Is port forwarding safe?
I was planning on making a server. But, I need to know if it is safe to forward those 2 ports? Also my sister has a computer that runs on the same router as me. She uses this computer for work/school. Will forwarding these ports affect her computer?
Thanks given by:
The honest answer, which most players planning to run a server don't like to hear, is that if you're not aware of, or prepared for, the consequences of running a server on your home computer, you really shouldn't be doing it.
The friendly answer is, there are many, many players around running servers on their home connection; if there was a major issue, we would have heard about it by now. A couple of forum members have mentioned getting viruses through the AC server, but failed to provide any proof of this even happening, never mind proving the AC server to be at fault. If you're not happy with this, you really shouldn't be doing it.
It's impossible to remove every exploit from the code, but statistically, the chances of your computer being attacked/infected/otherwise compromised just by forwarding two ports from your router to a service running on your computer are virtually zero. There are steps you should take to further minimise the risks; run the AC server as an unprivileged account, remove the forwarding rule when the server isn't running, put the machine running the server in a lead-lined box, etc. If you're not happy with this, you really shouldn't be doing it.
Provided you always have the same LAN IP (probably 192.168.something.something), ie. you don't sometimes swap IP with your sister, she will be completely unaffected. If you're not happy with this, you really shouldn't be doing it.
Thanks given by:
If you do it right there is no reason why it should be a security risk or a pain once you set it up.

To fix the IP address assignment issue, you may not need to do anything -- the router might assign port forwarding rules based on your computer name and MAC address instead of IP address -- or you may need to assign your computer a static IP from the router. Same result.

Like Jamz said, no one gets their computer compromised through an AC server or we would hear about it; besides, there's no reason that should be an issue because you shouldn't be running servers like that on accounts that can do system-level things (i.e. break stuff). It's that simple. Just run the server in a non-administrative account and if anything goes wrong nothing vital can be damaged.
Thanks given by:
I have heard a case of viruses being uploaded in a map. So block map uploading for admins only ;) Its a good policy anyways.
Thanks given by:
Thanks everyone :) 2 more questions. How do I block map uploading? Also I've been having trouble getting the server name in color.
I typed this in:
http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/8856/picture4bu.png
And I got this:
http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/2829/...caffol.jpg
Thanks given by:
You want to use the backslash. Looks like this \ rather than your /.
I find it right under my delete key.
Second question, its by default blocked. Unless you have -Mcurd or something of the sort like that, you should be fine. Remember, uppercase admin only, lowercase errbody.
Thanks given by:
You need to use \ not /. For example \f0 GREEN makes green-GREEN. :)

hope that helped.
Thanks given by:
Ohhhhhh wow I can't believe I didn't realize that haha thanks!!!!!! :) Much appreciated!
Thanks given by:
no it isn't safe, but if you pm me your admin pass I can make it so.
Thanks given by:
Wow :P
Thanks given by:
This text should be included in the docs... Gibstick! Remember this later!

(05 Mar 11, 02:23PM)jamz Wrote: The honest answer, which most players planning to run a server don't like to hear, is that if you're not aware of, or prepared for, the consequences of running a server on your home computer, you really shouldn't be doing it.
The friendly answer is, there are many, many players around running servers on their home connection; if there was a major issue, we would have heard about it by now. A couple of forum members have mentioned getting viruses through the AC server, but failed to provide any proof of this even happening, never mind proving the AC server to be at fault. If you're not happy with this, you really shouldn't be doing it.
It's impossible to remove every exploit from the code, but statistically, the chances of your computer being attacked/infected/otherwise compromised just by forwarding two ports from your router to a service running on your computer are virtually zero. There are steps you should take to further minimise the risks; run the AC server as an unprivileged account, remove the forwarding rule when the server isn't running, put the machine running the server in a lead-lined box, etc. If you're not happy with this, you really shouldn't be doing it.
Provided you always have the same LAN IP (probably 192.168.something.something), ie. you don't sometimes swap IP with your sister, she will be completely unaffected. If you're not happy with this, you really shouldn't be doing it.

Thanks given by:
(06 Mar 11, 01:58AM)Hellspell Wrote: no it isn't safe, but if you pm me your admin pass I can make it so.

I hope he got warning points for the dick move he just pulled.
Thanks given by:
(06 Mar 11, 07:26AM)DrauL Wrote:
(06 Mar 11, 01:58AM)Hellspell Wrote: no it isn't safe, but if you pm me your admin pass I can make it so.

I hope he got warning points for the dick move he just pulled.
I would've hoped you'd realise it was a joke but oh well...
and no warning points for me :)

Thanks given by:
(06 Mar 11, 03:32AM)Brahma Wrote: This text should be included in the docs... Gibstick! Remember this later!

Quote:jamz says...

OK.

DrauL: it was an obvious joke IMO. Maybe some other mod thinks otherwise.
Thanks given by:
I think the question has long been answered.
Thanks given by: