servers without admins, and players that impersonate others players.
Hi, Im not playing AC really often atm, but when I come back I dont like to see others playing saying that I insult them, tkill players, etc... In addition, its funny to see that there are a lot of servers without admins, or admins that just dont do anything or dont know the rules of admins, and how to use it. I think that AC should have a global whitelist, and ban servers that are hosted by people that cant control their servers.
I think that this kind of situation is killing AC too. If you want to give your thoughts, feel free to share them.
Thanks given by:
(29 Sep 16, 05:43PM)quico Wrote: when I come back I dont like to see others playing saying that I insult them, tkill players, etc...
It has happened to me too, I think someone has impersonated me or telling shit to other people in my name, or they say that I do or say things that I didnt do or say.
Pox example, ALIEN asked me that if I had insulted you and he asked me that what I said to you! :> That made me think a bit in who is impersonating.. and it was a bit funny too that "I insulted you" or "I say sth bad to you" jajaja because I like your personality :D
There are people that abuse of the vote system that they vote abuse, ban evade or change tks of a player... that type of people are really annoying...
(29 Sep 16, 05:43PM)quico Wrote: I think that AC should have a global whitelist, and ban servers that are hosted by people that cant control their servers.
Completely agree with you.
-There should be a global whitelist, that would be updated when needed
+There should be a global admin application to admin all servers (administrated by high trusted people like you, Federico, etc) and if they abuse of their admin rights (things like ban without reasons if its not indeed the ban or change map intentionally in a full server without votes of others when the vote is not like 6-1 or 5-0 pox example[some new players dont vote or dont know how to vote]) they would be blacklisted of the whole masterserver or at least not giving the admin pass anymore or during a large period of time.
+[Alternative]All servers should put in additional server info, who host it and where to contact them to apply for admin rights and it would be nice if they answer in a period of 1 week (but seeing the inactivity of a lot of players these times it would be difficult)
Thanks given by: quico
I agree with you, it would help a lot, I think.
Thanks given by:
(30 Sep 16, 12:52AM)Infinity Wrote: -There should be a global whitelist, that would be updated when needed

This may be a problem for some people. Like me. I work all over the country and my ip changes pretty regularly.
Thanks given by:
(29 Sep 16, 05:43PM)quico Wrote: Hi, Im not playing AC really often atm, but when I come back I dont like to see others playing saying that I insult them, tkill players, etc... In addition, its funny to see that there are a lot of servers without admins, or admins that just dont do anything or dont know the rules of admins, and how to use it. I think that AC should have a global whitelist, and ban servers that are hosted by people that cant control their servers.
I think that this kind of situation is killing AC too. If you want to give your thoughts, feel free to share them.

there are different opinions on what a good admin is. some dont even believe in admins ruling over other players. its not for you to decide what the rules for all admins on all servers should be. your problem only affects you personally. you being impersonated doesnt affect the health of the game. banning lots of popular servers will kill the game
Thanks given by:
(01 Oct 16, 10:26PM)Viper Wrote: there are different opinions on what a good admin is. some dont even believe in admins ruling over other players. its not for you to decide what the rules for all admins on all servers should be.
hmmm yes, there is a list of rules of what a good admin should do and should not do: http://wiki.cubers.net/action/view/Serve...nistration
(01 Oct 16, 10:26PM)Viper Wrote: your problem only affects you personally. you being impersonated doesnt affect the health of the game
Yes, it affect to the playing experience of people that are beeing insulted or teamkilled and that guy is under quico's nickname so people who meet him would doubt if ban him or not because they dont know if he is fake or not. They win time and credibility under a known player nickname except if we blacklist that type of people or having admins that could be alert for them (not possible in non administrated servers, because some people vote what they want (f1 or f2) and dont know what is going on).
(01 Oct 16, 10:26PM)Viper Wrote: banning lots of popular servers will kill the game
I dont think so, because people dont play AssaultCube to go to the same servers over and over. People, specially new people go to a server with maps who likes and they do not care of which server is. And most of famous servers have information to contact them and they are well hosted, he means that servers without any admin never shown or a person who takes control of bad behaviors , should be banned and in my opinion, a rule to launch a server should be put in additional server info. who host and admin it and where to contact them, this form we evade most problems of admin abuse in home servers or no-admin in server which people take advantage of to trolling or behave bad.
Thanks given by: quico
(02 Oct 16, 12:34AM)Infinity Wrote: hmmm yes, there is a list of rules of what a good admin should do and should not do: http://wiki.cubers.net/action/view/Serve...nistration

this is not a list of rules, its something of a basic guidline to server administration. the server host decides what rules their admins should follow

(02 Oct 16, 12:34AM)Infinity Wrote: Yes, it affect to the playing experience of people that are beeing insulted or teamkilled and that guy is under quico's nickname so people who meet him would doubt if ban him or not because they dont know if he is fake or not. They win time and credibility under a known player nickname except if we blacklist that type of people or having admins that could be alert for them (not possible in non administrated servers, because some people vote what they want (f1 or f2) and dont know what is going on).

like i said, this is a personal problem and youre trying to make it all of ours problem. most players know whats going on and will f1 votes if they want to

(02 Oct 16, 12:34AM)Infinity Wrote: I dont think so, because people dont play AssaultCube to go to the same servers over and over. People, specially new people go to a server with maps who likes and they do not care of which server is. And most of famous servers have information to contact them and they are well hosted, he means that servers without any admin never shown or a person who takes control of bad behaviors , should be banned and in my opinion, a rule to launch a server should be put in additional server info. who host and admin it and where to contact them, this form we evade most problems of admin abuse in home servers or no-admin in server which people take advantage of to trolling or behave bad.

why should the choice of servers to play on be limited to the "famous" ones because one players got an issue with an impostor?
Thanks given by:
Viper, first at all, the person that impersonate me is my problema, but there are more players that are impersonated or have been imporsonated nowadays. I think that me and the others players that have been impersonated are part of this community so it affects to the comunity and in global it affects the game.
Btw you are giving idiot answers, like its your problema, not mine, etc... Then why u dont keep in silence? Im trying to find a solution for problems like people being impersonated, bad admins, servers that are hosted by people that dont care about keeping in the server a good atmosphere...
I think that u are having a useless attitude cuz u just say the same all the time, and btw, you said that the guideline about admins are not the rules of the admins, that each server can use their own rules, that true too. But we are not talking about only impersonate someone and ban/kick him. We are talking about people that are admins in a server, and they dont know /ban /kick, etc... People that have admin in a server and they use it for troll, ban people that are better than them, etc... I think that if u are not give an answer, try to help the game not say its just a individual problem, cuz that would mean that u dont play this game so often.
Thanks given by:
These problems are not really connected. Even when there are a lot of active admins they can't reliably guess who is an impersonator and who is a real player unless the real one is on the whitelist and doesn't change IP often. And maintaining whitelists is already difficult. An obvious solution is account system with authentication using password. I think something like that was work in progress?

As for the admin problem, I don't think that there should be global admins like Infinity suggested. Hosting a server should feel like creating a place of your own, with your own maprot and level of strictness, and personal control over it. It shouldn't be adding yet another machine to host the game controlled by someone else. Ensuring that each server provides contact information should be enough.
Thanks given by:
(02 Oct 16, 09:37AM)quico Wrote: I think that me and the others players that have been impersonated are part of this community so it affects to the comunity and in global it affects the game.

do explain how it affects the community and game more than banning servers will

(02 Oct 16, 09:37AM)quico Wrote: Btw you are giving idiot answers, like its your problema, not mine, etc... Then why u dont keep in silence? Im trying to find a solution for problems like people being impersonated, bad admins, servers that are hosted by people that dont care about keeping in the server a good atmosphere...

im trying to explain to you why your solution is bad for the rest of the players. if you focused less on telling me what i am you could try to read and understand what i wrote.

(02 Oct 16, 09:37AM)quico Wrote: I think that u are having a useless attitude cuz u just say the same all the time, and btw, you said that the guideline about admins are not the rules of the admins, that each server can use their own rules, that true too. But we are not talking about only impersonate someone and ban/kick him. We are talking about people that are admins in a server, and they dont know /ban /kick, etc... People that have admin in a server and they use it for troll, ban people that are better than them, etc... I think that if u are not give an answer, try to help the game not say its just a individual problem, cuz that would mean that u dont play this game so often.

if you think an admin needs to actively kick and ban players thats your opinion, everyone doesnt have to agree with you. what you consider a good admin to be is your opinion, everyone doesnt have to agree with you. you dont decide what a good server atmosphere is. you want to limit the game experience for all players to solve your personal problem. thats a shitty attitude
Thanks given by:
(02 Oct 16, 01:34AM)Viper Wrote: this is not a list of rules, its something of a basic guidline to server administration. the server host decides what rules their admins should follow
That are the basic rules, and host should follow most of them or could be reported easily, btw they can add some rules, but not to kick the important rules of that guide.
(02 Oct 16, 01:34AM)Viper Wrote: why should the choice of servers to play on be limited to the "famous" ones because one players got an issue with an impostor?
Who said that list of servers should be limited to famous ones? I said that they should put additional information to contact them and not let people that behave bad (in general, impostors and not impostors) to do what they want because there are people that votes f2 to ban him, with admin or with other system, but It should be a minimun of control.
(02 Oct 16, 10:05AM)gy_be Wrote: An obvious solution is account system with authentication using password. I think something like that was work in progress?
I like your suggestion :D But some VPN guys would still doing the same with different nicks.
Maybe it coud be possible that anyone who enter for the first time to masterserver, must put their information per IP. or by logging system.
(02 Oct 16, 10:05AM)gy_be Wrote: As for the admin problem, I don't think that there should be global admins like Infinity suggested. Hosting a server should feel like creating a place of your own, with your own maprot and level of strictness, and personal control over it. Ensuring that each server provides contact information should be enough.
The level of strictness should have a minimun and follow most important rules at least, but yes, each server would have different points of view, but with the basic rules.

I suggested 2 alternatives:
-Global administration
-Ensure that servers have contact information
And yes, now that you say, I would see better the option 2, it would be easier.
Thanks given by:
(29 Sep 16, 05:43PM)quico Wrote: Hi, Im not playing AC really often atm, but when I come back I dont like to see others playing saying that I insult them...

Maybe you can explain the WTF that happens after 6mr
I'll give you one clue: the '/me' stuff isn't coming from me, someone else is doing that.
Thanks given by:
WTF, I didnt do that. How can I do that if Im not even in the server? There wasnt any spanish player, wtf is that
Thanks given by:
Server can print whatever it wants on client, so most likely it was the owner using a mod?
Thanks given by:
Well... cannonfodder was the owner of that server and he was there....
Thanks given by:
Idk how to do that thing, I was not even in the server, so how can I do it? Medusa pls, do u think that I would do that thing?
Thanks given by:
(03 Oct 16, 09:18AM)quico Wrote: Idk how to do that thing, I was not even in the server, so how can I do it? Medusa pls, do u think that I would do that thing?
My irc chat with cannonfodder right after it happened.
Tried to talk to you quico but i couldn't find you anywhere or you disconnected when did find you.
Thanks given by:
A mod that allows admins to manipulate the communications of others from a teamspeak server.... That is uncouth....
Thanks given by:
Can we get a TL;DR of whats going on here? Too fucking lazy.
Thanks given by:
Quit being lazy nab! xD

Thanks given by:
Lol Medusa, nice expressions like little spanish tosser. Dont threat me speaking with another person, be careful with your words

If you need to speak with me, DM me here or in irc or in ts3
Thanks given by:
Lol, guys I think you forget, its a fucking game. So what if someone impersonates you, the world isn't going to end. Its not going to end either by having lazy admins, and trust me, that isn't going to change just by making a thread.

Also if you want this game to have a global whitelist go join the development team and code it yourself, because no one else is going to do that for you.
Thanks given by:
You are truely a bad monkey :o
Thanks given by: BaDMonkey
I run a couple of servers and don't care for any of them and I've had 0 complaints.

Who's bad now?
Thanks given by:
(03 Oct 16, 09:03PM)BaDMonkey Wrote: Also if you want this game to have a global whitelist...

We have a way to run an automatically updating whitelist. But it requires some cooperation currently. It is quite simple, but for people without a way to host plain text files it is daunting.

Here is the way we do it at Frag Central...

Create your whitelist file for your clan using the format provided in the server documentation.

Then you would put this file in a static location on a webserver or file hosting of your choice. Ideally you would have something with at least FTP access so that you could modify the file easily as needed.

Thanks given by: BaDMonkey , 1Cap
Quico, give me by PM a security passphrase . In the game I will ask you about it. If you do not answer, I'll ban "you". ;)
Thanks given by:
(03 Oct 16, 09:03PM)BaDMonkey Wrote: Lol, guys I think you forget, its a fucking game. So what if someone impersonates you, the world isn't going to end

So what if I break your legs during a football game, the world isn't going to end.

So what if I scam you for thousands of euros, the world isn't going to end.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2016.../84874934/

Just let people impersonate each other, will make the world a better place indeed.
Thanks given by: Mise"
(04 Oct 16, 09:40AM)Marti Wrote: .....

Again, it's a game, no one is making fake passports, trying to get into your bank account or scamming you.

And this isn't CS:GO where you can be a pro in a tourney where someone fakes being you, it's assaultcube. If something as small and insignificant as that ruins your day and deeply annoys you then you really need to find something else to do with your life because as you get your jimmies rustled over dumb things the world keeps moving forward.

P.S This isn't directly to you Marti, this is to everyone that gives too many shits for stupid things.
Thanks given by:
So lets say I'll steal 1 pound from you.

It's a small and insignificant amount, so that shouldn't be a problem right?

Now imagine me doing that for every single time you leave your house, is that still not a problem?

Your last sentence is very ironic. "this is to everyone that gives too many shits for stupid things"
E.g. when your (ex)clanmate Trionkali was accused of hacking in some post by a random indian dude, you all suddenly covered your friend claiming he was clean. I mean, it's just a game, who cares if he hacks right? First you claimed it was a stupid report, and then you end up defending him.

If something is small and insignificant to you, doesn't mean it is small and insignificant to someone else.
Thanks given by:
(04 Oct 16, 04:37PM)Marti Wrote: So lets say I'll steal 1 pound from you.

It's a small and insignificant amount, so that shouldn't be a problem right?

Now imagine me doing that for every single time you leave your house, is that still not a problem?

I don't get what point you are trying to get here, no one is stealing anything from anyone here.

The Trionkali hackusation to me at first was just funny, i wasn't angry at all. I was in a bit of shock when other people actually started believing in it and questioning him, i did defend him, but i didn't rant about it I knew 100% trionkali isn't a hacker and I didn't really care if others thought he was, actually the majority of the post was about how many inexperienced players call others hackers just because they don't understand how some things work. You see that a lot in almost every video game that has a competitive scene.

(04 Oct 16, 04:37PM)Marti Wrote: If something is small and insignificant to you, doesn't mean it is small and insignificant to someone else.

This is a very valid point, significance is subjective
Thanks given by: