9th Endorsed Mapping Contest
We are now into 2015 and have not had a mapping contest since 2013. This has been a long pause in-between contests so we hope this one is welcomed.
The theme is castle/palace. We've had several themes over the years, and some have not particularly appealed to certain people. I hope that this theme can provide something fresh and something that the mappers and players will both enjoy.
There is also an irc channel this time for more direct use. If you have any questions you may want to ask, any progression you want to share, or anything else, you don't want a lot of people to know about, this channel would be perfect for you. Most of the time a judge will be active in there, though it may take a moment for them to reply. This channel can be found at #acmapcontest @ gamesurge.net (or at this link: irc)
We hope you join us there!
So whilst the 8th competition was alright, the judging was not. We are the new judges can be active and get it done in a timely matter. The judges are as follows:
Judges: Halo, Ronald_Reagen, Mousikos, and Jack-is
Chairman: Halo.
Criteria is repeated as usual. The judges will be rating:
Theme
Textures
Lighting
Detail
Sounds
Layout/Gameplay
Average (overall of the above)
This will be rated from 1-10.
The start date is right now (January 15th) up until May 4th.
The rules are still the same from the 8th competiton:
* Map wasn't released anywhere before
* One map per person (more than one person per map is fine)
* No stealing
* No judge was involved in the process of making the map
* Anyone can enter, no requirements are set based off mapping experience
If you enter a map before the deadline, you can work on it some more, the last submitted version prior to the end of the contest will be the one to be judged.
To classify as a newcomer mapper you will have need to have only released two previous maps prior to the map for the contest. Meaning if this is your 3rd map, you will be a newcomer. By released, that means on akimbo or the AC forums or some popular map, not some small random fun map like an lss or @camper map.
You can make a coop map, but all people must be listed and they must not be listed on another map that is for the contest (in the case a coop map wins, its up to the persons who made the map to decide on how to split the prize, not the judges).
If you are new and working with a coop partner, this still counts as a new mapper, but only the new person in the team will get the prize (so please define who is new), if there are multiple people in the group who are new to mapping, its between those persons to define how to split it.
The prizes will be discussed and/or donated at a later time.
Custom Media is allowed. Custom skybox, textures, mapmodels, sounds, etc, are allowed and there is no limit to the number you may use.
In previous contest custom content was judged on it owns. However, with the auto-download in game now, there will only be 2 categories. Best newcomer and Best all around.
There will be some prizes this time as well.
RKTnoob created some first, second, third, and a newcomer trophy to display for the winners.
Gold:[Image: gold_zpsc16c330e.jpg]
Silver:[Image: silver_zpsa3da57d5.jpg]
Bronze:[Image: bronze_zps2333600d.jpg]
Newcomer:[Image: greenhorn_zpsd788f34a.jpg]
Along with the trophies will be something even better. The winner of the best newcomer will receive 25$ USD in amazon gift cards. The overall winner will receive 50$ USD in amazon gift cards. That's right, the cash prizes are back! If by chance the best newcomer is also the best overall map, that person will be awarded both prizes.
We encourage that you let us know if you are entering and sharing your map progression along the way if you don't mind doing so.
Good luck to all entrants, I hope we see a decent flow of competitors!
Thanks to Ronald_Reagen, Mousikos, and Jack-is for judging, thanks to RKTnoob for providing the trophies, thanks to any mappers who enter, and thanks to all the players who will play these released maps.
Many thanks for reading and happy mapping!
Entries:
ac_DEStiny by nightmare
rapier by RKTnoob
ac_tanglewood by Z3RO
frozen_cavern by L'enmerduer (newcomer)
ac_rampart by DogDancing
Thanks given by:
(15 Jan 15, 06:00PM)Pi_Halo Wrote: We encourage that you let us know if you are entering and sharing your map progression along the way if you don't mind doing so.

Entering.
Thanks given by:
Sign me up!
Thanks given by:
how fast do you think i can get a map done?

(15 Jan 15, 06:00PM)Pi_Halo Wrote: Custom Media is allowed. Custom skybox, textures, mapmodels, sounds, etc, are allowed and there is no limit to the number you may use.

oh rip me

i offer a suggestion: instead of allocating 1/6th of the points for layout quality, why don't you allocate at least 1/2? i think it is better to encourage mappers to make enjoyable maps rather than pretty ones.
Thanks given by:
(15 Jan 15, 09:37PM)Undead Wrote: i offer a suggestion: instead of allocating 1/6th of the points for layout quality, why don't you allocate at least 1/2? i think it is better to encourage mappers to make enjoyable maps rather than pretty ones.

I back this
Thanks given by:
There is more to a map then a layout. If a map has a good layout and no sounds, no textures, no lights, or detail then its not a good map. Half the points going to layout would be pointless in a MAPPING contest. Its a mapping contest, showing what different users can do mapping, not creating layouts. Its the combined items that create a map.

Also, let it be noted, that if your map fits RK's contest that it can be entered here as well. I realize the chances of such are slim, but on the rare chance that your map for RK was castle/palace, it can still be used again.
Thanks given by:
(15 Jan 15, 11:52PM)Pi_Halo Wrote: There is more to a map then a layout. If a map has a good layout and no sounds, no textures, no lights, or detail then its not a good map. Half the points going to layout would be pointless in a MAPPING contest. Its a mapping contest, showing what different users can do mapping, not creating layouts. Its the combined items that create a map.

ladies and gentleman, this is the attitude that created stellar. i, too, was previously a victim to this mantra, but i have since broken free from its oppressive grasp.

i'm sorry, if you're really allocating 1/6th (1/6th? wtf.) of the points to gameplay, you're encouraging people to create terrible (but pretty) maps that won't get played. look at the difference in quality between the official cavern and cavern1.2, despite cavern1.2 being worse in terms of the other 5 aspects of your list.

i also find it amusing that the most qualified judge to judge based on gameplay quality is you.
Thanks given by:
Replace terrible maps with terrible layouts. A layout does not equal a complete map nor half a map for that matter.
Thanks given by:
(16 Jan 15, 12:00AM)Pi_Halo Wrote: Replace terrible maps with terrible layouts. A layout does not equal a complete map nor half a map for that matter.

wow halo, you really addressed my key points in a reasonable way there.

the gameplay IS the map. that is what makes a great map a great map. a great map isn't defined by how well you can abuse the cube engine.  

i know i'm cutting you deep here, because ac_stellar is a pristine example of what i'm talking about, but please, take a step back, divorce your ego from the situation, and realize what you know to be the truth.
Thanks given by:
I think that equal points for each judged aspect is very reasonable. 

You are right that gameplay plays a key role in how players experience a map but this initial experience can vary greatly and ratings are probably gonna be biased. (1/2 WTF?!) 

Quality does never result from only one criteria.

A possibility would maybe be to only rate theme, detail and gameplay while extrapoints can be given for texturing, lighting and sounds. How much extrapoints could be given at max. Should be discussed between judges (1-3?) 

Other than that, count me in anyways! :) 
Thanks given by:
NO. A mapping contest is great. This mapping contest is awesome, but the judges ARE NOT. Only 4 of you? Really? Not even a tie-breaker among you makes me wonder which way the votes will go... Such successes as stellar and wasteland...

More judges. Not too many more, but a solid representation of players from all aspects of the game. Is that possible? Playability should be an important aspect of the grading scale not just for competitive folks who've been around the block and know the games balances but it should prove itself worthy where nubs and the uninitiated are concerned.
Thanks given by:
Where is the competitive scene represented in the judges?
Thanks given by:
Technically speaking, adding more judges won't stop there from being a tie. This isn't an f1 vs f2 vote, its based off scores and the average of said scores, thus as many judges as you want to place, you still technically could have two maps tie, though with each additional judge the possibility does become less of a chance.
Thanks given by:
I'm not going to enter the debate of whether it should be called official or not because I don't truly understand what official means but i would like to see 4 more judges selected by the man himself jimjames(jamz) and then have at it gentss

obligatory jimjames video

halo it's the judges credibility I question, did you select all 3?
Thanks given by:
Well, Ronald_Reagen has done great work in the past with previous contest and providing help where he can to mappers. Rad (or Mousikos) actually came to me asking about mapping contest. He was interested in starting his own contest, and thats why he was asking about mapping categories in a different topic. However, I told him I was in the middle of trying to organize a contest if he wanted to help with it first and learn so he can understand his better, and be able to provide for his contest in the future better. Now, Jack-is I guess I am guilty of selection all on my own with no previous knowledge of his judging or without him asking me. So I will take credit for that one. I actually would be open to a 5th judge if it were someone that would be a quality judge. The contest has seen a lot of judges over the years, both good and bad (8th contest was about as bad as it gets judging wise). I didn't have any real idea or much to go on for a possible 5th person. Most of the people I would like to see judge a contest have either already have done so and don't want to again or just don't want to in the first place. Of course if you leave how the judges are picked for the contest up to the community, you'll get another popularity contest like the 6th mapping contest.
Thanks given by:
(16 Jan 15, 12:10PM)Marti Wrote: Where is the competitive scene represented in the judges?

Does it matter when 5/6th of the score is how much make-up you put on your map this morning? And the 1/6th gameplay area could be designed for casual pubs/intras as well.

For the record, I don't care either way, just saying. ^^
If Exo goes through with his contest, that might be the one that'd require Vanquish, Undead, etc.
Thanks given by:
right. you clearly have no idea what you're doing.
someone else can go and collect their free $50.
Thanks given by:
it should be taken into consideration that more judges might also lead to a delay regarding the results once the actual mapping is done ...

Undead Wrote:right. you clearly have no idea what you're doing.
someone else can go and collect their free $50.

why do you seem so butthurt over something that could easily be sorted with community input?

Halo Wrote:I actually would be open to a 5th judge

its not that Halo is narrow minded... srsly

personally I'd be happy to see either Undead or ExodusS, maybe also yopa as a 5th judge
Thanks given by:
(16 Jan 15, 03:23PM)Robtics Wrote: why do you seem so butthurt over something that could easily be sorted with community input?

its pretty obvious he isn't going to change his mind.
Thanks given by:
why should he, the majority seems to be ok with his idea of the contest

read again and you will see that he is even willing to adjust
Thanks given by:
(16 Jan 15, 03:32PM)Robtics Wrote: why should he, the majority seems to be ok with his idea of the contest

read again and you will see that he is even willing to adjust

where did he say he was willing to adjust?

if the majority are ok with 1/6th of points being allocated to gameplay, then they can enjoy their shitty maps for all i care.
Thanks given by:
(16 Jan 15, 12:10PM)Marti Wrote: Where is the competitive scene represented in the judges?

Hi.
Thanks given by:
(16 Jan 15, 04:22PM)Mousikos Wrote:

Hi.

BoB plays competitive? :$

:D
Thanks given by:
Remember that the judges cannot participate. While I'd love to see what Undead has to say about all the maps entered, I think it would be great to see a map that he entered.

Honestly, I don't judge texturing and lighting based off of how much of each was spammed around the map. I judge based off of how well textures were used. Lighting is very much the same way. It all depends on the style of the map.

I agree that some reordering of the categories might be needed. Perhaps we will come up with something new.

Also, if you want a discussion about possible changes, feel free to find me on IRC. I may not be active all of the time (I've started using a bouncer), but if I'm on when you are, I'll reply.
Thanks given by:
(16 Jan 15, 02:59PM)Nightmare Wrote: If Exo goes through with his contest, that might be the one that'd require Vanquish, Undead, etc.

I'm not a mapper and thus I'm not able to really judge anything on detail or lighting beyond making incredibly low-depth observations such as "that looks pretty" or something similar. However I believe I'd be highly qualified to judge a map based on its gameplay, but that's it. It's for this reason that I wouldn't want to be a judge unless there were judges for each separate category and then I'd be delegated one specifically to gameplay or something, which I'd be happy to do.
However if Exoduss takes his mapping contest seriously he wouldn't allow me to judge someone's use of heightfields for example, I don't even know how to make a heightfield. My greatest mapping achievement to date was collaborating on "lss_brasil_larry_sex_remix_2015" with Undead, DamDam, Marti and some others, and I guess that speaks for itself.

As far as all-around judges go, I'd agree with Robtics that yopa would be a great choice, Undead too.
Thanks given by:
I agree with RR's sentiment, it would be nice to see somebody of undead or yopa's calibre actually enter the contest rather than judge.
Thanks given by:
(16 Jan 15, 04:31PM)Marti Wrote: BoB plays competitive? :$
:D

Ahahahaha =P
Thanks given by:
(16 Jan 15, 08:21PM)Ronald_Reagan Wrote: Remember that the judges cannot participate. While I'd love to see what Undead has to say about all the maps entered, I think it would be great to see a map that he entered.

Honestly, I don't judge texturing and lighting based off of how much of each was spammed around the map. I judge based off of how well textures were used. Lighting is very much the same way. It all depends on the style of the map.

I agree that some reordering of the categories might be needed. Perhaps we will come up with something new.

Also, if you want a discussion about possible changes, feel free to find me on IRC. I may not be active all of the time (I've started using a bouncer), but if I'm on when you are, I'll reply.

You know, it's funny you should mention that. As much as Undead complains about judging, he neither maps nor volunteers to judge. I think we have a classic case of a one hit wonder. What I'll also say is if a layout is more important to a judge, it will be judged more harshly. Of course, Undead would fail to understand that.

Looking forward to seeing your entry.

Small edit: Who'd have Undead as a judge. He bitches about everything other than Exoduss and his own work.
Thanks given by:
I will make a compromise here. Right after this contest and the results are released, we, as in the judges and whoever wants to voice their opinion, will open a topic, have irc discussions, whatever, to try to rework the contest to suit more people. I don't see the point of having long discussions of what should be changed in the middle of a contest, so the best time would be a dead-zone where one isn't occurring. So while it might be a bit, and obviously isn't going to happen right now, I will at least listen to valued opinions, however, do so elsewhere and keep this on topic. Thanks.
Thanks given by:
(16 Jan 15, 10:58PM)Snoosnoo Wrote: You know, it's funny you should mention that. As much as Undead complains about judging, he neither maps nor volunteers to judge. I think we have a classic case of a one hit wonder.

i don't have a problem with judging, but i have made it known that i would rather make a map, provided that the judging is less BS.

(16 Jan 15, 10:58PM)Snoosnoo Wrote: What I'll also say is if a layout is more important to a judge, it will be judged more harshly. Of course, Undead would fail to understand that.

no, it won't. it gets 5/6ths of points for other aspects, then 1/6th of points for gameplay. you can't take points from the other sections just because the gameplay is lacking.

(16 Jan 15, 10:58PM)Snoosnoo Wrote: Small edit: Who'd have Undead as a judge. He bitches about everything other than Exoduss and his own work.

do you even read my posts or do you just automatically react negatively to criticism? or are you just angry that a requirement of strong gameplay would lose you any chance of winning the contest?

leave it there please, you're making a dick out of yourself.

(16 Jan 15, 11:22PM)Pi_Halo Wrote: I don't see the point of having long discussions of what should be changed in the middle of a contest

this doesn't really matter considering the competition just started

i don't accept this compromise. make a (logical) decision in the immediate future instead. making a map isn't fun when you aren't 100% on what you're being judged being judged on.
Thanks given by: