What would you actually like to see in AC?
(27 May 15, 07:45PM)Mousikos Wrote:
(27 May 15, 06:29PM)Oracle Wrote: What ever happened with the base capture mode?  Would be up for testing it if needed.

I don't think we have the maps

Dunno about that.  There are plenty of large maps that could definitely be feasible for a mode like that (arabian, power, etc.).  If I remember correctly the mode was once tested on even depot no?
Thanks given by:
(27 May 15, 08:41PM)BaDMonkey Wrote: *Cough* gets move to the cube 2 engine *Cough*

It's really hard to port the game to a new engine when the game is already struggling on the current one. That is a bit unrealistic at this point only due to the number of active and competent developers we have.
Thanks given by:
more players (have more divulgation)

servers better

a site of tourney as the oldESL (1v1DM,OSOK, 2v2 3x3 CTF,TOSOK maybe tLSS haha )

voltar os mapas 1.0 LSS: Dodgeball and Gladiator the big LSS brasil... in 1.0.0.4,

maybe a TSURV, with plantation of bomb (other mod)

translate to the say, the player talk (say), translate in down (a exemple)
Thanks given by:
(27 May 15, 10:08AM)Undead Wrote: i've made a few changes here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/75zb35...gz6/ac.rar

depot only really requires a change to the tunnels, of which i have a (very) rudimentary and controversial solution that would certainly require a bit of playtesting.

douze is just a few fixes to remove all of the bullcrap angles and spawns.

i've fixed the clutter, lighting, and some of the ridiculous angles on ingress to make it more playable.

of course, i could continue to make these changes, but i'm not sure whether such changes are desired entirely. i'm aware of the associated licensing issues as well, but they shouldn't be particularly difficult to resolve should they come up. certain maps that aren't in the official package could be worked to official standard, as well as the less played maps (like arabian, aqueous, iceroad(the rework has a heap of problems that nobody else seems to have identified besides me. i could fix it (properly this time) but it would be rather time consuming), etc)

I can't really check your work atm but you're right - adding bad quality maps would be as detrimental as not adding maps whatsoever. I think very few maps in the official package are beyond hope in terms of being fixed, although as someone who barely understands how the mapping engine works in AC, I wouldn't know where to begin. I'll check out your rar in a few days when I'm home.
I think depot's gameplay is relatively unique, and while I personally dislike it and would like to see it fixed, I can understand how opinions would be relatively bisected on the matter of reworking the layout, since the map is hailed as being somewhat iconic throughout AC history. However, for example, I can't see how anyone might possibly think that keeping the angles in ingress would be a good idea. Maybe your rework would even make the map playable in matches again...

I probably haven't playtested iceroad1.1 enough to identify (m)any of these issues you're describing. It would be nice to get more matches played on a wider variety of maps though, indeed. There's also multiple custom maps out there that play very well and could be suitable additions. I think the main problem with the idea of "patching new maps into the official package" would be establishing sufficient prerequisites a map would need to meet in order to qualify. Perhaps a council of developers and experienced players could work together and decide collectively, assuming any of this comes to fruition. Holding something like a public poll would not be a good idea, imo.
Thanks given by:
(27 May 15, 05:53PM)Luc@s Wrote: the obstacle is the community, as you could have realized when we released the match client.

no lucas, the obstacle is never the community. we both know what you were really trying to do with the match client, hence why everyone was ambivalent to it. i wouldn't have such a problem if you were incorporating those features into AC in a non-partisan way.

the depot change applies a rudimentary fix to the tunnel area to speed up the gameplay without sacrificing the classic elements of the map, but obviously some may be against such changes, which is why its important that even a 30 minute fix like that gets tested extensively.

unfortunately, ingress is unique due to some of those angles, so the removal of clutter and widening of certain areas of map/fixing elevation should make the map at the least more playable.
Thanks given by:
(27 May 15, 10:50PM)starix/A/ Wrote: a site of tourney as the oldESL
After our second shot at ESL was wasted, I doubt that it'd be opened again.
Thanks given by:
(28 May 15, 06:16AM)Undead Wrote: no lucas, the obstacle is never the community. we both know what you were really trying to do with the match client, hence why everyone was ambivalent to it. i wouldn't have such a problem if you were incorporating those features into AC in a non-partisan way.
What does "in a nonpartisan way" mean ? Since only a very little amount of people (3) actually involved themselves in the project, it might look partisan; not because we want to remain a close group ; but realistically, in the game current state, you can't hope to get many more dedicated, competent people
i've been accused to be partial, because i made a change that enforces a set of maps for competitive matches. While its obviously needed, if you want to make this game more competitive.
If i felt i had been allowed to make those changes in AC's official repository as much as i want, i would have done it. But my views, i'm afraid, aren't shared with most current "developers" (well basically only mods and MIA 'project leaders' are still here).
So, the only option left i had, was to work on an alternative, because when you are starting an ambitious project (ambitious in comparison to what has been done so far..), freedom is crucial.
Regarding dev CV/applications: i would like to say that one of the best way to apply is to submit patches. Larry never sent a patch to me.
Thanks given by:
(28 May 15, 09:00AM)Orynge Wrote: After our second shot at ESL was wasted, I doubt that it'd be opened again.

My opinion is that AC needs something similar. ESL didn't work for AC, doesn't mean we have to exclude all kind of competition. It only means we shouldn't reproduce the same mistakes. Which is quite easy...
Thanks given by:
(28 May 15, 11:19AM)Luc@s Wrote: What does "in a nonpartisan way" mean ?

it means that your group (w00p) was trying to control the direction of competitive gameplay. as usual, you only spoke to people who shared your opinions.

(28 May 15, 11:19AM)Luc@s Wrote: i've been accused to be partial, because i made a change that enforces a set of maps for competitive matches. While its obviously needed, if you want to make this game more competitive.

yes, but you made your own very poor judgement on what maps were acceptable, and these judgments were very obviously biased for and against certain players (e.g. including depot but excluding outpost). if you had wanted to be as encompassing as possible, you wouldn't have purposefully tried to alienate players in this manner. imo, you should have avoided enforcing a set of maps for competitive play, and left that task to other people.
Thanks given by:
(28 May 15, 11:54AM)Undead Wrote: yes, but you made your own very poor judgement on what maps were acceptable, and these judgments were very obviously biased for and against certain players (e.g. including depot but excluding outpost). if you had wanted to be as encompassing as possible, you wouldn't have purposefully tried to alienate players in this manner. imo, you should have avoided enforcing a set of maps for competitive play, and left that task to other people.

All I did was making the code for it. And if i had to wait for someone else to do it, i'll still be waiting.

And after that, because the community is what it is, i had to justify myself. While the community (if it was more useful) would have approved this idea and discussed in arational manner about the choice of maps, rather than using this feature as an opportunity NOT to try and actually discuss more about the project. So the community impact was actually negative while it could really have been positive
Thanks given by:
Luc@s Wrote:My opinion is that AC needs something similar. ESL didn't work for AC, doesn't mean we have to exclude all kind of competition. It only means we shouldn't reproduce the same mistakes. Which is quite easy...
I agree. The issue is making sure it doesn't go stale, i.e. the Weekend Cup.
Thanks given by:
(28 May 15, 12:22PM)Luc@s Wrote: While the community (if it was more useful) would have approved this idea and discussed in arational manner about the choice of maps, rather than using this feature as an opportunity NOT to try and actually discuss more about the project.

the problem originated from you removing the possibility of the community having any agency with regard to what maps were to be chosen or not. it would have been better to remove the map restrictions in question until you actually knew what maps to select or not to select. if you didn't know (which you clearly didn't), you had the opportunity to delegate that responsibility to someone else.

(28 May 15, 01:13PM)Orynge Wrote: I agree. The issue is making sure it doesn't go stale, i.e. the Weekend Cup.

it entirely relates to activity in AC; the primary issue is that the game is far too small to sustain competitive gameplay at the moment.
Thanks given by: