Gema server owners
So all of these gema servers (or almost) are modded and have useless stuff like welcome messages, but none of their owners had the idea to disable weapon damage.
Instead, they prefer to kick manually everyone who doesn't get the point of gemas (which is understandable considering its a first person SHOOTER)

so my question is : WHY do you prefer to kick people manually when you can just mod the server to discard all damage done by a player to another ? is it because you like the feel of kicking someone ? i really don't get it.
this is just causing more frustration for the players who have no clue, and also for the gema players who get killed anyway.

if someone could explain me the logic behind this...
Thanks given by:
because the server would be banned immediately from masterserver for gameplay modification.... This has been done so many times already. there are some gemas server off the masterserver already doing it and much more.

I guess that would change a lot of things if devs decide not to ban gema servers modifying gameplay.
Thanks given by: Casius
(11 Jul 15, 09:52PM)Halte Wrote: because the server would be banned immediately from masterserver for gameplay modification.... This has been done so many times already. there are some gemas server off the masterserver already doing it and much more.

I guess that would change a lot of things if devs decide not to ban gema servers modifying gameplay.

I might be wrong but i would say it hasn't happened for more than a year already.
It should just be very clear that gemas are alternative gamemodes and kicking people is just wrong. Discard damage, send an explanation message if a player tries to shoot other people to much telling him what's a gema.

Discard damage, make it obvious whats a "gema", and that will be OK. Gema server owners are acting like they're part of a "circle of initiates" and pretending to be bullied by devs, but they could very well fix these problems themselves.
Thanks given by:
Guys, Jamz have left (sadly) to take care of his kids. He was one who was enforcing modified gameplay. I do not know if X-Ray_Dog, currently managing the masterserver, is enforcing them. X-Ray_Dog, your two cents?
Thanks given by:
I've banned gema servers about a month or two ago regarding gema servers altering gameplay. I would definitely be removing servers that dropped damage because that modifies gameplay. If we're going to allow gema servers, we're going to have to have a master server that sorts them separately or have a tabbed list for modded servers. Otherwise servers will be removed like they always have been.
Thanks given by:
never thought i would see that day coming. please do it ;) gemas server owners gonna be so happy.

on some gema server, you cant spawn if you dont write the following sentence : !iwillnotkill

if you allow them to change the server code, they will be much more creative than they were with the lua. and please add a modded server section so i can play again insta/ctf :)
Thanks given by:
I actually had a gema server that removed weapon damage. The reason that it was not on the masterserver is due to what xrd said above. So, lucas, before making a post attacking the actions of gema server owners, why not take a look at the actions taken by the dev team against the server owners first.
Thanks given by:
If the point of a gema server is to play gema then it would make sense that damage be removed wouldn't it? I personally think gemas are a joke in this new version but hey maybe I just need a new keyboard.
Thanks given by:
Yeah it would make sense. However, I guess some people feel it would be too confusing for "new players" to have to actually follow the gema rules and traditional game play cannot be affected.
Thanks given by:
(11 Jul 15, 11:26PM)X-Ray_Dog Wrote: I've banned gema servers about a month or two ago regarding gema servers altering gameplay. I would definitely be removing servers that dropped damage because that modifies gameplay. If we're going to allow gema servers, we're going to have to have a master server that sorts them separately or have a tabbed list for modded servers. Otherwise servers will be removed like they always have been.

I thought you stopped when jamz left.
You know my view on this subject, imo the masterserver shouldn't be the main way to look for a game. 

But, to be honest, if you wantto be consistent with this policy, just ban any server that kicks players for killing each other. Imo its more a problem then a modded server.
Thanks given by:
(12 Jul 15, 02:04AM)HoeHunter Wrote: I actually had a gema server that removed weapon damage. The reason that it was not on the masterserver is due to what xrd said above. So, lucas, before making a post attacking the actions of gema server owners, why not take a look at the actions taken by the dev team against the server owners first.

First we're trying to have a discussion about gema here, if you want to throw shit at me for no reason i would suggest you to post on the "match client shittalk" thread

Secondly i've seen a mod in the past, on a gema server, that kicked players for shooting at other players. I told the onwers it would be better if all damage was just dropped but they didn't seem convinced.

Finally, XRD is following some rules (hes still doing it which i din't know) that can still be discussed and changed a little. If you have anything helpful to say, go on, otherwise, don't.
Thanks given by: champo
Lucas, we had this idea approx. since 1.0! We always tried to discuss it but because of indoctrination and opinions that were probably 99% false (one of them being "players will uninstall when they get kicked from gema" LOL) all moded servers kept getting banned. Also i knew the true face of it all! They just kept banning us because long time ago makke (in a big cry post) said he hated gema and TwinTower like maps and that they were destroying "his game". Ironically the people who were fighting for the poor new stupid players were the ones who actually made most people uninstall.

Once i was allowed by Brahma to turn friendly fire off but that didnt last long. 
No one had the will/courage to change things for the better (that shit about tabs was mentioned few years ago and no one listened). 

Also HoeHunter

You are just repeating something that a completey clueless dev from the past set as an argument which is completely false! Players are not that stupid and even if they were,  no damage and warning messages would make it more clear to them.
Thanks given by: 1Cap
During all these years we followed the same people refusing any change. Now they left, with a critical activity situation. Its not only because of gema but a game who aint changing cant keep his players interested. So we, the players, are still trying to make our voice heard. Community can offer some new game modes and new stuff. Please dont censor us. I have the feeling that Lucas is going in the right way and x ray is smart enough to give it a try.

The argument about new player being lost is invalid since gemas exist in many FPS already (cs, quake, urt to quote some small one). Just "have a tabbed list for modded servers" as XRD said and release community creativity.
Thanks given by:
Yeah, |HP| that is what I am saying, I completely agree with you. I was mentioning that some devs feel this way and that is why we can't have the damage removed.
Thanks given by: 1Cap , |HP|
(12 Jul 15, 07:28AM)Luc@s Wrote: But, to be honest, if you wantto be consistent with this policy, just ban any server that kicks players for killing each other. Imo its more a problem then a modded server.

goodbye gibbed
Thanks given by:
You can add any custom server to serverbrowser in your AC with use personalserverlist alias, using in autoexec.cfg:

alias personalserverlist "addserver IP1 PORT1; addserver  IP2 PORT2; ..."

No restrictions, full freedom (almost).
Thanks given by:
(12 Jul 15, 06:34PM)grenadier Wrote: You can add any custom server to serverbrowser in your AC with use personalserverlist alias, using in autoexec.cfg:

Yeah, good luck getting all the people that want to play gema to do that though.
Thanks given by:
(12 Jul 15, 08:06PM)HoeHunter Wrote:
(12 Jul 15, 06:34PM)grenadier Wrote: You can add any custom server to serverbrowser in your AC with use personalserverlist alias, using in autoexec.cfg:

Yeah, good luck getting all the people that want to play gema to do that though.

This is why f0r3v3r has his own master server... :P
Thanks given by:
(15 Jul 15, 07:47PM)D3M0NW0LF Wrote: This is why f0r3v3r has his own master server... :P
And how many people actually downloaded the client to see that Masterserver?
Thanks given by:
(15 Jul 15, 08:28PM)HoeHunter Wrote: And how many people actually downloaded the client to see that Masterserver?

Considering it wasn't widely advertised, not a whole lot. >_>
Thanks given by: +f0r3v3r+
(12 Jul 15, 08:06PM)HoeHunter Wrote: Yeah, good luck getting all the people that want to play gema to do that though.

we could say the same thing about clan players who have to use the console to join specific servers in order to play interclans.
Thanks given by: D3M0NW0LF , DeafieGamer
Auto-kicking when you kill someone is just as bad as disabling weapon damage in terms of modifying gameplay. Gema needs to be in a separate server list or have its own gamemode. Besides, I'm sick of having them in my list because I never want to play Gema.
Thanks given by:
(18 Jul 15, 05:27AM)morshu9001 Wrote: Auto-kicking when you kill someone is just as bad as disabling weapon damage in terms of modifying gameplay. Gema needs to be in a separate server list or have its own gamemode. Besides, I'm sick of having them in my list because I never want to play Gema.
Ever try adding them to your "hate" list? Simply hover over the server on the list and press 3! See? Look how easy it is to get those pesky gema servers off your list!
Thanks given by: morshu9001
(15 Jul 15, 08:45PM)Luc@s Wrote: we could say the same thing about clan players who have to use the console to join specific servers in order to play interclans.
Gema and inters are different. People ask each other for inters. You don't see people in pubs going "Gema?". How do you propose new gema players find gema servers if not in the masterlist?
Thanks given by:
(18 Jul 15, 06:29PM)Mousikos Wrote: Gema and inters are different. People ask each other for inters. You don't see people in pubs going "Gema?". How do you propose new gema players find gema servers if not in the masterlist?
Thats not what we observe at all. Nobody wants to play inter with unknowns/newcomers who get destroyed anyway. I'm pretty sure theres a higher growth in the gema community than in the competitive community actually. (the only interface for the latter is these forums)
Not to mention interclans and gemas aren't symmetric since one is something we want to support officially and encourage and the other is unofficial and an alternative to the main gameplay.

So my view on this is : i only /care/ about the gamemodes i want to work on in priority. And i don't want the others to interfere negatively, as this is currently the case. I don't really mind personnally about the visibility of gema servers for instance ;
The real problem is that because of AC infrastructure, if we want to choose a direction for the gameplay, we need to get rid of the alternatives, from the masterserver. Note that i consider that the real problem is the infrastructure and not the alternative gamemodes themselves. And i know some gema players tried to turn it into a fight between them and devs but i refuse this fight because it would make everyone forget about the root of the problems.
Instead, i suggest that we stop wasting efforts - and while "we" work on improving AC itself, we try to make gemas less unappealing for newcomers, whatever is the solution we come up with for that.
Thanks given by:
(18 Jul 15, 06:55PM)Luc@s Wrote:
(18 Jul 15, 06:29PM)Mousikos Wrote: Gema and inters are different. People ask each other for inters. You don't see people in pubs going "Gema?". How do you propose new gema players find gema servers if not in the masterlist?
Thats not what we observe at all. Nobody wants to play inter with unknowns/newcomers who get destroyed anyway. I'm pretty sure theres a higher growth in the gema community than in the competitive community actually. (the only interface for the latter is these forums)
Not to mention interclans and gemas aren't symmetric since one is something we want to support officially and encourage and the other is unofficial and an alternative to the main gameplay.

So my view on this is : i only /care/ about the gamemodes i want to work on in priority. And i don't want the others to interfere negatively, as this is currently the case. I don't really mind personnally about the visibility of gema servers for instance ;
The real problem is that because of AC infrastructure, if we want to choose a direction for the gameplay, we need to get rid of the alternatives, from the masterserver. Note that i consider that the real problem is the infrastructure and not the alternative gamemodes themselves. And i know some gema players tried to turn it into a fight between them and devs but i refuse this fight because it would make everyone forget about the root of the problems.
Instead, i suggest that we stop wasting efforts - and while "we" work on improving AC itself, we try to make gemas less unappealing for newcomers, whatever is the solution we come up with for that.

Make an official gema gamemode, as osok is.

Easy and simple.
Thanks given by:
This is so bumped... but here's a suggestion for "future" server owners. Try doing what XRD did for the zombie server. It'll be publicly visible, but will require a /modconnect to join it (just don't forget to fill in the nifty server info with the details).
Thanks given by: