1.1 Sniper messed up
Quote:In the past, it had the (unfair) advantage of headshotting when you shoot above the shoulders. Combined with the fact that all the other guns were pretty weak (maybe except the noobmachinegun), it made it teh king.
Hardly, the true reason sniper was king was because switching to another weapon would instantly reset the "wait time" between sniper shots, allowing you to greatly speed up it's firing rate. Sniper > Pistol > Sniper > Knife > Sniper, etc.
When that got fixed way back (in 0.94 I think, sad day :S) then it was in balance with the other weapons for a while...but armor has always hit snipers hard :(
Thanks given by:
(02 Sep 10, 11:11PM)JMM Wrote: the SMG still has the big bonus of making your opponent's screen go all funkyshiz when you spray at their faces
How is that myth still being perpetuated??

I'm not sure what to make of these evaluations. Yes, I've noticed that SMG has changed. But, for some reason, after practicing with it for a while, it feels like the same old SMG I've gotten used to since the release of 1.0.4. I can still hold my own with it.
Shotgun? Overpowered? Maybe when I'm playing against Carnifex, SparkingPot, millertime, and CheatersRFags at the same time. Yeah, that wouldn't be fair. But usually the players holding the shotgun are not as skilled as them, and it is easy to dodge (especially the players who haven't discovered sensitivity or fov yet).
If you feel like shotgun is overpowered, start concentrating on your footwork and you'll take the "oomph" out of their all-or-nothing weapon.
Thanks given by:
(03 Sep 10, 06:45AM)DES|V-Man Wrote: How is that myth still being perpetuated??
It really does feel like it :/

(03 Sep 10, 05:52AM)Stupefy Wrote: Hardly, the true reason sniper was king was because switching to another weapon would instantly reset the "wait time" between sniper shots, allowing you to greatly speed up it's firing rate. Sniper > Pistol > Sniper > Knife > Sniper, etc.
When that got fixed way back (in 0.94 I think, sad day :S) then it was in balance with the other weapons for a while...but armor has always hit snipers hard :(
I've played both 1.04 and 1.1 lately, and I've noticed I'm getting far more headshots in 1.04 than 1.1 (perhaps luck, noobs staying 1.04?)... and, well, I only started aroud when 1.04 came out, so I have no idea of its previous "kinghood"...
Thanks given by:
(03 Sep 10, 10:56AM)JMM Wrote: I've played both 1.04 and 1.1 lately, and I've noticed I'm getting far more headshots in 1.04 than 1.1 (perhaps luck, noobs staying 1.04?)... and, well, I only started aroud when 1.04 came out, so I have no idea of its previous "kinghood"...
Naw, noobs stay the same.
Its just that the hitbox has changed. In 1.0.4 you could shoot right above their shoulders, and still hit them. Now you have to hit them in the head, which makes much more sense :P
Thanks given by:
(03 Sep 10, 06:45AM)DES|V-Man Wrote:
(02 Sep 10, 11:11PM)JMM Wrote: the SMG still has the big bonus of making your opponent's screen go all funkyshiz when you spray at their faces
How is that myth still being perpetuated??
Now hang on there, are you sure it's a myth? By far SMG's biggest advantage is making it VERY difficult to react to the SMG-user if he sprays you right in the face. It's what makes the SMG one of the most "safe" weapons to use for CTF, you can run away backwards while throwing off the aim of those chasing you.
It's either "shaking" the screen of the target or making it very difficult to aim back, but from my experience it's definitely no myth.
Thanks given by:
Stupefy: Do you use maxroll?
Thanks given by:
(03 Sep 10, 06:35PM)Ronald_Reagan Wrote: Its just that the hitbox has changed. In 1.0.4 you could shoot right above their shoulders, and still hit them. Now you have to hit them in the head, which makes much more sense :P
...yes, I know... read my other post in this thread (and responses to it).
Thanks given by:
JMM Wrote:It really does feel like it :/
I think the effect comes from the distress of being hit and knowing your is health going down. Probably this effect is amplified by things such as
damageindicatoralpha
damageindicatordist
damageindicatorsize
damageindicatortime
damagescreen
damagescreenalpha
damagescreenfactor
damagescreenfade
blood
maxroll
sounds 26 through 31
etc.
I can't find anything in the code that would suggest your opponent's view shakes in any way when you hit them. The devs have specifically stated that this does not occur. So it is a myth.
Thanks given by:
I didn't mean it "shakes" or anything like that, when I said "funkyshiz" I meant "I feel that the visual effects of being shot at with full automatic weapons in the game makes it significantly harder for me to maintain steady aim and land bullets on my target", not specifically whether there was a feature coded just to somehow "disorient" you when you're being shot at.

And I have my maxroll at 0 :/
Thanks given by:
Ohhh ok. Sorry to assume that "funkyshiz" referred to shaking rather than the damagescreen. You can turn those settings off to avoid the effect.
Thanks given by: