Maprot minimum?
I was just told that a server can get banned for having only one map in it's maprot. It this true? If so, how many must there be?
I used to use a server which was like this (for months) and loved it! It was almost always in use, it seemed!
Thanks given by:
Let me guess...douze 24/7?
Thanks given by:
(25 Mar 12, 02:13AM)ShadowFlameZ Wrote: Let me guess...douze 24/7?

Not even close! ;)
HeadShotCity_003 CTF Monday-Saturday
Thanks given by:
At least have the courtesy to add official maps to rot.
Thanks given by:
(25 Mar 12, 02:20AM)IBiteBack Wrote:
Not even close! ;)
Right, right.
How could I forget? :P
Thanks given by:
(25 Mar 12, 02:20AM)IBiteBack Wrote:

Not even close! ;)

erm...that aint much better dude...lol

tbh i only have three maps on mine. all of them are "shit maps" but i give myself an excuse because these maps are old :P

even three maps is kinda cutting it though. i'm not going to keep that single maprot for long. if you want a lot of traffic on your server, you're gonna have to provide maps people want to play. no one wants to play HeadShotCity_003 24/5
(25 Mar 12, 03:14AM)DES|OpenSource Wrote: At least have the courtesy to add official maps to rot.

i lol'd at "have the courtesy"

iBiteBack, OS has a valid point. you will see more server traffic from more-skilled players if you host a server with official maps
Thanks given by:
I added this text to the server documentation a little while ago. It's online, but not in the current release docs.
Quote:...Do not use the maprot file to force the same map or mode repeatedly. Servers with map rotations containing less than two different maps (or three if they are all the same mode) may be removed from the public server list...
That's the only restriction that I impose when I'm removing a server on the basis of its maprot.
Whilst running the server with the default maprot is the easiest/safest option, I would prefer to see more servers running maprots with non-official maps, but this is just my personal opinion.
Thanks given by:
Maprots should have a even number of both official and non-official maps.
Thanks given by:
No HeadShotCity_003 on the Sabbath?
Thanks given by:
Server owners should have whichever maps they want in their maprots.
Thanks given by:
(25 Mar 12, 03:14AM)DES|OpenSource Wrote: At least have the courtesy to add official maps to rot.

...why?
If the people on the server are just going to keep voting "HeadShotCity_003 CTF" as soon as the match ends, why bother putting those other maps on there at all? If they came to play one map/mode over and over again, that's what they'll do. If it's easier for them to do so (i.e. not having to vote because there is only one map) then they will have a better time playing. No, nobody's going to quit because they have to vote for the map at the end of the round, but the little things DO count.

I recognize that it's the dev's right to prune the masterserver as they see fit, I just don't see the reason for doing so. I think there are better solutions to the problem they see here. Off the top of my head: better server list filtering, an official GEMA mode (so users who don't want it can hide it), and instead of blocking servers from running maps outside the restrictions, have the server simply check if the map fits the restrictions and then have it in the server's info if it is running a "legal" map or not (again, so users can filter them out). The filtering options could even be set to the maximum by default.

Also: map restrictions server side only, for reasons I have enumerated before.
Thanks given by:
If you want to make server you have to make it good because there are about 20-30 servers played on each day and the rest of the 300 servers are waisting their owners money, memory and/or time.
Thanks given by:
(26 Mar 12, 08:37PM)al3rt Wrote: If you want to make server you have to make it good because there are about 20-30 servers played on each day and the rest of the 300 servers are waisting their owners money, memory and/or time.

20-30 servers? May I ask where you got this info from? If one wants to make the most shitty server seen he should be allowed to make the most shitty server seen. Rules on which maps you're allowed to have in your maprot? Dafuq.
Thanks given by:
(26 Mar 12, 08:42PM)RealViking Wrote: If one wants to make the most shitty server seen he should be allowed to make the most shitty server seen.

true dat...
Thanks given by:
(26 Mar 12, 08:37PM)al3rt Wrote: If you want to make server you have to make it good
I agree that a large portion of the servers are mostly untouched.
However, what qualifies as "good" is up to anyone really. For some of the experienced people in the game, the ladder servers (namely TyD and BoB) have "good" maprots. The less experienced like these 24/7 servers, like for douze or headshotcity, while others like their own variety of custom maps n GEMAs n stuff. The maprots on these servers are also considered "good" to some, but "shitty" to others.
So yeah, I agree with fredrik (I think).
Thanks given by:
(27 Mar 12, 01:15AM)MerCyKiL Wrote:
(26 Mar 12, 08:42PM)RealViking Wrote: If one wants to make the most shitty server seen he should be allowed to make the most shitty server seen.

true dat...

This is the same debate as whether there should be map restrictions. Where that has ended up is: regardless of what some people (maybe even most) want, the devs can do as they wish with their game.
Thanks given by:
(26 Mar 12, 08:42PM)RealViking Wrote: 20-30 servers? May I ask where you got this info from? If one wants to make the most shitty server seen he should be allowed to make the most shitty server seen. Rules on which maps you're allowed to have in your maprot? Dafuq.

I'm not sure what you're actually refering to here. This thread is about the amount of entries which should be added to a map rotation file. Jamz already told above, the only rule about this is adding at least two entries.

No need to to rant about whatever just crossed your mind.

Thanks given by:
(25 Mar 12, 05:32PM)Mael Wrote: No HeadShotCity_003 on the Sabbath?

No. I shut down my servers for Sunday.
[/quote]
iBiteBack, OS has a valid point. you will see more server traffic from more-skilled players if you host a server with official maps
[/quote]

I know, but HeadShotCity_003 CTF is fairly popular, and many |UF| members like it. If I can run this along with out regular servers, that would be nice. I did this for a little while before someone told me that I should not, and you know what? That server was full for almost all of the time it was running. I had a difficult time getting in to play myself!
Ok, well thank you all for the info. I have added a few more maps to my maprot to satisfy this requirement. We'll have to be satisfied with this.
Thanks given by:
(27 Mar 12, 10:44PM)IBiteBack Wrote: That server was full for almost all of the time it was running. I had a difficult time getting in to play myself!

You kind of lack of imagination. Here is a bitch way :
1. Stop your server
2. Restart it
3. Connect to it
4. Wait for people to come back

^^

Thanks given by:
I don't like dumping players. Besides, a server which drops playes frequently will be trusted and used less.
Thanks given by:
(30 Mar 12, 09:23PM)IBiteBack Wrote: I don't like dumping players. Besides, a server which drops playes frequently will be trusted and used less.

It was an attempt to make a joke. Seems like I failed :D
Thanks given by:
I don't think many people care, I run the standard maprot but from experience everyone who joins votes what the hell they want anyway. Although you get that odd player every now and then how never votes, never speaks, just plays the maps that come up with whoever joins and soon leaves. Enigmatic characters.
Thanks given by:
(29 Mar 12, 10:24PM)LySioS Wrote: You kind of lack of imagination. Here is a bitch way :
1. Stop your server
2. Restart it
3. Connect to it
4. Wait for people to come back

Best way to kill a server is /mastermode 1

Then you only have a net loss.
Thanks given by:
dust2-24/7 at least gave you a decent game.
Thanks given by: