A suggestion: smoke grenades
Hello AC devs,

what do you think of including smoke grenades in AC?
this would make the game more exciting and intriguing, more tactical, more action!
Thanks given by:
What effect exactly would these tear gas grenades have?
Thanks given by:
(22 Jan 13, 01:39PM)Cactus Wrote: What effect exactly would these tear gas grenades have?

Confuse the enemy (especially in enclosed places) and cloud his vision.
Thanks given by:
B-But everyone is wearing gas masks...
Thanks given by:
inb4 'ac isnt cod'

But really? No. That would encourage passive gameplay and slow down the gameplay even more that it has slowed already. AC is fast-paced, stun grenades dont have any place here. For me at least.
Thanks given by:
(22 Jan 13, 01:48PM)InitialSAW Wrote: B-But everyone is wearing gas masks...

Yes, this is true, but the "smoke" effect would be nice, this can confuse the enemies.

EDIT: i'm editing the thread title in "smoke grenades".
This is more appropiate ;-)
Thanks given by:
(22 Jan 13, 01:50PM)PolarHedgehog Wrote: inb4 'ac isnt cod'

But really? No. That would encourage passive gameplay and slow down the gameplay even more that it has slowed already. AC is fast-paced, stun grenades dont have any place here. For me at least.

You're not the only one thinking that.

Like he's stated, Smoke grenades do NOT benefit ac what's so ever.
Thanks given by:
Lamest thing ever. Don't ever think something like that again.
Thanks given by:
I think that this can increase the tactical, the action and the reality of the game.
The smoke should last some second.
It's something like this http://counterstrike.wikia.com/wiki/Smoke_grenade (and please, i know: AC isn't CS).
Thanks given by:
The idea doesn't really fit AC's fast action style of gameplay well. Imagine a team throws smoke grenades at all exits of the enemy's base and camps, waiting for people to come out and splatter them with shotties. I'm sure the players who were splattered would feel cheaply killed, and wait for the smoke to subside before leaving the base again (e.g. slowing down gameplay) or theres also a good chance they would just find another server.

I doubt there will ever be any weapons added to the game that purposefully visually or audibly impair other clients. (smoke/flash grenades, etc.) Its just not AC.
Thanks given by:
I dont think anything like this should be added to AC. This is AC not CS. The only thing that I think if added then it should be another weapon but no shit like this.
Thanks given by:
Fork the game and add smoke grenades. It's the only way fun, progressive stuff can be added.
Thanks given by:
(22 Jan 13, 07:29PM)Nightmare Wrote: Fork the game and add smoke grenades. It's the only way fun, progressive stuff can be added.
Yeah, you know what? Just code it and while you're at it add some rain too.
Thanks given by:
smoke will just block vision of people not moving.

this is honestly terrible for competitive. you throw one, and someone takes your flag. he rifles RIGHT into it. now you cant see him. i mean it sounds hilarious, but this would be redundant imo

rofl
Thanks given by:
(22 Jan 13, 07:29PM)Nightmare Wrote: Fork the game and add smoke grenades. It's the only way fun, progressive stuff can be added.

I AGREEE! ... would make the game abit funnier .... and more exiting xD
Thanks given by:
^the right way of course, replacing non-free to use stuff. :)
Smoke Cube ftw
Thanks given by:
"Guest One" (I'll admit your username is quite dubious): Unfortunately, I don't think any radically changing pickups/weapons or the like will be added at this time (at least...not until the rocket launchers? Hint hint), especially with finishing touches being made on 1.2.
Glad you have some creative ideas though, not just some normal weapon addition.
Thanks given by:
The main problem with smoke grenades is the extra load on graphics it would cause... can you imagine the amount of lag you would get on an old machine when there were 4 or 5 smoke grenades thrown in a small area? It would suck.
Thanks given by:
(22 Jan 13, 03:20PM)Andrez Wrote: Lamest thing ever. Don't ever think something like that again, or the devs permaban you.
___
(22 Jan 13, 08:32PM)DES|Cleaner Wrote: Yeah, you know what? Just code it and while you're at it add some rain too.

Rain, would be nice..or dark clouds as a skymap.
Thanks given by:
(23 Jan 13, 03:46AM)ChO Wrote:
(22 Jan 13, 03:20PM)Andrez Wrote: Lamest thing ever. Don't ever think something like that again, or the devs permaban you.

You added that in there.
Thanks given by:
I don't think smoke grenades have their place in AC.
Thanks given by:
Smoke grenades sound cool at first, but like everyone else said, it wouldn't really fit with AC.

Besides... iirc, the way AC works, making it so that you couldn't see past the smoke cloud would also mean you couldn't shoot through the smoke cloud... which is a very obvious problem. In addition, a smoke effect would probably look terrible, unless you made it with fancy particle effects (which really wouldn't fit with the look of AC, although it would probably look cool anyway), but that brings problems such as what Zarjio mentioned, with intense processing, and such a thing would probably inflate AC's download size, which is meant to be very small (and in some cases is a point of pride).

With all this being said, your intentions to try to improve the game is not a bad thing (despite many choosing to meet your suggestion with sarcasm and/or cynicism).

Thank you for trying :)
Thanks given by:
Ditto.
This is why I also mention the "rain" effect, although it would certainly give another atmosphere/feeling to the game it is simply not a feature acceptable considering the strict requirements implied to AC
Thanks given by:
And then everyone using the /smokeoff command. No thank you. If you like more smoke try /fog 30 and youll be happy :D
Thanks given by:
(23 Jan 13, 12:40PM)YesWeCamp Wrote: And then everyone using the /smokeoff command. No thank you. If you like more smoke try /fog 30 and youll be happy :D

64*

Like this you also see some stranges ghosts and bugs.
Thanks given by:
They did this on Urban Terror. Now only the noob servers use them b/c the pros hate them. Everyone chucks smoke, no on can see shit, and the server lags like hell. I only go on servers that don't allow smoke.

Personally I don't like this idea.
Thanks given by:
Haha, alpha blending being more costly than stencil shadows? Really?
Smoke grenades are lame, if it ever gets implemented, then IR googles should be added too :P
Thanks given by:
smoke grenades have no place in AC gameplay, for several reasons, most of them already stated on this thread
Thanks given by:
(23 Jan 13, 08:55PM)titiPT Wrote: smoke grenades have no place in AC gameplay, for several reasons, most of them already stated on this thread
Thanks given by:
Ok guys.
I tried.
Thanks given by: