AC_Toxic2 - Renovated and Remixed!
I want a 2D sprite over the gate with an arrow pointing down saying "NO CLIP HERE"

IT'S A GOOD IDEA I SWEAR
Thanks given by:
Much better, round modes could be a lot of fun on this.
Thanks given by:
You should ask Halo for help. He's good at adding mapmodels.
I'd be glad to be able to fix a few things, and bring it closer to the official standard for real.
Thanks given by:
(30 Jun 14, 12:50AM)ExodusS Wrote: You should ask Halo for help. He's good at adding mapmodels.
I'd be glad to be able to fix a few things, and bring it closer to the official standard for real.

Ha, very funny, I get it - cause y'all think mapmodels = details.
Thanks given by:
Good map RK i played on it :P ajjajajaja i like the changes now the map has more colour and i think that its more cool :D
Thanks given by:
I could always make a witty comeback and troll just as much as the next person. However, I will take the high road, keep silent, and let my volume of work speak for itself.
Thanks given by:
I am the next person, it was sarcastic btw.
I just wanted to say ac_toxic2 is not so different than the first version, ac_desert, ac_desert2, ac_desert3 ... they are totally different map, only the theme and the use of textures are the same.

As I said, I'd be glad to show you some tips and tricks about hom to make your map look really like the top official ones, also, please change this grass and "castle rock" floor textures. It would give the map a deep breathe.
Thanks given by:
I do agree that calling it a completely new map is quite stupid. It is exactly the same map, just with a face lift. That bothers me to no end. We don't need two official versions of the exact same map. One or the other.
Thanks given by:
Is there any way to make the jump MykeG mentioned harder? It almost seems too easy now.
Thanks given by:
(30 Jun 14, 01:59PM)Pi_Halo Wrote: I do agree that calling it a completely new map is quite stupid. It is exactly the same map, just with a face lift. That bothers me to no end. We don't need two official versions of the exact same map. One or the other.
Why would we keep both? Did anyone suggest that?
With over 1000 map entities, we may end up without any toxic at the end ;)
Thanks given by:
(30 Jun 14, 01:59PM)Pi_Halo Wrote: I do agree that calling it a completely new map is quite stupid. It is exactly the same map, just with a face lift. That bothers me to no end. We don't need two official versions of the exact same map. One or the other.
If I called it ac_toxic, then peeps wouldn't be able to download and use it in this version of the game. We won't be keeping both, only the new one in the new AC release.
(30 Jun 14, 04:05PM)Music Wrote: Is there any way to make the jump MykeG mentioned harder? It almost seems too easy now.
Good.
Thanks given by:
I just downloaded and tested it to see the changes by myself, there are a few important things I need to tell you.

-The use of 45° angles under arches is really ugly, it was really better before

-You lowered the sort of the roof from 8 to 5 cubes, but it's still way to high to be realistic, especially when you enter in the room and see there is like a 10 cubes difference between inside and outside top. I suggest to lower it to 3 or 2, or at least test it, you won't be disapointed.

-We can still go trough the two fences, I think the main reason it was like that at start was because there were no clip entities yet, the fencepost that would be placed for the .cfg clip would be placed in the wall and would not appear at the same level than the floor. But today, in 2014, we have the open fencegate mapmodel wich is the same than the closed one, but opened. It would be perfectly used here and also on ac_elevation. But those easter-eggs are probably mapperss choices I guess.

-The garden double door is not at the center of the wall, it looks really weird. I know you wanted to introduce some more logics in the map because, out of two small doors, there were absolutelly no other links to the outside, but you could use some custom textures to shift the double-doors 1 cube to the right, so that, the doors would appear at the exact center.

-All the ladder entities out of the RVSF base one are 1 cube to high and it makes you "fly" before you fall or doesn't allow you to jump correctly.

-In the room at the left of the green double-doors, if you check at the ceilling, you will see a bad texture use.

-I don't know why you decided to re-clip all the mapmodels by yourself in-game, especially the vertical barrels, but some of them need some clip fixes still, like a few horizontal barrels that would have some weird grenade bounces, a plclip would be apreciated for the broken street light.

-At the second troughable fence, at the place that hosted the kevlar in the past (now a helmet), if you check the broken wall, the roof texture is not the good one.

-A total volume of 128 cubes was destroyed at the old "destroyed wall with ladder", however, a volume of 102 cubes only is pilled up on the ground, where did you put the 26 last cubes? jk
Thanks given by:
(01 Jul 14, 01:52AM)ExodusS Wrote: -A total volume of 128 cubes was destroyed at the old "destroyed wall with ladder", however, a volume of 102 cubes only is pilled up on the ground, where did you put the 26 last cubes? jk

RK please explain.
Thanks given by:
This is a work in progress right?
Thanks given by:
(01 Jul 14, 01:52AM)ExodusS Wrote: A total volume of 128 cubes was destroyed at the old "destroyed wall with ladder", however, a volume of 102 cubes only is pilled up on the ground, where did you put the 26 last cubes? jk
Maybe, I should finally commit the map diff tool :)
(Yeah, I saw the "jk"...)
Thanks given by:
1) Personal taste. I like them - it stays.

2) I'm happy with it as-is. It's realistic enough - not all architecture has to be made to a fashion that you're used to having.

3) It was and always has been intentional on ac_toxic. Please read the before comments regarding this.

4) It looks fine, you're just being bloody picky. Symmetry isn't a requirement.

5) It's intentional, to simulate the fact that you're going 'over' the ladder rungs at the top of the hanging ladders. I believe it does a better job than a clip in this circumstance.

6) Thanks, I wonder how long before I would've noticed it.

7) They were clipped manually, because of some oddities on some models and I though 'shit, bugger it, I'll just clip 'em all manually'. I'm happy with the end result. The clip on the streetlamp is intentional - grenades should bounce off of it. I've had a change of heart though, and changed it to a plclip, with an additional clip inside of it to clip-off the main light part (you'll see in the update).

8) Fixed, thanks.

9) Terrorists threw them at the dog over the wall. They're cruel like that.
Thanks given by:
Do it more toxic, green grass, clean bricks and shining sun arent toxic, it should be more poisoned everywhere.
Thanks given by:
Why don't you make more decent new maps instead of renewing (?) old ones? Sorry for being harsh, but it's quite pointless to me trying to make look better a map like that. You'd put less effort trying to make something less boring and repeating over and over.
Thanks given by:
^You can make a map look better but the changes must be more important than those mades by RK here, you can see still even after a mapenlarge the map fits into a newmap 7 square, same for ac_elevation. EVverything should be way wider than it is actually, the "galery" gameplay can be keep of course, but you must enlarge each coridors and have a better use of the textures, the lightning need a complete rework, delete each lights are remake everything, try to use a different light colour for the inside and the outside, try to add real details (not mapmodels or not destroyed walls), make it official-like.

Even the newest toxic version looks like one of my 10 first maps, no offence but there are a lot of things to improve.
Thanks given by:
(30 Jun 14, 04:05PM)Music Wrote: Is there any way to make the jump MykeG mentioned harder? It almost seems too easy now.

Agreed..
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the constructive feedback guys, really.
Thanks given by:
What do you expect, if all the efforts for the dev go in copy paste version of a map of yours, it seems that's more unconstructive than else...
Come on Nigel, you can do better things rather than toxic and aqueous.... Still unsure how this last one got the official map status, whatever.
Thanks given by:
(09 Jul 14, 10:52PM)RandumKiwi Wrote: Thanks for the constructive feedback guys, really.

(10 Jun 14, 02:26PM)RandumKiwi Wrote: For the next version of AC, ac_toxic will have a face lift to bring it closer to the typical standard of other AC maps.

Ok, now I'll stop beeing hypocrite with you, ac_toxic is not even close to the vision I have (and most of skilled mappers have) of the typical standard of 1.2 AC maps. New mappers like Z3R0 are already thousand miles away from ac_toxic's level of mapping, in fact, it's completelly outplaying the level of mapping of ac_toxic, ac_elevation and certainly 80%+ of the actual official maps, I tried to tell you some tips but your think your personal opinions are the mapping standard.
I'm really serious, if you want to make ac_toxic "looks like" an official map, you have to remake entirely at least half of the map.

The official AssaultCube docs Wrote:Avoid strange gimmicks, such as walk-through doors, as "strange" gimmicks will definitely not be accepted.

Clip the fences or change the official documentation.
Thanks given by:
Sorry for late reply....

Soon available on Github

[Image: G3KYw7z.jpg]
Thanks given by:
*****************! Amazing map!

MOD EDIT: Obscenities removed
Thanks given by:
(04 Nov 14, 01:50AM)Multiverse Wrote: *****************! Amazing map!

dat language, dat forum rules, dat elasticity
Thanks given by:
(01 Jul 14, 01:52AM)ExodusS Wrote: -The garden double door is not at the center of the wall, it looks really weird. I know you wanted to introduce some more logics in the map because, out of two small doors, there were absolutelly no other links to the outside, but you could use some custom textures to shift the double-doors 1 cube to the right, so that, the doors would appear at the exact center.

For future reference how would one make the custom texture in Microsoft Paint for example? How would I make sure I'm moving around a part that is exactly one cube size? How would I make things exactly touch so that there is absolutely no overlapping, or white spaces in between? How do I remove the white space from where I have removed a part of the imagine to place it elsewhere?
What I'm saying is how to I make the frame shift to be exact and mathematical so that it fits on the cubes perfectly (the hinge is ON the edge of the cube and not a smidgen to the inside of the face) and not be chopping and moving bits of the image about like a collage with ugly gaps and overlaps?
Thanks given by:
Sorry being mildly offtopic here.

How is a break in the fence a serious issue?
Thanks given by:
Fixing the garden double-door to how ExodusS suggested, is easy and I could do it in under 5 minutes. I choose not to, because I like it as is.

Symmetry is not something that happens everywhere all the time. It does not have to do so here either.
Thanks given by: