ac_civic
Another map I made in three days, but this time much more quality and effort in details and gameplay. It really worths it!
[Image: aSwhCmU.jpg]

Info:
Huge urban/industrial with small areas of sewer theme.
Flag/FFA modes capable, with up to 20 players.

Entstats:
259 light
40 playerstart, 10 CLA, 10 RVSF, 20 FFA
4 pistol
6 ammobox
4 grenades
5 health
4 helmet
1 armour
1 akimbo
215 mapmodel, 61 clipped
2 ladder
2 ctf-flag, 1 CLA, 1 RVSF
54 sound
36 clip
3 plclip
3 days of map editing
total entities: 636

Preview:
imgur
Thanks given by:
I just want to say that for a 3 day map, this is a solid map. There is a good flow, the lights and pickups are good. I just would like to see some different variation throughout the map as far as detail goes. Also the similarity between the two bases should be fixed. They both have similar design elements (like the thing behind the fence), the only real way they differ is texture alone. Other then that, I got a few screenshots of some minor issues. All in all, its a solid map that needs little to no work to improve and should play well in game.

Edit: Overall this map is about a 7 out 10 or slightly better. I would like to see you try a map for the contest. You have plenty of time to work on it and I think you would do surprisingly well in the contest. I hope you don't take my words to rough, I'm only trying to provide quality feedback to fellow mappers!
Thanks given by:
Well, thanks for the feedback :)

I'm glad to receive opinions by experienced mappers though, so no problem with that ;)

For the contest thing, why not, I'd give it a try...
Thanks given by:
Liking the mapping spree :)
Thanks given by:
For some reasons I could not see the screenshot before testing it in-game, this will help me to give an objective advice.
I ran all around the map and I think this map is kinda well detailed (at least it's hightly detailed for a 3 days mapping process). Uses of mapmodels are good (nothing impressive but good) and so are clips, especially the fences (you deleted the .cfg clip to put a better one, smoother gameplay yay).
What I think you should improve is the fact you didn't really put rooms in the map (and the mapshot can confirm it). There are rooms, but they are small, almost as small as corridors.
I think bases are not very distinctive since they are a bit similar with the rest of the map.

BTW: Akimbo gives the 1.1 .cfg on the SVN.
Thanks given by:
(04 Apr 13, 10:21PM)ShadowFlameZ Wrote: Liking the mapping spree :)

Yeah, I have many ideas at this time, I just hope to develop them as they deserve to be. ;)

(05 Apr 13, 10:35AM).ExodusS* Wrote: What I think you should improve is the fact you didn't really put rooms in the map (and the mapshot can confirm it). There are rooms, but they are small, almost as small as corridors.
I think bases are not very distinctive since they are a bit similar with the rest of the map.

BTW: Akimbo gives the 1.1 .cfg on the SVN.
I'm still noob at rooms developing, especially when it's about to link them each other, but I also wanted to create a real urban map, so I put all the effort on open streets rather than rooms.
I think though, that the little room with the window mapmodel (THIS) fits perfectly, especially for snipers, who can have fun in there :)

Anyway I didn't get the Akimbo and SVN things... What did you mean?

PS: thanks again for the massive feedback folks ;)
Thanks given by:
How about use your mapping spree to enter the comp? ;) Good job with these two quick maps, Andrez. Rome wasn't built in a day though, so don't feel you should rush the maps!
Thanks given by:
Wow, great job you did there in three days mate!

You should definitly try to enter the competition.

If you can make a map like that in three days, imagine what you could do without rushing and taking your time ;-)
Thanks given by:
(06 Apr 13, 02:10AM)Andrez Wrote: I'm still noob at rooms developing, especially when it's about to link them each other, but I also wanted to create a real urban map, so I put all the effort on open streets rather than rooms.

I would say this way is the best by far:
But drewing a plan is almost the same thing. This technic make you aware or the future gameplay, and you can see from the start if the map is going to be fair or not.

BTW: We made an error during the mapping process, we just detailed the rooms without making them huger before, that's why the map gives this "suffocating" feel. Lack of space.
Thanks given by:
Holy crap a Quad link
Thanks given by:
(07 Apr 13, 01:12PM)Orynge Wrote: Holy crap a Quad link

call the police
Thanks given by:
(06 Apr 13, 02:10AM)Andrez Wrote: Anyway I didn't get the Akimbo and SVN things... What did you mean?

The map version you posted on akimbo is not compatible with 1.2+
Thanks given by:
(08 Apr 13, 05:22PM)Luc@s Wrote:
(06 Apr 13, 02:10AM)Andrez Wrote: Anyway I didn't get the Akimbo and SVN things... What did you mean?

The map version you posted on akimbo is not compatible with 1.2+

http://ac-akimbo.net/showthread.php?tid=124
easy-to-use copy & paste .cfg updater

A bunch of mappers have been surprised by the compatibility kill, so you aren't alone. :D

#release1.2.0.0already
Thanks given by:
Yep, I know about that, it's just I want it to be for 1104 until the last day before 1.2 lol
Thanks given by: