Who's up for a mapping competition?
(12 Jan 15, 03:51AM)RKTnoob Wrote: This is my entry.
I hope you enjoy it!

Hi RKT, so far as I can tell, the template hasn't been used in that map, so as awesome a map as it is, unless you can prove to me that the rules have been reasonably followed, it won't be allowed as an entry.

(26 Jan 15, 11:02PM)Pi_Halo Wrote: Here is my entry.

Coal by Halo & Snoosnoo.

Very well done, love the extra bits in the shaft, such as the beams to assist in moving between levels and the broken wall.

(27 Jan 15, 12:10AM)MPx Wrote: Explain this.
Map height density information for ac_shine: H = 15.49 V = 715026, A = 46169 and MA = 1444

Jan 25 01:13:39 MAP CHECK FAIL: Too high height in some parts of the map (67284 hits)

Jan 25 01:13:39 client U|MPx failed to call a vote: load map 'ac_europa_v2' in mode 'deathmatch' (invalid vote)

Jan 25 01:13:43 client U|MPx called a vote: load map 'ac_europa_v2' in mode 'coopedit'

Jan 25 01:13:43 loaded map packages/maps/servermaps/incoming/ac_europa_v2.cgz, 5765 + 36259(7828) bytes.

Jan 25 01:13:43 Map height density information for ac_europa_v2: H = 13.59 V = 616422, A = 45366 and MA = 435

and still says that can not be playable on multiplayer.. o.o I don't understand.

Quick though: Have you ensured that you've solid-ized the unused spaces? In the template, I left all the space open to assist in understanding the template, which would in turn, break the mapcheck.
Thanks given by:
I didn't use the template because I made before it was published. After you published it I tried my hand at it, made about 3 layouts, but I didn't like any of them so I scrapped them all because I didn't like any of them. In a broader sense, one could argue that my map follows the spirit of the compo (elevator shaft with 5 vertical levels) but weather you'll allow it or not is up to you, not me.

On a side note, and I don't know how did you miss this:

"Due to the limitations of the Cube engine, it's simply not possible to build a second floor out of geometry. You can however use architectural mapmodels to create them... but don't try to build a 5-storey building with them"

from http://assault.cubers.net/docs/mapediting4.html

Do as you like, it's your compo, I'm glad I made a map and learned a few things, if it fails to enter, it fails, there'll be other compos. o/
Thanks given by:
for 15 cubes, my map will not be available to be played on multiplayer. hehe. The problem it's on the elevator shaft.. If I 'scroll down' those 15 cube [in the shaft] the map can load on multiplyer.. but.. that will block the entrance to the 5th floor.

nevermind.. :|

I will not participate.
Thanks given by:
Does this mean the contest is over? If so, that means I'm the only legit entry. I say with all the troubles the website had near the end of this contest, open it back up for a few more weeks just to see if anyone else enters. I don't want to win just because no one else entered, I want to win because of hard work and skill.
Thanks given by:
Although you will without fail take a win by default Mr. Halo sir. I liked the 5 level concept as was done in ac_coal but tbh isn't there a better way to implement such a requirement other than some random coal mine in the middle of nowhere? Like legit... why are RVSF and CLA fighting over coal anyways? Shouldn't they be agitated over bigger and better things by now? Like lithium, uranium, platinum, rum-i-num, idfk.
Thanks given by:
(29 Jan 15, 01:37PM)RKTnoob Wrote: I didn't use the template because I made before it was published. After you published it I tried my hand at it, made about 3 layouts, but I didn't like any of them so I scrapped them all because I didn't like any of them. In a broader sense, one could argue that my map follows the spirit of the compo (elevator shaft with 5 vertical levels) but weather you'll allow it or not is up to you, not me.

On a side note, and I don't know how did you miss this:

"Due to the limitations of the Cube engine, it's simply not possible to build a second floor out of geometry. You can however use architectural mapmodels to create them... but don't try to build a 5-storey building with them"

from http://assault.cubers.net/docs/mapediting4.html

Do as you like, it's your compo, I'm glad I made a map and learned a few things, if it fails to enter, it fails, there'll be other compos. o/

(04 Feb 15, 03:40AM)Pi_Halo Wrote: Does this mean the contest is over? If so, that means I'm the only legit entry. I say with all the troubles the website had near the end of this contest, open it back up for a few more weeks just to see if anyone else enters. I don't want to win just because no one else entered, I want to win because of hard work and skill.

I agree. Anyone that wants to enter, may continue to do so. New deadline 21/02/2015.

@MPX: Your issue can probably be fixed, take a look at Halo's map for an example, maybe ask him or myself on co-op if we're online so we can show you.

@RKTnoob: This is why you shouldn't attempt to get a headstart when the competition hasn't started (see court case tourtise v. hare). If you want to enter still, by all means. Sorry that your map (which is really very very good) can't be entered in it's current state.

@MrShimmy: Coal's real valuable, can be used in eco-terrorism, manufacturing or just fueling stuff... a coal mine is therefore very feasible. Also, what's to say that CLA didn't join up with striking miners?

@RKTnoob: "five storey building" != a building with 5 levels.
Thanks given by:
My suggestion to MPx would be to lower some other ceilings. A few here and a few there might work. Because our main elevator shafts aren't much difference in heights (actually mine is a few cubes higher than yours is). So if you were able to lower majority of the map, even by 1 cube, you might see a large difference in the height check if I am not mistaken. I could be wrong completely and you might have already tried doing so. If that is the case then it's a problem a bit deeper and would require more work.
Thanks given by:
The difference between good mappers and mappers is clear...
Thanks given by:
Yeah, some make good playable maps that follow rules and guidelines, and some are me. ^^
Thanks given by:
and some mapper hit the "map restrictions wall" without notice it. lel

I will try to down some ceiling. but I'm afraid that will not make too much difference. idk. If you want to take a look http://mpx-ac.blogspot.com.ar/2015/01/aceuropa2.html that version is 52 i guess. I have another one (78) but i didnt uploaded yet and this one is closer to pass the map restriction without "glitches abuse" like others maps do..
Thanks given by:
(04 Feb 15, 08:56PM)MPx Wrote: and some mapper hit the "map restrictions wall" without notice it. lel
I will try to down some ceiling. but I'm afraid that will not make too much difference. idk. If you want to take a look http://mpx-ac.blogspot.com.ar/2015/01/aceuropa2.html that version is 52 i guess. I have another one (78) but i didnt uploaded yet and this one is closer to pass the map restriction without "glitches abuse" like others maps do..
Maximum "height check" is 50,000.

Type /showmapstats to see.

If you remove the areas in your map, where you've made ladders that span 3+ storeys, that'll bring it under 50k. Maybe try replacing them with something that doesn't require such a large height in one place.

Note: this is a map 'challenge' for a reason ;) - the map looks really good :)
Thanks given by:
I suppose it has expired again. Looks like no one else is going to enter, thats a shame.
Thanks given by:
Congrats halo
Thanks given by:
A nice big congrats for Halo and I would be nice, Randum.

(29 Jan 15, 07:23AM)RandumKiwi Wrote:
(26 Jan 15, 11:02PM)Pi_Halo Wrote: Here is my entry.

Coal by Halo & Snoosnoo.

Very well done, love the extra bits in the shaft, such as the beams to assist in moving between levels and the broken wall.

There's a bit more to the map than just the shaft. Don't forget the balls
Thanks given by: