Who's up for a mapping competition?
(08 Jan 15, 01:45PM)Pi_Halo Wrote:
(01 Jan 15, 08:45AM)RandumKiwi Wrote: The public would then vote on the best layout.

Is that really a smart idea? See the 6th mapping contest where a terrible map was voted the winner while a map that later became official was not. I predict something similar happening here.

Fine, this will be reviewed and how the winner is decided will be announced shortly.
Thanks given by:
I thought the vote-stacking in that contest was very fair, what are you on about Halo?
Thanks given by:
Since everyone seems content on trying to get a head start, I'm releasing the map right now: http://www.gibbed.me/ac_hoist_template.zip

Anyone else that still wants to join the competition, please download the map and start competing. Deadline for a map layout to be provided is 31/01/2015 @ 22:00 GMT.

All map layouts must be posted to this thread by the deadline to be a valid entry - there is no requirement to register your entry in any other way. If you have not previously registered, there is no need to do so - just ensure you post by the deadline.
Thanks given by:
in my map, the first floor is the 3rd floor from the map template. There's no issues to swap the floors, right? or they must be on the same place?
Thanks given by:
"- Feel free to change any aspect of the template, but the original pathways must remain in their places."

I'm not sure about how much freedom we are allowed, but I'd be glad if I can change the elevator shaft slightly, as I'm having trouble because it's pretty cramped and doesn't traverse easily in some directions. That ladder especially is a death trap, and seeing how there isn't much room for maneuvering a few nades in that shaft could make for a slaughterhouse, especially considering a situation where there are more than 3 people in the shaft at the same time.

I also wanted to ask about the elevator itself, it seems to me that one face is missing, it's the one on the inside, with the mesh door. Does anybody have a fix for this?
Thanks given by:
(10 Jan 15, 01:00PM)RKTnoob Wrote: "- Feel free to change any aspect of the template, but the original pathways must remain in their places."

I'm not sure about how much freedom we are allowed, but I'd be glad if I can change the elevator shaft slightly, as I'm having trouble because it's pretty cramped and doesn't traverse easily in some directions. That ladder especially is a death trap, and seeing how there isn't much room for maneuvering a few nades in that shaft could make for a slaughterhouse, especially considering a situation where there are more than 3 people in the shaft at the same time.

You could add some obstacles/ledges/... in the elevator shaft to make it easier to traverse.
You can crouch jump into the elevator when you're at the top of the shaft, so I don't see why the ladder is a dead end?
But I'm quite sure that the elevator may be adapted so you can easier reach the upper platform.

Quote:I also wanted to ask about the elevator itself, it seems to me that one face is missing, it's the one on the inside, with the mesh door. Does anybody have a fix for this?

It's indeed missing, I think it has always been like that, hasn't it?
Thanks given by:
Sorry, the ladder is not a dead end, it's just that it's so long, so when you get on it, you'll prolly die if anyone comes along before you can manage to retaliate, and seeing how it's a heavy traffic area, that's gonna happen more than less. As for ledges, I was thinking more of making the shaft a bit bigger, to have a bit more room to manouver.
As for the elevator, if other people don't mind a missing face, that's okay then =D
Thanks given by:
(10 Jan 15, 02:52PM)RKTnoob Wrote: Sorry, the ladder is not a dead end, it's just that it's so long, so when you get on it, you'll prolly die if anyone comes along before you can manage to retaliate, and seeing how it's a heavy traffic area, that's gonna happen more than less.

Well, that's a good point.
This will also make that the team who spawns higher/lower might get an advantage, depending on the mode.
(e.g. if you need to return to your base with a flag)

Quote:As for the elevator, if other people don't mind a missing face, that's okay then =D

If people are ment to go in the elevator, then it should be patched...
Thanks given by:
(10 Jan 15, 12:10AM)MPx Wrote: in my map, the first floor is the 3rd floor from the map template. There's no issues to swap the floors, right? or they must be on the same place?
Feel free to change any aspect of the template, but the original pathways must remain in their places. Keep in mind that the solid walls in the template are there to keep WQD down.

(10 Jan 15, 01:00PM)RKTnoob Wrote: I'm not sure about how much freedom we are allowed, but I'd be glad if I can change the elevator shaft slightly, as I'm having trouble because it's pretty cramped and doesn't traverse easily in some directions.
The rules are fairly straight-forward: Feel free to change any aspect of the template, but the original pathways must remain in their places.

So yes, you can change the elevator shaft slightly. Anyone arguing about it being a death trap: this is only supposed to be one way of traversing the map, you need to create the others (also, feel free to change the shaft to your liking, so long as the pathways to the shaft remain the same).

(10 Jan 15, 01:00PM)RKTnoob Wrote: I also wanted to ask about the elevator itself, it seems to me that one face is missing, it's the one on the inside, with the mesh door. Does anybody have a fix for this?
No, but for now pretend its there. If required, updates to the mapmodel can be made later.

Pi_Halo Wrote:Alright, a few questions
Can i open the back wall behind the elevator? it won't be a playable area, i just need to do so in order to go the theme i want to
Can any of the paths in be slightly changed, either direction they open up or the length of them?
Does it have to be a map that fits say something like ctf or can it be tdm or even ffa?
Is there going to be any extension on time for people who want to produce it as a full map or do we still have to follow the time line? (cause a few weeks isn't that much for the working people who have a job and want to do the map completely instead of just a layout)
 - Yes, of course you can open the elevators back wall. I encourage it.

- See above, re: pathways. I'm happy to allow you to shorten their length if required, so long as the pathway feels in a similar route as before.

- Pick any mode.

- Again, the deadline is there because it's just a layout. You can always produce a full map later. Is everyone happy with the deadline of 31/01?
Thanks given by:
Good to know we can change the shaft... Maybe I should start from fresh template again :p
Thanks given by:
(10 Jan 15, 08:40PM)MathiasB Wrote: Good to know we can change the shaft... Maybe I should start from fresh template again :p

Yes, this is fine, so long as the resulting elevator shaft still feels like an elevator shaft.
Thanks given by:
(10 Jan 15, 09:41PM)RandumKiwi Wrote: Yes, this is fine, so long as the resulting elevator shaft still feels like an elevator shaft.

Why did you create a bad template then? I asked for rules and you did not post a single one, people are now asking for what they can do and what they can't but those who started the map before, respecting the template (which IMO sucks A LOT) are just disadvantaged.

I'm out of this joke.
Thanks given by:
(11 Jan 15, 01:17PM)ExodusS Wrote:
(10 Jan 15, 09:41PM)RandumKiwi Wrote: Yes, this is fine, so long as the resulting elevator shaft still feels like an elevator shaft.

Why did you create a bad template then? I asked for rules and you did not post a single one, people are now asking for what they can do and what they can't but those who started the map before, respecting the template (which IMO sucks A LOT) are just disadvantaged.

I'm out of this joke.

You already put lots of effort in your map?
Thanks given by:
(11 Jan 15, 02:05PM)MathiasB Wrote: You already put lots of effort in your map?

I just tried a few possible ways from the template, it took me around an hour, I'm not complaining for myself, complete rules is just something I asked for, RK replied with "no need" and now it seems things are changing, probably, in a day or two, we will be able to recreate or completelly adjust the template for the map needs. It makes me regret Halo as mapping competition organizer.

Also, not everything I say is related to me only.
Thanks given by:
(11 Jan 15, 04:15PM)ExodusS Wrote:
(11 Jan 15, 02:05PM)MathiasB Wrote: You already put lots of effort in your map?

I just tried a few possible ways from the template, it took me around an hour, I'm not complaining for myself, complete rules is just something I asked for, RK replied with "no need" and now it seems things are changing, probably, in a day or two, we will be able to recreate or completelly adjust the template for the map needs. It makes me regret Halo as mapping competition organizer.

Also, not everything I say is related to me only.

You regret Halo as mapping competition organizer? Then it's a good thing this one is organized by RK...
Thanks given by:
[Image: psylogo.png]
The PSY mappers are now signed in to the competition!

Look forward to enjoy a PSYCHOMAP!
Thanks given by:
It was pretty obvious, that the resulting map must have an elevator shaft in it.
Thanks given by:
(11 Jan 15, 09:02PM)RandumKiwi Wrote: It was pretty obvious, that the resulting map must have an elevator shaft in it.

But it wasn't really obvious that one could alter the shaft itself... :)
Thanks given by:
I would like to point out, the rules themselves haven't changed (apart from how the winner will be chosen), only clarification has been given as time has gone on.

If you need anything else clarified, do as you've done so far - just ask.
Thanks given by:
This is my entry.
I hope you enjoy it!
Thanks given by:
(12 Jan 15, 03:51AM)RKTnoob Wrote: This is my entry.
I hope you enjoy it!

THAT IS FRICKIN SICK MAN
Thanks given by:
(12 Jan 15, 03:51AM)RKTnoob Wrote: This is my entry.
I hope you enjoy it!

Ow gosh, sick.
Lol i will never reach something like that!
Thanks given by:
Wow, great one, RKTnoob. I loved every single texture and the way you used them, especially that blue/white one, which I have been looking for just...forever!

Perfect for a prison-themed map <3

Ehrm, sorry for the slight OT, great entry anyway!
Thanks given by:
Here is my entry. :| It used to work at the beginning but, for some reason, I screwd it and I dont know what the heck..
MAP CHECK FAIL: Too high height in some parts of the map (87136 hits)
Map height density information for 'my_map': H = 15.83 V = 759938, A = 47999 and MA = 881

I know the H means Height, but what's does means the others (V - A - MA)?
Thanks given by:
I'm guessing Height, Volume, Area, Main Area.
Thanks given by:
I believe MA is maximum area.
Thanks given by:
Here is my entry.

Coal by Halo & Snoosnoo.
Thanks given by:
Explain this.
Map height density information for ac_shine: H = 15.49 V = 715026, A = 46169 and MA = 1444

Jan 25 01:13:39 MAP CHECK FAIL: Too high height in some parts of the map (67284 hits)

Jan 25 01:13:39 client U|MPx failed to call a vote: load map 'ac_europa_v2' in mode 'deathmatch' (invalid vote)

Jan 25 01:13:43 client U|MPx called a vote: load map 'ac_europa_v2' in mode 'coopedit'

Jan 25 01:13:43 loaded map packages/maps/servermaps/incoming/ac_europa_v2.cgz, 5765 + 36259(7828) bytes.

Jan 25 01:13:43 Map height density information for ac_europa_v2: H = 13.59 V = 616422, A = 45366 and MA = 435

and still says that can not be playable on multiplayer.. o.o I don't understand.
Thanks given by:
the problem is clear : MAP CHECK FAIL: Too high height in some parts of the map (67284 hits)
hits = sum of (height-maxheight) for all the cubes exceeding "maxheight". i don't remember what's the value of maxheight though. maybe something like 30
Thanks given by:
http://forum.cubers.net/thread-1388-post...l#pid21628

a few things changed since 2010, especially new restrictions that contributed to new even worse maps, but that's another story
Thanks given by: