v1.2 Servers owners please read!
Some reports dropped in on irc of players failing to download textures, mapmodels or skymaps when connecting to certain servers.

This ain't at all a bug related to AC but down to servers using outdated map's cfg files that aren't recognized by AKIMBO and thus cannot send missing content to the players.

In the interest of all aspects of the game, server owners should imperatively get acquainted with the auto-download feature implemented from v1.2.0.0.

So, when creating your maprot make sure you are using the adequate material by downloading it first from AKIMBO.

If the map you want to add isn't in our archives (List of available maps so far) even if it doesn't contain any custom content please take some time to upload it here, if you are experiencing any difficulties read this and in doubt, do no hesitate to contact a member of staff, we'll be more than happy to help.

Thank you for your understanding.
Thanks given by:
My 1.2 server uses default maps except for one, but that one is locally on the server and it was converted, since its my map lol
Thanks given by:
I failed to grab the (lol) side of that comment...

(Fake)Edit: Ho yeah, I get it.... one HAS to connect to YOUR server in order to play THAT particular map...
Thanks given by:
I am assuming nothing in asking, but I will preface this with an apology...
Sorry if this is a stupid question, and if this is the wrong place to post this, but I thought it might be relevant to this announcement...
This post is a bit old, but I had a new question...
As I understand you would likely be the subject matter expert on this Cleaner, or you may be able to put me in touch with the right place to find the answer...
There is a conversion script included in the config folder (at least on the Linux version)...
I am curious as to what the difference in conversion is that takes place between the akimbo conversion utility and the convert_mapconfig.sh process?
I am wondering if the convert_mapconfig.sh provides an adequate conversion to these maps, or if that solution is not recommended...
Thanks given by:
Its recommended. Afaik its about the same.
Thanks given by:
Kinda noobish when it comes to linux things, but I recently downloaded cygwin (program that lets windows run .sh files) and was wanting to know how to properly run the conversion file. Every time I try to run it from the config folder it just opens and doesn't do anything. :I
Thanks given by:
outdated cfg should not be problem if someone wants older version or without troll mapmodels ... it still server owners decisions what is played on their server right ?
Thanks given by:
It is still the server owner's choice, for sure....But it is an annoyance to players when half of a custom map that was loaded comes up with 'content missing' textures.
If auto-download is enabled, then it will still try to find the content from akimbo, but because the file paths are different, it fails...So you basically end up dispensing a 'broken' map to everyone who plays there...
Converting the maps makes absolute sense for this reason...
Instead of having to modify pathways or content to make a map work (which will only fix your client and not everyone else), you can convert the map for 1.2 and people with auto-download enabled will get the content the map requires to be viewed as it was intended..
The reason I am trying to push for a better understanding of the convert_mapconfig.sh, is because (and I am guessing largely the reason for most people's resistance...), for large map collections the single map conversion process is quite cumbersome...
With the script you can commit a mass conversion to your entire servermaps folder and even set it to make the original files into .bak so you can recover them later if so desired...

As for usage, D3M0NW0LF, I am unsure how it plays out CygWin, but it has a self-contained help text if you run it with no options in a linux terminal...
Usage: convert_mapconfig.sh MAP_CONFIG_FILE(S)
This script will make a backup of specified map CFG files (into their existing
directory), then using SED it will modify the original map CFG file to be
compatible with the new packaging layout for AssaultCube.

It is suggested not to use this script twice on a file, as it may duplicate the
changes which could cause many errors.

This script can accept multiple map CFG files at once, as well as wild cards, as
well as files in different directories. For example:
    sh convert_mapconfig.sh ../packages/maps/yourmap.cfg ../../mapfolder/*.cfg

Options (must be placed before the CFG filenames):
-h, --help    This help message.
-r, --revert  Revert specified config file(s) to the current ".BAK" file.
-s, --strip   Strips the specified config file(s) of comments, invalid commands,
              leading/trailing spaces/tabs and blank lines.
  -os         Same as --strip, but no compatibility conversion takes place.
  -sp         Same as --strip, but preserves any comments made before the
              mapmodelreset command.
  -osp        Same as --strip, but preserves any comments made before the
              mapmodelreset command AND no compatibility conversion takes place.

I will look into the proper paths in Windows for CygWin usage, if possible....

But this worked for me from a terminal this way...
cd /home/unarmed/AssaultCube_v1.2.0.2/config
bash convert_mapconfig.sh /home/unarmed/AssaultCube_v1.2.0.2/packages/maps/servermaps/*.cfg
Using it this way will convert every file ending with .cfg, using the wild card *
Of course this pathway assumes you irresponsibly copied all of your 1.1.0.4 maps straight into your servermaps folder and you wish to convert them there...If you were trying to convert from an older version it might instead look something like this...
bash convert_mapconfig.sh /home/unarmed/1.1.0.4/packages/maps/servermaps/*.cfg
But, especially in the first case, make sure that NONE of the maps you convert have already been converted or they will become completely unusable...Running the wild card on the official maps folder is a sure way to break them...
Likewise, if you are unsure, but know of a particular map that is not converted, you can reference that map alone, instead of specifying the wild card option.
bash convert_mapconfig.sh /home/unarmed/AssaultCube_v1.2.0.2/packages/maps/servermaps/ac_somemap.cfg
Thanks given by:
Yeah. I downloaded all my server maps from akimbo. But when I want to play a new map I haven't downloaded personally, I have to getmap from the server. Trying to getmap from akimbo fails (iirc getmap is server, getmap <mapname> is akimbo. please correct me if i'm wrong)
Thanks given by:
Have you tried /getmap map_name in singleplayer? Works well for me...
Afaik, it won't work in multiplayer that way...
Thanks given by:
(05 Feb 14, 03:03AM)+f0r3v3r+ Wrote: There is a conversion script included in the config folder (at least on the Linux version)...
I am curious as to what the difference in conversion is that takes place between the akimbo conversion utility and the convert_mapconfig.sh process?
I am wondering if the convert_mapconfig.sh provides an adequate conversion to these maps, or if that solution is not recommended...

I'm almost certain, that the map convert on akimbo and like, are actually based off of convert_mapconfig.sh

So, both would work just fine. Of course, the convert_mapconfig.sh file is better, as it's quicker/simpler (for Linux users, that is).

I'm the author of convert_mapconfig.sh - if you have any issues, let me know (by the way, aren't help files awesome?)
Thanks given by:
(05 Feb 14, 07:18PM)RandumKiwi Wrote: I'm almost certain, that the map convert on akimbo and like, are actually based off of convert_mapconfig.sh

So, both would work just fine. Of course, the convert_mapconfig.sh file is better, as it's quicker/simpler (for Linux users, that is).

I'm the author of convert_mapconfig.sh - if you have any issues, let me know (by the way, aren't help files awesome?)

No issues - It is exactly the reason I asked because no one seemed to really be talking about it...
On that note, Thank You...Seriously, the script is very useful - it was no trouble to use...
If nothing else you saved me a lot of trouble there -so I am very grateful for the contribution...
Thanks given by:
(05 Feb 14, 08:09PM)+f0r3v3r+ Wrote:
(05 Feb 14, 07:18PM)RandumKiwi Wrote: I'm almost certain, that the map convert on akimbo and like, are actually based off of convert_mapconfig.sh

No issues - It is exactly the reason I asked because no one seemed to really be talking about it...
On that note, Thank You...Seriously, the script is very useful - it was no trouble to use...
If nothing else you saved me a lot of trouble there -so I am very grateful for the contribution...

FYI: Future versions will force users to use bash... if anyone executes these files currently with plain ksh, it can cause problems.

https://github.com/assaultcube/AC/commit...410ff22810
Thanks given by:
Sorry for late reply but I've been sort of AFK lately (private stuff)

I basically wrote this so that people get to understand that some servers didn't bother converting maps and that it is a right pain jumping on a map full of missing content.

Also meant to urge people to help every now and then AKIMBO with filling it's archives with updated material, remember that even when you use the cfg converter a manual/visual check is needed.

Even with an builtin auto-convert script it is still wise to upload a safe copy of every single map on AKIMBO, this is why we've set up this site in the first place... To store and make available to everyone a maximum of custom AC material.

@ Alien, I don't grab your comment, a converted map remains exactly the same, may it be 0.93 or whatever it's only the cfg that is modified in order to follow the changes we have made regarding how material is now stored.

@ Mousikos, you can indeed download maps from AKIMBO in single player mode, test it and then send it using get/send command followed by mapname
Thanks given by:
Alea has around 6000 maps and we are trying to make a custom map server and such stuff...
i guess we will convert a lot of maps and make them playable in 1.2 :)
Thanks given by:
Especially for people with thousands of maps, the conversion script is incredibly useful...
And 6000 maps!!!! It would be awesome to see some of those make their way to Akimbo!
In either case, that ought to be an interesting maprot forthcoming...
@PhaNtom....Forget it, man...
Thanks given by:
FYI you don't need to put "python" before the command as you have "#!/usr/bin/python" in your script.

[/pickyness]
Thanks given by:
(08 Feb 14, 03:50AM)PhaNtom Wrote: FYI you don't need to put "python" before the command as you have "#!/usr/bin/python" in your script.

[/pickyness]

autocomplete + cbf'd +x'ing
Thanks given by:
So lets say player2 spends 7 months making a map in 1.104 called Twin_Towers@Camper and everyone agrees its the most beautiful map ever created. He wants to share this map on a server so he has 2 options:
The wrong way:
/sendmap Twin_Towers@Camper
/tdm Twin_Towers@Camper

Since he didn't upload to akimbo the others will see missing content and missing models even if they have the models and textures.

So, to do this the right way I am guessing he would need to do the following (feel free to edit this for correctness):

Map .cfg Converter
Convert any old maps to make them compatible with v1.2
Map .cfg Converter (link to another page)

Files Packaging

The first thing to do is compress your work into a single .ZIP archive file (Currently only .ZIP format is supported).
.ZIP Open Source for all operating systems

This archive must follows AC installation's tree, and has to contain a folder called "packages".
The "packages" directory should be placed at the root of the archive. !
ie: packages/maps/mymap.cgz

Do NOT included unnecessary files or system files into your package (such as thumbs.db or .qc for mapmodels).
Do NOT include files unrelated to AssaultCube.
Do NOT include screenshots to this archive except for map previews (200p x 150p)
MUST include a readme.txt with infos about licenses/author.
Avoid using CAPITAL LETTERS when naming your files.

At last but not least make sure that your package won't overwrite official material (files originally provided within the AssaultCube game download).

Posting Content

Select your material category and click on [Image: newpackage.gif] (link)

Enter the following informations :

Thread Subject: The name of your file.
Attached package: Select the .ZIP archive to upload.
Author: Specify the author's name. Note: Poster's username is applied by default
License: Specify the licenses you want to release the files under (Commonly used in AC "by-nc-nd/3.0" is set by default).
AC Version: Select the version of AC the package was made under.
Tags: Select all tags matching theme(s) of your content.
Your message: Describe your material in details to make it attractive and attach 3 screenshots max at 1024p x 768p max using the "Attachments" form at the bottom left of the page. You can also use the [img] mybb tags (the image will be automatically rehosted on akimbo's server.)

Note: Please add image attachments directly to your post!

You can now post your content !

Package Validation for Auto-Download

Once posted, your package can directly be downloaded from AKIMBO but can't be downloaded from the game before being validated by AKIMBO's team.

Your package will be downloaded and tested by AKIMBO's team. If it satisfies requirements, it will be validated and available directly from AssaultCube.
Once your material is validated this icon [Image: autodl.gif] will appear on the left hand side of your thread.

In order to be validated, your package must respect the following rules :

First check with Auto-Download List of available content if any of your material is redundant, if it is indeed the case simply remove it from you package, if it's already in our databases there is no need to upload it once more.
The license must be compatible with auto-download ie: You may not use this platform for commercial purposes.
Your file must not collide with previously validated packages. The collisions, if detected, are automatically shown in your thread.
Your files must be up to date.

It says "Avoid using CAPITAL LETTERS when naming your files", does this includes the map name or just the content?
What is not explained is how to get only the files needed for the map into the .zip file.

At this point I am guessing player2 can now enjoy playing:
/sendmap twin_towers@camper
/tdm twin_towers@camper

Is it too much to ask for a /convertandpackageandsendtoakimbo command?
Somewhere I read that using the .cfg converter more than once on a file can mess up things, is it also too complex for a script to look for "//ver1.202" at start of file?
Thanks given by:
(08 Feb 14, 04:08PM)[SODA]___ME___ Wrote: Is it too much to ask for a /convertandpackageandsendtoakimbo command?

Note, I created the linux conversion script - I can't code, so wouldn't know how to do this.

Quote:Somewhere I read that using the .cfg converter more than once on a file can mess up things, is it also too complex for a script to look for "//ver1.202" at start of file?[/b]

Oh, you mean like this?
https://github.com/assaultcube/AC/blob/m...#L104-L120

The code has been there all along ;)
Thanks given by: