Which I understand, but is AssaultCube really a place to voice your religious views? What are your thoughts on this?
Thanks given by:
Imo, AC is not the right place to voice our beliefs... but I saw all kind of views being expressed in game. This is even more complicated because we have players of very different ages (from 10 to 50)... so, it is difficult to discuss in the same level with them all.

The only thing we can do is to ban those who express it with ignorance or targeting specific groups.

Since god is a concept greater than any religion, and affects no culture or group in special, I think you should not be offended so much about this.
It would be different if he was targeting Jesus, or Moses, or Muhammad, or Buddha... in this case, imo, he would deserve a blacklist.
Thanks given by:
Very well voiced Brahma.
I agree entirely.
Thanks given by:
It's not so much offended I probably used the wrong words but I think you get what I mean. It
Idk I've seen a name like KillDaJews I think it was, should that be blacklisted?
Thanks given by:
Yes, that time of name is completely unacceptable.
There is 0 tolerance for racism. If you see someone with that name again, feel free to post in the blacklist.
Thanks given by:
Dial 1-800 take game too seriously when you whine about stupid things like other player's nicknames. Man up and get some self confidence. No more "Oh noes he just insulted me on da internetz!! OhNoEs!! OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!!!"
Thanks given by:
Everyone has the right to voice there own views where ever they want imo. Unless I don't agree with it, in which case it is completely unacceptable.
Thanks given by:
This is more than just insulting someone personally, MorganKell.
And I don't care if someone uses an offensive name in AC or anywhere else, racist and other types of highly offensive names are simply unacceptable. Unless, of course, you are saying racism is ok.
Thanks given by:
Agreed.
If we control this communication tool, we are responsible for its content.

If someone go into the game, and use a nick "Brazilians_are_cheaters", I would get offended, but I would not care (it is a matter of maturity here)... anyway, such a guy would be spreading intolerance and the AC maintainers are responsible to control this.
Thanks given by:
(13 Oct 10, 05:29AM)ImaCripple Wrote: I put this in the off topic section even though its about assault cube because i wasn't sure where to put it.

A couple days ago I ran across a player with a name of God_isn't_Real or something like that. Me being a christian, I asked him to change it, because it offended me. But he said he had the right to voice his views. Which I understand, but is AssaultCube really a place to voice your religious views? What are your thoughts on this?
Dude, you and religion people offend us (atheists) when you say God is real. I have seen tons of people wearing pro-religion nicknames in AC, but I have never asked them to change them because I don't believe in that stuff. Now you should do the same, IMHO.
Thanks given by:
Do I offend someone if I say that Chewbacca isn´t real? (even if I wish he would be real ^^) Seriously, it´s not offending.
Thanks given by:
OK dude.
Stop your trolling. Of course Chewbacca is real.

Speaking of trolls, that's all it means when someone has a religiously-charged nickname. All they want is to get a reaction and stir the pot. You're better off ignoring the nickname.

Now... If someone starts being hostile and targeting religions (including atheism) in the game chat, that's disruptive of the game and should stop. It has nothing to do with gameplay, and everything to do with disrupting it. Take it to IRC if you really want to hash out a debate.
Thanks given by:
(13 Oct 10, 05:32PM)Brahma Wrote: If someone go into the game, and use a nick "Brazilians_are_cheaters", I would get offended, but I would not care (it is a matter of maturity here)... anyway, such a guy would be spreading intolerance and the AC maintainers are responsible to control this.

Technically that guy is correct. The majority of Brazilians are hacker extraordinaires. He's just playing based on a reality. I love Brazilians personally, was range banned by frit0 in .93, and I believe there is some good in everyone. However the truth is that Brazil is the world's foremost manufacturer of hacks. As for one making the dev team, I'd say that was a cool move, minus the fact that you blacklisted a totally innocent player, coercion or not. Either way, it's all just a shimmy.

As for you Zarj, those Illuminati signs keep reappearing. I am saddened that your utter lack of Mod skills has been allowed to grace the forums, and that your zeal for change is corrupted by an inescapable amount of ignorance. But it is alright. I won't be around to trouble you all much longer anyways. So have fun guys. Hopefully you can teach Stalineska some awesomeness. If not ah well... it's a shimmy.
Thanks given by:
omg, Morgan.... the majority of Brazilians are NOT cheaters (i do not know any hacker here)...

The problem is that my culture is weird when you are able to get some advantage ("shame is not to steal... shame is to steal and not be able to carry it" -- common brazilian quote). So I believe there are many players that play AC just because they are able to download a cheat client. But these douches do not represent the majority of the brazilian players. I am really shocked by your statement.
Thanks given by:
I'm aware this is getting off topic, but I don't think the problem is that Brazilians are the one that hack the most, but more like most of AC's players are from Brazil, which really tells you something.
Thanks given by:
This is my argument (subtle argument): there are more brazilian players because they found an advantage in playing AC in relation to other games. The advantage can be any of these:
1) it is free/fun game
2) it is easy to find cheats
3) run in old machines

The three reasons fit the brazilian wishes/necessities:
1) have no money/will to spend in a game
2) want to get advantages at all costs
3) has a crappy machine

But say the majority of brazilians are cheaters, it is pretty unfair with all honest brazilian players, which imo are the majority.
Thanks given by:
Well Brahma you must take into account that I came up in .93, and whatever the truth may be, the majority of hacks we saw were Brazilian. Maybe that's biased me a little towards Brazil, but hey... can't help it.
Thanks given by:
Politics aside (things like freedom of speech, etc), the question of whether a name such as "God_isn't_Real" should be viewed with tolerance or not, is considerably more complicated than one may think.

For example, if someone's name is "I_Love_Buddha", he would not be blacklisted. He is merely expressing his religious belief and his love for Buddha. In such a case, almost everyone would find it acceptable.

Interestingly, a name such as "Dawkins_is_Awesome" would likely draw no offense either. This is because it is a 'positive' statement rather than a 'negative' one.

People are more offended about negativities than positives (eg, you can say "Allah sucks" and people will be offended, but say "Vishnu is awesome" and no one would really mind, or "Asians pwn" and "Asians suck" with the latter drawing some controversy). Why? Because when it is 'positive', it does not seem targeted, and it probably is not.

But, a name like "God_isn't_Real" is not positive or negative. The simple fact that it does not appear positive (it is not saying "ILOVEATHEISM") leads people to believe it is negative, and therefore feel offended. The reality is that it is a neutral statement. It does not support atheism and does not denounce religion--and therefore, not deserving of being blacklisted or kicked.
Thanks given by:
I laughed when I read this...Is this really up for discussion?
I've been a Christian my entire life and I'm not even remotely offended by something like "God_isn't_real", is that all it takes to throw some people off?

ImaCripple is just crying for the sake of crying, I can't see anything more to this. Please don't make it look like us Christians get "offended" by such measly things, grow up.

Pity those who don't believe, pray for them if you must but you don't need to voice your anger towards such people and complain...that isn't very Christian at all. Get over it, there are more important things God has set out for you.

Thanks given by:
Let me guess, Morgan... the majority of the brazilian cheaters coincidentally are from the 201.9 range, right?
(do not use the word hacker)
Thanks given by:
AMEN Stupefy!!!!
Thanks given by:
Just wait a second here.

Saying that god does not exsist is an offense? Are we back to the dark ages again??

Seriously: I have nothing against christians, but they have to accept other people's views too, as simple as that.

If they get offended by someone stating that he believes that god does not exsist and demands this to be taken back, that is highly intolerant on their part.

ImaCripple: I seriously can not understand this. You believe that god does exsist, another guy believes it's not so and states it. Where is the problem? Is everyone to state that god exsist, or keep silent about his atheism, just because YOU believe in god?

Isn't superbia/pride/arrogance a sin in your belief?
Thanks given by:
The whole point wasn't about me, it was about showing your religious vies on AC, which I think you shouldn't. I wrote earlier I wasn't offended, I used the wrong terms. But it's just the feeling like if someone walked up to me on the street and said "God is not real" I would say yes he is, I know how atheists feel, I just don't think religious names are good. Like I said, it's not about me.
Thanks given by:
I personally am not affiliated with any religion, but I do cringe when I see possibly offensive names online. These are the names only made to offend. Though they might not offend me, I do find it extremely disrespectful.
Thanks given by:
P.C crap getting out of hand in the world today, cause if someone can break you with words.........

Get a Helmet

"Me being a christian,is AssaultCube really a place to voice your religious views?"

/obvioustroll
Thanks given by:
There are good hackers and there are bad hackers. I will use any word I want. As for 201.9 range is that your IP or mine or wut? Way to crush the olive branch...
Thanks given by:
ImaCripple, if it isn't about you, why do you care at all?

Seriously, pointless thread, starting from the fact that it's about religion.
Thanks given by:
(15 Oct 10, 09:04AM)Andrez Wrote: ImaCripple, if it isn't about you, why do you care at all?
Caring only if it was about him would imply that he only cares about himself. Obviously he doesn't (he would be a bit silly if he did, anyway).
Thanks given by:
What I want to say, Morgan, it is all 201.9 cheaters are just one guy.
You are misinterpreting many cheaters by few cheaters in dynamic ip ranges.

Why do you use "hack" if all that these guys did was to download some client in the internet? This does not need any "hack" skill.
Thanks given by:
I don't think this thread is pointless at all.
ImaCripple is expressing his concern over what in-game names are acceptable and which are not. He has a valid point. Some names are blatantly unacceptable, with others it is harder to tell. I think there is a large "gray area" here of names (and things that people can say in-game) that may be highly offensive to some people, and not to others.
Ultimately, for this gray area, it comes down to server owners deciding what to do. I think this is worth discussing.
Thanks given by: