A suggestion: smoke grenades
(24 Jan 13, 03:42PM)Guest One Wrote: Ok guys.
I tried.

Don't feel as if anybody was trying to undermine your suggestion. It wasn't a bad idea in itself, but just doesn't suit AC's style of gameplay which involves a lot of fast-paced movement.
Thanks given by:
This^ all the way. Your suggestion was actually somewhat unique (as opposed to some others asking for new weapons to choose from, etc.), so I'm curious to see what else you might come up with. :)
Thanks given by:
this is one reason AC is going down, down, DOWN :(
Thanks given by:
Quote:Dustin Browder, game director for the upcoming StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm, knows that if the game isn’t great, it’s the studio's fault. “All the mistakes are ours,” said Browder in a recent interview. “If it’s bad it’s us -- it’s the dev team.” To make sure this doesn’t happen Browder says the team relies on the advice and feedback of other talented developers at Blizzard, as well as the responses from their most valuable resource: the community.

This is win.
Thanks given by:
^There's one flaw with your argument, Nightmare.
I don't think any of the people who responded to this thread are devs.
---offtopic, but still worth the read---
Not every one of AC's problems can be immediately thrown on the devs' shoulders. The relationship between the community and devs is very poor in my opinion; on one hand, members of the community constantly tearing them down, while on the other hand there are some instances where, possibly because of the aforementioned treatment, the devs are a bit terse in dealing with the community. I think that if we want this game to actually progress, as it has done before, we need to fix this communication. This relationship wasn't always this way; I know back in 1.0, and arguably in early 1.1. I think a lot of it is just fueled by what some perceive as inactivity in the development, when in fact there is some.
Thanks given by:
Not an arguement. Just a dev that takes responsibility for any fails that happen under his watch, and a dev that gets the job done.

Communication could improve though, yeah.
devs: test test test
5/10,000 community members: hiiii svn battleeeee, our 20 minutes of testing with this small group will determine the future of the game.
38/10,000 community members: ac_terros is our first place map, add it please.
devs: say hello to the 2nd place map. Not the first time we've done this either. See iceroad/dingy/etc. 1st place is overrated, we're too hipster for that.

Need more telephones imo.
Thanks given by:
smoke grenades can be fun on tosok :)
Thanks given by:
(24 Jan 13, 10:23PM)Nightmare Wrote: ...

Well, you said 5/10K, it's kinda false because i'm also testing and reporting bugs (on this forum and directly to Lucas/RK), Brett is probably the #1 tester on SVN. I'm saying my advices, and you could do this too, SVN is not only for devs.

And by the way about the vote, it was not a contest, it's just for devs to see what maps should be taken in consideration more seriously, because in a contest I would be seriously offended to see ac_terros first before those master-pieces of mapping following.
Thanks given by:
(25 Jan 13, 05:02PM).ExodusS* Wrote:
(24 Jan 13, 10:23PM)Nightmare Wrote: ...

Well, you said 5/10K, it's kinda false because i'm also testing and reporting bugs (on this forum and directly to Lucas/RK), Brett is probably the #1 tester on SVN. I'm saying my advices, and you could do this too, SVN is not only for devs.

And by the way about the vote, it was not a contest, it's just for devs to see what maps should be taken in consideration more seriously, because in a contest I would be seriously offended to see ac_terros first before those master-pieces of mapping following.

Seriously, you probably play SVN more than I do :3
Thanks given by:
le oui le oui le oui
Already in the 5 man testing team. :p
I bother aerkefiende daily. <3
Thanks given by:
I'm in too! With Toca, improving and testing a whole range of new mapmodels but I guess there is only 5 people who'd know that...
Thanks given by:
The toca/cleaner mapmodel additions are <3
[greedy]More please. :3[/greedy]

xD the 5 svn tester number was when aerke asked for testing sessions and we ended up with 2v2's both times, which led to significant weapon balance changes.
Thanks given by:
break on contact nades pls
Thanks given by:
I'm all for shooting down something before it exists as much as the next guy, but i think new things in AC like smokes or flashes could make for more interesting game play, why is it that people assume if the smoke were to be added that it would be just like the regular grenade?, maybe if it spawned like akimbo then there wouldn't be the problem of 20 people spamming smokes and ruining frame rates.. smokes would make for many interesting tactics. just concealing one angle instills doubt in the enemies mind making them move differently.
Thanks given by:
But what if the players who hack are using infinite grenade hacks with smoke grenades? Then they'll be smoking up the whole place and lagging really badly!
Thanks given by:
(27 Jan 13, 11:17PM)Cemer Wrote: break on contact nades pls

I'd enjoy some contact 'nades in AC alongside regular 'nades, if this is at all possible. That being said, regular 'nades can be as useful and fun as contact 'nades in certain situations. Clearing out a corner full of opponents with a well-timed ricochet, for example.

(29 Jan 13, 11:43PM)Lee Wrote: But what if the players who hack are using infinite grenade hacks with smoke grenades? Then they'll be smoking up the whole place and lagging really badly!

An infinite grenade hack? That itself would be cause for concern, let alone pairing it with smoke grenades. Wouldn't blacklists take care of such hackers, though?

If smoke grenades were to be implemented into AC, they would probably be placed in a similar format to akimbo (as Vermi suggested), so as to limit lag caused by spammed smoke grenades. Even so, mappers would have to consider where to place smoke grenades on their maps, as every other pickup. Pickup placements might have to be edited to accommodate the smoke grenades, a hassle for both old and new maps alike.

I'm convinced that the fate of smoke grenades in AC was decided by the first page. You can't shoot through it, it doesn't fit in with AC's style, it would cause performance problems for those with significantly older computers, etc. If anyone still believes otherwise, I would be more than interested to see what they think smoke grenades would bring to the table. If not, then perhaps it's time to lock this baby up.
Thanks given by:
On contact would be too easy, the skill is cooking the nade precisely so it's basically like a break on contact anyway, It doesn't take a genius to see people don't want smokes in AC, I just thought it could add some depth is all.
Thanks given by:
I am against for some reasons but I don't think devs are totally insane yet so it wont be implemented :p Don't waste your time arguing.
Thanks given by: