So sad to hear. Your thoughts?
Thanks given by:
rip
Thanks given by:
RIP Neil Armstrong :( its sad that he died
Thanks given by:
RIP but oh well, shit happens.
Thanks given by:
Very brave getting on the earlier rockets.
Thanks given by:
Liar since 1969. RIP anyway. :(
Thanks given by:
Inspired a generation.
Shame NASA's a shadow of its former self (even with Curiosity and whatnot, Armstrong had hoped that by now we'd have a man on Mars).
Thanks given by:
[Image: YNXw]
from less than an hour after it was posted on 4chan
Thanks given by:
Adding to Habluka's post:

[Image: tumblr_m9c1qqCV1H1r13a36o1_500.png]
Thanks given by:
[Image: tumblr_m7oq5k17pY1r3084q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
[Image: iLDSkl.png]
Thanks given by:
:|.
Thanks given by:
paul... just no, no.
Thanks given by:
The estimated under-5 mortality for sub-Saharan Africa is 148 per
1 000 live births: that is 6 million children per year, 16 000 per day,
one child every five seconds...(*) mostly due to communicable
diseases.
FUCK NEIL AMSTRONG, ok?
*http://www.unicef.org/sowc09/report/report.php

Mod edit: Calm down please. No need to spoil this thread just because you don't care personally.

10+ points.
Thanks given by:
Yes and if you're going to think of that every time a celebrity dies you're just going to feel depressed. Depressed + drugs makes a lovely combo.
But seriously, can't you put aside your self-righteous (and sometimes ill-placed) humanitarianism to at least appreciate what this guy did? He was a hero to many in his time. Think about that.
Thanks given by:
(26 Aug 12, 05:48PM)#M|A#Wolf Wrote: paul... just no, no.

yes

edit: also, for the record, I'm pretty sure Neil Armstrong contributed far more than what thousands of random starving children in sub-Saharan Africa could
Thanks given by:
(26 Aug 12, 06:41PM)Habluka Wrote: edit: also, for the record, I'm pretty sure Neil Armstrong contributed far more than what thousands of random starving children in sub-Saharan Africa could
Sad/Harsh, but true. Though it could be argued that their potential for contribution was stunted by their unfortunate condition, thus making that comparison irrelevant. Anywho.
Thanks given by:
Please Flami.
At least, think. Use your brains. Try to make sense. Develop your intelligence. Concentrate. Acquire knowledge. Illuminate your inner self.
But dont quote such a thing, and add such a retarded comment, cause, if something, it just shows how little thought you give over what a human being is. Strange thing, considering that you are one...
A death of a former Astronaut, who got everything he wanted, that only affects truthfully his closer relatives, and people come say rest in peace.
But that 6000 kids die a day out of starvation, disease, murder, and worse... nah, Paul is crazy and takes drugs and doesnt appreciate what this guy did... LOL
And Habluka, I know you have a humor thing going on, so Ill pass that comment as a troll, please refrain of such comments, cause look what it does to adolescents, they follow after, and its truly a shame... But if you really think what you wrote, I hope you, your children, family, relatives and friends, come close to starvation in your lifetime, so we will see how you laugh then.
Thanks given by:
You reallllly need to calm down, man.
You act all self-righteous, talking about caring for the poor and hungry, then wish unnecessary ill-will upon another. Lovely.
Thanks given by:
Ok here we go!

First let me say RIP Neil Armstrong, we have lost a great individual today and his loss will be felt worldwide.

Now to answer the Paul post...

Space technology has helped bring hundreds of thousands out of starvation, many owe their sight to advances made during the Apollo programes and following programes. Neil Armstrong was not only a major part of the Apollo programe as an astronaught but also as a trainer/teacher and a flight director, he also worked on susiquent missions providing valued technical input (yes he was an engineer as well as a hell of a pilot). The work he has done along with others has resulted in many technology advances that have saved many thousands if not hundreds of thousands of lives, please see below for highlights;

Firefighting Equipment

Apollo technology has been used to produce a lighter breathing system for firefighters. The new system weighs about 20 pounds (9 kg) and has a mask with greater peripheral vision.
Directly saving lives everyday!

Firefighting Strategy

European Space Agency satellites will provide information on fire locations. This can be used to help develop firefighting strategy. This program has been tested and is scheduled to begin use in 2000.
This has been used to fight dangerous forest fires all over the world from America to the Congo and Austrailia

Vision Research

Landstat and Skylab technology is used to check the human eye for refractive error and cornea or lens obstruction.
This technology is used in the developing world to prevent sight loss, I have no figures on how many this has helped but reasonable estimates put it in the hundreds of thousands.

Global Positioning Satellites

Satellites orbiting the Earth, Earth monitoring stations, and navigation receivers provide accurate positioning for ships, ground vehicles, airplanes and hand-held use. This technology has both military and non-military uses.
This technology has been used by aid agencies all over the world to provide quick and effective relief in difficult conditions.

Cordless Tools

A handheld drill developed by Black & Decker and NASA for moon soil samples has been modified for use in a line of cordless tools. This cordless technology is now used in building construction, home handyman areas, gardening, and the operating room.

These cordless tools are used in construction projects all over the developing world they are favoured because one or two chargers can be used by multiple tools saving many dollars which is spent instead providing building materials.

Active Pixel Sensor

This improved image technology requires less power, is less expensive and is smaller than previous technology. It has provided better images for camcorders, digital cameras, night vision and x-rays.

Camcorders and cameras using this technology have given a voice to opressed peoples all over the world.

Ventricular Assist Device - DeBakey Blood Pump

Using Space Shuttle turbine technology, a small blood pump has been developed. It can by used temporarily until a heart transplant is available or used to help pump blood while an injured heart repairs itself. It might also have potential as a permanent implant.
This speaks for itself.

Scratch Resistant Lenses

Combining NASA space helmet visor technology with Foster Grant’s internal research, scratch resistant lenses are available for sunglasses and prescription lenses.
These lenses are particularly usefull in africa where normal lenses are easily scratched, they are provided as standard by many charities providing free glasses in the developing world and have prevented the reisuing of glasses because of damage meaning more people can be helped.

Tsunami Tracking

A satellite circling the Earth receives transmissions from undersea detectors. It provides accurate information on tsunami size and strength.
The tracking and warning or storms and Tsunami has helped many hundreds of thousands, many people owe their lives to this technology.

Corrective Back Brace

NASA technology was used to develop a back brace for people with scoliosis. This brace is an alternative to surgery.
Again this speaks for itself.

Archaeology

Space Shuttle radar images help locate ancient cities, roads, and ruins. This helps pinpoint archaeological areas faster. This technology helped locate the lost city of Ubar which is located in Oman.

Document Preservation

NASA is helping design a new protective case to preserve the National Archives' copy of the Declaration of Independence.

Anti-Corrosion Coatings

NASA required coatings to cover and protect launch structures from exhaust, temperature changes, ocean spray, and fog. Coatings containing zinc dust and potassium silicate resist corrosion. Today these coatings are used on statues such as the Statue of Liberty, bridges, pipelines, military tanks, and power stations.
Some of the pipelines these coating are used on bring water/fuel to starving peoples without these coatings more money would need to be spent maintaining the pipes instead of providing fuel/water.

Foam Cushioning

NASA developed a protective foam cushion for use on the Space Shuttle and airlines. The foam provides impact protection and distributes body weight over the entire cushion. This spin-off has use with helmets, wheelchair cushions, and other medical needs.

This cushioning is curently in use in aid hospitals all over the world and is preventing complications such as compartment syndrome and bed sores.

Liquid-Cooled Garments

For the Apollo program, water-cooled garments were developed to protect astronauts from the Moon’s high temperatures. These garments can reduce body heat by 40 - 60%. Currently, this technology is used by race car drivers, nuclear reactor workers, lumber mill workers, and military assigned to desert stations. In addition, people with medical conditions like Hypohidrotic Ectodermal Dysplasia (lack of sweat glands), cystic fibrosis, and bad burns can benefit from using these garments.
These burn pads are used in many aid hospitals, they are also used in cases of maliaria to reduce body temperature.

Hang Gliders

Hang gliders or parawings resulted from early NASA investigations into using parawings as a method of returning payloads from space to Earth. Now, many recreational and commercial uses have been found for hang gliders. Also, the Army’s Golden Knights team uses parawings in their program.

Its always nice to see something fun in one of these lists
:)

Radiant Barrier

Metallized plastics were used for the Apollo missions to enable astronauts to have a temperature controlled working area. These special plastics insulate the spacecraft from extreme hot and cold. Today, this technology is used on Earth in the construction industry, food transportation, and other areas where temperature control is important.

These materials dirtectly help the distribution of food in third world countries.

Ok now we have a flavour of what Neil has done to help the many starving in this world, may I ask what have you done and what makes you think you that your work is greater than his?
Thanks given by:
I like anderson's post better ^^

(26 Aug 12, 07:48PM)paulmuaddibKA Wrote: But if you really think what you wrote, I hope you, your children, family, relatives and friends, come close to starvation in your lifetime, so we will see how you laugh then.

This is where I am drawing the line.

See? :D
Thanks given by:
Jesus christ paul stop posting if you're just going to shit on every thread.
Thanks given by:
I honestly don't give a shit about which celebrity is dead
Thanks given by:
Paul, why do you have to drop your shitbombs of humanitarian and world caring ideas in threads that are completely irrelevant? First it happens in the Olympics thread and now you decide to do it here. Don't take me wrong, it's great that you care for the poverty-stricken people in the world and you really wish to help them and I completely agree with your ideas but for fuck's sake make your own thread on this category and feel free to post all your ideas and opinions.
Thanks given by:
@Anderson, every coin has two sides, if you know what I mean. And Ill leave it there, because I really enjoyed your post, detailed, well constructed and straight forward, even though not definitive.

On the topic about myself, Im just a regular n00b, who likes this forums, and wants to make people think out of the ordinary. That is my golden path. Sorry if I am not welcome, but its not my choosing. I suggest you guys to ignore me, by button or by choice, so I dont get "mad" at your answers and dont "ruin" threads.
Sorry, I guess... NOT REALLY, FUCK NEIL AMSTRONG AND NASA KILLERS XD (jk) XD
Thanks given by:
One small life for man, one amazing legend for mankind.

(26 Aug 12, 03:57PM)ShadowFlameZ Wrote: [Image: tumblr_m7oq5k17pY1r3084q.jpg]
icwatudidther
Thanks given by:
That...was actually somewhat witty.
Props.
Lol just noticed your edit. Har har.
Thanks given by:
To the moon alice! *pooow*
Thanks given by:
(26 Aug 12, 11:54PM)paulmuaddibKA Wrote: @Anderson, every coin has two sides, if you know what I mean. And Ill leave it there, because I really enjoyed your post, detailed, well constructed and straight forward, even though not definitive.

On the topic about myself, Im just a regular n00b, who likes this forums, and wants to make people think out of the ordinary. That is my golden path. Sorry if I am not welcome, but its not my choosing. I suggest you guys to ignore me, by button or by choice, so I dont get "mad" at your answers and dont "ruin" threads.
Sorry, I guess... NOT REALLY, FUCK NEIL AMSTRONG AND NASA KILLERS XD (jk) XD

I'm not sure how you can say that wasn't definitive, unless you are trying to save face. He presented a substantial amount of examples, which I admit don't have 'definitive' data figures, but nonetheless countered far and beyond what was needed to suffice. Just take the L.

Honestly I get it, you are opinionated, that's fine when it pertains to the thread at hand. I'm all for it, and I share some of the same humanitarian beliefs, just be prepared for the criticisms that go along with bringing something irrelevant to a thread. I can picture you better suited standing on a milk crate at the avenue corner with a megaphone and pamplets. I'd take one, probably.

(27 Aug 12, 02:33AM)Link Wrote: One small life for man, one amazing legend for mankind.

I actually just read somewhere that linguistic analysis determined that the recording of those words is actually "One small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind" and not "One small step for man," which makes a hilarious difference

RIP Neil Armstrong
Thanks given by:
Little known fact about Neil Armstrong, he periodically went around clubbing starving Africans.

In all seriousness, great man. RIP
Thanks given by: