Forum downtime?
So, i think its obvious we've had some downtime..

Is it too early to ask for an official reason as to why it happened?
Thanks given by:
I think it was botnet/ddos, I'd be interested to study the correlations of certain nations that were eliminated from the acwc and when the attacks started.
Thanks given by:
The 3 "W":
- When
- Who
and Why...?!
Thanks given by:
Some more information: http://pbclan.tk/forum/showthread.php?tid=982

I'm sure there will be an official post sooner or later about this.
Thanks given by:
(19 Aug 13, 07:02PM)Vermi Wrote: I think it was botnet/ddos, I'd be interested to study the correlations of certain nations that were eliminated from the acwc and when the attacks started.
LOL that would be funny. Anyway, they also started just after Lucas' post on ACR forums. Not pointing my finger out to anyone, but.... Coincidence?
Thanks given by:
It's back yayyy
Thanks given by:
(19 Aug 13, 08:04PM)Andrez Wrote:
(19 Aug 13, 07:02PM)Vermi Wrote: I think it was botnet/ddos, I'd be interested to study the correlations of certain nations that were eliminated from the acwc and when the attacks started.
LOL that would be funny. Anyway, they also started just after Lucas' post on ACR forums. Not pointing my finger out to anyone, but.... Coincidence?

There is no real reason to consider them as an initiator of the attacks. There are a couple suspects already, however only one person confirmed as working with the attackers (Bull3t).

I think it is needless to say, if you have any information of the attacks, PM one of the devs/forum admins.
Thanks given by:
my question is: will the forum be safe from another attack?
Thanks given by:
Well please, lets not point any fingers untill we get an official verdict!
Thanks given by:
As RR pointed out, Bull3t already admitted to being associated (although perhaps not necessarily the initatior) of one of the attacks.
Thanks given by:
safe to say that Bull3t is a massive faget
Thanks given by:
BTW : A french player named "bull3t" connected to {BoB} teamspeak, i need to know his IP address.
Thanks.
Thanks given by:
Whoever they were it was an epic fail! At no time did they manage to disrupt all servers. Although not many there were always servers to play on in the MS, the loss of the forum will hardly be noticed by some and for others it was a minor inconvenience. So we should all applaud the epic waste of time performed right in front of our eyes and congratulate them on the obvious success of shutting down this community (which continued quite well without the forum for a week).

So I say you should all join me in saying "well done sir" to all involved with this pathetic attempt to destroy AC!

The best way to show how much of a fail this was will be to carry on as normal, let the admins and devs sort out who did what, it was such a fail why should any of us be bothered with it.
Thanks given by:
(20 Aug 13, 07:16AM)DES|Anderson Wrote: The best way to show how much of a fail this was will be to carry on as normal, let the admins and devs sort out who did what

I think this would be the best course of action. The last thing this community needs is a witch hunt.

Thanks given by:
(20 Aug 13, 07:16AM)DES|Anderson Wrote: So we should all applaud the epic waste of time performed right in front of our eyes and congratulate them on the obvious success of shutting down this community (which continued quite well without the forum for a week).

Some people lost a lot of time and money because of that "waste of time".
Thanks given by:
(20 Aug 13, 02:43PM)DrauL Wrote:
(20 Aug 13, 07:16AM)DES|Anderson Wrote: So we should all applaud the epic waste of time performed right in front of our eyes and congratulate them on the obvious success of shutting down this community (which continued quite well without the forum for a week).

Some people lost a lot of time and money because of that "waste of time".
Err excuse my ignorance here but exactly who lost money over this? And I spent quite a bit of time ensuring my servers were available, time I gladly spent and would do again to prove the futility of such attacks.

Now who's out some money and why?
Thanks given by:
Bull3t also targeted the iF site and ausdis servers, basically taking out DrauL's USA and Australian VPS's.
Thanks given by:
I still do not understand why he is out money? this was a DDOS attack not a missile? the servers did not blow up, why is anyone out money?

Anyway I believe what we should be doing is getting on with things as normal otherwise the attackers have won, the best way to beat cyber crime is to demonstrate that it did not achieve its objectives, in this case shutting down the AC community, which to me seems very much alive!
Thanks given by:
Somebody paid for a VPS, who the provider no longer wants to provide = out of money.
Thanks given by:
One provider of DrauL's server refunded him (partially). The other didn't.
Thanks given by:
DES|Anderson Wrote:Err excuse my ignorance here but exactly who lost money over this? And I spent quite a bit of time ensuring my servers were available, time I gladly spent and would do again to prove the futility of such attacks.

Now who's out some money and why?

You really are quite ignorant arn't you.
I really wish all I had to do was restart my servers a couple times to keep them up, but I guess its fine since you wern't targetted at all and first hand experience dealing with it really.

You just to comment on it like you really helped don't you?
Thanks given by:
OK so here you go, ignorant you call me. Hmm I actually work in the computer security industry so actually ignorant I am not! No i was not targeted and I am grateful for that but just because you use a two bit service provider that blows you off because of a DDOS attack is not my problem. If your service provider was in any way decent then you would have legal redress and be able to get your money back, but maybe you are ignorant of the law, I do not know so I wont comment. It is perfectly acceptable to ask exactly how someone has ended up out of pocket over this and my comments were actually about not letting the attackers win so they did have value unlike your comments which served no useful purpose at all.

Such a shame that instead of trying to continue as normal and show that we survived the DDOS attack instead get this, insults and bollocks from uninformed people, you do not know me or what I did or had to do to keep my servers on so do not comment! At least i was good enough to ask what your experience was.
Thanks given by:
And that, children, is how this topic turned from A to B...
Thanks given by:
Well, we're also out a week or so of ad revenues from the site. (and possibly a few donations)

But that doesn't matter. AC will continue to thrive this was just another speed bump.
Thanks given by:
(21 Aug 13, 06:31PM)DES|Anderson Wrote: If your service provider was in any way decent then you would have legal redress and be able to get your money back, but maybe you are ignorant of the law,

Why would a service provider need to keep your server up if you hinder (if it's the right word) his whole network?
Thanks given by:
User agreements lock yo into their own usage policy. If it is a company's policy to cancel your service at any time without a refund for said ddos attacks, then yes he's out a bit of money for something he could not control.

As for the AC ddos, I believe the community is more active than ever because something 'exciting' happened.
Thanks given by:
(21 Aug 13, 09:14PM)X-Ray_Dog Wrote: ...you...

Sorry had to fix that...

But basically you're saying the ddos was a blessing in disguise (community activity wise)?
Thanks given by:
Anderson... why are you being so disagreeable? This "concern" you said you show just seemed to me like you were just being an ass. This isnt a very productive thread anyway, but why be a jerk? Like for no reason at all too! Seriously. You may do "network security" but that dont mean you know everything on the subject Senor Smarty-pants.
Thanks given by:
All is well that ends well. Carry on, friends.
Thanks given by:
Absolutely RiJaKr, I am genuinely concerned though that Draul has lost money through this. I hope it was not too much, as for being a jerk yea like most I can be at times! As anyone that really knows me can tell you though I certainly do not think I know everything and certainly not about network security!
If anyone is interested I can provide some details of hosting that will not kick you out because of DDOS attack, instead they will actively work to counter any such attack. It may be a bit pricey though normally we pay £90 per month but that does not include the server. It would be more economical if a bunch of you got together. That is a tier 2 DC and fitting something like a second hand watchguard box could help stop future attacks, as ignoring any DNS requests bigger than say 600b.

Anyway peace to all....
Thanks given by: