The custom map event - Part 1: The mapping contest
I am proud to present you the Custom map event Part 1.

Introduction:

This event is aiming to gather the mapping and the competitive playing scene of AssaultCube, and so it will be split in two parts. The first part is about to create a mapping contest oriented to the gameplay. From this contest will result maps that are going to be played for the part 2 of the event, in a tournament organized by Vanquish and Yopa. More informations about the tournament will come soon.

Judging and notation system:

Here start the differences between classic mapping contest and this one, because the time between the end of the contest and the start of the tournament is limited, the judge list can not be posted yet. The objective is to obtain quality judges who will be able to test and review all the entries in a limited time (less than two weeks). The judge list is not decided yet and will be posted at the end of the contest to be sure each judges will be available because of the reason above. The contest is open to everyone and because the judge list is not decided yet, entering a map for this contest will prevent the mapper to note the maps or to be judge. Because of this, I ask participants to mention in this topic if they are curently creating a map for this contest.

The notation will be split in two divisions: the gameplay and the design.

The gameplay:
For the gameplay division which represents half of the final note, each maps will be played in real conditions in a 2 vs 2 or a 3 vs 3 match/interclan by competitive players, each players will note the playability of the map in match with a score between 1 and 10, the average score will count for half of the final note of the map.

The design:
The design division which represents the other half of the final note will be performed by named judges. Only confirmed mappers who are able to create decent maps will be able to judge the design of a map. The notation of the design will be split in 5 points. The lightening, the texturing the level of detail, the sounds and the use of models. Each points will represent a note between 1 and 10, the average of the notes will count for half of the final note of the map. Adding original and self-made custom contents is allowed but will not give you extra points in the design.

Each maps will receive a note between 2 and 20, the more points you get, the best your map is.

The rules:

1. Cooperation between mappers is alowed and without mapper number limit.
2. The map message (mapmsg) must contains the name of each mappers who contributed.
3. Only one map per mapper or mapper cooperations.
4. No advanced plagiarism and stealing will be tolerated.
5. Participants can not submit an entry and note/judge maps.
6. The map must be freshly created and not published yet.
7. Custom contents are allowed.
8. The map must be playable in Capture The Flag (CTF) mode and so, have bases and flags.
9. There is no imposed theme.
10. The deadline is set for the 1st of May 2015, at 23h59 UTC-11.

I cannot predict every eventuality so I reserve the right to change/add/remove rules if such an action becomes necessary, if something will change, each participants will be noticed personally, this is why it is in your interest to mention your participation to the contest in this thread.

The reward:

I used to be a mapper, I also won the 5th AssaultCube Mapping Competition with a map that is barely played in publics and that have never been played in match at all, I am aware of the gap between the mapping scene and the playing scene of the game, this is why, unlike others mapping contests, this event is not rewarding winners with money, instead, the map will be played in a tournament dedicated to the best(s) entry(ies). The map with the best note will be played to the finals or in important matches (it will depends of the tournament rules) and probably to the others qualification stages. If more maps meet the quality requisites to be played in a tournament, these maps will also be played in the tournament.

Have fun and happy mapping.
Thanks given by:
Would be kinda nice to know a time frame don't you think?
Thanks given by:
Interesting. 

"each players will note the playability of the map in match with a score between 1 and 10, the average score will count for half of the final note of the map"

what does 1 mean and what does 10 mean? what's more, what does 4 mean or 7? I would highly advice to stick to 3 indicators (1 points: simple. the map blablablabla. 2 points: good. The map bjasbdjabsjdbakbdka. 3 points: perfect. The map blablablabla) something like that would be more objective than giving points because you think that is the correct number.

btw, I'm participating ;-)
Thanks given by:
will make a map.

i think endgame wants this:

[Image: rubric-450x316.png]

(22 Jan 15, 11:59PM)Pi_Halo Wrote: Would be kinda nice to know a time frame don't you think?

(22 Jan 15, 11:37PM)ExodusS Wrote: 10. The deadline is set for the 1st of May 2015, at 23h59 UTC-11.
Thanks given by:
(23 Jan 15, 12:16AM)EndGame Wrote: what does 1 mean and what does 10 mean? what's more, what does 4 mean or 7? I would highly advice to stick to 3 indicators (1 points: simple. the map blablablabla. 2 points: good. The map bjasbdjabsjdbakbdka. 3 points: perfect. The map blablablabla) something like that would be more objective than giving points because you think that is the correct number.

I did not want to enter into very detailed rules to avoid confusion this is why I though the notation system part is 'short' and as clear as possible, plus the playability is something we can hardly note with different stages, so is the design, it's more the opinion of each players/judges to define what is worth a 7 and what is worth a 10 because I don't want to impose everything to them. The playability is something that includes a lot of merging factors that makes is really hard to explain in notes, I think it is better to just give an average note on the playability of a map than just following a notation template. Plus each factors have different matters to judges. I will try to get the same player to test all the map, it will probably be impossible but I will try to stick to it to get an average as fair as possible.

(23 Jan 15, 12:25AM)Undead Wrote:
(22 Jan 15, 11:59PM)Pi_Halo Wrote: Would be kinda nice to know a time frame don't you think?

(22 Jan 15, 11:37PM)ExodusS Wrote: 10. The deadline is set for the 1st of May 2015, at 23h59 UTC-11.

I added the deadline after, certainly when you were writting this.
Thanks given by:
See Undead, you aren't always right (or even half the time).
Thanks given by:
Yes, Undead. That's exactly what I wanted. That gives credibility to judges and contest. Everybody will speak the same language and there's almost no room for personal feelings that can change a player's score. Ok, I understand it's hard and time-consuming. Then, leave it to 3 points. You don't need to go further into details. I guess everybody understands that 3 is the best and 1 the worst. but 7 or 6???
Thanks given by:
(23 Jan 15, 01:13AM)Pi_Halo Wrote: See Undead, you aren't always right (or even half the time).

i'm surprised you haven't been banned yet.
Thanks given by:
I guess that mutual undead ;)

Good luck to every participant!
Thanks given by:
For the judging part - what if we set up a server with a maprot and maps folder that contained only the entries from the contest - so then judges could go there and /gonext through to see all of the entries in one server?
(Just a thought for providing a fast way to access all of the entries for judges)
Thanks given by:
I will give it a shot and create a map
Thanks given by:
Competition has been cancelled, or rather postponed until a more suitable time. I was asked to post here by ExodusS, who didn't have access to his account at the time.
Thanks given by:
(23 Jan 15, 11:19PM)Z3R0 Wrote: Competition has been cancelled, or rather postponed until a more suitable time. I was asked to post here by ExodusS, who didn't have access to his account at the time.

any reason?

i have already made two bases
Thanks given by:
(23 Jan 15, 11:19PM)Z3R0 Wrote: Competition has been cancelled, or rather postponed until a more suitable time. I was asked to post here by ExodusS, who didn't have access to his account at the time.

I never asked you to post here and I also did NOT speak with you since months now, Fred is actually impersonating me on the w00p teamspeak with hundreds of French proxies, sending private message full of insults, NFSW pictures and all kind of stupid links to everyone and I'm sure he extended his actions to other teamspeaks or IRC's just to ruin this contest, do not trust anyone else than me trought my actual forum account.

(23 Jan 15, 07:11PM)+f0r3v3r+ Wrote: For the judging part - what if we set up a server with a maprot and maps folder that contained only the entries from the contest - so then judges could go there and /gonext through to see all of the entries in one server?

I think it's a good idea, it would make the organisation a bit faster for the gameplay judges, but I also think it would be good to let the judges some time between each games instead of forcing them to note fast. Or if you wanted to speak about an easy way for the judges to get each maps easily, I think the best way is that I'll send everything on Akimbo so judges will only have to type /getmap from everywhere (even offline) and to test, the gameplay judging does not require to have all judges on the same map at the same time to avoid a judge to influence another one.

@EndGame I will add a notation 'rubric' certainly tomorow, if not in the next days. From 1 to 3, 4 to 6, 7 to 9 and 10 meaning perfect.
Thanks given by:
(24 Jan 15, 01:01AM)ExodusS Wrote: I never asked you to post here and I also did NOT speak with you since months now, Fred is actually impersonating me on the w00p teamspeak with hundreds of French proxies, sending private message full of insults, NFSW pictures and all kind of stupid links to everyone and I'm sure he extended his actions to other teamspeaks or IRC's just to ruin this contest, do not trust anyone else than me trought my actual forum account.

how would fred have access to zer0's account?
Thanks given by:
Ahah, oops. That's good then. Thought it was strange. Sorry.

Edit:
(24 Jan 15, 01:05AM)Undead Wrote: how would fred have access to zer0's account?

[Image: Untitled.png]

Fred approached me on irc as ExodusS and PM'd me to post it, saying he'd lost access to his account and couldn't himself. Guess I didn't really think it through, but I was busy at the time so yeah. As long as the contest is still running.
Thanks given by:
lol
Thanks given by:
The amount of tweakage in that post Z3RO has got me seeing Spimonys
Thanks given by:
rip zero

at least its still on
Thanks given by: Orynge
lol ANYWAY get mappin omg
Thanks given by:
Z3R0 at least your AR shot is still functional.....
Thanks given by:
if ur in this competition u better step up to the occasion because i'm making a real scary map.

officially warned
Thanks given by:
(26 Jan 15, 03:21PM)Undead Wrote: if ur in this competition u better step up to the occasion because i'm making a real scary map.

officially warned

Zombie mod map inbound

/fog 64
/fogcolour 000000
Thanks given by:
Entry here.
Thanks given by:
Deadline.
Thanks given by:
Congrats on the win z3r0
Thanks given by:
Yeah thx
Thanks given by:
I already told him in private, but yeah WP.
Thanks given by: