Trying to start a masterserver for fun
I've been trying to get a masterserver up and running because I want to see how hard it would be to modify the masterserver to show different tabs: Official Maps, Custom Maps, Gema Mode. I also would like to do some testing.

However, I've seen to come across a few issues:
1) What is supposed to go into master.cfg?
2) How do you ban someone? As far as I can tell bans are located in three vectors: bans, servbans, gbans. There are also three assaultcube commands as far as I can tell: ban, servban, gban. Where do we input these commands? There seems to be an auth system but as far as i can tell, it is likely that it needs to be located in master.cfg
Thanks given by:
The master.cfg file is kind of like the autoexe file in your assaultube config folder. When you start the program, arguments are executed from this file first. You need to specify min_versions and current_version on separate lines. For instance:
min_versions 1102 1102
current_version 1104 1104

Within this file you can also add your bans:

gban 192.168.0.1/24
servban 192.168.1.23
ban 10.0.0.17
wl 192.168.0.15

Or if you want to be more organized, you could create another file within the same directory as master.cfg for your bans or whitelists such as mybans.cfg and whitelists.cfg and then in master:

exec mybans.cfg
exec whitelist.cfg

As far as I know how it works anyways... There's more than that but that should get something working.
Thanks given by: +f0r3v3r+
Banning somebody is simple, really. Just type /ban username goes here and set the time. Forgot how to set a specific time, considering it's a timed ban.
Thanks given by:
(27 Oct 15, 05:44AM)BluffCreek Wrote: Banning somebody is simple, really. Just type /ban username goes here and set the time. Forgot how to set a specific time, considering it's a timed ban.

On a regular server or on a MS?
Thanks given by:
(27 Oct 15, 05:53AM)Mousikos Wrote:
(27 Oct 15, 05:44AM)BluffCreek Wrote: Banning somebody is simple, really. Just type /ban username goes here and set the time. Forgot how to set a specific time, considering it's a timed ban.

On a regular server or on a MS?

Any type of server, just as long as you're the admin.
Thanks given by:
(27 Oct 15, 06:04AM)BluffCreek Wrote: Any type of server, just as long as you're the admin.
Er, do you know what a masterserver is and what function it serves in the game?
Thanks given by:
The masterserver is the server commandant. The masterserver holds all other servers in it.

Example below.

--MASTERSERVER--
--Server 1--
--Server 2--
--Server 3--

and so on. Think of it as directories on a PC. You have a video folder, inside that is your vlogs, or gaming videos.
Thanks given by:
(27 Oct 15, 06:34AM)BluffCreek Wrote: The masterserver is the server commandant. The masterserver holds all other servers in it.

Example below.

--MASTERSERVER--
--Server 1--
--Server 2--
--Server 3--

and so on. Think of it as directories on a PC. You have a video folder, inside that is your vlogs, or gaming videos.

Cool. Can you tell me how to give commands to the masterserver?
Thanks given by:
I haven't ran a masterserver before, try looking at the AssaultCube Server Commands page.
Thanks given by:
(27 Oct 15, 06:40AM)BluffCreek Wrote: I haven't ran a masterserver before, try looking at the AssaultCube Server Commands page.

That's the thing. Masterserver is not documented there. You can't actually claim admin (well it looks like there is/eventually will be support for auth using pubkeys) but that's an entirely different concept from setadmin. In the same sense, /ban is a client-side concept. Ban time is set serverside for temp bans. Permanent server bans are located in two files: serverblacklist.cfg and nicknameblacklist.cfg (iirc). The masterserver does not follow this system.
Thanks given by:
(27 Oct 15, 06:49AM)Mousikos Wrote:
(27 Oct 15, 06:40AM)BluffCreek Wrote: I haven't ran a masterserver before, try looking at the AssaultCube Server Commands page.

That's the thing. Masterserver is not documented there. You can't actually claim admin (well it looks like there is/eventually will be support for auth using pubkeys) but that's an entirely different concept from setadmin. In the same sense, /ban is a client-side concept. Ban time is set serverside for temp bans. Permanent server bans are located in two files: serverblacklist.cfg and nicknameblacklist.cfg (iirc). The masterserver does not follow this system.

You do realize it's easy for the blacklist to be fooled. All you have to do is change your name, so the blacklist is useless.
Thanks given by:
(27 Oct 15, 06:53AM)BluffCreek Wrote: You do realize it's easy for the blacklist to be fooled. All you have to do is change your name, so the blacklist is useless.
You're not blacklisted just by name. You can get blacklisted by IP as well...
Thanks given by:
(27 Oct 15, 06:55AM)Mousikos Wrote:
(27 Oct 15, 06:53AM)BluffCreek Wrote: You do realize it's easy for the blacklist to be fooled. All you have to do is change your name, so the blacklist is useless.
You're not blacklisted just by name. You can get blacklisted by IP as well...

And you can use a proxy to change your I.P.
Thanks given by:
(27 Oct 15, 06:56AM)BluffCreek Wrote: And you can use a proxy to change your I.P.
That's all fine and dandy, there's a list of common proxies on some blacklists...
Thanks given by:
(27 Oct 15, 07:12AM)Mousikos Wrote:
(27 Oct 15, 06:56AM)BluffCreek Wrote: And you can use a proxy to change your I.P.
That's all fine and dandy, there's a list of common proxies on some blacklists...

Unless you can enter your own I.P, or mask it to be someone else's.
Thanks given by:
(27 Oct 15, 07:28AM)BluffCreek Wrote: Unless you can enter your own I.P, or mask it to be someone else's.

Sure. Except this is how IP address spoofing works: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_address_spoofing

The IP Address is how people find you on the internet. If you put your IP address as someone else's address when you send information, the server is going to send information to someone ELSE's address. Doesn't do you much good when you play Assaultcube.
Thanks given by: