FPS problems
I just installed linux so I had to install AC. I really need some help on this because it is just very annoying.
[Image: fzpgmcek.rjk.jpg]

[Image: fahlnezy.uac.jpg]

So I am running through the map and my FPS will be stable around 300-500 fps. Then all of the sudden it will shoot down to 60 fps for a few seconds and then it will shoot back up. If I could get any help fixing this that would be great. I have done everything in settings like vsync 0 and maxfps 1000 graphic settings horrible. I'm out of ideas.
Thanks given by:
You can change watever setting you want, it won't fix the issue IMO. A change from 400 to 60 isn't because the map has too much details so textreduce won't fix it, graphix details too.

Do you have all the additional libs installed?
Did you try to check your vsync setting while you have this bug? Type "/vsync" while you have this issue, If it returns 1 well now you know something is changing your settings (a script probably), if you are maxed at 60 fps but you are still in vsync 0 or -1, well wtf, your graphic card is probably taking some decisions without asking you or puts itself in security mode because of an overheat or something...
Thanks given by:
It stays on 0 when the bug occurs so I am guessing that it is involving my graphics card.. Thanks for the help Exoduss, you have pointed me in the right direction.
Thanks given by:
Using default/generic drivers?
Thanks given by:
Using the default drivers
Thanks given by:
When I was using Linux, I remember changing the default drivers, in order to get better performance, but I never could get the same result as Windows. Anyway, default drivers ain't the best IMO, you should try messing with that, GL !
Thanks given by:
Sorry, but a FPS rate spanning from 300 to 500 is anything but stable. If your monthly paycheck was changing like this, would you consider your wage to be stable? I guess not.

However, you may always want to cap the refresh rate at a value that your system will manage to maintain at 99% of the time. There's absolutely no reason to melt down your system for FPS boosts a human brain probably can't even recognize. Just try raising the maxfps by steps of 10 starting at 60 and stop where you are no more realizing any differences to the rate you had before. Then you may even have some CPU/GPU resources left to change some graphic settings from horrible (seriously, why even play such a game then?) to moderate or even high.

For instance set /maxfps to 120. Now you'll have indeed a stable FPS rate and the game might run smoother already. Those occasional FPS drops are more likely CPU bound, therefore your graphics card may have nothing to do with this. A truely stable FPS rate which doesn't max out on the CPU can prevent such drops in performance.

Hope that helps.
Thanks given by:
whopxer still plays ac?
Thanks given by:
(28 Oct 14, 09:55AM)Mr.Floppy Wrote: (seriously, why even play such a game then?)

i find this post quite stupid

who the f<3ck plays Assault Cube for the graphics

the myth about the human eye incapable of recognizing FPS over 60 is pointless and doesn't really invalidate anything

the difference between 60 and 120 FPS, in a game like Assault Cube where the crosshair movement is horrendous, is the difference between Heaven and Earth, and I play at 25 FPS

the reason why people sometimes recommend playing framerates over 60 is to decrease input lag, lag that comes from input devices such as the keyboard and mouse, so that one can play better

i don't like it when people use that stupid myth to fight against this argument

because not only is it pointless, it's not even related at all to why people play at over 60 framerates

i like the enter button

i like pie

also v-sync is the worst setting ever invented
Thanks given by:
@G1gantuan:

Actually, I don't quite get what's your point, to be honest.

If you really consider AC at horrible graphic settings a worthwile experience, well good for you, but there are quite a few people that do care about graphics in 3D games, no matter it's AC or any other game.

Secondly, I did not say he should cap it at 60 FPS, did I? I said he may just cap it at a value at which he doesn't recognize any difference anymore and the actual important advice here is, to cap it by all means. If you want a stable rate, read no spikes and no drops, you have to cap that refresh rate first.

See, some peole can't even recognize that < 30 FPS run choppy, yet some claim to feel the difference between 1000 and 1001 FPS. That's about everyone else to find out. I run AC at 120 FPS capped, graphics at 'insane'. However, maxing out on the CPU isn't going to help either way.

Finally, I tried to give helpful advice. If you do know better, you're all free to correct me. I guess someone with 25 FPS can tell me a whole lot about performance. Jesus Christ... why I even reply to this troll.
Thanks given by:
(04 Nov 14, 11:49PM)Mr.Floppy Wrote: why I even reply to this troll.

To avoid him to spread shits and let himself and only himself destroying his computer with his ignorance and his maxfps 0.
I use to set it at 200, so that I don't have to care if it affects me or not, 200 is way more than needed, but it represents nothing to most recent computers.
Thanks given by:
Tbh, I agree with parts of both G1gantuan and Mr Floppy's posts. Regardless of whether or not you can feel it, your mouse movement does lag when you use low framerate values, and that's just a flaw of AC's engine. I don't know about any "keyboard lag" issues that exist as a result of having a low framerate, but there are certainly mouse issues (said it before on another thread, but if you have a somewhat capable PC then try capping your fps at 300 and then capping it at 25, notice how your sensitivity feels much slower at lower framerate values, this exists because of the engine refresh each time a frame is drawn).

For pretty much any non-cube game, I'd completely agree with what Mr Floppy is saying. I'm a sucker for Skyrim at high graphics with some ENB mods because it enhances my playing experience. AC doesn't look terrible if you run it on ultra, but it certainly can't compete with contemporary title games (nor does it try to) and I believe that was the point our friend was making.

And vsync sucks for _any_ fps game unless your GPU supports triple buffering, in which case you should enable it. The difference in input lag is honestly minimal from tests I've conducted, although that will obviously vary from graphics card to graphics card (mine's an 870m).
Thanks given by:
Vanquish, could you check AC 1.0, if the "mouse lag" feels better or worse for you? Also - do you use special high polling rates for your mouse, or is it on default?
Thanks given by:
(04 Nov 14, 11:49PM)Mr.Floppy Wrote: @G1gantuan:

Actually, I don't quite get what's your point, to be honest.

If you really consider AC at horrible graphic settings a worthwile experience, well good for you, but there are quite a few people that do care about graphics in 3D games, no matter it's AC or any other game.

Secondly, I did not say he should cap it at 60 FPS, did I? I said he may just cap it at a value at which he doesn't recognize any difference anymore and the actual important advice here is, to cap it by all means. If you want a stable rate, read no spikes and no drops, you have to cap that refresh rate first.

See, some peole can't even recognize that < 30 FPS run choppy, yet some claim to feel the difference between 1000 and 1001 FPS. That's about everyone else to find out. I run AC at 120 FPS capped, graphics at 'insane'. However, maxing out on the CPU isn't going to help either way.

Finally, I tried to give helpful advice. If you do know better, you're all free to correct me. I guess someone with 25 FPS can tell me a whole lot about performance. Jesus Christ... why I even reply to this troll.

i actually misunderstood a statement of yours. but its k

my system can actually run this game at 60 fps consistently at most maps that aren't effin huge. but i started recording videos and since i'm paranoid and i want to play at a consistent framerate at all times and i have ocd, i started to play at 25 fps.
Thanks given by:
(05 Nov 14, 09:15AM)stef Wrote: Vanquish, could you check AC 1.0, if the "mouse lag" feels better or worse for you? Also - do you use special high polling rates for your mouse, or is it on default?

Testing now - what's the command to show your FPS in 1.0? Tried /showstats and /showfps and neither worked.
I'm using a 500hz (2ms) polling rate, which was the default value before I installed the firmware for my current mouse. I can also test on different mice with other sensors (current one has the Avago ADNS 3090) if that's necessary.

EDIT: Tested using the /maxfps command to see what my current framerate was. There is lag and some weird form of mouse skipping at 30fps when compared to 1000 fps. Unfortunately, since I still can't get the frame counter to work, I have no idea if the 1000 fps was stable or not.

EDIT2: Tested again on my new old mouse, Logitech G400, which has an Avago ADNS 3095. Tried on 500 + 1000hz, the issue is still present. I'd also like to take a moment to point out how awesome this mouse is. I know that isn't relevant but yeah.
Thanks given by:
/hidestats 0 :)
Thanks given by:
vanquish do u know any commands to make the mouse more responsive at 25 fps
Thanks given by:
gigantuan, have you tried /maxfps 50 ? maybe fps will get stable for you.
Thanks given by:
sry no i have fraps running at all times nd i can only get stable fps in every map wid 25 hhh
Thanks given by: