Assault Cube's niche shrinking.
Random observation, not meant to be positive or negative. tl;dr at end for lazy people.

Assault Cube once had a few strengths that made it worth playing compared to other fps games to a bunch of players. Nowadays those strengths have lost their luster a bit.

Low latency/Lag:

So ugly that it's so lightweight that it runs on any computer!11111111:

Free in money, free in freedom:

Unique:

le conclusion/tl;dr: The niche is shrinking to the point where the only reason a lot of us stick around is because of our friends and nostalgia or just like to kick back and play a quick pub here and there. Plenty of other free games have better graphics, gameplay with more depth, with smoother fps, less lag, etc. Loyalists to AC are the ones who will keep it alive, we shouldn't assume that new batches of players will just keep trickling in to replace those who leave.

Also, this was made for a parody/opposite world dev team thread some of us had planned for fun with plays on their names like Hamz/Sukz/RandumPeeWee/etc. but never happened for some reason.
Thanks given by:
I don't think anyone disagrees or was unaware.
Thanks given by:
AC forums need moar AC bashing.
Thanks given by:
(06 Mar 13, 09:37PM)InitialSAW Wrote: AC forums need moar AC bashing.
Thanks given by:
Nothing new ...
Thanks given by:
[Image: 055b332c412b45959f8f581.png]

(06 Mar 13, 08:57PM)GDM Wrote: I don't think anyone disagrees or was unaware.
Going by the reply after yours, I'd say not everyone is willing to admit it yet, though it's important for moving forward.
But yeah point of the thread is the old strengths are fading. Just wondering which new strengths can take it's place for future ac. :3
Thanks given by:
Try bo2 you wont be disappointed if you are looking for lags in commercial games :p
I don't think we can do something about lag but it's true that I don't see how the anti-cheat can be useful. But maybe I'm wrong and maybe without it, hackers would be a lot more.

With some commands (mainly for maps with water) I'm able to get 200 fps almost on all official maps. I tried many other online FPS and assaultcube is one of the few my pc can run (crashing over and over again on tf2 with lowest settings). So I think frames per seconds are actually a good point for AC.

Stef Wrote:I also picked the 'vote passed'-sound as an audio-indicator for 'ktf flag scored'. Of course, that's a bad solution and it should have been replaced by an unique sound before the 1.0 release. The 'I'll do it in a few days' phrase said by makke will celebrate it's first birthday in a few weeks... and don't think, I never reminded him ;)
Full post here

That quote is from 2009. 2013 and nothing changed. If you read the whole post you can find other examples. Removing flags from douze without any serious reason was way more important ! A game start dying when nobody develop it. I mean makke and drian shouldn't have given up this project. Backports should be from AC to sauer instead of from sauer to AC. Actually devs focus too much on how this game "was intended" instead on how we can make it better.

I don't wanna be to hard with devs because I know taking a decision is hard and we cant please everyone. Fox example reducing the AR kickback. Needed for competitive games but terrible for gemas. Also I've seen that the AR was back to 20 rounds in the SVN? If Im not wrong that's a good point for the dev team who did listen. Thx I hope.

Didn't understand everything so I hope Im not offtopic too much.

inb4 im a troll and everything I said is the same :p
Thanks given by:
Breaking news right here.
Thanks given by:
dat phd analysis
Thanks given by:
Shiiiiit nigga, couldn't of said it better.

Make game look better, people getting ~60 fps now a days NEED to update their PC's lmfao.
Thanks given by:
(07 Mar 13, 03:39AM)Edward Wrote: ...
Stef Wrote:I also picked the 'vote passed'-sound as an audio-indicator for 'ktf flag scored'. Of course, that's a bad solution and it should have been replaced by an unique sound before the 1.0 release. The 'I'll do it in a few days' phrase said by makke will celebrate it's first birthday in a few weeks... and don't think, I never reminded him ;)
Full post here

That quote is from 2009. 2013 and nothing changed...

I feel like I've taken on stef's role with regard to this:
http://forum.cubers.net/thread-6244-post...#pid117366
Thanks given by:
You wrote Assault Cube instead of AssaultCube. Do you want to watch the world burning?
Thanks given by:
Player models need refresh. Other effects are good enough (ok, the "puff" of the nade is bad, even fireworks have wider range).
Thanks given by:
Protox Reskin forever and always.
Thanks given by:
GTA:SA is smooth with 25 fps, I don't know why and how.
Thanks given by:
What if the fps counter in ac is wrong? :O
25=smooth
60=still not smooth
Somethings wrong or is it just the engine?
Thanks given by:
I always thought the counter was broken. I ran AC with MSI Afterburner open and framerate stats in the OSD. Whenever I try /maxfps 1000, both counters show that my game is displaying 1000fps. However if I type /maxfps 0 then my in-game counter will display 1000fps, but MSI's OSD will display around 1200-ish fps or even up to 2000 when I look at a wall.

There's also a similar glitch whereby /maxfps 300 and /maxfps 800 will show an unstable framerate on the counter, yet a stable framerate in MSI's OSD, and everything appears smooth and non-choppy.

Fix the counter! ;P
Thanks given by:
I can take care of the bashing part if ya want. Xept it'll be more player oriented tehehe...
Thanks given by:
When was AssaultCube a rip-off of Action Quake?
The only problem was that ActionCube (AC's previous name) was too similar for id's liking.
Thanks given by:
Seems like it's inspired by it though. :)
cube=quake ac=aq
the math makes sense. Don't see why he'd name it Action Cube otherwise.
Either way, AQ2 does look like AC on drugs.
Thanks given by:
Realistic environments, goblins in every corners or not, they are all Quake-likes.
Thanks given by:
Also, AC has unique pacing.
Faster than CS, but not as fast as Quake.
Thanks given by:
niche apparently shrunk too small that it kicked Larry & Xenon out of AC.
Possibly only until 1.2.0.0 though.
Thanks given by:
There will always be new players. Beginners with low skills yet. They ll continue to play? No.
Those who remain are those who befriended veteran players. (most of the time).
The older players teach how to connect the private servers, configuring the game etc. ..
What keeps players is friendship. When the game is weak is because friendship is weak. When Devs and Mods are weak, the game is weak and friendship is also weak. Currently the clans are weak, the forum is weak, the game is weak.
Renewal Team of Devs - Nice
Renewal Mod? - Remove temperamental moderators (they are offensive and sentimental)
So:
Create a positive forum, nice moderated , clear rules and have a lot of cooperation. It's amazing there with a group of players who insist on being supportive, teach new users/players and are very humorous. They find questions in the forum and respond with disposal. Unlike some moderators who only appear to create a bad atmosphere in the forum. They use ridiculous terms to despise users. They are destroying the forum. And this is a differential in AC.
Who cares about grafic ? is 2013! Think in the right way
Thanks given by:
Take a look in the mirror before pointing fingers at the devs for creating a bad atmosphere on the forums. I rarely see a constructive post coming from you 1cap. The majority of your posts attack the devs and moderators over and over again. You think that is very cooperative and good forum atmopshere???

A good start towards a better forum would be you getting off your high horse; thinking all of us are wrong and you're just perfect.
Thanks given by:
Yes, I believe that the use of the rifle to run and jump is the differential of the game.
I think the Cube 2 very fast. And the AC at a good speed. But I really like is that I find the players on the server. Some folks I know for a long time.
It is also interesting to find new players, lost "and teach how to play.
Thanks given by:
Why the fck are you talking about rifles now?
Thanks given by:
The AR and the jump is the differential?? The Fuk I just read?!?! DAMN RIGHT it's the differential!! What makes the AR boss is the fucking rifle jump! Hell yeah!! Other weps just need to be brought up to par with it on a pound for pound ability and we'll be good. And shotty needs more spread, plus SMG needs more kill ability other than who's got the quicker reflexes. Althouh I see what ya mean there.
Thanks given by:
Also its' a rare game that works on almost all platforms.
Thanks given by:
niche shrinking? i got some pills that will help your niche grow 3-4"
[Image: 21spike_jeremy_ron,0.jpg]
Thanks given by: