Mute Sounds?
I decided to start using headphones while i play ac.
But its hard to listen to footsteps, pickups, reloads when there is a lot of other noises. What is some specific sound that i should mute to enhance my gameplay?
Thanks given by:
i used crappy headphones for years without resorting to that
Thanks given by:
I always disable my own footsteps, and the music that plays with a flag pickup (though sometimes I turn it back on because I changed it to "raining blood" and it hypes me up :-P). Every other sound at some point can offer some form of tactical advantage, however small.
Thanks given by:
You probably have the volume too loud. Find a comfortable volume first, play with that for a few days then if you still feel like you aren't getting some information you can explore other options. Like a better pair of headphones or fiddling with your sound card settings, muting/changing sounds in-game.
Thanks given by:
IMO, "soundwhoring" in AC doesn't enhance your gameplay as much compared to other games, e.g. CS or BF3. The footstep sound has a very small radius in AC, and due to the fast-paced nature of the gameplay, you'll be next to your opponent by the time you hear their footsteps (usually drowned out by weapons firing).

That aside... you can start off with what Boomhauer said -- disable the sound of your own footsteps and the flag pickup/drop and scoring sounds. I also have voicecoms disabled along with other "useless" sounds like tinnitus and the "pain" sounds.

Further, you can also go full rC ( lol I'm so funny :D ) by further disabling (almost) all the sounds you make (i.e. your weapon's firing sound including its reload sound, weapon switching, jumping, and crouching).
Thanks given by:
Well unlike what Fate said, I would say sound is very important in AC. At least I get loads of infos from it, whether it's how far the player is, if he's reloading, jumping or rifling away... all those infos will have an impact on the following plays. (engaging, hiding, prefiring etc...)

It is also very useful for communication, because you can not only call things that you see, but also things that you hear.

I personally removed the musics (/musicvol 0), because it was very annoying, other than that, my headphones aren't great and pretty cheap. Imo a very high quality sound is not needed, aslong as you pay attention and are very careful to every sound.

Also try to find a compromise between the sound from TS and AC, so you can hear your mates without them ruining the infos you're getting from the AC sound.

tl;dr Sound helps a lot in AC, you just need to pay attention to it.
Thanks given by:
is it hard for people to not hear simultaneous sounds?

i guess the difference is having sounds that are clear.

and quality is never something to be taken lightly. get you some good headphones so you can listen to music and shit. buying something for just ac is a waste. make a good investment with a product you can enjoy time and again.
Thanks given by:
this might not fit in here quite well but I noticed I have a problem with the flagdrop sound.

when I drop a flag and the sound starts to play, my sound gets completly muted (music, ts, ac, whatever else makes sounds stop playing) for aslong as the flagdrop sound plays.

wtf? has anyone got an explanation or solution to this problem? happened to me on acwc client but its only me with this weird problem ;) dw!

edit: I'm on win vista
Thanks given by:
The SVN (and the ACWC client has many things based from it I think) has some sounds problems when you drop flags, and especially when the flag is dropped in water, all sounds are muted during a few seconds, then it comes back to normal.
It doesn't happen on all machines.
Thanks given by:
rob if you increase the sounds at once in the audio settings does it help?
Thanks given by:
@Exo, nicely spotted. I think it was always dropped in water when I noticed

@Wolf, I will try :) Thx!

So after testing this: Exo is right, it only happens when I drop the flag in water AND on a server -> singleplayer works just fine. Wolfs suggestion didnt help tho :/
Thanks given by:
I have tinnitus so headphones are not an option for me and had to mute tinnitus sound, no other changes.
I had same issue as Robtics, 1.1.0.4 win7 64bit AMD hardware, increased sounds at once, changed flagdrop sound (to waterimpact), and it still had same result. The sounds are not actually muted, I hear a faint thump-thump-thump sound untill this passes, maybe it is slowed down too much or it is some kind of overflow issue. The map water-mini by shad-99 is when I first noticed this.
Thanks given by:
Whenever I select [X] footsteps in the sounds menu, I find that it [X] the footsteps option in the "mute individual sounds menu", however, when I deselect the option in the "mute individual sounds menu", footsteps is deselected - either way, I never get any footsteps sounds at all.. Anybody help? :D
Thanks given by: