GIBBED.ME: Your favourite new servers!
Ahoy thar! Today, I officially launch the (hit-fixed) gibbed.me servers.

I'm aiming to show-off the best AssaultCube servers have to offer (so if there's something I can improve, let me know). Check out the server line-up @ http://www.gibbed.me/

They're based in Freemont, California and have the best network backbone available.

Ever wanted to kick the ass of an Australian comrade and not have him bring up ping? This is the place to do it. These servers are the best USA-based pings to Australia/New Zealand. Typical pings to NZ and Europe are less than 200ms. USA pings are tiny.

A plain, official-map only server (16cn):
Morticia @ /connect gibbed.me 1122

A custom-maps and official-maps server (16cn):
Gomez @ /connect gibbed.me 2233

A custom map ONLY server (no official maps), which ONLY runs CTF mode (16cn):
Fester @ /connect gibbed.me 3344

2x match servers (mastermode is changeable - 8cn):
Pugsley @ /connect gibbed.me 4455
Wednesday @ /connect gibbed.me 5566 match

Moritica/Gomez/Fester servers all report to the http://ladder.tearyoudown.com ladder.

(Yes, this does mean that the KiWi.AC servers will close at the end of this month. However, this new server is the next best thing!)

GL, HF... give them a go, you won't regret it!
Thanks given by:
Oh, by the way:

* Anyone that was an admin on KiWi.AC and would like to become an admin on gibbed.me, can e-mail me and I'll set them up.

* Anyone else that wants admin (and wasn't before), can apply to be an admin, please PM me these details:
- Username
- Your preferred password (7+ characters minimum, nothing too easy).
- Your email address.
- Any words you would like to say that would impress me ;)
Thanks given by:
Very sexy pings to a USA server for me, around 145ms to 150ms which are far better (as much as 20ms better) than the other server hosted in Western USA (both present and past).
Thanks given by:
I'm getting 146 ping there, which is about 10-15ms lower than the other servers I've tried located in LA. Nice! :D
Thanks given by:
15 ping in orange county california
Thanks given by:
Best pings to US servers ever - <200ms :O
Thanks given by:
Awesome, RK. Thanks a lot!
Thanks given by:
It would be awesome if you set up a "match" password for the match servers, RK.

I don't want to resort to using admin to vote-kick some stranger to get an inter or a match started.
Thanks given by:
(05 Sep 13, 06:22AM)Fate Wrote: It would be awesome if you set up a "match" password for the match servers, RK.

I don't want to resort to using admin to vote-kick some stranger to get an inter or a match started.

But match passwords, have a downside... anybody can know them. I've instead enabled mastermode.

/mastermode 1 = Closed, anyone can join.
/mastermode 0 = Open, closed, nobody can join.
/mastermoide 2 = Match mode.
Thanks given by:
(05 Sep 13, 09:11AM)RandumKiwi Wrote: But match passwords, have a downside... anybody can know them.
I don't see what's bad about having a password, and everyone/anybody is supposed to know them to use the server. I'm sure everyone knows that "match" is the de facto password for a match server.
In case you didn't really get where I was coming from, I think it would be better if you can't connect to the server through the server list, and instead have to /connect (like the rest of the match servers). FEL's and XRD's match servers are like this, where you can see them on the server list but are password-locked so you need to use its /connect.

(05 Sep 13, 09:11AM)RandumKiwi Wrote: I've instead enabled mastermode.

/mastermode 1 = Closed, anyone can join.
/mastermode 0 = Open, closed, nobody can join.
/mastermoide 2 = Match mode.
I don't get what you mean by this. :o
(I'm confused by mastermode 1 and 0)
Thanks given by:
There is a command called "mastermode" (a lot of server disable it, those 2 match servers I have, enable it). I mixed up my meanings, of course:

/mastermode 0 = Open, anyone can join.
/mastermode 1 = Closed, nobody can join.
/mastermode 2 = Match mode.

If using a password to connect to a match server is actually wanted, I'll enable it - but mastermode was designed for a reason and often it is actually a better choice.
Thanks given by:
Mastermode is good for once the game is going, to keep others out. While the game is still coming together, I think it could go badly with no password.

Suppose you want to start a match, so you tell a couple of people to /connect wha.tev.er. So now you're on a server that reports to the master list and has no password, and you don't set mastermode match yet, because you don't yet have everyone there. Unarmed F. Noobie sees it and decides that TDM Aqueous sounds pretty fun to play, and now you have to deal with getting rid of him and all the other randoms joining in because it looks like a pub game if you don't stop to read the whole server description. So that's a pain in the ass at best, and at worst you have to use admin to fix things and then people whine about that and nobody has a good time.

Suppose instead that you still have the server on the master list, except now you have the usual password of "match" on it. Randoms trying to join what looks like a pub won't get in, while those who are supposed to be there will have no problem. People won't be able to click to connect, but the target audience will quickly figure out why, and they'll know what to do if they want to use that server for a match.

The other way is to keep the server off the master list and have no password. That way you can have an easy /connect, but I prefer the master list advertising space. :P
Thanks given by:
Okay, I'll put a password on Wednesday server right now:
/connect gibbed.me 5566 match

If demand for this server turns out to be quite high, I'll put one on Pugsley too.
Thanks given by:
DEM GIFS. HATE.
Thanks given by:
what's wrong with no password/-mlocalhost ? it reduces the amounts of pings to answer. also it's faster to type if you need to type it.
Thanks given by:
(05 Sep 13, 08:25PM)Luc@s Wrote: what's wrong with no password/-mlocalhost ? it reduces the amounts of pings to answer. also it's faster to type if you need to type it.

free advertisement :P
Thanks given by:
I like up better so you can see who is playing in it.
Thanks given by:
New servers will be compiled during the next 12-24 hours, for version 1.2

In the meantime, the SVN server (Lurch) is available :)

Still looking for admins, by the way: http://forum.cubers.net/thread-7129.html
Thanks given by: